2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Cheeto717, 12 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1932182 07/25/12 11:39 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Hi I am new to this forum! I know nothing about buying a piano.
My 6 year old has been playing piano for over 3 months now and we wanted to buy one for her. We wanted to get her a NEW Yamaha but it costs $8k. I am worried what if she doesn't play in 5 years and I don't get that much back. After looking on craigslist for the last few weeks, I am completely discouraged. My budget is $4000.
I heard U1 has the best resale value. I started looking into U1 and U3 models. It is so difficult to buy a used made in Japan Yamaha. So far I have no luck of finding one. Is a used P22, $4500 worth buying from a retail store. My mind is set on made in Japan YAMAHA piano but I couldn't find a good one. I came across with sereval used one with a "G" next to the 7 digits serial number. When I input the serial numbers on YAMAHA.COM. NO match found. VERY Disappointed.

Please advise what to look for when buying a USED yamaha U1.

Thank you!

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I'm pretty surprised you would say that. There should be tons of U1s about. I'm assuming you're in the US? In Australia the 2nd hand market is much worse than in the US, and even I got a good used U3 for $1800. I think you should have a look at some second hand piano dealers. That way you will get a warranty and a range to select from. I'm certain you'll find a used U1 well under $4,000.

P
OP Offline
P
Yes, I am in the US. I just feel very uncomfortable spending over $3ooo on a NOT Made in Japan Yamaha w/out any warranty.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by piano125
Yes, I am in the US. I just feel very uncomfortable spending over $3ooo on a NOT Made in Japan Yamaha w/out any warranty.

But that's exactly what you would get from a decent second hand dealer. I can't see a used U1 being much more than $3000, and it should come with some sort of dealer warranty. Being in Nth America, you can even check online using the Yamaha serial number checker which will tell you whether the instrument was a grey market import or one that was originally sold in the US.

http://www.yamaha.com/ussub/pianos/SerialNumberlookup.aspx

Anyway, check out what's around in your area. Great as it is, not every problem can be solved on the internet, I'm afraid! And Craigs List is not a good barometer of the world of pianos, I promise you that!

P
OP Offline
P
My friend was referring to rent a baby grand piano. It is an alternative way.Peace of mind too if i rent it from an authorized YAMAHA dealer. But the thing is if i spend $6000 renting a piano for 5 years and I decided to purchase a NEW U1 down the road. It is a big waste. So my only option is buying the rental one or else upgrade to a GC1 in the future. A brand new U1 is $6500 plus tax. Would anyone rent a brand new baby grand?

R
R
Hi piano125, where are you located? I'm also considering U1 too. If u want a Japan made piano, u can also consider Kawai K3. It's quite a bit cheaper but still very good in quality and should have decent resale value. Also the 10 yr warranty is transferable which is a plus if u might resell in the future.

M
M
I found Rick Jones had good selection and warrantee on used pianos. Some are grey market meaning imported but in great condition. See his website. He will ship or deliver. (I am not affiliated just a satisfied customer)

many hands many smiles

Big Mama Yama U1
P
OP Offline
P
I am in Southern California. I agreed with you. Rick Jones got lot of selections. There are a few used U1 and U3 but I am uncomfortable to drive three hours up in West Hollywood to look at the pianos. It is very time-consuming.
My local retail dealer is selling P22 for $4500. It was rent to a university for 6 months. It is relatively new. I don't really want to get a "China" piano but no choice right now. New U1 is above my budget. What would you do??

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
New U1 is above my budget. What would you do??

I'd take the 3 hour drive. Any way you slice it, piano shopping is a time consuming exercise. Plus if you know this dealer has multiple U1s on his floor and within your price range, it's not a wild goose chase, it's just a logical step. Most people spend a LOT of time looking for their piano - there's no reason you should be any different. Particularly if you are bemoaning the lack of affordability of pianos in your area. I'd say you have to make more of an effort to get things in your favour. Once you have the piano you want, you won't even remember the strain of the 3 hour drive.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Keep looking and be patient... I know that is easy for me to say, but you may come across a great pre-owned piano in great condition at a great price.

Also, if you buy pre-owned from a private seller, have your ducks in a row and be ready to act when a good buy comes along... have the funds availabe as well as a tech for inspection and a mover.

Good luck.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
J
J
Originally Posted by ando
New U1 is above my budget. What would you do??

I'd take the 3 hour drive. Any way you slice it, piano shopping is a time consuming exercise. Plus if you know this dealer has multiple U1s on his floor and within your price range, it's not a wild goose chase, it's just a logical step. Most people spend a LOT of time looking for their piano - there's no reason you should be any different. Particularly if you are bemoaning the lack of affordability of pianos in your area. I'd say you have to make more of an effort to get things in your favour. Once you have the piano you want, you won't even remember the strain of the 3 hour drive.

I agree -I took a 2 hour plane flight to find mine,

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission