Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#1913740 - 06/14/12 11:19 PM Re: Ok, so I've been thinking about Max's cardboard fix [Re: molehill]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: KZ
Originally Posted By: molehill

Like a fool let him return in Oct, he broke F1, left it missing until Jan when he replaced it with new string, larger pin, hammered it down to less an 1/8“ from harp surface, and also the other 8 below it, with a regular nail hammer and without removing action to support pin block. Caught him too late as he was finishing. Said he could have used CA as I suggested and have as Quick Grip that I use on dollhouse furniture repair, but he replied, “I don’t like it”. Still not able to bring myself to pull action to check if pin block is splintered.

Dear molehill, I am very sorry for you that this careless tuner you astray, and their unqualified actions spoiled your piano. However, let us pray that all is not so bad with your piano. The new tuner- technicians would have a collective decision to help you, I hope so. The fact that he scored the pin and got a negative result - just the thing for which I have to write here. Most importantly, the pinblock was not damaged. My opinion is that when we change the pin, whether a larger diameter, pouring CA, set up a cardboard shim it all would always - Arts. No matter how long the procedure, how much money spent. The main thing that don't hurt our grand pianos!

Without shim!

Sometimes the loose pin a technician to hammering into a hole pinblock. A pin provides for a little while frictions. In certain time last ,a pin would not provide the necessary friction. There is a problem, would can I do ? Without removing the string from the pin, I just twisted it off out of the pinblock the (2-3 turns) a little bit . Then I'm re-insert the string into the hole of pin and install it (screwed) to the " factory native location". He again works. I do not put shim in this case. I think the reason for which the pin begins to work again, to is that the wood's place of pinblock "rested" and not to had excessive pressure . The structure of wood after "rest" would be again provide the necessary friction for the metal pins in own native position of pinblock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66TAgDwJf...ture=plpp_video

Edited by Maximillyan (06/15/12 03:36 AM)
Edit Reason: Without shim!

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#1913872 - 06/15/12 07:38 AM Re: Ok, so I've been thinking about Max's cardboard fix [Re: Loren D]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
So because the people cannot pay you enough you see no advantage in learning to tune ?

#1913908 - 06/15/12 09:09 AM Re: Ok, so I've been thinking about Max's cardboard fix [Re: Olek]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kamin
So because the people cannot pay you enough you see no advantage in learning to tune ?

Kamin, you are not quite right. This video is not intended to show Maxim can customize the right or wrong. Your diagnosis of my tuning you have to already placed categorically and clearly. I would not want to persuade and prove that I can do it perfectly. We live with you, if you want in different worlds, with different ideas about good and bad. I would not want a long and tedious to prove that vertical "Дружба" was bring and restored after 25 years oblivion of the unheated barn. Now it still can extract at least some sounds. The child engaged in music, parents collecting money on a new tool, etc. The video is dedicated to the problem of use hammering on a pin. I argued and shall do it hereinafter on the evils of this operation for a piano. Never beat on a pin ! Need to screw it's (native pin) into pinblock! Let's all forum's visitors to they see and draw conclusions. Let's think them and about their Inviting if they would need technician with a hammer. To beat or not to beat ...

#1915044 - 06/17/12 09:29 PM Re: Ok, so I've been thinking about Max's cardboard fix [Re: Loren D]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

"Огромное спасибо за Ваш метод!!! Очень помогло".
Many thanks for your method! It helped. 23 years man from RF wrote me thanks. His name Max too

TheMaxim6666 6 дн. назад в плейлисте Tuning pins (piano) - Tightening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJvp9K936...p;feature=inbox

#1916478 - 06/20/12 11:50 PM Re: Ok, so I've been thinking about Max's cardboard fix [Re: Roy Rodgers]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Roy Rodgers

I'm not saying the card board fix is the best, or even that it may last very long, but that it may be usable in certain situations. Especially in places that may not have the advantages we have for parts and glues.

Dear technicians,forgive me for my molestation. But yesterday, I carefully re-read all the posts and found the words of Roy (06/10/12) as conclusive on the use of corrugated pads in specific cases. That's what I wrote in my mail a novice tuner- technician Boris from Ufa (Russia): "I have come to the client and I'm find a few bass pins (4) which twist off counterclockwise. They absolutely lost fixation. Owner of piano said to permits me to take risks and do things I think it necessary. Because guests were invited to her birthday. Already after 5 hours, all had to sit down at the table and to toasts to the health of the hostess piano. Vertical refused to work. I was originally skeptical of the corrugated shim, when I found your article to the inernet. However, as usual, I was afraid to do hammering on naughty pins. For me with risk, I had use your technology. Imagine my surprise when me managed to do it! It works! Now, I choose only the cardboard, I was again at this address after 2 months later, one pin released few, but I admit that this was due to the fact that I did the first time. " Perhaps Roy rights, sometimes in individual cases, it may help.

#1916652 - 06/21/12 10:10 AM Re: Ok, so I've been thinking about Max's cardboard fix [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jerry Groot RPT
Why not just replace the tuning pin with a size or two larger and be done with it forever? smile

It is not always possible to to put an end.
When we beat hammer in pin of larger diameter (oversize), or after the installation of any shim and then is one negative point. After strike a hammer on the pin is its partial deformation of metal. It occurs then if wood's hole pinblock hard and not loosely. As a consequence it's possible that the professional tuning hammer will not be placed on a deformed pin. Such a pin will bad " to obey tuning hammer". Technician will agonizes with it. But it is rather an exception to the general practitioner. Seldom I'm have seen a deformed pin after a hammering

#1920539 - 06/29/12 11:19 AM Re: Ok, so I've been thinking about Max's cardboard fix [Re: Loren D]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

On "Yahoo! Answers" online resource, a young man trying to do a shim. If I understand he did it. He writes that the method will be applied it's selectively . Because he thinks it can increase the excessive pressure on the pinblock. I totally disagree him misgivings. This operation harmless for a piano
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120315071421AAalI0b

Edited by Maximillyan (06/29/12 11:20 AM)

#1922482 - 07/04/12 06:39 AM Max's blessedness [Re: Loren D]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Two days ago I received a message (Yahoo) from my adept, who lives in South Africa. He is very well says about "Max's cardboard fix"

nj
south africa

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
Hi Maxim, here I go again replying in your post. Your question on the previous one is quite vague (your way of using english language) which makes one wonder what you were trying to say. You quoted my words that I used footwrap. True and thanks to you, because I saw your video and tried it in some pins. Then you say here that the string must not be removed, then it is not an easy task to try. The strings will reach the point of breakage if you continue to turn the pin backwards for the purpose of loosening it. I did break one string so I continued with others having the strings removed after few turns, and putting it back is the most difficult part because of the acquired coiled shape of the string that you advised to be screwed back with the pin and not hammered in. But anyway with patience, I put it all in place and it really turned into super tightened pins with the cardboard wrap.
Source(s):
maxim's video

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;...01005853AA62DuJ

Edited by Maximillyan (07/04/12 09:12 AM)

#1924660 - 07/09/12 01:22 PM Re: Max's blessedness [Re: Loren D]
Alexandr Offline

Loc: USSR,Leningrad.
Hello people. I want to enter into your discussion about this method. You are live in Europe, America and etc., cannot understand the cause of this method. It is banal. This lack of material means or even the lack of materials. And even while living in Leningrad, it was hard for me to find the right pieces of black 20 pinblocks larger size are $ 13!. That we have, in the "second" capital of Russia. And imagine now, as is the case in the province. Only once in these conditions, we can talk sensibly about the usefulness of this method. With the help of carboard, I have managed to restore the badly-sounding strings. I want to thank Maxim for his gratuitous assistance.

#1924726 - 07/09/12 04:51 PM Re: Max's blessedness [Re: Loren D]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

hello, if you learn how to tune you dont need so much repairs. Also the technique provided is wrong (not taking out the coils) , and the man ininterested in learning any better.

So... no more comments necessary (he likes to be taken for a genious, as too. Many in that occupation ) bof.. as we use to say...

Edited by Kamin (07/09/12 05:21 PM)

#1924903 - 07/10/12 01:25 AM Re: Max's blessedness [Re: Alexandr]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Alexandr
With the help of carboard, I have managed to restore the badly-sounding strings. I want to thank Maxim for his gratuitous assistance.

I am very touched by your message. It turns out my counsel to help people "to treat their own piano". I hope that you will be have the new adherents of the method. Very nice that "foot wrap" works on the banks of the Neva. I'm wish you Good luck in this difficult matter. Ignore the non-constructive criticism of the method. Write about the problems and any things encountered when installing a the corrugated cardboard shim on russian. Read in detail the technology at the site http://www.donguluk.ucoz.ru/
and watch my movies.
Sincerely yours,maxim_tuner

#1924909 - 07/10/12 01:36 AM Re: Max's blessedness [Re: Olek]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Also the technique provided is wrong (not taking out the coils) , and the man ininterested in learning any better.

Kamin, maybe I misunderstood you understand, but I insist that the coil can not be removed. Let the pin partially be scratched in process by screwing, but serious problems do not arise . If you remove the coil, you'll never pull it back to the pin. Especially it hard to make in (3)octave.
Conclusion: Do not to remove it's!

#1924918 - 07/10/12 02:04 AM Re: Max's blessedness [Re: Olek]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

So... no more comments necessary (he likes to be taken for a genious, as too.

Kamin,you are wrong. What his genius? if Max does not have special education. He hardly ever learn to make correct temperament due to own age and lack of good teachers. He is an old man shabby life is only lazy people do not spit in his face! All he has is a complete lack of understanding surrounding is the issue of public censure and all its negative manifestations. What do them to drive?
It is the desire of several people around the world which make test tight pin by his method

#1924929 - 07/10/12 03:17 AM Re: Max's blessedness [Re: Loren D]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Does anyone else get the feeling they are reading a discussion done through a Google translator?!

#1924938 - 07/10/12 04:05 AM Re: Max's blessedness [Re: Loren D]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

to change a tuning pin I take out the coil by opening it with a screwdriver after 3/4 turn back) then I put it back and hope the becket will not break.

#1924939 - 07/10/12 04:10 AM Re: Max's blessedness [Re: Loren D]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

but basically, as long you have a minimal torque (the tuning pin does not twist back by itself) you can manage the pin so it stay . it is called setting the pin and Max at 40 years is too old to learn that wink (I believe I understand it all at 50 so there is possiblvy some hope for the Max of this world)

#1924947 - 07/10/12 04:52 AM Re: Max's blessedness [Re: Loren D]
accordeur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Qubec, Canada
Tu n'est pas gentil Isaac, je crois que Max fait de son mieux. En même temps, il me tape sur les nerfs.

À cause des langues, mauvaises traductions etc...nous ne comprenons pas toujours ses intentions. Tu es d'accord?

Peut-être tu pourrais mieux t'exprimer, avec concision, sur ce forum.

J'aimerais mieux te lire en français que d'essayer de déchiffrer ton anglais.

C'est souvent une diahrée de mots avec une constipation d'idée.

J'aimerais te rencontrer en personne. Si tu viens au Canada, je t'accueillerais avec plaisir.

J'ose croire que je serai en France bientôt, pour jouer de la musique. Peut-être nous pourrons jaser?

Bonne soirée.

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca

#1924952 - 07/10/12 05:33 AM Re: Max's blessedness [Re: accordeur]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Bonjour , je trouve que j ai ete assez gentil, il ne veut pas apprendre, au pretexte que ses clients ne peuvent le payer correctement. Je n approuve pas cette attitude, c est tout. Ce qui m enerve c est qu il ne veut pas apprendre et propose fierement ses methodes. Quand je pense que son pere construisait des avions, niveau technologie on en est tres loin.

Pour mon anglais il est surement assez mauvais mais on ne parle pas philosophie, j essaye de faire profiter de ce que j ai pu comprendre, ca marche un peu sur les pieds des maitres auto proclames, mais certains parviennent a comprendre tt de meme il me semble.

Avec plaisir si tu viens a Paris previens moi. Tu dois jouer ou ? Je travaille avec certains loueurs de pianos, c est possible que ce soit la ou tu vas jouer...

Ps a priori tout ca m amuse, seule la betise et le manque d humilite m ennervent !

Bien cordialement

#1924957 - 07/10/12 05:44 AM Re: Max's blessedness [Re: Maximillyan]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Maximillyan
Also the technique provided is wrong (not taking out the coils) , and the man ininterested in learning any better.

Kamin, maybe I misunderstood you understand, but I insist that the coil can not be removed. Let the pin partially be scratched in process by screwing, but serious problems do not arise . If you remove the coil, you'll never pull it back to the pin. Especially it hard to make in (3)octave.
Conclusion: Do not to remove it's!

You need round nose pliers to hold the opened coil with some tension , orient the pin in front of the becket and put it back in the hole. Same method than when changing a string and making the coils on a dummy/spare pin , as it is done to avoid heating the pin. Those things are known and documented since 20 years. You may even find now youtube videos.

Edited by Kamin (07/10/12 10:28 PM)

#1924978 - 07/10/12 08:04 AM Re: Max's blessedness [Re: ando]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ando
Does anyone else get the feeling they are reading a discussion done through a Google translator?!

ando,pardon but we have to talk like that. Indeed, I think that my writings can be scary for someone and like parody incorrect English speech. However, thanks to (Google translator) and the huge tolerances of participant our forum many people see my movies around the world and they to writes letters for me. Most of the letters addressed to me from people which have interest about details the technology process (as to set shim). Once again sorry for bad english.
Sincerely yours,maxim_tuner

#1924983 - 07/10/12 08:22 AM Re: Max's blessedness [Re: accordeur]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: accordeur
Tu n'est pas gentil Isaac, je crois que Max fait de son mieux. En même temps, il me tape sur les nerfs.

À cause des langues, mauvaises traductions etc...nous ne comprenons pas toujours ses intentions. Tu es d'accord?

accordeur,Peut-être vous avez raison, je et de se comporter avec plus de persistance dans ce forum. Toutefois, si vous n'êtes pas heureux de lire mon opus, c'est votre droit. Je crois que le joint en carton ondulé offre de friction. Dans l'avenir, ne pense pas que le droit de refuser cette méthode. Je ne peux pas trahir ses disciples. Désolé si mes paroles ont exprimé, ou mal traduit en quelque sorte pourrait vous blesser.
Nous serons tolérants les uns des autres.
Sincèrement, maxim_tuner

#1924987 - 07/10/12 08:33 AM Re: Max's blessedness [Re: Loren D]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

technology my ass!

#1924990 - 07/10/12 08:42 AM Re: Max's blessedness [Re: Olek]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Bonjour , je trouve que j ai ete assez gentil, il ne veut pas apprendre, au pretexte que ses clients ne peuvent le payer correctement. Je n approuve pas cette attitude, c est tout. Ce qui m enerve c est qu il ne veut pas apprendre et propose fierement ses methodes. Quand je pense que son pere construisait des avions, niveau technologie on en est tres loin.

Kamin,vous avez tort! J'aime vraiment je suis en train d'apprendre quelque chose de nouveau voulez associer à la configuration du piano. Je n'ai même pas pensé il ya ce qu'il ya un lien entre les réalisations de mon père (concepteur d'avion) et ma réticence à apprendre. Vous n'avez pas besoin de considérer ma méthode comme une sorte de caprice . Je suis calme comme jamais. Je ne veux pas d'atteinte à la dignité des autres maîtres, mais beaucoup d'entre eux ont tort quand ils parlent de mon invention peu. Prouver que cela ne fonctionne pas je vais manger leur chapeau ! Avec nos meilleures salutations et mes meilleurs vœux,

#1924991 - 07/10/12 08:46 AM Re: Max's blessedness [Re: Olek]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

technology my ass!

and so says the frenchman, bravo!

#1924997 - 07/10/12 09:15 AM Re: Max's blessedness [Re: Loren D]
Johnkie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: England
For goodness sake MAX .... we know you both favour, and advocate the use of cardboard to tighten loose wrestpins, but is there any need to go on and on about it? It seems that you are using this forum as a means of self-promotion rather than any intention to heed advice or educate yourself in the necessary skills of tuning.

We know exactly where you stand ... there is little point in labouring the subject, I suggest you concentrate on learning to tune.

If you really want to be taken seriously, and wish to post videos, then I suggest the subjet matter should refer to tuning improvement rather than cardboard.

Not only are you letting yourself down, but I feel that you are letting down those who were extremely generous in sending you various tools and other items to help you along the pathway of improvement.

#1925011 - 07/10/12 09:55 AM Re: Max's blessedness [Re: Johnkie]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Johnkie
but I feel that you are letting down those who were extremely generous

Johnkie, no need to interfere the fresh with a sour.(Мешать кислое с пресным). I do not advertise themselves here on the forum. That you know perfectly well and consciously put the question to humiliate my human dignity. I already told you that do not need your advice, but now I have your answer.
1 I did not started a topic but Loren D
2 I'm reading your note now and learn how I did not have the opportunity to learn throughout their entire adult life. I'm learning a lot now
3 I never have no words, none of my act does not diminish the dignity of every human being. Why do you say I humiliate somebody ("I feel that you are letting down those who were extremely generous") members of the Forum by their speeches? It is a complete lie! I am grateful to all participants for any advice. And also for the assistance tools and books even more grateful them. Are you once said on the British forum about me: "Him (maxim_tuner_bodger) does not need help . Or do you forget?
4 I would be happy not to respond to attacks on my personal address is and how you notice and I don't would wrote a theme ... But so far no one has written: "It does not work and allow me publicly the evidence base of my experiments Here ." And we would really put the bullet on this topic. But ...

#1925510 - 07/11/12 05:15 PM Re: Max's blessedness [Re: Loren D]
Alexandr Offline

Hi everbody. I can see that the debate has moved on as who knows how to speak. And it is not good friends. After all, we are gathered here not to discuss the language of communication.

#1925737 - 07/12/12 08:29 AM Ok, so I've been thinking about Max's cardboard fix [Re: Alexandr]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Alexandr
After all, we are gathered here not to discuss the language of communication.

Alexandr,you're right we are all here to either bury the corrugated cardboard shim and hammering an aspen stake on it's grave, or use it for other purposes. I hope that the language barrier is not a reason for personal animosity members of our forum. Only the truth us will judge in future

Edited by Maximillyan (07/12/12 08:32 AM)

#1925740 - 07/12/12 08:36 AM Re: Ok, so I've been thinking about Max's cardboard fix [Re: Loren D]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

i welcome any lines in this hot topic. Do not fear if it's chinese hieroglyphs

Edited by Maximillyan (07/12/12 08:36 AM)

#1925763 - 07/12/12 09:57 AM Re: Ok, so I've been thinking about Max's cardboard fix [Re: Loren D]
Alexandr Offline

I worked on the railroad assistant engineer. And that such methods are always rescued us in case of failure. Of course, I understand that here we are talking about the piano, but my friends let us dwell on the fact that in any of the methods are effective and efficient if they yield the correct result and leave no bad effects, as I wrote above. For example, you are in the math lesson and the teacher suggested to you to solve the problem. Someone decides to one, the way someone else, but the main thing that they have come to the RIGHT answer.

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Wow, check out this baby!
by Paul678
09/15/14 09:31 PM
Baby Grand new Hammer Knuckles.
by OscarL
09/15/14 08:30 PM
WEIRDEST passage in Chopin?
by Mark_C
09/15/14 08:16 PM
Cleaning my piano.
by pianosNpreschooler
09/15/14 07:24 PM
1981 SCHIMMEL GRAND
by mellie62
09/15/14 07:14 PM
Who's Online
124 registered (anotherscott, AmateurBob, BB Player, 38 invisible), 1294 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76209 Members
42 Forums
157551 Topics
2314155 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission