2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 299 of 540 1 2 297 298 299 300 301 539 540
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
I"m sure the people here are big minded enough to hear a little violin talk.

I do have a question. Does the violin feel it when you are tense?

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
rnaple, what did you mean by "the violin feel it"? I can't tell how my violin feels. She doesn't talk to me.

Be yourself

R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Tubbie0075
rnaple, what did you mean by "the violin feel it"? I can't tell how my violin feels. She doesn't talk to me.

Shure she talks to you. She stops making screeching noises when you make her feel good.

EDIT: To put it a little more basic and blunt.
If you feel nervous, or tense. Is it impossible to get that violin to play a good note? No matter what you do?

Last edited by rnaple; 01/12/14 12:59 PM.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
S
S
I've been slacking frown i missed TWO entire days of practice. I won't give up tho. Just gotta fixed up my poor lesson last week this week!

"Doesn't practicing on the piano suck?!?!"
"The joy is in the practicing. It's like relationships. Yeah, orgasms are awesome, but you can't make love to someone who you have no relationship with!"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rnaple

Shure she talks to you. She stops making screeching noises when you make her feel good.

EDIT: To put it a little more basic and blunt.
If you feel nervous, or tense. Is it impossible to get that violin to play a good note? No matter what you do?

You can still make a "decent" sound on the violin (if you are good enough to cover it), but it tend to not last, and you tend to avoid a certain "risky" sections of the bow. You'd also tend to avoid shifting to higher positions where possible to avoid poor intonation. Having these limitations will of course make the overall performance not as good as if you are able to play free of nervousness and tension.

A violin is a violin. As much as we want to believe it has "human" feelings and behaviours, it's just a violin. It being made of wood and many intricate parts make it vulnerable to temperate and humidity. So there will be times when even if you are "in the zone", you still can't put on your best performance. But thinking the violin (or piano or whatever instrument) has a "feelings" of its own makes it convenient for players to blame the instrument when things go wrong.

Be yourself

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
@FarmGirl & Tubbie

I thought you might get a kick out of this video I saw over in the tech forum grin
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MIgMeyW4TEM[/video]

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
FarmGirl,
So glad it was a fixable problem with the vertigo. That is an awful experience for you. Silly dogs think that jumping at our faces is a good thing. Violin too? You go girl.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
Multiple instruments? ambitious, I like it! smile

I have always loved the sound of strings and considered it as a possibility later in life, but for now piano is more than enough to wrap my head around!

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
E
E
Celebrated my 1 year pianoversarry last week =)

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Ragdoll, I am afraid to starting the video to see what's on (sorry I have very dirty mind).
I do practice in bathrooms. My husband takes guest bathrooms I take ours. The reason? you can check your violin and bow hold.

ElleC - congrats for your forum birthday!

Wisebuff - Yeah we love them no matter what they do. News! Charlie (again) have been liking to put his head on the pedal and sleep. I discovered this morning that one of the wood support of the pedal came off! expensive dog. He is too heavy for that (95lb). i have to lock him up when I practice.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll, I am afraid to starting the video to see what's on (sorry I have very dirty mind).
I do practice in bathrooms. My husband takes guest bathrooms I take ours. The reason? you can check your violin and bow hold.

@FarmGirl Haha, not to worry, I would never send an offensive video to you, much less post it here. It came up because one of the techs had been chasing down a strange vibration in a customers piano, he came across this and posted it over there. The bathroom plays an important part in the ensemble. grin I just thought it was kinda cute and might interest you `cause you have taken violin up recently.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by ElleC
Celebrated my 1 year pianoversarry last week =)

Congratulations ElleC

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A good AOTW has just occurred to me this evening. I haven't had a disappointing practice session all year so far. I am seeing real improvement in my reading skills as well. This I think has helped me to learn new things easier and certainly faster. Wish I had put more efficient effort into this initially when I began piano lessons.

On a rather not so good note, my teacher interview was a slight disappointment in that it won't work for me as she only gives 1/2 hr. sessions, also, in my home. frown Not sure why she couldn't have told me this over the phone as I did ask about her studio or facility and piano(s). Then we somehow got off the subject onto methods and goals and never got back to it. She also seemed a bit vague about her training wrt teaching. Oh well only 30 minutes lost <shrug>.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
This is my first time posting in this thread. I wanted to wait for a suitably impressive achievement. It happened today. A student no-showed, and during that half hour...

... I cleaned my desk.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
lol

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Ragdoll
A as she only gives 1/2 hr. sessions, also, in my home.

I only take half hour lessons although I could make them longer but half an hour is just enough time for me

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Ragdoll

@FarmGirl Haha, not to worry, I would never send an offensive video to you, much less post it here. It came up because one of the techs had been chasing down a strange vibration in a customers piano, he came across this and posted it over there. The bathroom plays an important part in the ensemble. grin I just thought it was kinda cute and might interest you `cause you have taken violin up recently.

Rag doll - it was a cute video. Thank you

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
ElleC - Congatulations!
Ragdoll - Good luck find another teacher... Nice to know about your progress.
hreichgott - LOL!

No big AOTW for me: once memorized, I've been polishing my "In a Time Lapse" piece.
And I'm consolidating the organization of our European Piano Party 2014.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Congratulations ElleC...hard to quit after a year. The need for piano just becomes more intense.

Ragdoll, she definitely could have said that over the phone.

hreichgott, that's funny. I worked in my home office the other day wanting to make progress on a writing project. Instead I reorganized and discarded the stacks (and stacks) of journal articles trying to cull it down to current projects. I have a tendency to find many interesting articles that are not on topic for my writing. My eclectic interests are fun but not as productive. I'd say my music stacks are similar.

CarlosCC, good progress for you

So far this year I'm dusting off 7 formerly learned pieces and embracing three new ones as I build a playable repertoire. It's a hard habit for me. I have a tendency (as noted above) to go off on tangents and pull out other books or buy new ones instead of polishing (or even mastering) the ones I've listed.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I used to play in the bathroom sometimes in my old apartment because it has a long mirror (to check my bowing) and the echo is fabulous! But it didn't have a musical tab like in the video.

Be yourself

Page 299 of 540 1 2 297 298 299 300 301 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission