Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1930634 - 07/22/12 11:15 AM Best touch - no bells and whistles
goodkeys Offline

Hello everybody

I'm soon to get a new digitalpiano/masterkeyboard. All I care for is the keys really. As a longtime playing, classicaly trained pianist I'm picky about that. The sound does not matter since I'll use it with computer sounds anyway. I'll spend what I have to to get as expressive as possible a keyboard.
Here in switzerland there's no place where I can try out many different products, so I'd like to make sure not to miss any contenders smile
So far I've shortly played a Roland FP 7F and did like the keys. So that's already an option. Other than that I want to try the Kawai MP 6 and MP 10. If I can find one around I'll be checking the Numa Nero too, though I've read some discouraging comments about it.

Are there any news about the release date of the Casio Privia PX 150 and the Physis Piano? Would I do good to wait for these or are they in a lower segment than the aforementioned anyway? Any other options I missed out?

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1930640 - 07/22/12 11:23 AM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
You mention that you're classically trained and you're picky about the keys. That eliminates all of the pianos you've listed. Low-end and midrange pianos are playable, but their keyboards won't come close to what you get in a proper acoustic piano.

The only choices left are the Yamaha Avant Grand pianos, the N1, N2, N3. These have a true acoustic piano action. They range from approx. $7000 USD for the N1 to around $12000-$14000 for the N3 (US prices).

#1930642 - 07/22/12 11:32 AM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
pianoxcape Offline

Loc: Cape Cod
If you're looking for "portability" and a great key touch, be sure to evaluate these (no particular order):

Roland RD-700
Kawai MP-10
Physis Piano (release in Europe this Fall) - be sure you evaluate the H1 (wooden key version)
Teacher, Entrepreneur...Parent

#1930643 - 07/22/12 11:33 AM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I think you are basically going the right way. People picky about keys buy wanting a digital (not a hybrid, like the Avant Grands) tend to go for either Roland's PHAIII keyboard, of which the FP7F is the cheapest example, or one of Kawai's actions. Remember that Kawai has two new actions out. The CA65 has the new GF wood action and the ES7 has the replacement for the RH action in the MP6. Probably the only big difference in the latter case is the addition of a third sensor, but a nice touch depends on the sensors as well as the physical keys.

Notice that people typically like Kawai or Roland, but not both. You might take another look around to see if you can sample a Kawai. Barring that, just pick up the FP7F. You already know you like it and there are no pure digitals that are unambiguously better.

#1930655 - 07/22/12 11:52 AM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: goodkeys
So far I've shortly played a Roland FP 7F and did like the keys. So that's already an option. Other than that I want to try the Kawai MP 6 and MP 10.

You should also try the Yamaha CP5, which is closer to the Roland than the Kawais.

The MP6 and MP10 feel very different from each other. To me, the MP6 feels a bit like the Yamaha GH actions (CP33, P155, CP300).

#1930697 - 07/22/12 01:10 PM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
goodkeys Offline

Thanks for the comments. If I'm not mistaken The RD-700 features the same keyboad as the FP 7F (the PHA III) so that's already covered. I'm definitely adding the Yamaha CP 5 to my list.

#1930936 - 07/22/12 09:48 PM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
Keegan Offline

Loc: Canada (Ottawa, ON)
Best touch - no bells and whistles?

...no such thing

#1930947 - 07/22/12 10:19 PM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
dje31 Offline

Some might say the discontinued Yamaha KX-88, though, being purely a MIDI controller board, it has no bells, whistles, pianos, or any other on-board sounds whatsoever.

The action, I'm told, is quite good.

Edited by dje31 (07/22/12 10:20 PM)

#1930980 - 07/22/12 11:41 PM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: Keegan]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: Keegan

...no such thing

Not yet. wink

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1931026 - 07/23/12 01:04 AM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Best touch no B's & W's ? Kawai MP-10 and Roland RD700NX ... without a doubt. RD700NX has best sound of any DP thrown in.

#1931060 - 07/23/12 03:19 AM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: Kawai James]
goodkeys Offline

Originally Posted By: Kawai James

...no such thing

Not yet. wink

Now is that a hint that somethings coming up? smile

It looks like I haven't missed any big contenders. Now it's the question whether to wait for the new Privia PXs and the Physis Piano or not. I guess I'll head into some shops and do some playing on the FP 7F, the MP 6/10, and the Yamaha CP 5. Then we'll see if a model does completely convince me...

#1931280 - 07/23/12 12:56 PM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: goodkeys
Hello everybody

I'm soon to get a new digitalpiano/masterkeyboard. All I care for is the keys really. ....
So far I've shortly played a Roland FP 7F and did like the keys. So that's already an option. Other than that I want to try the Kawai MP 6 and MP 10..

You have already found the best ones. The FP7F is good but you might prefer the Kawia. Yamaha has much more firm keys. I think I'd call a CP50 or P155 a firmer version of Kauai MP6.

I think you may find that while you prefer light action on a grand piano with a digital you might like more weight. They are different instruments.

If you think of the DP as a different instrument then you don't see it as a poorer copy of a grand. A DP like the FP7F is actually better suited to making commercial music (sound tracks for videos, pop recordings and what not.) then is a grand.

Also the internal sound on the new Roland fp7f is good enough you will not need the computer most of the time.

#1931318 - 07/23/12 02:22 PM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
One more vote for MP6. And it is better than FP7 and CP50 as a master controller since it has pitch band and modulation, 4 external zones, etc. I play mostly classical and I love the keyboard. Believe it or not, I like it more than the wooden keyboard in my ex-Kawai CA63.

#1931323 - 07/23/12 02:47 PM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: Kawai James]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA

...no such thing

Not yet. wink
It did exist; it just came and went. Bosendorfer made a few prototype CEUSmaster slabs that never found a place in the market. Like other hybrids, it had a real action, but unlike the others, it was from a full-sized concert grand, hammers and all. Also, it had no bells/whistles. It had 1 piano sound and a full set of connections for stage or computer use. I also think the price tag was like $30k +/-.

My FP-7F is now at home and it makes me happy. But then I like its bells and whistles, too.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1931332 - 07/23/12 03:13 PM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Small remark, but big impact for me and perhaps others. I'm referring to the 'not yet ' of James. Since I , and I guess some others, have been looking for a really good old fashioned master keyboard for controlling SW instruments and outboard gear, I can't wait to see what it means. A master keyboard controller with RH II and somewhat portable (< 20kg) would be very welcome. But I'm not sure if the hint of James goes in that direction...he's probably already said too much , so that'll be all the hints we get I suspect.

Should I hold my breath ? or will I suffocate before anything materializes ..

#1931395 - 07/23/12 05:20 PM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: ChrisA]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Kawia?? I guess the American Indians are now manufacturing pianos!
Originally Posted By: ChrisA
You have already found the best ones. The FP7F is good but you might prefer the Kawia.

Kauai?? So I guess Hawaiians are now making pianos, too!
Quote:
I think I'd call a CP50 or P155 a firmer version of Kauai MP6.

I just couldn't resist. smile smile

#1931403 - 07/23/12 05:33 PM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

JFP, you'll just have to wait and see.

James
x

#1931452 - 07/23/12 06:54 PM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: Kawai James]
EssBrace Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom

James
x

What a tease...

#1931635 - 07/24/12 02:51 AM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: EssBrace]
goodkeys Offline

Originally Posted By: EssBrace

James
x

What a tease...

Yeah, while I certainly appreciate the info I'm somewhat in a dilemma now smile Let's see how I feel about it after store-testing the aforementioned units. But James's tease sure does sound tempting

#1931638 - 07/24/12 03:07 AM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

My apologies, I didn't intend to make a difficult decision even harder.

Please disregard my comment.

Cheers,
James
x

#1931639 - 07/24/12 03:07 AM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well , I assume (just my thought) that Kawai is working on something like a true masterkeyboard controller, with:

- high quality keybed ( would aftertouch be at all possible with RH II ?)
- medium lightweight (<20kg) , preferably more around 15
- no bells and whistle in offered sounds, but enought sliders, knobs and pedal inputs for control
- my wish: integrated usb audio interface, so you can connect your laptop to the piano and use its hight quality audio outputs (don't have to carry an extra audio interface).
- some other welcome innovations (embedded qwerty keyboard , or at least room to setup your laptop / tablet ? )

Or...he means a true portable piano without additional sounds and bells and whisles like an arranger , speakers etc. That would be spartanic , but pure and saves weight and cost for stuff most people don't use anyway. That would mean:

- Best (portable) keybed,
- best piano sound technology available, perhaps AP and EP and nothing more.
- no additional stuff that eats up memory and CPU, or adds weight.

I know; be patient my friend ;-) But a hint in which of those two directions were aiming would be welcome.

#1931648 - 07/24/12 03:58 AM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: Kawai James]
goodkeys Offline

My apologies, I didn't intend to make a difficult decision even harder.

Please disregard my comment.

No need to apologize, quite the contrary. Your contribution is very welcome. In fact it is great that you are taking the time to respond to our questions and provide us with some early informations. So thanks for that

Originally Posted By: JFP
- high quality keybed ( would aftertouch be at all possible with RH II ?)
- medium lightweight (<20kg) , preferably more around 15
- no bells and whistle in offered sounds, but enought sliders, knobs and pedal inputs for control
- my wish: integrated usb audio interface, so you can connect your laptop to the piano and use its hight quality audio outputs (don't have to carry an extra audio interface).

Now that's truly something I'm waiting for!

#1931649 - 07/24/12 04:00 AM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Don't knobs and sliders count as 'bells and whistles' though?

#1931652 - 07/24/12 04:25 AM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

In that case I expect option 2 :

very HQ spartanic portable; best keybed / best AP sound / no frills. But hopefully not only with the heavy wooden keybed like on the MP10; it's very good, but not so portable ( unless you have you're own personal roadies available 24/7).

An RH II would be good if fitted in a lighter frame. The ES 7 is still 22 kg due to material used for the casing, the added speakers and amps etc. I don't know how much the RH keybed itself weighs , but if the casing is made of a sturdy but lightweight material, perhaps 15 - 20 kg is possible ? For a start throw out the wooden bottom and wooden side panels ( wood is heavy compared to some of the alternatives on the market). Just my thought...

@James , I will disregard your comments as long as you keep making them ;-)

Edited by JFP (07/24/12 04:32 AM)

#1931720 - 07/24/12 08:29 AM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
I don't think we need Kawai James to predict that the MP10 will be improved along the lines of the upgrade of the CA93 to CA95.

What we need is hands-on experience of the new Grand Feel keyboard and a listen to the HI-XL sounds.

#1933962 - 07/29/12 05:18 AM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
goodkeys Offline

What I'm really looking for would be a masterkeyboard with good touch (like in a dp) but without the sounds. Seems to me no such device exists. The most expensive masterkeyboards (Numa Nero, Doepfer LMK4+ etc) are nowhere near a good dp in quality of the keyboard action imo. So it seems I have to pay for the sounds eventhough I don't need them when wanting a good action.

#1934010 - 07/29/12 07:35 AM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

+1

#1934042 - 07/29/12 08:13 AM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

A few thoughts about various topics within this thread...

In general, the consensus seems to be that Yamaha, Roland, and Kawai make the best keyboard mechanisms. All these companies keep their designs to themselves, they don't make them available to other companies. Yamaha and Roland have long ago stopped making soundless controllers (and I don't think Kawai ever did). So unless some new player comes to the market, I don't expect to see a quality piano-action soundless controller on the market.

So many people want high quality but light weight, but if your standards for "high quality" are the current 50+ pound boards, there's no evidence that such a thing can exist. These mechanisms themselves are probably pretty heavy, and a box to hold them needs a certain amount of structural strength in order to support a heavy component without flexing, etc. But even assuming they could put the keybed into a lighter enclosure, it is likely that the same keybed in a less substantial enclosure will actually not feel as good to play, too, so there would still be a compromise.

All that said, a lot of people have found the Infinite Response VAX77 to be a very satisfying and expressive instrument to play piano on, even though it does not feel the same as a real piano, and it only has 76 keys. It's relatively light (under 40 lbs). This may be a good option to consider. One of the things that makes the VAX77 interesting is that it is capable of far more than the 127 standard MIDI velocities, so that provides a unique advantage when paired with a software piano that is capable of recognizing the finer gradations in veloicty. I know PIanoteq does, I don't know what else.

Lastly a number of people have said their ideal piano-only board would lack bells and whistles "like speakers." In my experience, the boards that feel best to play are the ones with speakers, because the resulting vibrations provide an illusion that the keys are actually connected to something making sound, you can feel it in your fingers. All speaker-less keybeds feel somewhat "dead" in this respect, compared to models with speakers, IMO. Though as long as we're talking about wishing someone would build something that isn't likely to exist, I suppose they could come out with some other haptic vibration mechanism other than speakers that would produce the same effect.

Along those lines, in a lightweight board, although certainly not top-of-line, I happen to like the feel of the Casio PX-310 (better than their new models). It has a line input that feeds signal to its internal speakers. I have used that board with its own sound turned off, feeding the sound of some other device I am triggering back into its speakers, and have found that to be quite enjoyable to play.

#1934082 - 07/29/12 09:30 AM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A good quality , sturdy keybed certainly has it weight. Point taken.

On the other hand many very , very strong and (!) lightweight materials have come onto the market in decades due to developments in space and aviation technology. If someone could combine the design of the best keybeds with the use of those strong, light high-tech materials and use similar material for the casing as well (instead of metal & wood, what you still see right now) , then you wouldn't have to compromise on quality and still have a light-weight board.

The only thing you'll probably have to compromise on is price. I guess these lighweight composites are still more expensive per square inch than old fashioned metal, wood and other well known materials. But how much more expensive (if at all) , is unknown to me. I'm not an expert on that. Perhaps someone who is, can estimate the influence on price if these modern materials are used.

So either the manufactures know these materials exist, but calculated it would be too expensive. Or they are ignorant and keep on using what they always did. Or it's not even that much more expensive, but they just don't care and are reluctant to change. I don't know - pick your answer...

#1934090 - 07/29/12 09:58 AM Re: Best touch - no bells and whistles [Re: goodkeys]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Perhaps carbon fibre would be that material. In which case, its own raw material cost would be very high compared with conventional materials.

Add to that the extra costs of RD, admin, retooling and small scale production and, yes, you would probably have a beautiful keyboard, but the price would be very much more significantly high than the big series instruments (CP5, FP7f, MP10 and so on). Maybe at least double the price.

Edited by toddy (07/29/12 10:02 AM)

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
73 registered (Akshay, bennevis, angelsong, adanepst, 22 invisible), 1295 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153516 Topics
2249678 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission