2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 33 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 32 33
The SP32 will not work with the PX-150 or PX-350. You need a SP33. I'm certain Kraft could sell you an SP33 separately.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
M
M
Originally Posted by xorbe
Originally Posted by Marvin Eight
Still trying to figure out the choice between a px-350 and a used MO8.

The MO8 is almost twice as heavy (46.3 lbs) and significantly deeper (15.3") and has BHE not GHS/GH. I looked at a MOX8 before getting my 330 -- MOX8 is awesome, but it's a mountain of wizardry! Depends on what you want. I just wanted a 3-pedal setup with okay piano sound/key feel, and a GM patch set for kicks. I suspect the MO8 doesn't excel at realistic acoustic piano sound -- it's a synth not a digital piano.

Yeah, I've checked out both a motif xs8 and a MOX8 as well. Both are ssweeeet keyboards and amazing toys. In fact, I could get either one used for around $1200, but that's nearly double the PX-350's price and funds are tight. The XS8 is also huuuuge, not that I'm gigging with it or anything. I really look forward to hearing and playing the px-350 when it finally arrives at the local GC.

K
K
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
The SP32 will not work with the PX-150 or PX-350. You need a SP33. I'm certain Kraft could sell you an SP33 separately.

Does the SP33 support progressive half-pedalling or is it just none/half/full like the SP32?

Last edited by kmf123kmf; 09/26/12 03:51 PM.
kmf123kmf,
The SP32 and SP33 BOTH support a "progressive half-pedaling." It is a variable controller from 0-127 in MIDI values. Not an on/off switch. The SP33 is actually velocity sensitive. The force at which you press the pedal also impacts the volume of the "damper sound". You can hear the dampers lifting off the strings and this will be either very subtle or more noticeable based on the how quickly you stomp on the damper pedal.

Last edited by Mike_Martin; 09/26/12 04:12 PM.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
The SP32 and SP33 BOTH support a "progressive half-pedaling." It is a variable controller from 0-127 in MIDI values. Not an on/off switch. The SP33 is actually velocity sensitive. The force at which you press the pedal also impacts the volume of the "damper sound". You can hear the dampers lifting off the strings and this will be either very subtle or more noticeable based on the how quickly you stomp on the damper pedal.

Oooh. One would think that this would be much more visibly advertised on the Casio tech specs web page ... but all it says is "Half-Damper pedal Operation"

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by xorbe

Oooh. One would think that this would be much more visibly advertised on the Casio tech specs web page ... but all it says is "Half-Damper pedal Operation"

Thanks for that info Mike!

"Half-pedaling" is yet another poorly descriptive term in this market space. "Partial-pedaling" or "continuous-pedaling" would have been better. But what can you do?

I can change it. I'll get our website updated asap. Which means that might take a while....so much going on. smile

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
K
K
kmf123kmf,

Thanks Mike. My impression of the SP32 behavior is based on how Pianoteq seems to interpret it. I think it must be the lack of velocity sensitivity that's making it seem like more of a switch.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I'm practically certain the SP32 has only three states: off/up, half, and full. Someone in this forum actually reverse engineered it.

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 09/26/12 06:09 PM.
There may be a difference between what happens INTERNALLY versus what is sent via MIDI. I'll do my best to confirm asap. Based on my experience with Privia, INTERNALLY it is operating full range.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Here's the thread/post I was thinking of:

Sustain Pedal Recommendation

The author was actually working with the PX-120 (and I'm not sure whether the SP32 is compatible with that model), but the physical interface on my PX-330 (underneath) at least looks the same as the one in the author's writeup.

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 09/26/12 07:55 PM.
B
B
Well, I just ordered a PX-150 and the SP-33. CS-67 arrived via Amazon Prime today. I put it together...my roommates wanted to know why I bought a "desk" that doesnt have a table-top smirk

I have confirmed that via MIDI the SP33 is sending three values. Based on what I'm hearing when I play it, I still believe the pedal is transmitting a full range of values to the internal sound engine. I'm certainly prepared to put foot in mouth if I'm wrong but I've sent a note to our team in Tokyo to confirm.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
Update to a topic that was discussed earlier regarding velocity resolution. The new Privia models support the high resolution MIDI velocity specification.

http://www.midi.org/techspecs/ca31.pdf

For every note value sent, Privia is also transmitting the appropriate CC#88 to go with it.

[Linked Image]

This makes the Privia models an ideal controller for software products such as Pianoteq 4 which support high resolution MIDI. Also correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not aware of any other digital piano that supports this specification.

Last edited by Mike_Martin; 09/27/12 10:47 AM.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
For every note value sent, Privia is also transmitting the appropriate CC#88 to go with it.

This makes the Privia models an ideal controller for software products such as Pianoteq 4 which support high resolution MIDI. Also correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not aware of any other digital piano that supports this specification.

Wow, great feature! Off hand, I don't know any MIDI controller that supports this except for the $3000 VAX77.

E
E
After a lot of delay, I decided to order a DP, the PX-350 smile FINALLY.

Started considering different DPs some 6 months ago and then moving and other things got in the way. In the process I thought about MIDI keyboards and software pianos, Kawais, Yamahas and Rolands. At one point I almost bought the F-120, but then the more I tried it, the more I hated the supernatural sound.

After some time I got back into DP-exploring and noticed that Yamaha P-105 and new Casios were on their way. I don't really like the GHS action and featurelessness of the P-105 so I went for the PX-350. Time to end the reign of Roland EXR-3.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

M
M
Amazing - a DPBSD review and analysis on a piano that hasn't even been released yet! Thanks dewster and Mike Martin for making this possible. What a nice surprise to wake up to this morning smile

(Posted over here to keep the clutter down in the project thread.)

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
- Fails the silent replay test - note damps @ pedal up.

What is that, and why does pretty much every DP "fail" that test? Just curious. (I didn't want to clutter the official DPBSD thread with that question a few weeks ago, but now seems like a good time to ask.)

Anyways, looks like I'll be upgrading around Christmas to the PX-350 then!

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Okee dokee went to Sam Ash this morning and the PX350 had just arrived since my last visit a few days ago.

The speakers IMHO are much improved of those in the PX-150 and seem to cover the entire dynamic range of the piano sounds; I feel as though the PX-150 speakers sound somewhat hallow.

I played all 4 boards (130/330/150/350)and have the following observations:
I am glad I purchased my 130 in April- never felt as though I wished I waited. I will use it as a gigging/open mic/songwriting group piano.
330- I considered this when getting the P95 but did not need the extra sounds at the time.
150- 130 seems more playable with the speakers
350- I did not really cycle though settings but I liked it.
I might get one. What did I like? Of the 7-9 different piano sounds I really enjoyed the Mellow and Dolce ones. I heard more of the lower middle range EQ through the speakers.
I go back to the 130 for a few minutes, and find I like the design of the 350's action. It offers something: Does not have the "plastic" feel of some of the other boards- not that those are unsatisfactory.

Of the 3 boards that are new this week in stores: I like the PX350 the best, followed by the P105 and the P150.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
Page 19 of 33 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission