2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Carey, Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music
It actually doesn't really matter what piano the action is based on. The fact is that it is a HYBRID action.

HYBRID or not, it actually does matter what piano the action is based on because this sets the mechanical advantage variation over the playing surface.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by dewster
It actually doesn't really matter what piano the action is based on. The fact is that it is a HYBRID action.

HYBRID or not, it actually does matter what piano the action is based on because this sets the mechanical advantage variation over the playing surface.

You're missing the point. I'll try again. It's a MODIFIED action.

K
K
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
Originally Posted by Dave Horne

There is one on the market but it's too expensive - http://www.alpha-piano.com/

(I should add that the guy I spoke to at Bösendorfer in Vienna years ago is now associated with Alpha Piano. I assume this is what the Bösendorfer version might have looked like before they were bought out by Yamaha.)

Dave, are the Alpha Pianos now being sold? If so, what do they cost?

Wait, I see from the FAQs that they're "taking reservations" at 29,000 Euros. At that price, it would be unreasonable to expect speakers, I suppose. Hmmm...

The Alpha Piano site indicates they are using the VSL Bosendorfer. I wonder if that's the off the shelf Bosie that lacks partial pedaling. Regardless, at the price indicated above, the Alpha Piano makes the N1 qua MIDI controller look like a super bargain.

Steinway B
Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Roland RD-700NX
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

And I've missed the point again. smile

It of course isn't a standard piano action just tossed into a case, but beyond that I'm at a loss as to what you're getting at.

Actually, I wonder why someone doesn't do just that: toss an unmodified action into a case and have the hammers hit piezo elements or something. Damper return velocity might be a problem to measure, but that's fairly secondary IMO. Any competent tech could adjust / regulate it.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
@Dewster: I think that Alpha piano is pretty close to that, isnt it? As I've said before though, I wonder whether the AvantGrand has an advantage wrt latency, because I think the AG determines velocity a bit before the "hammers" strike the stopper.

Greg.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Question?

Say Yamaha sold another line of AG piano along side current models. Say the new line is called AG boutique. It's attributes were it used sample and action from CFX. Say it would have a street price of $20,000. Who's buying this here?

Ok carry one...

Last edited by 36251; 07/22/12 07:58 AM.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by 36251
Question?

Say Yamaha sold another line of AG piano along side current models. Say the new line is called AG boutique. It's attributes were it used sample and action from CFX. Say it would have a street price of $20,000. Who's buying this here?

Answer? Not me!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sullivang
@Dewster: I think that Alpha piano is pretty close to that, isnt it? As I've said before though, I wonder whether the AvantGrand has an advantage wrt latency, because I think the AG determines velocity a bit before the "hammers" strike the stopper.

Have Hall Effect sensors under each key to detect key position and return velocity (ala the VAX77). Use these to alert the processor to preload the attack sample of the keys that are starting to be depressed, then play the note with the amplitude from the piezo.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 36251

Knowing Yamaha, even if they went to $2 million it would still be looped and wouldn't play off the jack. And they would never tell you anything technical about it, so even if you bought one and were kind of happy with it, you'd end up back here at PW speculating wildly with the rest of us.

E
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
E
Knowing Yamaha, even if they went to $2 million it would still be looped and wouldn't play off the jack. And they would never tell you anything technical about it, so even if you bought one and were kind of happy with it, you'd end up back here at PW speculating wildly with the rest of us.

So cynical!

Dewster, how old were you when you figured out Father Christmas didn't exist? I can picture you now - three years old sitting bolt upright in bed as your parents sneak into your room at midnight to dump a pillow case full of presents at the foot of the bed...

Infant Dewster: "I knew it! You complete frauds! I laid it on the line to you two time and time again, show me EVIDENCE of Santa! All that nonsense about behaving myself all year for Santa Claus. And don't try leaving money under my pillow when my teeth start falling out, I've already worked that one out!"

Why can't you just let Yamaha enrich our lives with their special kind of fairy dust? It would spoil it if we knew how they did it....

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EssBrace

So cynical!

Dewster, how old were you when you figured out Father Christmas didn't exist? I can picture you now - three years old sitting bolt upright in bed....

It's early, but this is the post of the day so far.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
K
K
Why can't you just let Yamaha enrich our lives with their special kind of fairy dust? It would spoil it if we knew how they did it....

How true. I'm still coming to grips with those popsicle stick sidewalls they put on the those plastic NW keys.

Edit: For those new to PW, here's what I'm talking about
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1830168.html

Last edited by kippesc; 07/22/12 10:07 AM.

Steinway B
Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Roland RD-700NX
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

The only thing being challenged here is the key-length and whether it can be legitimately called a "concert" action like it is in the promotional video. It clearly isn't a concert action. It's a decent action - it's similar to the action in a small grand. As Dewster correctly points out, the touch across the entire key area is not as good as a concert action - that's why they shouldn't be calling it a concert action. They should absolutely say it's a good acoustic action though. No problem with that.

Same deal with the unknown internal MIDI resolution - just stick to the facts. There's nothing to be gained by using apocryphal claims about high-res MIDI or concert actions. I'm a big fan of Yamaha as a company overall - but I don't like these fuzzy facts that make their way into their promotions. A product should publish its specifications and let the product do the rest of the talking.

For the record, I have nothing against the AG itself.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S

Have Hall Effect sensors under each key to detect key position and return velocity (ala the VAX77). Use these to alert the processor to preload the attack sample of the keys that are starting to be depressed, then play the note with the amplitude from the piezo.

Even in a standard disk streaming software sampler, all attacks are pre-loaded in memory. If you mean to perform some other kind of initialisation, I'm struggling to think what could be done before the velocity is known. We don't know what sample layer to use, and we don't know how to configure any layer blending processing, and we don't know how to initialise an envelope generator, if one is required. Mind you, the latency penalty, if there is one, might be so tiny as to be inconsequential. I assume the audio output buffering would be highly optimised.

Greg.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

[Guys in the Yamaha marketing department who keep an eagle eye on PW AG posts]

SCORE!!!

[whereupon much jumping up and enthusiastic high fiving of each other ensues]

(Just kidding Steve, as you probably are wink )

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
So ...

dewster: Knowing Yamaha, even if they went to $2 million it would still be looped and wouldn't play off the jack. And they would never tell you anything technical about it, so even if you bought one and were kind of happy with it, you'd end up back here at PW speculating wildly with the rest of us.
(Translation: They're full of crap, the lousy bastards!)

Essbrace: Why can't you just let Yamaha enrich our lives with their special kind of fairy dust? It would spoil it if we knew how they did it...
(Translation: Let's enjoy the mud bath.)

I have a different view.
My take: Ignore sales pitches, promotional material, and all other hype.

Sample promotional material:
SPECIALIZED GRAND PIANO ACTION AND PIANO KEYBOARD
The nuanced touch and response of the grand piano are an essential standard yardstick for piano quality. It offers the player a specially-developed grand piano action that features the same configuration as the action of a real grand. The hammers strike the "strings" from underneath, allowing minute adjustments to the weight distribution of the hammers, and to the movement of the hammers themselves, for a smoother feel when playing. In addition to a hammer sensor, this instrument employs a non-contact key sensor that has no effect on the movement of the keys, affording excellent recognition of the player's pressure on the keyboard, timing, and the other delicate nuances that affect musical expression. This combination provides an impressive sensitivity for the entire range from pianissimo through to fortissimo, and the ability to translate even the swiftest trills of the pianist with transparency. The wood construction of the keyboard mirrors that of the grand piano, and features New Ivory II on the white keys. This is a unique material developed by Yamaha, with a texture superbly close to that of natural ivory, allowing you to play swift passages with ease while also offering a sure response for slower pieces.

SPATIAL ACOUSTIC SAMPLING
Together with a variety of piano sounds, this instrument features samples of the actual vibrations from within the soundboard of the instrument. To permit the sound to travel well to the player's position, as it does with a grand piano, we sampled the sound from four locations in the left, right, center, and rear of a grand piano. Sampling from deeper inside the instrument, we were able reproduce the attraction of the original sound almost perfectly. It was the experience of our engineers, and a reiterative cycle of trial and error conducted with piano tuners that made this success possible. And of course, the samples in this instrument are all taken from a specially-selected example of Yamaha's CFIIIS full concert grand piano.

SPATIAL ACOUSTIC SPEAKER SYSTEM
Opening the lid of the instrument reveals 4 speakers in an impressive and attractive layout. This instrument utilizes a four-channel multi-speaker system, designed in a three-way configuration with the bass woofer pointed down and the treble cones facing up, to allow more natural reverberation in the soundboard. Each of the speakers in this layout is equipped with its own dedicated amplifier, a luxury that reduces the interference in each pitch range and offers more natural expression to the delicate nuances in each sound. Moreover, by using speaker positioning that mimics the positions in the grand piano from which the original samples were taken, it offers a more natural sound to the pianist.

SOUNDBOARD RESONATOR
In addition to the four-channel multi-speakers, the N3 also features a flat-panel "Soundboard Resonator" where the music rest would be when laid flat, allowing a more subtle reproduction of the buildup of sound felt by pianists when playing a grand piano. An oscillator called a "transducer" transmits vibration to the flat-panel soundboard, giving a realistic sound response that is especially evident in the higher range.

TACTILE RESPONSE SYSTEM
The sound of an acoustic piano resonates throughout its entire body. The bass range in particular is an essential part of the reverberation that is continually transmitted to a player's body. This is replicated by our newly-developed Tactile Response System (TRS) that focuses on reproducing reverberation. This system features two transducers in the soundboard, the area underneath the keyboard, resonating natural reverberation throughout the entire instrument. The player's hands on the keyboard transmit the natural sound felt from the feet as they depress the pedals; the epitome of real piano playing. This system can be turned on and off, and the vibration set to one of three levels.

SPECIALIZED GRAND PIANO PEDAL
Light to the touch at first, subtle firmness partway through its travel, and lightening again as the player pushes further; the pedals of the grand piano have subtly different stages than can be felt when the pedal is depressed. Skilled players take advantage of these pedal movements by using extremely delicate pedaling that allows them to achieve finely nuanced expression in their play. In developing this instrument, we set out to reproduce the sensations of a grand piano's pedals as faithfully as possible. The resulting pedal allows for music as you believe it should sound, equally responsive for more impressionistic pieces that require a lot of half-pedaling.

Translation: Yamaha has an AG N3 model for sale. No other reliable information is available.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Yes. Reading those promotional leaflets is like having a long warm bath with Cussons Imperial Leather or Pears Coal Tar soap.

All very nice if you're in the mood but a complete waste of time.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
E
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
E
(Just kidding Steve, as you probably are wink )

Ha ha, yes I was kidding alright! They made a conscious decision at some point didn't they? Not just Yamaha. I think they pretty much all decided to cease giving out FACTS. It's not that there isn't a grain of truth in what they say in their marketing stuff, there probably usually is. But it is dressed up in the language of sales, not technical language. Not many years ago all of the manufacturers used to declare the sample ROM size but that rarely happens now.

I wonder if this nonsense will infiltrate other technical products (no doubt it's already happening to some degree).

I imagine a conversation between a professional in procurement for a hospital talking to the sales rep of the maker of a diagnostic machine...

Buyer: "So, er, what resolution will we get with this scanner?"
Seller: "Oh lots. It's got really good resolution. The best we've ever done."
Buyer: "Well, what is it then?"
Seller: "Eh? well, it's better than the last model. A very significant improvement I can assure you. You'll see those tumours in magnificent technicolour. In 3D too. Probably."
Buyer: "So, what is the resolution then?"
Seller: "It's a game changer. You can even dim the display for use at night, like on a Sat-Nav. And it pipes music through loads of speakers. It's the last scanner you'll ever have to buy. Until the next one comes out."
Buyer: "How many speakers?"
Seller: "Loads. More than the last one."
Buyer: "Can't you just tell me about the resolution? We need to know so we can compare your scanner to a couple of others."
Seller: "Did I mention that we've got 0% finance and we can give you cash back on your old one? And we've got a range of new finishes. The only "free" colour is the colour of a baby's first sh*t. But polished ebony is only a few grand more. So like I said, it's a game changer."

K
K

So cynical!

Dewster, how old were you when you figured out Father Christmas didn't exist? I can picture you now - three years old sitting bolt upright in bed as your parents sneak into your room at midnight to dump a pillow case full of presents at the foot of the bed...

Infant Dewster: "I knew it! You complete frauds! I laid it on the line to you two time and time again, show me EVIDENCE of Santa! All that nonsense about behaving myself all year for Santa Claus. And don't try leaving money under my pillow when my teeth start falling out, I've already worked that one out!"

ROFLMAO!!!!!!! laugh

K.

Kevin L. Spindler
Early Keyboard Instruments
Stonington, CT
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129
K
K
I've been staring at this picture all morning (simply because I haven't closed my browser) while monitoring this thread. I'm going to re-post this picture because, for me, it marks the nadir of DP marketing dissembling (wait, maybe I mean "zenith").

[Linked Image]

(That's the inside of a CP1, which has nothing to do with an AG, but it does relate to the topic of Yamaha marketing. Just to be clear.)

Okay. I've gotten it out of my system. Now back to my project to precisely tweak Pianoteq to sound like my AP. ;-)

Last edited by kippesc; 07/22/12 01:59 PM.

Steinway B
Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Roland RD-700NX
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission