2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
Hi All,

Though I've been signed up to PW for a while, I haven't really started seriously (meaning regularly) learning to play until about a month ago (after finding a 90% off sheet music sale at a local store -- couldn't pass that up). I've been following this forum more regularly since and learned a lot. Thanks to all of you wonderful contributors sharing your knowledge and experiences!

So I purchased a new clavinova a month ago and took my first RCM (prep A) exam yesterday. The examiner mentioned I was well on my way, but my personal experience was "mortifying." The exam piano was a vintage Steinway and the key action felt like a different world... far more difficult to control the dynamics, especially at low levels. In fact, in one of the Kabalevsky pieces, my left hand harmony completely dropped out for a measure because my "delicate pianissimo" effort resulted in "zeronissimo" sound(!)

So what to do...

1) Go back to the dealer and trade in (up) to an acoustic with a satisfying sound I can hopefully afford -- he'll give 100% credit back for the digital.
2) Accept that I'm in my late 40's and so it doesn't matter if I can never play well on someone else's real piano, and just be content with the nice sound of my digital at home.
3) Believe that the examiner's Steinway was especially poorly regulated because other acoustic grands in the store I've tested (even other Steinways) felt so much better, and therefore, try a different examination center next time for the chance of facing an "easier" piano.
4) Just forget about pursuing examinations as a grade level measuring milestone.
5) Wait until lessons begin this Fall with a teacher to find out what her instrument is like and what she feels about it?

So, I'm curious what option others would pursue? I'm also interested in hearing what more seasoned players are experiencing with regards to dynamic range when moving from piano to piano (outside of their own) and how it affects their playing, even amongst different acoustics? I mean, does it ever get so bad that in some cases the sound doesn't even come out in quiet passages, or is it just something that beginners go through because of poor technique?

Thanks so much everyone.

Andy

Last edited by luvmusik; 07/30/12 06:29 PM.
C
C
Digital v. Acoustic is a hot topic here. I think most here would agree that there really is no substitute for an acoustic piano. But there are arguments for having a digital, too--you can play them with earphones, they are a little more versatile in that they can mimic other instruments, less costly, more portable.

Me personally, I don't think I could live without my acoustic piano. A digital just doesn't come close to emulating a real, breathing instrument. But, I'm not really interested in mimicking other sounds, or carrying the piano around with me, or playing with earphones on. So there's really no reason for me to get a digital.

So, as to question no. 1, it's a personal decision that you'll have to make based on what you want out of the piano, how much you're willing to spend, and how much you can afford.

2. I don't think you should just accept that it's too late, and you might as well give up on sounding good on someone's piano. One of the reason's I play (not the only reason) is to play for other people. I love going over to someone's house and playing something on that piano. I do remember a time when I couldn't do that very well. I had to have my piano, and if the action was off on another, or it was out of tune, or if it just didn't sound like mine, I played really poorly. The way I got over this (kind of, sometimes it's still a problem) is just to play on as many pianos as I could. The more you play on a variety of instruments, the more accustomed you get to different actions, sounds, etc.

3. Can't help you there. I don't know how your piano was regulated.

4. If examinations motivate you, I say go for it. Anything that motivates you to get better at piano is a good thing in my opinion. I also think it's good to challenge yourself to play in a test-like environment. This helps with playing in front of other people.

5. Teacher's can help you pick out a good piano, if that's what you're asking. Personally, I would just go to piano stores and try different pianos until you find one that you like within your price range. It's you that has to play, not the teacher. Ask a lot of questions and do a lot of research before you buy. Make sure you get a piano that you will be satisfied with.

" I wish you music to help with the burdens of life, and to help you release your happiness to others."

--Ludwig van Beethoven
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Options, options, options...

First off, I think it is good to have both an AP and a DP for different reasons. In your case I think that you are so new to piano and show such a skill already that the best for you right now is just to wait until you have more experience of different APs and then decide what is best for you. Go to stores and play what is on the floor. I am sure that with time it will become obvious what you prefer the most when it comes to different actions, sound, and DPs vs APs.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yep, I'm on the acoustic band wagon but recently I have had to use a digital for rehearsing and the biggest problem that I could possibly foresee is that I don't really see how you can develop a touch on a digital. Yes, I know they have touch but it is not the same. Also , I do believe that my years spent practicing on an acoustic help me to avoid physical problems that I think you can develop on a digital. Maybe not, maybe it's just me.

rada

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Both types of piano have a place. I have a decent digital for silent practice and 61- and 49-key boards that I sometimes take on business trips

If you like to play classical music, you may decide eventually that you want an acoustic.

I agree with others above that you should play as many acoustics as you can, taking your time to decide among them. Doing that will also make lesson or exam pianos seem less foreign.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I indulged myself with a new kawai grand piano before restarting lesson again. Before that I had digital pianos for over 10 years. What I find when switching to acoustic piano is that there was lack of touch sensitivity in my playing and having trouble playing forte. On the other hand, I was brilliant playing pianissimo :-)

My teacher uses an old grand piano for lesson and the key sensitivity level is very low compared to my kawai. It is also a lot less "springy". I always struggle during lessons and keep forgetting to reduce my physical effort by half and be more touch sensitive (more finger and hand weights and less arm weight).

So I guess what my 2 cents are:
- if you decided to stick with digital pianos for now, adjust the volume so that is approximate the weight-dynamic level of an acoustic piano, and
- be mindful that even if you have an acoustic piano, chances are you'll need to develop different level of touch sensitivities and adjust accordingly.

I am also in favour of an acoustic piano if you can afford it because digital pianos don't train your listening because of it's lack of tone colours and resonance, only playing actions. Once you are accomplished in techniques and musicality, your ears are the the factor that distinguish you between a good and bad pianist.

Good luck!

Be yourself

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
First of all congratulations for making the effort of taking the RCM exam. In terms of hoping to get an easier piano in other exam centers, that's not really possible, since you have the easiest piano there is, so all acoustic pianos would seem harder.

The problem is that in order to produce pianissimo, you must press the key very smoothly in one continuous motion all the way down to the bottom of the keybed with no hesitation, yet producing a very soft sound. The reason you got zeronissimo is because of tension and hesitation.

Digital pianos do seem to be very forgiving in the way they produce a soft sound, pretty much impossible to mess up. It is easy to produce a bad tone on an acoustic piano or no tone at all. It's not that you should play a digital with bad technique, but you could get away with it.

W
W
Digitals have no where near the touch or nuance of an acoustic piano. You are playing through electric vs real hammers and strings.

However they are very affordable compared to an acoustic and good ones mimic the action close enough.

The biggest advantage is plugging in headphones and not disturbing anyone!! So you can play late night to your heart's content.

A friend just gave me his Yamaha P80 and I was messing around recording the different features. How's it sound?

Grand piano solo: https://www.box.com/s/12d9e25f6a88ba0393d2

Jazz, bass/drums left hand, piano right: https://www.box.com/s/a61d054d8469e9cf917f

Electric: https://www.box.com/s/95e814d6046cd1c7fda6

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Digitals have come a long way. You can get a very impressive digital for a similar price to an upright. However, what you won't get is the action of a top-end grand piano. So, you have to decide what you can afford, and depending on your living situation, what your neighbors are willing to tolerate.

Nothing can replace the action of a great grand piano. If you can afford it, and your neighbors won't torch your place, get one. Period. But if you have other considerations, digitals have come a long way.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
A
A
One thing about digitals is that you can practice Fur Elise like the whole day and night with headphones without your partner ever getting annoyed on your 500th repeat of the first few bars.

I used to live in a apartment where above us was a family with acoustic piano. I just hated it when the girls practiced this tune every single day and with no progress. Oh How I wished she would at least get to the fifth bar... but we moved laugh

Serously, if you are even little shy about your practice, this can have huge effect on your results. If you keep your practice private with headphones on you have better chance of evolving and progressing.

Few weeks ago I got a chance to play acoustic piano at work. I instantly tried to locate the volume nob. Acoustic pianos can be loud laugh

Now one thing about digitals is that you want one with the best possible touch. I now am looking for a piano that has way better key action than my current one (Korg SP-170) because I feel like the poor action on this piano is preventing me to progress. It was fun piano in the beginning, but now it just kills my motivation.

Last edited by Artur Gajewski; 07/31/12 03:15 AM.

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Chopin - Waltz in A minor
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by rada
Yep, I'm on the acoustic band wagon but recently I have had to use a digital for rehearsing and the biggest problem that I could possibly foresee is that I don't really see how you can develop a touch on a digital. Yes, I know they have touch but it is not the same. Also , I do believe that my years spent practicing on an acoustic help me to avoid physical problems that I think you can develop on a digital. Maybe not, maybe it's just me.

rada

I actually have a harder and possibly more rewarding time working on "touch" with my digital piano when it comes to stringing large arpeggios, for example. While I can go from playing with my delicate and careful touch on my digital to my acoustic relatively easily, I simply cannot do the inverse - though in all fairness the action on my old acoustic is likely out of tune to some degree (though if memory serves, it can still manage repeated notes decent!)

edit: memory doesn't serve. Note to self: find a tuner!

Last edited by Bobpickle; 07/31/12 05:36 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
One, obvious, thing to keep in mind here; not all DPs and APs are the same. The price and performance range for both APs and DPs is huge! A friend of mine has an old AP that has been neglected for very long. I tried it once for fun and... well, let me say that I did not enjoy it a bit... Not very good for learning...

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Top professionals generally have the luxury of having a piano prepped to their requirements, so the transition from piano to piano is reduced. We mere strugglers have to spend some time playing a piano new to us before getting back to the performance we are looking for or playing before others because, yes, there is a great variation from AP to AP. One common adjustment is in the balance between bass and treble - do I have to play the top line louder or softer, the bass line ditto? I have on many occasions pointed out to string and woodwind etc players how fortunate they are in being able to play their own instrument wherever they go, but they are not impressed.

L
OP Offline
L
Thank you all for the helpful feedback and tips. It looks like sooner or later I will be gravitating toward an acoustic instrument, since I'm mostly attracted to classical music. I'm looking forward to the journey of learning and discovery.

Originally Posted by Cookie74
The more you play on a variety of instruments, the more accustomed you get to different actions, sounds, etc.
Thanks Cookie74 for your detailed feedback. This bit of advice in particular I think will help a lot, not just for gaining experience but also for shopping for an acoustic that I may one day bring home.

Originally Posted by Amaruk
...wait until you have more experience of different APs and then decide what is best for you
Yes, especially considering the price of some of those grand pianos (gulp)

Originally Posted by Rada
...I know they have touch but it is not the same.
The only "digital" I found worth mentioning in terms of touch is the Avant Grand by Yamaha. But the number of voices and electronic features offered is so pathetically lacking (not even church organs, realistic harpsichords or orchestral midi accompaniment), that I might have as well gone with a used silent acoustic upright at that price level. I just wasn't the customer target for that instrument.

Originally Posted by ClsscLib
I agree with others above that you should play as many acoustics as you can, taking your time to decide among them. Doing that will also make lesson or exam pianos seem less foreign.
I'm looking forward to lots of play time!

Originally Posted by Tubbie0075
What I find when switching to acoustic piano is that there was lack of touch sensitivity in my playing and having trouble playing forte. On the other hand, I was brilliant playing pianissimo :-)
Tubbie0075, thanks for sharing your experience and advice. After the exam, I immediately went back to my digital and sure enough, my low-level playing was extremely forgiving and probably misleading in the long run (when going to acoustic). I was also surprised how much louder the acoustic piano was in the test room (it didn't help for the room to be all hardwood and glass finishes) By the way, impressive playing on your videos!

Originally Posted by 4evrBeginR
In terms of hoping to get an easier piano in other exam centers, that's not really possible, since you have the easiest piano there is, so all acoustic pianos would seem harder.
Definitely some food for thought here.

Originally Posted by WiZeM@N
The biggest advantage is plugging in headphones and not disturbing anyone!!
Unfortunately that was the main reason (necessity) for picking the electronic unit at this time, even if my family assured me they wouldn't mind hearing me practice endless scales every night after they've gone to bed. Yeah. Right. By the way, your P80 sounds like a 9ft grand! Gotta love the price though.

Originally Posted by Derulux
Nothing can replace the action of a great grand piano. If you can afford it, and your neighbors won't torch your place, get one.
Indeed, I fear where the leftover fireworks will end up landing :-) I'm beginning to lean in the direction of an acoustic with silent feature. Actually, I really like the disklavier technology but, wow, the prices! Used ones don't seem to come up on the market often in my area either. The other option is to go with another brand of acoustic and hope the pianodisc installers don't mess it up. But it all boils down to budget ultimately as well.

Originally Posted by Artur Gajewski
Few weeks ago I got a chance to play acoustic piano at work. I instantly tried to locate the volume nob.
Yes, it's bad enough that I have to play Aura Lee for all my neighbors across the bay to hear, let alone with the "knob" turned up to 11 :-)

Originally Posted by Bobpickle
edit: memory doesn't serve. Note to self: find a tuner!
No worries... memory is never lost. You just have to remember where to find it.

Originally Posted by Sandalholme
I have on many occasions pointed out to string and woodwind etc players how fortunate they are in being able to play their own instrument wherever they go, but they are not impressed.
When I briefly played clarinet in High School, I used to be so envious of the piano players who could just sit at any piano and have a nice sound come out by simply hitting a key (or so I thought), while I opened my case and hoped my temperamental reeds were not going to have a bad mood day.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission