Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1928207 - 07/17/12 06:17 PM engraving beams - how to pick stem lengths?
Stephen Hazel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle-ish, WA
Ok, I'm familiar with MOST of the algorithms for drawing standard notation. Stem lengths should be 3.5 stave spaces, extending for 32nd notes and beyond. Also extending to middle line of staff if head reaches 2nd line away from staff or beyond.

What I =don't= get is how to pick stem lengths for beamed notes.
I've read up in the book "Behind Bars" (which is GREAT), and I see that 1 or 2 beams for stem up notes should hang from a line or be split in half by a line, but NEVER centered on a space. Similarly, stem down'd beams should sit on a line or be split. Beams should be 1/2 a stave space with 1/4 stave space between.

But how do I pick stem lengths?
From what I can see, I start with the 2 end notes - the note that'll have shortest length is my "anchor" and give it 3.5 space length, then the other notes' stems extend/shrink to hit the beam where they will. This note's stem CAN contract to 3 spaces if beam is within staff, or 2.5 if beam is outside staff.

But what if a note withIN the beam (not one of the 2 outside notes) is so short that it gets down to length 1 or 0 or negative??

Any engravers on here? I could REALLY use some help with this...

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1928307 - 07/17/12 11:47 PM Re: engraving beams - how to pick stem lengths? [Re: Stephen Hazel]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
I think that I *might* be able to help, once I get in my studio, but in the meantime:

I didn't think there were traditional engravers left in the world in 2012! Or otherwise said: I think that you're planning on creating a notation software of some sort, which is brilliant as it goes! ^_^ Be back later on, since it's 06:47 over here and too early!

#1928316 - 07/18/12 12:19 AM Re: engraving beams - how to pick stem lengths? [Re: Stephen Hazel]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I think you've basically got it - I don't think there is an algorithm for the last case you mention (which is why Finale and Sibelius give the engraver control over those things.)

I also checked the Read manual, and he simply says to employ common sense in exceptional circumstances.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1928329 - 07/18/12 01:25 AM Re: engraving beams - how to pick stem lengths? [Re: Stephen Hazel]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Stephen Hazel
But how do I pick stem lengths?
From what I can see, I start with the 2 end notes - the note that'll have shortest length is my "anchor" and give it 3.5 space length, then the other notes' stems extend/shrink to hit the beam where they will. This note's stem CAN contract to 3 spaces if beam is within staff, or 2.5 if beam is outside staff.

But what if a note withIN the beam (not one of the 2 outside notes) is so short that it gets down to length 1 or 0 or negative??

Any engravers on here? I could REALLY use some help with this...
I think I got what you're saying.

In such cases you don't get the length of the stems from the two ends of the beam, but from the two 'shortest' (or 'longests') notes from the centre.

I'll provide a couple of extreme examples from Finale (and Sibelius just for comparison reasons), to see what I mean...

There we go:

and

As you can see there are restrictions, but they can be slightly bend (especially if outside the staff as you mention), but the anchor notes are not the end notes most of the times...

I should note that Finale and Sibelius use a different music font (maestro for Finale, not sure for Sibelius), so there are some changes.

I made the files using the same midi file, so they are identical. The thing is that both software have different ideas on how short the stem notes should be (in the third beam in particular) and whether the beam should be above or bellow the notes. Which is rather interesting. I get a feeling (but would need to confirm with the people in Sibelius (*ahem* Avid) that Sibelius chose to flip the beam, in order to be the same as the other three behind it... (just an assumption here).

#1928330 - 07/18/12 01:28 AM Re: engraving beams - how to pick stem lengths? [Re: Stephen Hazel]
Stephen Hazel Offline
500 Post Club Member

argh - common sense - that is such a cop out smile

Yes, I'm trying my hand at notation software. It's probably the toughest code I've ever written and I'm REALLY regretting it, but I WILL see it through to the end.

I'll have to check out this "Read manual" you mention - I've been buying every notation book I can find.
Is it this? http://www.amazon.com/Music-Notation-Manual-Practice-Crescendo/dp/0800854535

Music Notation: A Manual of Modern Practice (Crescendo Book) [Paperback]
Gardner Read (Author)

Since beams seem to not slant MUCH, I think I'll start with level ones and go from there.

#1928332 - 07/18/12 01:31 AM Re: engraving beams - how to pick stem lengths? [Re: Stephen Hazel]
Stephen Hazel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oops - posted juuuuust after your 2nd response.

THANK YOU! I think that'll help me nail it.
We'll see tomorrow after 2 stiff cups of joe.

#1928338 - 07/18/12 01:54 AM Re: engraving beams - how to pick stem lengths? [Re: Stephen Hazel]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Stephen (Steve?)

The book that I use for notation, and engraving practices (although outdated) is still as great as it seems, and comes in CD (PDF) format!

http://www.amazon.com/The-art-music-engraving-processing/dp/B0006D07KY (it says out of print here)

but you can find it from here: http://www.npcimaging.com/books/TedRoss.htm (I bought it from there, and although I'm in Europe Nick was awesome and extremely helpful).

And, btw,

I'm EXTREMELY interested in what you seem to be doing. I don't know why you're doing it, but if you feel like discussing more, let me know and we'll find a way! smile

#1928442 - 07/18/12 09:38 AM Re: engraving beams - how to pick stem lengths? [Re: Stephen Hazel]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Stephen, good luck in your endeavor. I'm curious about your project as well. If I may speculate a bit. I've heard good things about Lillypond, it supposedly generates the some of the best looking notation right out of the box. What I've seen posted looked pretty good to me. However, in trying Lillypond myself I found it impossible to use. Is your project developing a graphical front end for Lillypond? That could be awesome!

#1928447 - 07/18/12 09:50 AM Re: engraving beams - how to pick stem lengths? [Re: Stephen Hazel]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I'll have to check out this "Read manual" you mention - I've been buying every notation book I can find.
Is it this? http://www.amazon.com/Music-Notation-Manual-Practice-Crescendo/dp/0800854535

Gardner Read (Author)

That's the one. Written in the days before computer notation, but it was one of the standard manuals used by composers for quite a while. It's extremely practical, and goes into some detail regarding the idiosyncrasies of different instruments as well.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1928454 - 07/18/12 10:07 AM Re: engraving beams - how to pick stem lengths? [Re: Kreisler]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kreisler

Gardner Read (Author)

That's the one. Written in the days before computer notation, but it was one of the standard manuals used by composers for quite a while. It's extremely practical, and goes into some detail regarding the idiosyncrasies of different instruments as well.
You know what?

I got that book, with the assumption that it was for contemporary practices (not modern) and I was thoroughly dissapointed. (I use Kurt Stones book about contemporary notation). I'll have to reread Gardner's book I think! wink

#1928505 - 07/18/12 11:50 AM Re: engraving beams - how to pick stem lengths? [Re: Stephen Hazel]
Stephen Hazel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ok, thanks so much Nikolas and Kreisler. I think I've got it now.
Just find the shortest stem of ANY of the notes, and shorten it as far as you're willing to go before it starts looking too weird.
So I'm gonna start with the recommended 3 spaces within staff, 2.5 outside and go from there. And, of course 3.5 if the notes are within a space of each other, etc.

I've also ordered the 2 books - I don't care about the quality, I need to know ALL hints.

I'm not sure you'ld really want to beam that 3rd figure (is it called a figure??)
That third beam in Nikolas' example has vertical gaps of more than an octave and I thought that, in general, you don't want to beam notes farther apart than an octave.

Ok, time to start writin' some code.

Sorry to disappoint you all (most likely:), but this will be a ZERO input notation renderer. Given ONLY a midi file, (hopefully recorded to a mentronome, or at least tap quantized), my goal is to make the best standard notation I can with NO human input.

I'm familiar with Lilypond, but as it's open source, I can't use it in my currently freeware app. Since I'm hoping that 38 years from now, It'll go commercial...
Also, although Lilypond produces beautiful renderings, aaaall the input required is a PAIN in the butt. Don't worry, I love re-inventing the wheel. It's what we programmers DO.

My app is a piano practice app for when you're a 5th grade kid on a digital and want to play some pop songs you find in midi files on the web similar to guitar hero but for real. And, HOPEFULLY, you have a teacher that will go along with this monstrosity and help you along the one true path. (Although, the majority seem to require acoustics and paper and classical music).

Like I say, I'm crazy like that. I could keep goin' on about this little project forever. I've pretty much dedicated my life to it. But I'll shut up now smile

I'm not sure if you guys imbibe, but I sure wish I could buy ya a couple beers.
Also, as you seem to be on top of this "answering extremely difficult questions about music" game, I thought I'd point you to
http://music.stackexchange.com/questions?sort=newest

It's not got NEAR the number of users as pianoworld, but it's got a great FAQ format that sort of "organically grows" a good solid knowledge base.
You may already know about it.

Ok, I promised to shut up, but if you have any further questions or detail about engraving, lemme know.

#1933697 - 07/28/12 05:51 PM Re: engraving beams - how to pick stem lengths? [Re: Stephen Hazel]
Stephen Hazel Offline
500 Post Club Member

argh!! I already had that Gardner Read book in hardcover and just realized I bought the paperback:( The cover looks too different between em - that is SNEAKY...
Oh well, I've still got the digital one coming and have 3 other references.
That'll hopefully do.

Read - Music Notation 2nd ed.
Gould - Behind Bars
Gerou/Lusk - Essential Dictionary of Music Notation (teeny size, but pretty good)

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
83 registered (AndrewJCW, BarryDMD, barbaram, 36251, Allard, 28 invisible), 1363 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156220 Topics
2294282 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Digital Piano for Touch
by JoeCPiano
07/28/14 04:50 AM
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
07/27/14 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
07/27/14 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
07/27/14 08:31 PM
Schulze Pollmann 113e Moderno detail information?
by pdxfz1
07/27/14 07:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission