2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,646 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
I also might look at the Crumar

http://www.crumar.it/?a=showproduct&b=3

Reasonably elegant look for hires, not too hard to cart around, and VST quality piano sound.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by doremi
The Crumar is sooo cute, put a tall Beethoven bust on the protruding curve on the left, and you are all set, at least for looks. May even be your signature appearance to market your brand.

Pity you then have to ugly it up by assembling a computer and cables around it...

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by ando

Pity you then have to ugly it up by assembling a computer and cables around it...

No, the computer is built into it. Just run power cable, and audio cable to your amp (no built in speakers).

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by anotherscott

No, the computer is built into it. Just run power cable, and audio cable to your amp (no built in speakers).

Oh, right. That's a good feature. I take it you still need a monitor though?

Aidan Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry, but for me personally, the Crumar looks like a toy. Maybe it looks better in the flesh - difficult to tell.

I'm most probably going to go for the "DP on dedicated stand" idea mooted earlier in this thread, most probably either the Kawai ES7 or Casio PX350. And in white, since that's all a lot of brides seem to care about.

I have a small Electrovoice ZXA1 powered speaker I can use in conjunction with the internal speakers to get a good, room-filling sound.

I like the light weight of the Casio but the name does have some negative connotations which could put some people off. I think the last line from Casio had the Privia branding on the back panel, but the newcomers appear to have Casio in big lettering - don't know if Mike Martin can comment on that?

The Kawai looks nice, and certainly the stand and overall visual impression is more impressive, but the weight of 22kg is a little bit intimidating.

Live: Casio PX-5S | Hammond SK1
Studio: Yamaha CP4 | Hammond SK2 | Kurzweil PC361 | Moog Sub 37
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
. I take it you still need a monitor though?

I believe you would need a monitor to set up certain parameters, but would not need to gig with it.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Aidan

The Kawai looks nice, and certainly the stand and overall visual impression is more impressive, but the weight of 22kg is a little bit intimidating.

Oh come on, you were contemplating moving an N1 around a minute ago. 22kg is no big deal. Geez a lot of people around here are delicate flowers. Everybody wants a first rate piano that weighs 10kg! I used to carry a guitar rig up flights of stair that weighed 45kg! Quality weighs something.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
ES7, in white, in a wedding chapel?

[Linked Image]

Bingo!

I'm inclined to agree with you though - 22kg is perhaps a little on the heavy side, especially compared to Nord or Casio. I would absolutely love Kawai to develop an ultra-lightweight instrument, however action authenticity and built-quality will always take priority.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Aidan Offline OP
OP Offline
James do you know how easily the piano comes off that stand? Does it just lift off or are there things to unscrew etc?

Aiden,

The board is secured to the stand with four thumbscrews on the underside.

For more information please refer to the stand and pedal assembly instructions.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
[silly humour]
re: 22kg too heavy, please watch: Everythings Amazing & Nobodys Happy

Greg.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by sullivang
[silly humour]
re: 22kg too heavy, please watch: Everythings Amazing & Nobodys Happy

Greg.

Yes, nice one. And in the spirit of the clip I'd like to say I was DISGUSTED by the poor picture quality. World wide web. Pfff!

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
;^) I'm just as guilty as everyone else - one reason I have my PX-330 is that most of the others are "too heavy". ;^)

Greg.

Aidan Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey Greg, yeah, I was hoping your link was at least partially tongue in cheek. smile

Ando, I'm very well acquainted with the bad old days of schlepping ridiculously heavy keyboards that only made one sound. But if there's a choice (as there now is), I make no apologies for weight being a consideration.

It's not just load in and load out - many of my engagements involve moving the piano to another position at least once, e.g. playing for the wedding ceremony in one room, then the drinks in another, then maybe the wedding breakfast in yet another.

All this usually has to be achieved in the shortest time possible, often involving carrying gear through crowds of drunken wedding guests who don't give a crap about where you're trying to go with large pieces of expensive and heavy equipment.

In those situations, weight and convenience become significant - which is why I asked James about the stand logistics.

The Casio is not only distinctly lighter but also (as I understand it, anyway) just lifts in and out of the stand - can any owners of the CS67 stand confirm? That again is a score for the Casio.

That said:

* I think the Kawai stand and pedals look superior cosmetically and in quality.

* From only around three videos available of either the ES7 or PX350 so far, the Kawai sounds far superior to these ears. The Casio's mid-range in the Tom Brislin clip sounds quite thin and brittle.

I'm not being a wimp, I'm making a choice. A choice which is far from being made, btw - especially given that I haven't yet laid hands on either of these instruments.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Aidan
Hey Greg, yeah, I was hoping your link was at least partially tongue in cheek. smile

Ando, I'm very well acquainted with the bad old days of schlepping ridiculously heavy keyboards that only made one sound. But if there's a choice (as there now is), I make no apologies for weight being a consideration.

It's not just load in and load out - many of my engagements involve moving the piano to another position at least once, e.g. playing for the wedding ceremony in one room, then the drinks in another, then maybe the wedding breakfast in yet another.

All this usually has to be achieved in the shortest time possible, often involving carrying gear through crowds of drunken wedding guests who don't give a crap about where you're trying to go with large pieces of expensive and heavy equipment.

In those situations, weight and convenience become significant - which is why I asked James about the stand logistics.

The Casio is not only distinctly lighter but also (as I understand it, anyway) just lifts in and out of the stand - can any owners of the CS67 stand confirm? That again is a score for the Casio.

That said:

* I think the Kawai stand and pedals look superior cosmetically and in quality.

* From only around three videos available of either the ES7 or PX350 so far, the Kawai sounds far superior to these ears. The Casio's mid-range in the Tom Brislin clip sounds quite thin and brittle.

I'm not being a wimp, I'm making a choice. A choice which is far from being made, btw - especially given that I haven't yet laid hands on either of these instruments.

Yeah, but will you quibble over quality if you make this lightweight choice? There is a certain necessary weight that is necessary for a quality action and solid feeling when you pound on a keyboard. 22kg is pretty reasonable for a robust keyboard. The lighter it gets the less satisfying it becomes to play as a piano. I agree that my 45kg rig was a real ball-buster and I wouldn't recommend that to anyone, but 22kg is manageable, IMO. Get yourself a lightweight extendable trolley and you can easily wheel in a much heavier keyboard than that with no strain on your back or hands at all. I bought one for $40 and to can strap virtually anything to it. I've got this one and it great! Folds up flat and tiny too, weighs nothing.

[Linked Image]

I'm suggesting you revisit your strict weight criteria because I think you are a serious player and you won't be happy on any of the lightweight options for very long. They feel like toys if you know what a quality action feels like - and I suspect you do because you were considering an N1 before this.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Aiden,

I used my white FP-7F at a wedding a couple of weeks ago. Nice sound, nice action, nice looks (from a wedding perspective), but let down by the butt-ugly black stand I used. It's also at the limit of portability for me. I wouldn't like to have had to move it much during the event.

The FP-4F also comes in white and is a fair bit lighter (circa 37lbs?) - but I can't vouch for the action. Both of these will apparently fit on the matching Roland KSC-44 furniture stand. It might be worth comparing the Rolands to the Kawai and Casio.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Pity you then have to ugly it up by assembling cables around it...

... also, it is designed so that the cables fit inside the stand. There are also program change and transpose buttons hidden on the underside.

B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
go with the privia Aidan. how many people at a wedding - who are too busy checking out the bride's cleavage during the ceremony, and then yucking it up and drinking too much at the reception, are really paying attention to sympathetic resonance and half-pedaling?

besides, if you get something too heavy, you will sweat too much and your pants will ride down in the back and you'll look like the proverbial plumber.

PS: i'm saying all this, not just to be cute, but because i've been to several events where a portable instrument was necessary, and i've noticed the privia working just fine, if amplified and eq'd properly. there is a tendency to put too much bass in the eq when playing live it seems. but it worked fine and it looked nice.

Last edited by bfb; 07/27/12 02:28 PM.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission