Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1930382 - 07/21/12 06:23 PM Roland HP505 VS Yamaha CLP 430
Vini Silveira Offline

Hey, guys,

I was researching some keyboards, and I was pretty satisfied with the tones from Roland HP505 and Yamaha CLP430, the price difference is about $1000 here in Brazil (I apologize for my English grammar, learned by myself).

The Roland one presents key technology called PHAIII, which seemed better for me when compared to GH3, from the Yamaha Series, which was created in 2003, and I dont know if it has changed much since then.
About these two, I have some questions :

1 - Which key technology is better: PHAIII or GH3?
2 - I've heard the Roland keys made a lot of noise, but I couldnt notice it since a drummer was playing next to me haha. Is it true when compared to the GH3?
3 - As far as I know, yamaha keys last a loooong time, they're pretty good (I have had a Yamaha P85 for 2 years and a half now, the keys are still intact). What about the Roland ones?

Thanks guys, I hope I've been clear enough. Since I've learned English by myself, I really suck sometimes.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1930384 - 07/21/12 06:39 PM Re: Roland HP505 VS Yamaha CLP 430 [Re: Vini Silveira]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Hello Vini. In answer to

1. They are both very well designed hammer weighted keyboards. Some people prefer Kawai's RM keyboard to those two. Personally, I prefer the feel of Roland's PHAIII. I tis a little lighter and yet reasonably similar to the feeling of a grand piano.

2. The Roland PHAII and PHAIII do make a noise when they hit the bottom, yes. It doesn't bother me at all, but it is harder are noisier than Kawai and Yamaha.

3. Both Roland and Yamaha are well known for robust construction. On this forum, you very rarely hear of problems with Roland digital pianos. But the 'ivory' surfaces to the keys ('Ivory Feel') has caused problems with a few users, but only, I think, a small minority.

Your English writing is really very good. I hope you get what you want in your search for a piano. I am certainly happy with the Roland I have, which is a model down from the one you're looking at, and from the previous series.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#1930388 - 07/21/12 06:43 PM Re: Roland HP505 VS Yamaha CLP 430 [Re: Vini Silveira]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

...by the way, both GH3 and PHAIII use three sensors, and a fairly similar mechanical technology, so they are both using the latest technology in that sense (these thing develop more slowly than computer technology).

So the choice of which is better, is which feels better to you.

#1930398 - 07/21/12 07:24 PM Re: Roland HP505 VS Yamaha CLP 430 [Re: Vini Silveira]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I hear more people raving about PHAIII than GH3 here, but when I personally play them I personally have a hard time liking PHAIII. It's one of those things you kind of have to try before you know. Neither is unambiguously better or more advanced.

Action technology hasn't changed much since 2003. The sounds have changed, but not by as much as you might expect. I wouldn't necessarily think PHAIII is better because it is newer. One reason Yamaha has stuck with their same action is that it is pretty good.

As Toddy mentioned, the problem with Rolands is the ivory feel surface. In my opinion it feels yucky, and apparently it wears off pretty easily. I don't much care for Yamaha's ivory touch either but it's less obtrusive and more durable.

#1930402 - 07/21/12 07:33 PM Re: Roland HP505 VS Yamaha CLP 430 [Re: Vini Silveira]
Vini Silveira Offline

Hey,

First of all: thanks for answering.
About this Ivory Feel problem which hit some people, what's it about?
I really thought (at least while playing) the Roland one was better, but I know that Yamaha has a very lasting and trustful key technology, while I dont know much about Roland, except for some Ivory Feel problems posted on this and other forums. A friend of mine also recommended me Kawai CN43. He's from Europe, and the price difference over there is about 150 euros , not much. I found this piano here in Brazil, and the price difference from Yamaha CLP430 and Kawai CN43 is about - converting with recent monetary data - 1000 euros, which is alot for my budget. I didnt have the chance to test it out, and tomorrow will be Sunday, so the shops will probably be close. Is it much better than the Yamaha one? I'm looking for a keyboard which I wont need to exchange for, at least, 10 years, and which has a much better key technology than Yamaha P85.

Thank you for the help so far!

#1930414 - 07/21/12 08:06 PM Re: Roland HP505 VS Yamaha CLP 430 [Re: Vini Silveira]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Some people don't have a problem with the ivory feel. Lots of people, actually. But it seems to be a soft-ish material that easily gets scratched by fingernails and experiences other wear. Personally my problem with it is that I don't think it feels or plays better than regular plastic.

I think it's fair to say that any of the pianos you have mentioned here are better in every way than your P85. However, I don't think you should be in such a rush to order that you can't stop by a shop and get a feel for the different brands. There really is no consensus about which of the three pianos you have mentioned is best, but we have lots of people with fairly strong competing opinions. Best to form your own opinion and then buy rather than buy and regret it with probability 2/3.

Personally a 1000 dollar or 1000 euro difference between two pianos is a LOT. I think you are likely to want to go for the Yamaha, just for the savings. The 430 is a good piano.

Edited by gvfarns (07/21/12 08:10 PM)

#1930415 - 07/21/12 08:11 PM Re: Roland HP505 VS Yamaha CLP 430 [Re: Vini Silveira]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

All three of those are pianos with good reputation and construction. For me, the Roland wins because of its more advanced piano generating system (called SuperNatural) and the feel of the keys. But key feel is very subjective - many people prefer Kawai.

I think a lot of people have Roland ivory keys and do not have a problem with it - a few clearly have had a problem, though.

As far as I'm concerned, I would have got an ivory feel (I loved the touch) but it was much more expensive. The piano I have has standard resin keys (as found on most acoustics) and so I haven't had this problem, obviously.

#1930416 - 07/21/12 08:14 PM Re: Roland HP505 VS Yamaha CLP 430 [Re: Vini Silveira]
Vini Silveira Offline

Hey,

Yeah, I felt the same, they're all MUCH better than the P85. I'm not actually in a rush, even though it feels like. It's that I live in a very far town from São Paulo, and I only go there once in a month, or something, so I don't have frequent chances to test them out.

I really didnt think the CN43 would be that expensive, but if it's still better than the CLP430 (specially the key technology), I think it's worth the money (even if I have to work harder ): ). And what's the difference between the CLP430 and CLP440?

Sorry for the many questions, I really think it's worth researching and testing before buying, and here's a great place for the first one! Thanks again so far! (:

Edited by Vini Silveira (07/21/12 08:15 PM)

#1930417 - 07/21/12 08:17 PM Re: Roland HP505 VS Yamaha CLP 430 [Re: Vini Silveira]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I totally agree with gvfarns - if the Yamaha is around 1000 dollars less than the other two, then there's no competition. That's an enormous difference for a piano of equivalent quality to the other two.

You could also try Roland HP 503, Kawai CN33 or one of the previous Roland HP series (if they have old stock). It would be a lot cheaper, but very similar quality and specification.

#1930463 - 07/21/12 10:16 PM Re: Roland HP505 VS Yamaha CLP 430 [Re: Vini Silveira]
Vini Silveira Offline

Hoping for anwers about the Kawai one, and differences between CLP 430 and 440. Thanks!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
121 registered (36251, A Guy, Aibohphobia, 36 invisible), 1590 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75353 Members
42 Forums
155810 Topics
2287875 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin Artist Series...What does that mean?
by Piano Practice
07/12/14 10:54 AM
Classical Pianists don't want a better piano?
by Jeff Petsinger
07/12/14 10:41 AM
Jarrod Radnich
by Music Heals
07/12/14 10:26 AM
Happy Birthday transcribed for Organ
by musdan
07/12/14 09:09 AM
How do you get $1,000-2,000 for an Out-of-Tune piano??!!?
by Paul678
07/12/14 09:05 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission