2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 5 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
SpaceDementia, good to hear from you. I'm glad what I wrote could be helpful.

keystring said exactly what I was about to say: your teacher should be teaching you how to do these things. Feel free to ask here also, but a good teacher should be working with you to identify exactly what the issues are and come up with a multitude of approaches tailored to you.

Originally Posted by keystring
SpaceDementia, the job of a teacher is not just to teach you pieces and how they go, or even just to show you how to move. It is also how to learn how to learn. If he tells you that memorizing as you are doing right now is not the right way, then he should also be telling you what IS the right way. If it is hard for you, then he should be guiding you step by step. This is also not as straightforward as one thinks - i.e. people don't just come up with it on their own. When you do learn how to approach things, they become ridiculously easy. And that is the job of the teacher. It gets neglected all too often.

My teacher did try her best but unfortunately it wasn't giving results. She thought I was over-analyzing piano, while I was actually looking and reading at the same time and she started scolding me, thinking that would yeild some results. I don't mean to complain though, Although she didn't say that to me, I assume she did it for my own good. I actually feel there should be a basic guide for piano which every student must have, which would be something like eperdos posted:

Originally Posted by eperdos
I have students with similar problems. In 1-2 years, they ussualy can`t keep up with the pace of learning.

With time, I accumulated lots of experience with this kind of problem but I can tell, it`s stil very dificult to get these kids into the line.

Most important thing is not to skip the steps. take your time and practice on the level were you are comfortable. from time to time, try to see if making on step further is an acomplishable taks.

There are involved 2 things as I understand: notes reading and playing 2 hands simultaniously. Try not to overlap each other. Do notes reading with separate hands, then practice that pasage with both hands simultaniously. Keeping a very, very slow tempo can help in both situations.

Make notes reading without keyboard. Try to memorize the passage with an imaginary keyboard in mind, then play it from the memory on the keyboard.

For playing simultaniously with both hands try this: play pieces or exercises where one hand plays aa very very simple line and the other a normaly dificult one.

Above all patience is essentiall. I wish you succes!

The above post is simply golden. I must mention that I was actually playing small parts with both the hands and merging them later. After about 2 months, I discovered (and was frustrated to know) that it made sense if I played an entire row with one hand and then use the second hand and merge them. If you know what I meant. I am sorry as I don't remember the right piano names for the above terms.

Last edited by SpaceDementia; 07/19/12 01:11 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There's nothing wrong with memorizing (some people struggle to try to memorize music). But, if you want to learn to read then you have to stop relying on memorization. You can do this by making sure you read something new everyday this prevents you from "accidentally" playing from memory.

I memorized stuff all the time before I could read well.
Now my reading has improved so I don't really memorize as much because I don't really have to....because I can read better. Now, when I want to memorize something I have to make a point to do it whereas before it was more automatic

Re: the multitasking: the more you learn, the more some things will then become automatic. So, it will be less like multitasking. I have similar issues as you mention and I can get overwhelmed (which is why I prefer to memorize). So, when I start to feel that way I take a break. Also, if you are feeling overwhelmed you can sort of do things individually. Look at the music and work out the timing first. Then practice the left hand parts, when you feel comfortable that then work on the right hand.

Btw.. most musicians are not reading absolutely everything on the page once they learn the song. They are only using it as a guide.

All the best and keep us update on your progress

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I believe that it is possible to enjoy an activity at which one does not excel.

I am perhaps the slowest piano student ever, but I still really like it! So far, my teacher puts up with me, but if it comes to a point where I am simply to 'special ed.' for him, I'm sure there will be someone else who would be a suitable instructor.

If you enjoy it, just keep at it.

Learner
B
B
I've been taking lessons for 4 years and I am just now starting to trust my reading skills over simply memorizing while Im playing. I'd say that its a long process, Im not confident in my reading skills and I HATE making mistakes. My teacher has had to tell me quite a few times to "Chill out" because Im so hard on myself when I make mistakes. She just wants me to improve my reading, she knows that I know how to play...just gotta improve all areas.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission