Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1926711 - 07/14/12 01:11 PM Re: Can you give examples of why we want 88 rather than 76 keys? [Re: turnstyle]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
This is where I keep my digital piano (88 keys of course.) Not sure if this is the best place for it, in the storage room, but the room is equipped as a work room, with a table and electrig plugs.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1926718 - 07/14/12 01:50 PM Re: Can you give examples of why we want 88 rather than 76 keys? [Re: turnstyle]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
I also live in a very small room, and my DP actually lives in front of my closet (I guess i'm not much of a clothes horse anymore... my closet is mostly storage). Here's a pic of my setup (the room is so small you can see a corner of my bed in the lower right, which I was kneeling upon when I took the pic)

neglected piano blog

#1926760 - 07/14/12 04:44 PM Re: Can you give examples of why we want 88 rather than 76 keys? [Re: turnstyle]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"...As for Fatar keysets... well, they make better and worse ones, but before you jump off that bridge, try the Search feature and see what other members of this forum have had to say...."

Whoops--- disoriented. I forgot what forum we are on. I should have said, "the Digital Pianos, Synths and Keyboards forum."

And btw, good luck with the Search feature.

#1926812 - 07/14/12 07:36 PM Re: Can you give examples of why we want 88 rather than 76 keys? [Re: turnstyle]
Albany Offline

Loc: France
My harpsichord has 48 keys. 48.

I have never missed a key. So unless you play extreme repertoire from romantique and post romantique era, you don't need 88 keys.

Edited by Albany (07/14/12 07:36 PM)

#1926823 - 07/14/12 08:26 PM Re: Can you give examples of why we want 88 rather than 76 keys? [Re: turnstyle]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I wonder too. I never seem to get beyond 2nd C above middle C or 3rd F below middle C.

#1926945 - 07/15/12 02:31 AM Re: Can you give examples of why we want 88 rather than 76 keys? [Re: turnstyle]
BrokenChord Offline

Loc: Michigan
Um...because a piano has 88 keys and not 76.

Pretty simple concept.

#1929810 - 07/20/12 04:43 PM Re: Can you give examples of why we want 88 rather than 76 keys? [Re: turnstyle]
Colin Dunn Offline

Loc: Arvada, CO
I second the recommendation for 88 keys. Then you can play any piano repertoire you want, now or later, without worry.

The 76-, 61-, and 49-key digital keyboards don't have full piano range. They were meant to be portable, to be used on stage performing mainly synth/organ parts.

The cost savings going with the shorter keyboard isn't worth it, particularly with a 76- vs. an 88-key keyboard. The 49- and 61-key boards can be much cheaper, but they often have "organ-touch" instead of "piano-touch" keys.

With a 48-key harpsichord, that shorter compass was commonplace during the Baroque era, and if you play mainly Baroque harpsichord music, it will fit within this range. But many piano students are interested in learning to play music from the 19th-20th centuries, when piano keyboards had at least 85, and usually 88 keys.

#1930502 - 07/22/12 01:06 AM Re: Can you give examples of why we want 88 rather than 76 keys? [Re: turnstyle]
polyphasicpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

This is 97 keys. More is always better . . . its just a fact of human nature.

#1930527 - 07/22/12 02:51 AM Re: Can you give examples of why we want 88 rather than 76 keys? [Re: turnstyle]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

It of course depends on the music you want to play with your keyboard. There are quite a number of classical pieces requiring 88 keys but they are generally at a very advanced level (e.g. Liszt Campanella, Ravel Jeux D'eau, Rachmaninov G# minor prelude etc). If you aren't going to play these say in the next 5 years, no harm with 76 keys. If you do end up needing 88 keys after 5 years, well, it's time for an upgrade anyway.

Good luck!

#1931007 - 07/23/12 12:33 AM Re: Can you give examples of why we want 88 rather than 76 keys? [Re: turnstyle]
DougMorgan Offline

Loc: Kelowna BC, Canada
In addition to the other, very good points, on an acoustic piano the sound quality would suffer with fewer than 88 keys.

With an acoustic piano when the sustain pedal is pressed all the related strings will vibrate in addition to the notes actually played, giving a fuller, more complex sound. A digital piano might have sustain samples that include the missing keys but I would suspect with fewer than 88 keys that other corners were cut as well and the unit may not sound all that great.

I started on a digital piano and I found that the keyboard touch was critical to learning to play with expression so I would make sure that the piano you are looking at has the most realistic action possible.

Doug

#1931022 - 07/23/12 12:55 AM Re: Can you give examples of why we want 88 rather than 76 keys? [Re: turnstyle]
Augustina Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I would recommend a full size keyboard. 88 keys. A Year ago I had a keyboard that only had 61 keys on it. I got frustrated with it often as I was unable to play a lot of the pieces that I wanted to. So I finally got a keyboard that has 76 keys.

My keyboard works for most of the pieces I play. I have also noticed a big difference in the way it sounds compared to my other keyboard. However; There have been a few songs where there are not enough keys. The one I am working on now for example: There are not enough keys on my keyboard to play the ending.
So my recommendation is a full size piano/keyboard.
grin

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
103 registered (Abby Pianoman, 36251, A Guy, AndrewAJC, accordeur, 27 invisible), 1415 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75369 Members
42 Forums
155817 Topics
2288010 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How important are the wheels for you?
by doremi
Today at 06:46 PM
Classical teacher for non-classical student?
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 06:12 PM
A220-A440 Temperament recording
by Hakki
Today at 03:34 PM
Yamaha CLP-430 or Kawai CA-15
by ilkergoksen
Today at 02:08 PM
Just wanted to say thank you
by bobamser
Today at 01:49 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission