Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#1937222 - 08/04/12 09:23 AM Re: Death of a Piano - Landfill Pianos [Re: xorbe]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Originally Posted By: xorbe
Yeah seeing many double posts, and I keep getting:

UBB Message
We encountered a problem. The reason reported was
Database error only visible to forum administrators
Please click back to return to the previous page.

When trying to click on a thread title that should take me to the latest post that I haven't read yet.

edit: I got that message upon making this post too.

Oh ... #UNREAD is trying to take me to a post that seems to be invisible to me in the thread. This is like that one thread that had 11 replies, but only the original post was visible.

Yes, I get those UBB messages too. For me, one time I accidentally pushed submit twice but, I'm on my laptop on vacation so I don't generally use this one. The 2nd time above, I was having fun being the smarty pants that I am! smile
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1937520 - 08/04/12 10:09 PM Re: Death of a Piano - Landfill Pianos [Re: Norbert]
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, US
Originally Posted By: Norbert
People may be surprised to learn that there actually is a very lucrative, if "quiet" market out there restoring and shipping golden oldies to China.

Norbert

Maybe over there a giant American piano is a status symbol.

#1937549 - 08/05/12 12:01 AM Re: Death of a Piano - Landfill Pianos [Re: Piano World]
thetandyman Offline

Loc: Indiana
I have read that the "gray market" Japanese pianos are shipped to the US because the Japanese folks don't like buying used pianos. Is this true with China? I remember years ago that the Japanese people were paying tons of money to acquire high end tube audio equipment from the USA. I sold several Marantz and MacIntosh units to Japan back in the early 90's. They were also paying crazy money for '50's cars such as the 1959 Cadillacs. I think the big money in that country has slowed due to the changing economy. What does this forum say?

#1938858 - 08/07/12 03:54 PM Re: Death of a Piano - Landfill Pianos [Re: Piano World]
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
A friend of mine pointed out a follow up post in the NYT that lists some places you can get rid of old pianos, without dumping them in the dump...

Places to Donate Pianos

Where a Condemned Piano Can Win an Appeal

Aghast at the idea of pianos being dumped, crushed, burned and dismembered?

The emotions evoked by the deaths of used pianos are powerful, and they came flooding in response to a recent article in The New York Times about their frequent disposal and the reasons for it. But when it comes to keeping old pianos alive, owners find that their feelings collide with the reality of expensive repairs and inexpensive, easily available brand-new replacements.

Still, a few options exist.

Places to Donate Pianos
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#1939237 - 08/08/12 09:26 AM Re: Death of a Piano - Landfill Pianos [Re: Piano World]
leemax Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: pacific nw, usa
I haven't read all the posts here, but I have to say that I understand how pianos can get dumped. I had a heck of a time getting rid of my old acoustic and it was still in great shape, relatively speaking. I consider myself lucky to have finally found someone who would take it for free.
This is kind of similar to what happens at my bicycle shop: people stop by all the time wanting to give me old, crappy bikes that they are taking to the dump. They think I will want them for parts or to fix up and give away to people. I have no use for a bunch of worn out parts, I am in business to make money, not to refurbish junk and then donate it, and I don't have the space to store a bunch of old bikes. Imagine how much more of a problem all of that would be with a piano! I know people invest a lot of emotional energy in their pianos, but there comes a time when they (the pianos!) are past their useful life and need to be disposed of, like an older car with a blown engine and tranny that needs to finally be hauled away and crushed, even if it was the site of your first kiss or best road trip or whatever. It happens. Keep the memories, let go of the object. Never love anything that can't love you back.

#1941042 - 08/11/12 08:32 PM Re: Death of a Piano - Landfill Pianos [Re: Piano World]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

I teared up (just a little) watching this.
The worse part was when the skidsteer crushed them with its claw.

#1941092 - 08/11/12 10:49 PM Re: Death of a Piano - Landfill Pianos [Re: Piano World]
j&j Offline

Loc: Southwest
Thank you Frank for posting those links.

And my piano loves me! grin
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." Pablo Picasso

#1942522 - 08/14/12 12:06 PM Re: Death of a Piano - Landfill Pianos [Re: BoseEric]
analogdino Offline

Loc: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada
"Kids get discouraged playing on pieces of junk and never continue..." Thanks, BoseEric. It happened to me. 50 years later I restarted, this time on a perfectly in-pitch instrument (electronic)... still struggling!
Cheers, Roger.

#1942628 - 08/14/12 03:26 PM Re: Death of a Piano - Landfill Pianos [Re: Piano World]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
That was hard to watch. frown

#1946652 - 08/21/12 12:25 PM Re: Death of a Piano - Landfill Pianos [Re: Colin Dunn]
Goof Offline

Loc: UK
I'm 5'11" tall and 56" would allow me rest an arm at right angles along the top of said piano. Am I coorect that the castors are included in the height of the upright ?

#1946885 - 08/21/12 08:24 PM Re: Death of a Piano - Landfill Pianos [Re: Piano World]
joevandyk Offline

My wife's parents are offering us their piano for free. It was bought used in the 1980s, but they aren't sure when it was made. It's a Munn upright grand. It hasn't really been played or tuned in years.

It would be for our young kids to learn to play.

Do you guys think it would be worth it to pay the moving and tuning expenses? Or should we get something different for them to learn the basics on?

#1949478 - 08/26/12 05:14 PM Re: Death of a Piano - Landfill Pianos [Re: James Scott]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: James Scott
But the cold, hard facts are these: Most people will never ever in a million years be able to buy a "new" piano, so junk is all they'll ever be able to get (if they could even afford that). So better to have something that undoubtedly will never meet the standards of some of the more affluent on this forum (you know who you are) than to have nothing at all, I say. For most of us, it will always be a choice of getting back and forth to work, getting our kids to school, and still being able to afford a crust of stale bread, or getting a piano. Obviously, the former will always win out over the latter.

Absolutely agree. It does seem like many people here are quite disconnected from the reality of "most people" and the trade offs that they/we need to make. Sure there are people with flat screen HDTVs, Bose radios, and cars that cost $30K who also have a lousy piano for there kids. For every one of those there are many many more who literally struggle to make ends meet and are a vehicle breakdown or an illness away from very tough financial straits.

Others of us aren't in quite that bad shape, but still have to make tough choices about priorities and would need to make substantial sacrifices (not just forgoing luxuries) to afford a new or very high quality used piano (thinking $5K+ here). As a result a lot of people are doing the digital route, which is of course way more affordable.

Looking carefully at the video, I only saw two different grands, but there were an awful lot more spinets. Not coincidence I'm sure! Wound't surpise me a bit if there were a 10:1 ratio between them getting junked over the long term.

I only have a spinet, which I suppose would be "junk" to most people, but after playing several other pieces of junk recently that were truly atrocious, I've come to appreciate that my spinet actually is not bad at all and has pretty good action and voicing (for a spinet). It is horrendously out of tune and painful to listen to, but eventually I'll make some sacrifice to have it tuned. Would I trade it for a digital? Not on your life.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2265041 - 04/21/14 06:29 PM Re: Death of a Piano - Landfill Pianos [Re: Jeff Clef]
HomeyCat Offline

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef
I believe the minister of music is quite correct in his experience that many people wish to unload worthless termite colonies on the church which should go to the recycler (does that hurt a little less than saying "to the dump"?) for a large write-off.

I've often said "Church basements are where old pianos go to Decompose" smirk

LOL

#2265151 - 04/22/14 12:26 AM Re: Death of a Piano - Landfill Pianos [Re: Norbert]
PhilipInChina Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: China
I have heard this but never seen any evidence of it, here, in China.

People may be surprised to learn that there actually is a very lucrative, if "quiet" market out there restoring and shipping golden oldies to China.

Norbert

#2265919 - 04/23/14 04:15 PM Re: Death of a Piano - Landfill Pianos [Re: PhilipInChina]
Jean Claude Offline

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: PhilipInChina
I have heard this but never seen any evidence of it, here, in China.

Norbert

Mind you, China is really big and things may go on without your noticing.

#2265948 - 04/23/14 05:31 PM Re: Death of a Piano - Landfill Pianos [Re: Piano World]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
That was painful to watch.

I haven't read all the replies, but from the top of my head, I can think of a solution for the pianos: Recycle them properly. The metal parts surely can be used for something else. And the wood could be used for furniture, or at least firewood.

EDIT: Just discovered that this is an old thread.

Edited by patH (04/23/14 05:31 PM)

#2266013 - 04/23/14 07:32 PM Re: Death of a Piano - Landfill Pianos [Re: Piano World]
MLFLY Offline

If I can offer my viewpoint, I have a 1911 Schmoller & Mueller. A fortune was spent refurbishing it in 1982. The owner learned on it and it then was stored for a long time. I got it at a fair price (free) smile.

I've played guitar (including classical) most of my adult life. I've enjoyed this piano and can play short classical pieces, some pop and movie tunes. It does enough for me and has me playing an instrument I probably wouldn't play if not for this piano.

I understand that the refurbishment quality and price - LOL - have a lot to do with it, but it's enjoyable and I'm glad I have it.

Mike

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
Today at 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
Today at 02:37 AM
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
Yesterday at 07:58 PM
Who's Online
116 registered (ando, anotherscott, ajames, anamnesis, AndresD, 31 invisible), 1439 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158395 Topics
2325981 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission