Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1928651 - 07/18/12 05:03 PM Magrath - Audition Repertoire for the Advancing Pianist
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Have any of you used this series with students? I've been searching for reviews and have found none. I bought the complete set yesterday and this morning, had a chance to play through Book 1 (there are 4 books at the moment).

More to the point, have any of you used this with students for Auditions, Guild or otherwise? If so, what are your thoughts?

Book 1, which has two complete programs (a total of 9 pieces), seems to be at the upper end of Prep A level, with the exception of the Bach d minor invention, which is really an Intermediate F level piece. The second set could probably be used as a Prep B level set along with a phase or two, if a student were doing a state level audition.

Over the years, I've used a lot of her materials, and from what I've encountered so far, this is reasonably well edited.

Thoughts on the series?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1928765 - 07/18/12 09:43 PM Re: Magrath - Audition Repertoire for the Advancing Pianist [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have not seen it, but just glancing over the titles, it seems like well chosen material for a reasonable price.

I recently got book 7 and 8 of the Festival Collection (FJH) and I really like using those with my advancing students.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1929068 - 07/19/12 01:17 PM Re: Magrath - Audition Repertoire for the Advancing Pianist [Re: John v.d.Brook]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I went to a presentation in which Jane Magrath herself introduced the series. She has a strong presence.

I must say I wasn't exactly jumping up and down about this series. The great majority of the pieces are already in the common teaching repertoire, and some of her "20th century" selections aren't really "20th century." Jane's editing, of course, is impeccable, as I've always enjoyed teaching with her other books.

#1929109 - 07/19/12 02:11 PM Re: Magrath - Audition Repertoire for the Advancing Pianist [Re: AZNpiano]
Para Otras Offline

Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
I went to a presentation in which Jane Magrath herself introduced the series. She has a strong presence.

I must say I wasn't exactly jumping up and down about this series. The great majority of the pieces are already in the common teaching repertoire, and some of her "20th century" selections aren't really "20th century." Jane's editing, of course, is impeccable, as I've always enjoyed teaching with her other books.

+1

I love her Masterwork Classics series. It is nicely graded and, though a bit slow, covers so much repertoire and technique that it can easily be the staple of teaching for many students.

As for auditions, festivals, and more, I too either find the selections from common lists or use the Festival Collection. I enjoy many of the selections Marlais puts into these books, even though I do not care for her other books. At this more advanced point though, most of my students are buying Urtext and other sources as we pick and choose pieces.

Audition Repertoire just doesn't offer enough pieces for me to justice buying 4 books for the series. It is, as you mentioned however, very well edited (including how the pieces are well-laid in the text).

#1929175 - 07/19/12 04:35 PM Re: Magrath - Audition Repertoire for the Advancing Pianist [Re: Para Otras]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Para Otras
As for auditions, festivals, and more, I too either find the selections from common lists. . .

My question referred specifically to Piano Guild Auditions, where there are no common lists or annual specific composition lists. Of course, for many students, use of urtext, complete composer volumes, etc., is perfectly fine, but for others, having a volume which is carefully leveled, offers 8 or 9 pieces over the four major eras of composition, is a nice addition.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your thoughts on the series. I've too been using her materials for 3 decades now, and am well aware of and appreciate her high standards.

I'm still hoping another Guild teacher out there may have used one or more of the volumes with students and has some feedback. Thanks.

#1929185 - 07/19/12 04:52 PM Re: Magrath - Audition Repertoire for the Advancing Pianist [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Para Otras Offline

Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook
Originally Posted By: Para Otras
As for auditions, festivals, and more, I too either find the selections from common lists. . .

My question referred specifically to Piano Guild Auditions, where there are no common lists or annual specific composition lists. Of course, for many students, use of urtext, complete composer volumes, etc., is perfectly fine, but for others, having a volume which is carefully leveled, offers 8 or 9 pieces over the four major eras of composition, is a nice addition.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your thoughts on the series. I've too been using her materials for 3 decades now, and am well aware of and appreciate her high standards.

I'm still hoping another Guild teacher out there may have used one or more of the volumes with students and has some feedback. Thanks.
Oh, I apologize. I misunderstood you on that part. I do not do Guild.

However, I do have a friend who does it. She also uses the Festival Collection or Keith Snell Piano Repertoire series for this, depending on how many pieces she feels the student needs. I can ask her if she's used this one and what she thinks of it or other suggestions.

#1929220 - 07/19/12 06:17 PM Re: Magrath - Audition Repertoire for the Advancing Pianist [Re: Para Otras]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

P.O. I would appreciate that. Thank you.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (Adam Coleman, accordeur, acortot, 59 invisible), 1586 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153611 Topics
2251362 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Video clip for classical music?
by Nikolas
04/20/14 05:43 PM
Home speakers for RD700NX: need help!
by PoleStar
04/20/14 05:32 PM
stuff fell through the Kawai K8 fallboard, into the piano
by akita
04/20/14 03:12 PM
How did YOU get started on software pianos?
by doremi
04/20/14 03:02 PM
Advice needed: what to do with piano during a major remodel
by akita
04/20/14 02:31 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission