2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 125 of 190 1 2 123 124 125 126 127 189 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just bumping this thread up so that it isn't too far down the list. LOL

I've pretty much shelved AIO 2 for now, and in fact, because of eye problems and hip problems, have been spending a lot less time at the piano than previously. I'm mostly just playing pieces that I already know and like, and not worrying about learning anything new for a while. Enjoying myself with the Pop Songbook and the Greatest Hits.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
G
G
Bumpity bump!

My recital is next week. Time to FREAK OUT!!!

help

I've been working on the Chopin Etude in Alfred's for a couple of weeks now. It's coming along, but I seem to be progressing slowly. I know, I always say that....I always seem to move slower than I think I should LOL. But it's excusable this time, at least, as I am really focusing my practice time on my recital piece (Gounad's Prelude in C minor) and just fumbling through the Etude a couple of times a day. This one does seem a step up in difficulty, though. Sifting through some older posts, it sounds like several of you guys struggled with it too.

Originally Posted by gahdzila
I've been working on the Chopin Etude in Alfred's for a couple of weeks now. It's coming along, but I seem to be progressing slowly.

Best piece in the book! Everything after is a slog, I have taken a break from this book to work on some supplementals I found in the graded pieces xls file.. 3 little Bach pieces.

Back to this book now smile

Up to V7 and inversions.. wtf is that about.. 1st, 2nd inversion on triads is cool, but 7th's and inversions grrrr... cursing

Probably will need to post back here to confirm my answers to the little quiz on page 95

Sad to see this thread buried on page 5, but this little post will bump it smile

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I still play three pieces from Book 2 as warm-ups or warm-downs:

Etude. This is probably my favorite from the book. It took me a long time to get past hesitations and to get some feeling into it, but I'm glad I've kept at it.

Fascination. Okay, I don't know why I love this one. It's short and either (1) snappy or (2)languid, depending on my mood. I have the original sheet music for this and will probably dig into it one of these days.

Love's Greeting (Salut d' Amor). I did not care for this one that much originally, but I've come to love it, especially as I've improved at playing it. smile It is, however, very very very humbling to look at the original version and hear it being played. I think it is just gorgeous. The piano score (E major) is towards the bottom of the page and the recording by Felipe Sarro (Piano Society) is near the bottom as well.

IMSLP Piano score in E; Felipe Sarro mp3

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gahdzila
Originally Posted by joeb84
Calling book 2 horrible is an understatement. I would relate it to the word horrendous. grin

It's not ALL bad...just most of it whistle LOL. It helps me to think of it less as music and more as a lesson. That's really what Alfred's is to me anyway - it's not a music book, it's a lesson book with the lessons in a musical format. It's easier to plod through when I think of each piece as a lesson where I'm learning something specific and then moving forward (and remembering that when I get this LESSON learned, I won't have to play it again!), rather than letting myself think, "I don't like this kind of music" or "this arrangement is HORRIBLE and ruins this song" etc.

I just glanced back through the threads, and noticed that I've been working on book 2 since May of last year! I didn't realize I'd been plodding through book 2 this long. Almost a whole year now, and I'm only maybe halfway through it! And I zipped through Book 1 in like 4 months! Of course, I am concentrating MOSTLY on my supplementary stuff now and I've only been taking one piece from Alfred's at a time now, so that makes a huge difference. I really hope it doesn't take me another whole year to get through the rest of this thing. I think when the time comes, I will request that we not do book 3 at all and just have my teacher keep throwing other classical stuff that I like in front of me.

I have been in book 2 for quite some time as well now. I finished book 1 in a few months but this one i believe i started last june. so over a year but i was also working with a teacher supplementary material and other problems as well. just starting back up though to focus on alfred strictly just to get through because it does have some good lessons. i think book 2 was hard for me because it focuses mainly on harmony which is avery intricate complex subject for music.

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
Book 2 is becoming a slog.. I find myself printing more and more other pieces (mostly Bach) to supplement this book.. Some pieces are not as enjoyable as the progression in book one frown

G
G
Originally Posted by starbug
Book 2 is becoming a slog.

I know!

I've gone NOWHERE since my last post. My teacher goes on vacation every year for 5 or 6 weeks in June-July, so I've been on my own. I've got Étude pretty much done, I think....it sounds good to me, at least.

I guess I *could* have gone ahead and started working on the next piece in the Alfred's book, but I didn't LOL. Instead, I decided to try my hand at Tchaikovsky's Sick Doll. It's a very simple piece, but it's very dark and moving when played well. I can pretty much sight read it...but it doesn't sound good yet. It's getting better as I get smoother and get the dynamics working better.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Maybe I'm the only one, but I like book 2! I'm in the Mexican section right now, having just finished La Bamba.

Learner
@ malkin.. Yes, the first part of book 2 is great fun..

I found that after Etude, the book becomes not as much fun.. Perhaps that is because I thought etude is the best piece in the book, and after completing that, there isn't as much to look forward to.. at least until toccata & fugue in book 3 hehehe smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Not worried.
My teacher is keep me busy with other stuff that is fun and I imagine he will continue to do so. He started me with book 2 because I have a bit of a rag-tag background he wants me to move quickly through a lot of music.

Anyway, my new thinking is that each week, I need to spend the most time on the piece I like the least (so I can be sure to get it passed off!)

Learner

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
So, I'm doing the first part of Book 2... I must say I'm enjoying it because these pieces are about the same difficulty (and I would say they are as difficult as The Entertainer in Book 1) so I can go back and forth between them as my mood goes. At first I had quite a hard time playing staccato with the LH and legato with the RH, but I'm getting there.

My problem with these songs is I don't really want to memorize them, and right now this seems to be the only way I can play them smoothly. I think my sight-reading is improving but I still need to know what comes next, especially with a fast tempo. And yet I don't want to waste precious space in my brain for this kind of arrangements... even if they sound nice to me now. Anyway, I don't feel ready for other things - not even the popular songs from the Really Easy Piano series! laugh

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Don't worry about wasting precious space by memorising these easy pieces.

Memorising a piece doesn't use space - it creates it. Memory is a series of neural connections; the more you make, the more you can make. Memorising these pieces will make it easier to memorise harder pieces later on.

Richard
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I agree with Richard. Don't worry that memorizing these pieces will take up room that you might want to use for other, better pieces. When you learn to count, you don't have to shove out 1 and 2 to make room for 9 and 10. grin

If you memorize them, and they stick in your memory, then they (the ones you like) make good warmup pieces. Plus, you will find that there's always something to work on, musicality-wise.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie
I agree with Richard. Don't worry that memorizing these pieces will take up room that you might want to use for other, better pieces. When you learn to count, you don't have to shove out 1 and 2 to make room for 9 and 10. grin

Yeah, nice analogy smile

I don't know much about memorization processes, but I read a few things on neuroplasticity and it looks like the space you have is actually limited, like if you learn one thing really well your brain changes in a way that makes it harder to do some other things. The good news is you can always modify and increase the existing links and remodel your brain if you decide to learn something new!
But I'm pretty sure this doesn't really matter at this stage laugh

Talking about piano, what I'd really like is not to learn simple songs that I can play to friends (who would like them just because they know nothing about music), but to identify and learn the alphabet, the building blocks, patterns, motives that will make it easier and easier to learn what comes next.

Just random thoughts!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm sure you can find "research" to support any belief you may have. However, there is much consensus that the human brain likes patterns, so learning and recognizing patterns is probably useful.

Right now, I am trying not to memorize, but to learn to read fluently.

Learner

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Still in the review section of book 2... can't wait to move on to new keys and chords, but there's a lot of new stuff here too! I'm afraid I'm moving a bit too fast and skipping some songs - not altogether, but I just read them, play the two hands separately and then together very very slowly, and that's about it. Alexander's Ragtime Band is one of them, I don't like the arrangement very much and my Julie Andrew's recording is so much better and quite different. I guess I will wait until I can play the original version.

Right now I'm polishing Light & Blue (which I like a lot!) and Hungarian Rhapsody, but I've already done La Raspa and the horrible He's a Jolly Good Fellow. But I'm in need of slow, relaxed music right now, and the Alfred book isn't offering any at this stage, so I'm also starting First Lessons in Bach.

What about you guys, where are you at?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I am at Plaisir d'Amour.

I have to work hard on broken chords--the endless barrage of bass clef notes is slow for me because I cannot read them very efficiently.

Fortunately, my teacher has me playing Martha Mier, whom I now call Martha My Dear, because the pieces are so fun.

When I played Light and Blue, my fingers acted like crowd of drunks leaving a bar after last rounds and staggering around the sidewalk, crashing into sign posts, parking meters, and each other.

Learner
L
L
Originally Posted by malkin
...my fingers acted like crowd of drunks leaving a bar after last rounds and staggering around the sidewalk, crashing into sign posts, parking meters, and each other.
thumb Priceless! laugh

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin

When I played Light and Blue, my fingers acted like crowd of drunks leaving a bar after last rounds and staggering around the sidewalk, crashing into sign posts, parking meters, and each other.

laugh

I really wish I could play this kind of entertaining little songs to friends, though... well, some day it will happen. I just got Alfred's Jazz/Rock Course, too wink

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
I'm getting restless with the first part of this book and I keep going back and forth... I will definitely skip some pieces. Now that Hungarian Rhapsody is done I'm jumping forward to Scherzo - I really like arpeggios!

Just watched a video of this song played by a real pianist and what a difference it makes even if it's an easy beginner piece! Oh the touch, and the fancy hand gestures...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC7kR12Pn6k

Page 125 of 190 1 2 123 124 125 126 127 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission