Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1932397 - 07/25/12 08:03 PM Bach-Petri Sheep May Safely Graze
PianogrlNW Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I first heard this performed at the Van Cliburn International Competition by Yeol Eum Son, and then again at the VC Amateur Competition performed by Christine Cheng. Both of their performances were wonderful and I fell in love with the piece.

Comments are welcome. I had this on the Members Recording forum and Hakki found it and suggested I post it here. I am not sure my recording meets the high standards on this forum, but here goes.

http://soundcloud.com/ellen-w-1/bach-petri-arrangement-sheep

#1932405 - 07/25/12 08:29 PM Re: Bach-Petri Sheep May Safely Graze [Re: PianogrlNW]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Overall, a very nice sound. I like it!!

I would like to point out a two small things to help you out:
-In measure 3, you play the right hand rhythm incorrectly. You should check it again. When that figure comes back in the piece again, you do the same error there.
-In measures 11 and 12, the 32nd notes are a bit uneven. You should make them perfectly even.

It's actually a hard piece because of all the double notes. You do a very good job of not making it sound too vertical. smile

Glad you played this piece. It's an amazing piece. smile

#1932408 - 07/25/12 08:44 PM Re: Bach-Petri Sheep May Safely Graze [Re: PianogrlNW]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Dear Piano Girl of the North West,

This is a LOVELY recording! The sound of it is very, very pleasant, and your playing is very, very sweet! I am so glad Hakki found this one and had you bump it over here.

I listened to it twice already, and it won't be the last time! (I had the same reaction to JazzyProf's rendition! grin )

This is a very difficult piece to play, I know! And you bring out the melody in such a lovely way, and treat the accompaniment in such a beautiful choral, orchestral kind of way. The only critical comment I would make is to take it just a shade more slowly. It feels a little bit like the shepard is telling the sheep to hurry up and graze already, while looking at his watch. grin But, I'm just trying to be funny there.

O.k. I admit, I've listened to it three times now! It is very, very easy to listen to and very pleasant!

Thank you for posting this!!! More recordings from you, PG! More recordings!

--Andy

#1932413 - 07/25/12 09:02 PM Re: Bach-Petri Sheep May Safely Graze [Re: PianogrlNW]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
My suggestions are:

1. The trills should be somewhat slower. I would play them as even 32nd notes, basically as notated in the score.

2. The voicing of the melody vs. the accompaniment in the right hand is not always clear. For example, the opening note of the vocal part should be somewhat louder than you played it. I would try playing just the right hand part with both hands to hear how it should ideally sound just using the right hand.

3. If you find the 32nd note sixths in measure three and similar places are very difficult, you could leave out the E flat on the first 32nd note without much negative effect IMO.

Edited by pianoloverus (07/25/12 09:30 PM)

#1932456 - 07/25/12 10:52 PM Re: Bach-Petri Sheep May Safely Graze [Re: Cinnamonbear]
PianogrlNW Offline

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
The only critical comment I would make is to take it just a shade more slowly. It feels a little bit like the shepard is telling the sheep to hurry up and graze already, while looking at his watch. grin But, I'm just trying to be funny there.
--Andy

Thanks for listening Andy, Pianoloverus and OSK - I take your suggestions to heart. They're great and informative. Yes, I must think sheep, they graze and don't dart about, be calm. A poster on the other forum, Derulux, also offered very constructive comments. I think this is a piece that will continue to be "in the works". And yes, we do have pianos in the Pacific Northwest - hard to believe!

Ellen

#1932573 - 07/26/12 09:00 AM Re: Bach-Petri Sheep May Safely Graze [Re: PianogrlNW]
Tim Adrianson Offline
500 Post Club Member

You might be intersted in obtaining Mary Howe's transcription of "Sheep May Safely Graze", available through Oxford publishing, if for no other reason than to compare it with Petri's transcription. I play Howe's transcription, and prefer hers to Petri's, although I can't tell you exactly why. My only general comment in your rendition is that I need to hear the singing line in somewhat higher relief than you provide, and it needs to "sing" more -- it's SUCH a beautiful melody, with exquisite chording. A slightly slower tempo would provide more opportunity to achieve the singing effect. Having said that, though, it's otherwise beautifully articulated and presented -- thanks for sharing!

#1932668 - 07/26/12 11:51 AM Re: Bach-Petri Sheep May Safely Graze [Re: PianogrlNW]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: PianogrlNW
Yes, I must think sheep, they graze and don't dart about, be calm.
Ellen
Actually, tempo wise you are not too fast(unless you've change your opinion on the tempo) if you compare your timing to many Youtube performances by professionals.

#1932678 - 07/26/12 11:58 AM Re: Bach-Petri Sheep May Safely Graze [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear

O.k. I admit, I've listened to it three times now! It is very, very easy to listen to and very pleasant!

Same here. And that is all that matters.

I also have to admit that, most of the time I don't listen till the end of member recordings (including my own recordings).

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#1932709 - 07/26/12 12:55 PM Re: Bach-Petri Sheep May Safely Graze [Re: pianoloverus]
PianogrlNW Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Originally Posted By: PianogrlNW
Yes, I must think sheep, they graze and don't dart about, be calm.
Ellen
Actually, tempo wise you are not too fast(unless you've change your opinion on the tempo) if you compare your timing to many Youtube performances by professionals.

I did listen to other performances including Cheng and Son to get a sense of tempo. If I slow the tempo, the piece feels like it's dragging, loses its forward momentum and becomes more vertical. I think that the tempo may appear too fast because the 32nds with the 6ths (or are they inverted 3rds?) sound rushed, and my playing is uneven. I need to learn to not feel rushed when playing those passages.

As for the trills, I need to learn how to do them. Someone posted a video tutorial a couple of months ago about learning to play trills evenly. Unfortunately, that video didn't really help me. I'm working on it with my teacher.

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
160 registered (accordeur, 36251, 50 invisible), 1826 Guests and 54 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74230 Members
42 Forums
153549 Topics
2250377 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pinblocks & bridges... How long do they last?
by Piano Practice
8 minutes 25 seconds ago
Spinoff: What do we think of "technique seminars"?
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 02:46 PM
Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor
by noobpianist90
Today at 01:51 PM
A new performance experience... Need advice.
by Svenno
Today at 01:46 PM
Thoughts on the Yamaha P-255
by voxpops
Today at 01:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission