Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
92 registered (AZNpiano, ando, AndreaS85, accordeur, 29 invisible), 1172 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1928661 - 07/18/12 05:16 PM Practice away from home?
Jakester Offline

I was considering getting a rollout/folding type keyboard to lay on my desk and practice at work during my lunch hour. I've just started working on hand independence and need all the practice time between lessons that I can get. Does anybody have any experience or recommendations on this type of keyboard? Thanks.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1928671 - 07/18/12 05:36 PM Re: Practice away from home? [Re: Jakester]
Woody-Woodruff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Coastal Mississippi
Jakester,

Welcome to Piano World and ABF. I have used a roll-up keyboard for years and recommend it. They lack proper touch and the keyboard is not quite the proper size (mine anyway) but they are certainly better than nothing.

Thanks,
Woody

#1928681 - 07/18/12 05:55 PM Re: Practice away from home? [Re: Jakester]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
It's not a keyboard to your fingers. It might satisfy your eyes. I don't think it will help much at all. Personally, I would prefer nothing to something that doesn't respond the same way as a real keyboard.

Far better to concentrate on playing your hand independence exercises (Bach? he asks, hopefully) with a focussed mind and a slow count and let the brain do it's stuff through a good night's sleep.

If you really want to get better try playing a virtual keyboard in your head, lap or just on your desk with your eyes closed and your brain engaged.

#1928687 - 07/18/12 06:03 PM Re: Practice away from home? [Re: zrtf90]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Originally Posted By: zrtf90
It's not a keyboard to your fingers. It might satisfy your eyes. I don't think it will help much at all. Personally, I would prefer nothing to something that doesn't respond the same way as a real keyboard.

Far better to concentrate on playing your hand independence exercises (Bach? he asks, hopefully) with a focussed mind and a slow count and let the brain do it's stuff through a good night's sleep.

If you really want to get better try playing a virtual keyboard in your head, lap or just on your desk with your eyes closed and your brain engaged.

nice wink

#1928703 - 07/18/12 06:26 PM Re: Practice away from home? [Re: Jakester]
John_In_Montreal Offline

Loc: Montreal Canada
Welcome to the forums Jakester smile

I second what Zrtf90 said - don't buy that roll-out keyboard. Besides, they sound terrible and do break if not properly handled. Better to "practice" other stuff that's just as important, if not more: ear training, theory, sight reading, focused LISTENING. There are tons of good resources on the web if you have access to a computer at lunchtime. Just my 2cents.

John

#1928738 - 07/18/12 08:19 PM Re: Practice away from home? [Re: Jakester]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
If you want to practice hand independence without a keyboard, try this book, which has a quite a few two-heanded rhythm reading exercises:
Studying Rhythm
(I purposely linked to an older edition -- check out the price on the current edition eek )

When you're first staring out, you can also make the single-rhythm exercises into two-handed ones by tapping a steady beat with one hand while you're reading the rhythms from the page with the other hand (when you're first developing hand independence, this can be harder than it sounds).

When I"m back at the keyboard, I play a simple ostinato with the left hand while improvising notes to the right hand rhythm which I am reading from the book.

Improving your rhythm reading skills helps hugely with sight reading in general.

Edited by tangleweeds (07/18/12 08:22 PM)
Edit Reason: computer has been posting before i tell it to

neglected piano blog

#1929121 - 07/19/12 02:32 PM Re: Practice away from home? [Re: tangleweeds]
wower Online   blank

Loc: Calgary
Originally Posted By: tangleweeds
If you want to practice hand independence without a keyboard, try this book, which has a quite a few two-heanded rhythm reading exercises:
Studying Rhythm
(I purposely linked to an older edition -- check out the price on the current edition eek)

I came into this thread for a totally different reason but thank you so much for the book recommendation. It's exactly what I've been on the lookout for. How did you first introduced to it? I orginally clicked thru to add my prespective that - depending on what one's goals are - time away from the piano, gaining new experiences to pour into my playing, has been benifical and something I never worry about. Writting from my job right now, I sympathize the desire to be back infront of the piano at any cost.

#1929146 - 07/19/12 03:36 PM Re: Practice away from home? [Re: wower]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Originally Posted By: wower
Originally Posted By: tangleweeds
Studying Rhythm
(I purposely linked to an older edition -- check out the price on the current edition eek)

I came into this thread for a totally different reason but thank you so much for the book recommendation. It's exactly what I've been on the lookout for. How did you first introduced to it?

I'm a theory geek and enjoy working from (outdated=affordable) editions of college theory texts, plus I always check out Amazon's suggestions for "people who bought this also bought that".

This one kept showing up and out of date editions were cheap, so I thought I'd give it a try. I was very happy to discover that it had a number of two-handed rhythm reading selections, as well as the standard one-handed ones.

I got into rhythm reading practice when I noticed that many of my sight reading issues were not caused by problems in note recognition (computer trainers had solved that!), but a lack of fluency in rhythm reading. And once I discovered some good rhythm reading books (many of them are not very musical), I discovered that it was something I enjoyed.

neglected piano blog

#1929230 - 07/19/12 06:32 PM Re: Practice away from home? [Re: Jakester]
Jakester Offline

Thanks for all the feedback. It's very helpful and gives me a direction to take.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rehanging hammers
by rysowers
04/26/15 11:03 PM
Yamaha CP4 Best Buy!!!
by tnsettlemo
04/26/15 09:43 PM
Grand Piano House name change
by newgeneration
04/26/15 08:59 PM
Exercises for syncopation
by DeadPoets
04/26/15 08:54 PM
Valentina Lisitsa--web site
by Bech
04/26/15 08:04 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,055 Registered Members
44 Forums
163,572 Topics
2,400,102 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission