Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1930258 - 07/21/12 12:33 PM Advisable to take up such a student?
Pianolism Offline

Just recently, I have received an email from a guy(35 years old) older than me looking for a piano teacher. I'm a female in my earlier 20s:

"Hi i'm looking for a piano teacher (preferably female & <40 years old) for abrsm grade 1-3 who is willing to teach at home.

"i am a 35 year old male, failed grade 1 when i was a kid and self taught until now.
i attended about 1-2 year of pop piano lessons.
now i would like to get certified at abrsm grade 8 on the fastest rate (skipping grades that i can skip).
let me know if this is a fit."

Advisable to take up such a student? What to look out for? Why do you think he has a preference for a female teacher <40?

Edited by Pianolism (07/21/12 12:33 PM)

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1930260 - 07/21/12 12:36 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Pianolism]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
i don't know... sounds just a bit creepy at his place.

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1930264 - 07/21/12 12:40 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Pianolism]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Tell him you are a 72 year old man, and you will hear no more from him.

#1930266 - 07/21/12 12:41 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: apple*]
Pianolism Offline

Precisely he sounds creepy. Just a little worried for myself. But this would be my first adult student and I'm really interested to teach one. *Flip a coin* *Should I or should I not*

#1930271 - 07/21/12 12:55 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Pianolism]
emilypianist89 Offline

I certainly would not go to his house after an email like this! I, like you, am also in my early 20's. You could tell him that you would prefer to teach out of your own home. Or you could tell him that you would like to have an interview first (pretty standard now for new teacher/student) at your own home before lessons would begin at his home. This could on the pre tense of discussing goals, access level, etc. But, it would give a chance to meet him in without going to his house. It may be a totally legitimate email, but it is better to be safe!

#1930275 - 07/21/12 01:04 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Pianolism]
MsAdrienne Offline

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
That sounds like a very odd inquiry. I can't think of any legitimate reason for the "female under 40" preference. Bizarre and/or creepy.

#1930282 - 07/21/12 01:31 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Pianolism]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
His wishes themselves suggest that he should have very experienced teacher who is absolutely solid in all aspects of music, playing (technique), as well as with years of experience teaching including older students. Whether the teacher got there via a BMus or otherwise is less important. That teacher should be able to take the lead and remain the leader - an older teacher would be more likely than a younger one to fit the bill. That is creepy-factor aside. Why is he mentioning his age, that he is male, and wants a young female teacher?

Quote:
... for abrsm grade 1-3 .... i would like to get certified at abrsm grade 8 on the fastest rate (skipping grades that i can skip).

He wants to get at grade 8 fast, so he's asking you for 1 - 3?

If he is self-taught for all of these years, then he will have all kinds of problems at the foundation level. It is much harder to get rid of and replace poor basic habits. The teacher has to know what to look for, what to advise, and stay on top of it. The student has to cooperate and work extremely hard consistently and also be willing to follow instructions intelligently. When this person also wants to go as fast as possible and skip grades, then he doesn't know what it's about, and doesn't seem likely to do or follow what is needed. That is why I gave the portrait of the type of teacher he needs. This is not the kind of adult student you want to start with if you are a young teacher with no experience with older students.

Quote:
Why do you think he has a preference for a female teacher <40?

Because he is a 35 year old male?

#1930299 - 07/21/12 02:04 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Pianolism]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Ew.

Creepy student.
No thank you.

#1930307 - 07/21/12 02:18 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Pianolism]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Kentucky
Pianolism,
His ad sounds like someone seeking a date...35 year old male seeking a female teacher under age 40. So you might respond by asking for a photo and ask what he does for a living. laugh

"She played upon her music box
a fancy air by chance,
And straightaway all her polka dots
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1930311 - 07/21/12 02:25 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Pianolism]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Don't go.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1930349 - 07/21/12 04:27 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ann in Kentucky
Pianolism,
His ad sounds like someone seeking a date...35 year old male seeking a female teacher under age 40. So you might respond by asking for a photo and ask what he does for a living. laugh

And for a date, meet somewhere safe and public!

#1930353 - 07/21/12 04:36 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Pianolism]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
There will be other adult students. Think of your safety first. That's the most important thing here. I learned years ago in a safety course my employer at the time put on is that to trust your FIRST and IMMEDIATE gut reaction. Because that is usually correct. And that is what will keep you safe.

He may just have an odd writing style and be perfectly fine but there just seems to be too much unnecessary information in his note.

#1930438 - 07/21/12 09:07 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Pianolism]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Kentucky
I feel peeved over the age limit this guy set (among other things). So if I received the message I would say that I'm sorry to disappoint you but I only accept male students up to the age of 34...letting him miss out by being 1 year too old.

But really, how did he get your e-address?

"She played upon her music box
a fancy air by chance,
And straightaway all her polka dots
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1930450 - 07/21/12 09:35 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Pianolism]
manyhands Offline

Loc: Md
NEVER ignore your instinctive response that a situation may be dangerous.

Big Mama Yama U1

#1930466 - 07/21/12 10:23 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Pianolism]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I agree, don't ignore the creepiness. Even if he is only clueless, what does this say about his priorities? There will be other adult students, better than this one.

#1930496 - 07/22/12 12:13 AM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Pianolism]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
He may be harmless, but if so he's certainly clueless. I wouldn't have a thing to do with him.

#1930499 - 07/22/12 12:30 AM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Pianolism]
asiantraveller101 Offline

Loc: ME
Please do NOT get yourself in trouble. His email is raising many "red flags"!

#1930501 - 07/22/12 12:44 AM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Pianolism]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Maybe he's a potentially fine student who thinks of the bygone stereotype of the spinster piano teacher, and wants to avoid that.

You could insist that an interview/audtion take place in your studio, even if you end up teaching him at his place. I'd be surprised if he's a creep.

#1930503 - 07/22/12 01:08 AM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Peter K. Mose]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
Maybe he's a potentially fine student who thinks of the bygone stereotype of the spinster piano teacher, and wants to avoid that... I'd be surprised if he's a creep.
Well it's possible I suppose, but I'd be surprised if any sensible bloke could pen that application and not expect a female teacher to find it, well, odd.

And if he simply wants to avoid a spinster, why doesn't he specify a male teacher?

#1930587 - 07/22/12 08:53 AM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: emilypianist89]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: emilypianist89
I certainly would not go to his house after an email like this! I, like you, am also in my early 20's. You could tell him that you would prefer to teach out of your own home.

Having him come to your home is no better than you going to his home. In fact, it could be worse, because he then would know where you live.

#1930624 - 07/22/12 10:59 AM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Pianolism]
bluemarine Offline

Loc: Croatia
Originally Posted By: Pianolism
"Hi i'm looking for a piano teacher (preferably female & <40 years old) for abrsm grade 1-3 who is willing to teach at home.

"i am a 35 year old male, failed grade 1 when i was a kid and self taught until now.

my 2 cents:

He said "preferably female" not "female only". He has previous experiences with taking lessons and most probably he preferes female teachers.

"40 years old": Younger teachers usually have less students, they are more flexible and would less probably hesitate to take an adult beginner. Further he took pop piano lessons in the past, and younger teacher might be more familiar with it, so he would not be an absolute beginner.

"i am a 35 year old male, failed grade 1 when i was a kid" : It is absolutely OK that an adult beginner states his/her age and previous experience when introducing him/herself.

I agree that the first meeting should not be made either at his nor at your place, but somewhere in public. I am not living in The States, and do not know what danger a normal person could be exposed in everyday life there. That's why I am a little bit less paranoic then other members of this thread.

The most comments here are like he could be a maniac with kinda of piano-teacher-fetish, but he could also be a very nice gay guy who prefers female company. Or most probably just a decent young man.

Make an appointment and meet him in public. Take your boyfriend with you, so he knows from the beginning that you are taken.

Regarding giving lessons at student's place, my oppinion is that there is no reason unless the student is a child or a handicapped adult.

#1930652 - 07/22/12 11:47 AM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Pianolism]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Students, or their parents, often ask to have lessons in the home, and I don't blame them. We live in a service-oriented world. So to me that doesn't set off alarm bells.

Give him a call and do a preliminary phone interview. If in 5-10 minutes of discussion you get bad vibes, just tell him that regrettably your studio is full, and wish him good luck.

#1930660 - 07/22/12 12:08 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: bluemarine]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Originally Posted By: bluemarine

Take your boyfriend with you, so he knows from the beginning that you are taken.

A woman in a relationship is not 'taken'. Neither is she 'up for grabs' if not in a relationship. A woman is not an object to be possessed by one man or another. The OP's relationship status should not be an issue for a potential student.

I would personally feel very uncomfortable with any student who selected me on grounds of my gender. Or, for that matter, my skin colour, sexual orientation, nationality, or accent. (Of course, they may select me for these reasons without telling me, but they would be wise to keep it quiet and irrelevant).

I hope they would select me on my ability to teach piano.

Anyone so up-front and open about trying to select a teacher on grounds of age and gender - nah, that's just creepy. Even aside from the acute physical risk at the first meeting, there is a longer-term risk that what he's after has nothing to do with piano.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1930676 - 07/22/12 12:24 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Pianolism]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I'm sorry but being female and under 40 do not seem to me like legitimate criteria for choosing a piano teacher, no matter who you are. (Wouldn't it be illegal for an employer to specify these things when they're irrelevant to the duties of the job?) When you add the "willing to teach at home" part, I think the bad vibes are already there.

I'm not a piano teacher, but if I were, I would want my actual abilities rather than my age and gender to be the deciding factor for students. One doesn't have to be paranoid to avoid this guy.

#1930796 - 07/22/12 04:16 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: jdw]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

If you are interested in him as a student for any reason ( $$ or adult student curiosity) I endorse the idea of taking a chaperone/bodyguard (the beefier the better) with you.

This is Guido, my brother... he drives me to all my home visits...

#1930819 - 07/22/12 04:57 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: malkin]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
I have a confession to make. Being over 40 by a couple of years, I find that upon occasion, albeit very rare occasions, I can be cantankerous, ornery, dower, curmudgeonly, inflexible, and even, very, very rarely, unpleasant. Some students might find this a little off-putting and would rather have a younger, more generationally attuned teacher. I can understand this and wouldn't be insulted if someone were using this criteria, at least in part, for selecting a teacher. And, BTW, I've noticed that I share these attributes with a large number of my female colleagues who also fall into this age bracket.

#1930861 - 07/22/12 06:28 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Pianolism]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
It's kind of tongue in cheek to say that the gentlemen suggesting that this is ok have never been young women. It is not wise to go alone into the house of an unknown man on a weekly basis, especially when he stipulates gender and age. The problem is not the 90% chance that it's safe, but the 1% and single time that it might not be. Why risk it?

#1930867 - 07/22/12 06:43 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Pianolism]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: Pianolism

now i would like to get certified at abrsm grade 8 on the fastest rate (skipping grades that i can skip).
let me know if this is a fit."

Whose home? Around here, most of us teach at home.

#1930868 - 07/22/12 06:46 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: Pianolism]
MsAdrienne Offline

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Maybe Pianolism could write back and ask him why he has these criteria. "I'm curious... why do you specify female and under 40?" Put the ball back in his court.

It's okay to want to avoid working with a teacher who may be cantankerous or curmudgeonly, but wouldn't it make more sense to interview a few and then decide, instead of stereotyping (if that's even the case here)?

Still seems odd at best.
http://www.facebook.com/pianolex

#1930925 - 07/22/12 09:18 PM Re: Advisable to take up such a student? [Re: MsAdrienne]
kck Offline

Originally Posted By: MsAdrienne
Maybe Pianolism could write back and ask him why he has these criteria. "I'm curious... why do you specify female and under 40?" Put the ball back in his court.

It's okay to want to avoid working with a teacher who may be cantankerous or curmudgeonly, but wouldn't it make more sense to interview a few and then decide, instead of stereotyping (if that's even the case here)?

Still seems odd at best.

I agree. If you went to meet some teachers, I think you might get a feel whether or not there might be a fit. That seems really creepy to me. I wouldn't respond.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
99 registered (Atrys, 3rd Ear, antony, ado, AndreiN, 26 invisible), 1194 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153538 Topics
2250073 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
Today at 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission