2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1935065 07/31/12 12:20 AM
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

Read story here.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I don't find that depressing. I find it depressing to watch a kid unable to learn or practice because their piano needs to be dumped and replaced but the parents won't accept it, or can't afford to do anything. It's depressing to watch a poor family fork out to have a free piano-like carcass delivered up the stairs to their 6th floor flat, and for them not to be able to afford to have a tuner come and declare the piano dead.

That's depressing.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
To me, it's not an either/or situation, but both!

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
We are all passing through this life. People. And our pianos.

If it's an old piano that has been well loved and played, then it lived a full life. Parting is sad, but not depressing.

Under the topic of sad piano stories: My mother told me her dad obtained a used grand piano when she was a girl. But after a while they noticed the floor was sagging a bit under the weight. So her brothers moved the piano out to a barn. And they were all surprised to find it soon was destroyed under these conditions. frown

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky
If it's an old piano that has been well loved and played, then it lived a full life. Parting is sad, but not depressing.

It seems the English I learned in the "old days" is different than the English they are teaching today.

depressing = /dɪˈprɛs/ Show Spelled[dih-pres] Show IPA. verb (used with object). 1. to make sad or gloomy; lower in spirits; deject; dispirit. 2. to lower in force, vigor, activity,....

nit·pick (ntpk)
intr.v. nit·picked, nit·pick·ing, nit·picks
To be concerned with or find fault with insignificant details.

LOL!

Piano lessons in Binghamton, Vestal, Endicott, and other areas of upstate NY. Specializing in homeschool piano lessons.
www.binghamtonpianolessons.com
Member: MTNA, NYSMTA

White Rabbit - 60's, 70's & 80's classic rock, southern rock and blues rock band - Binghamton, NY.
www.thewhiterabbitband.com
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
On the one hand we have pianos that might still be decent being dumped because the "have" owners don't want them anymore. On the other hand we have the poor families described by Ten Left Thumbs who need a decent piano but can't afford one. The image of waste and destruction by the affluent who have more than they need, juxtaposed by need and inaccessibility because of poverty, is disturbing and it goes beyond pianos. The destruction of a functioning musical instrument is sad. The society side is also sad.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BinghamtonPiano
nit·pick (ntpk)

LOL!

Uh, if you find this topic insignificant - the decline of pianos, players and teachers, perhaps you're in the wrong vocation. Nothing to laugh about.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook

It seems the English I learned in the "old days" is different than the English they are teaching today.

depressing = /dɪˈprɛs/ Show Spelled[dih-pres] Show IPA. verb (used with object). 1. to make sad or gloomy; lower in spirits; deject; dispirit. 2. to lower in force, vigor, activity,....

You've given me the opportunity to use my English Oxford Dictionary:
sad: unhappy
depressed: a. dispirited or miserable. b. suffering from depression

I see a difference in the degree of feeling. If I find something disappointing, I may feel sad. If I find something depressing, maybe I can't get out of bed because it's not worth the effort.

Edit: Your use of the word "depressing" is fine, although different from how I use the word. I apologize for sounding as though I was correcting your use of the word depressing. I was just giving my impression of the piano story off the top of my head.

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 07/31/12 01:17 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Ann, being older, I've watched/experienced the decline of musical arts, in the USA in particular, in a big way. Not just piano playing. The arts aren't the only area of American life where the "old way" has been supplanted through progress, or at least in the name of progress. If you want to be technical, no, it doesn't rise to the definition of clinical depression, but sad seems a bit superficial and understated. There must be a better word. I need a larger vocabulary!

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Hmm...

One member expresses a feeling, a visceral response to seeing old pianos discarded, chopped up, burnt, destroyed.

Then several people come in and ANALYZE those feelings.

That seems like a strange response. frown

I have two thoughts, opposite:

1) I have had to play on pianos that I WISHED would be burnt, and frankly now and then some of my students are playing on them, at home - right now.

2) My home was destroyed in a terrible fire, including my grand, which was cinder. I gave up playing for about five years after that.

So that was not a happy picture for me either, John.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Ann, being older, I've watched/experienced the decline of musical arts, in the USA in particular, in a big way. Not just piano playing. The arts aren't the only area of American life where the "old way" has been supplanted through progress, or at least in the name of progress. If you want to be technical, no, it doesn't rise to the definition of clinical depression, but sad seems a bit superficial and understated. There must be a better word. I need a larger vocabulary!

"Dismayed" perhaps?

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
I find it depressing that there is more discussion about the mearning of "depression" than anything else. laugh

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Gary D.
Hmm...

One member expresses a feeling, a visceral response to seeing old pianos discarded, chopped up, burnt, destroyed.

Then several people come in and ANALYZE those feelings.

John simply said "This is depressing". And a couple of us said we didn't find it all that depressing. And then we explored what we mean by the word depressing. We did not analyze the OP's feelings. We expressed our own feelings which happened to differ from John's. [Linked Image]

I'm just saying pianos have a lifespan. Yet I admit that we'd probably feel better if we put them in an individual grave with a headstone labeling their make, model, serial number and "the beloved piano of the John Smith family".

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 07/31/12 05:30 PM.
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O

I was not accepting the discarding of pianos as proof of decline of the arts. I was not being "technical". No one would have taken no offense if I'd written "IMO" after stating my opinion. I'll try to remember it next time.

I was born in 1962. There was little public school arts education then (in my educational experience) and that continues today IMO. But I can afford a better piano than my parents could. And teaching has greatly improved since the 60's and 70's IMO.

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 07/31/12 05:42 PM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I do think it is sad, but I did see a resource for free piano adoptions. I looked in my area and it might be feasible (it is still a cost to have one inspected, delivered, repaired and tuned) when the time comes.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I was not accepting the discarding of pianos as proof of decline of the arts. I was not being "technical". No one would have taken no offense if I'd written "IMO" after stating my opinion. I'll try to remember it next time.

Ann, you're correct, it's not proof, it's just another nail in the coffin. And, FWIW, I didn't take offense at your statement and those of others. I simply was amazed that there are piano teachers who are not as emotionally invested in their instruments as I apparently am. I studied violin all through high school, and have similar feelings about that instrument. There are, however, some instruments in the brass and woodwind families which I would volunteer to run the crushing machine!

nit·pick (ntpk)

LOL!

Uh, if you find this topic insignificant - the decline of pianos, players and teachers, perhaps you're in the wrong vocation. Nothing to laugh about.

No, John, it was your correction of Ann's choice of words that I found nitpicky.
I take my teaching very seriously, and I resent your insinuation that I am "in the wrong vocation". I realize not everyone can be as perfect as you, but if that means becoming a pompous, arrogant windbag, then I'll pass.
Thanks.

Piano lessons in Binghamton, Vestal, Endicott, and other areas of upstate NY. Specializing in homeschool piano lessons.
www.binghamtonpianolessons.com
Member: MTNA, NYSMTA

White Rabbit - 60's, 70's & 80's classic rock, southern rock and blues rock band - Binghamton, NY.
www.thewhiterabbitband.com
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
No, John, it was your correction of Ann's choice of words that I found nitpicky.

I would help if you'd said so. Correct word usage is important in written communications, otherwise misunderstandings develop.

I take my teaching very seriously, and I resent your insinuation that I am "in the wrong vocation". I realize not everyone can be as perfect as you, but if that means becoming a pompous, arrogant windbag, then I'll pass.

I'll work on being more succinct; can you work on not taking people's comments out of context?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I simply was amazed that there are piano teachers who are not as emotionally invested in their instruments as I apparently am.

Really? Don't get me wrong, I am emotionally invested in pianos. I don't like to see them die, but I do realise, like any piece of machinery (and that's what it is, not like a violin), there will come a point where is it makes more economic sense to replace than to repair. I don't like it, but I've seen too many kids suffer on pianos that need to be chucked...

My tuner told the story a guy he used to work for, in rural Yorkshire, used to pay customers £20 for an ex-piano. Why? Where he worked, travel to a new customer was a significant cost. So he would be called out to some farmhouse in the sticks, to find some ruined old rusty thing with loose pins and a broken sound board. He would tell the customer the piano was beyond repair and leave. No work, no fee. Six months later, he would be called out to anther farmhouse out in the sticks, to find, guess what? the same rusty old thing.

So after a while, he worked out that no one was listening when he told them the piano was worthless, they were selling it on to neighbours. Then he decided he would just say, "look it's not a good piano, it will take a lot to repair, and I'll need it in my workshop. I'll give you £20 for it". Then he would load it onto his van, take it home and use it for firewood. Apparently, they burn well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission