Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1935926 - 08/01/12 04:34 PM Chopin - Nocturne in E minor - Take 2
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Here is my second take on this beautiful nocturne (op. 72 no. 1). I've tried to incorporate some of the suggestions received from PW members.

I'm still working on not knocking the thumb in the LH (sadly, it's more noticeable at this new, slower tempo). I'm not totally comfortable with the slower tempo yet -- it'll take a little longer for it to settle with me.

I'd appreciate any suggestions -- hopefully this is an improvement over my last take! I have a lesson this evening, so we'll see what my teacher thinks smile.

Thanks Cinnamonbear for the recording suggestions -- let me know if this one sounds any better.

https://www.box.com/s/1329493b11c2ec8515e1

#1935968 - 08/01/12 05:55 PM Re: Chopin - Nocturne in E minor - Take 2 [Re: LadyChen]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well, my immediate reaction is that your second take is quite frankly "night-and-day" better than your first. The "distancing" of the sound did indeed help; but also, I thought this performance was much more "grounded" than the first; less underlining of details, which tended to distract throughout in the first take, and more emphasis on the overarching musical line. I thought you achieved the stasis of the pulse in the left hand wonderfully, and that for me is the crux of the piece: the tension between the passion of the right hand which wants to change in the worst way and the left hand, which consistently counters in "letting it be". A very successful effort, and thanks for sharing!

#1936123 - 08/01/12 11:55 PM Re: Chopin - Nocturne in E minor - Take 2 [Re: LadyChen]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
What Tim said. Plus, this demonstration underscores what I said the first time--that this piece is ripe for exploration from you, and will just keep getting better and better as you get to know it more and mess around with it. What this post proves to me is how well you can play!

Thanks for posting it! Nicely done!

--Andy

#1936129 - 08/02/12 12:13 AM Re: Chopin - Nocturne in E minor - Take 2 [Re: Tim Adrianson]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Tim Adrianson
...the crux of the piece: the tension between the passion of the right hand which wants to change in the worst way and the left hand, which consistently counters in "letting it be".

Ooooo I love that, and I'm stealing it wink.

Unfortunately, we didn't get to the Chopin at my lesson today -- my rep list is a mile long right now because I'm preparing for a pedagogy exam this month. But my teacher did mention that it sounded like I worked extra hard this week. yippie

#1936149 - 08/02/12 01:07 AM Re: Chopin - Nocturne in E minor - Take 2 [Re: LadyChen]
PianogrlNW Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
That was a huge improvement. Really like the slower tempo. Your RH in the 2nd half of the piece sings and is beautiful. Try to give more of that singing tone to the first half of the piece.

#1936150 - 08/02/12 01:18 AM Re: Chopin - Nocturne in E minor - Take 2 [Re: LadyChen]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
What did you use to record with?

#1936152 - 08/02/12 01:23 AM Re: Chopin - Nocturne in E minor - Take 2 [Re: LadyChen]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA

#1937135 - 08/04/12 12:01 AM Re: Chopin - Nocturne in E minor - Take 2 [Re: LadyChen]
Playagain Offline

Very pretty! I really enjoyed your recording! My teacher assigned this piece to me very recently, and the tips you received are helping me so much, too. Thanks for posting!
Kathy

#1937151 - 08/04/12 01:17 AM Re: Chopin - Nocturne in E minor - Take 2 [Re: JoelW]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mazurkajoe

This was recorded with an Roland R-05.

#1937257 - 08/04/12 10:45 AM Re: Chopin - Nocturne in E minor - Take 2 [Re: Playagain]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Playagain
Very pretty! I really enjoyed your recording! My teacher assigned this piece to me very recently, and the tips you received are helping me so much, too. Thanks for posting!
Kathy

That is one of the things I love so much about Piano World! It's like a giant study group. thumb

#1937303 - 08/04/12 12:59 PM Re: Chopin - Nocturne in E minor - Take 2 [Re: LadyChen]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

It's a very awesome study group.

I played this nocturne for my teacher this morning (we didn't get to it at my lesson on Wednesday) and she was .. speechless. (And this is after I got a thorough lecture about my Bach and Haydn lol) She said "What did you do last week??" I told her about PW and she said,"You better get them to listen to all your other pieces too." crazy Oh, kill me now.

#1937361 - 08/04/12 03:30 PM Re: Chopin - Nocturne in E minor - Take 2 [Re: LadyChen]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: LadyChen
It's a very awesome study group.

I played this nocturne for my teacher this morning (we didn't get to it at my lesson on Wednesday) and she was .. speechless. (And this is after I got a thorough lecture about my Bach and Haydn lol) She said "What did you do last week??" I told her about PW and she said,"You better get them to listen to all your other pieces too." crazy Oh, kill me now.

LOL! laugh That is awesome and funny at the same time!!! You are really in for it, now!!! grin

#1937412 - 08/04/12 06:44 PM Re: Chopin - Nocturne in E minor - Take 2 [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Playagain Offline

Andy, it is--it's great! I am always learning something new. smile
LadyChen, so wonderful that your teacher was speechless!
Kathy

#1937414 - 08/04/12 06:49 PM Re: Chopin - Nocturne in E minor - Take 2 [Re: Playagain]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Playagain
Andy, it is--it's great! I am always learning something new. smile
LadyChen, so wonderful that your teacher was speechless!
Kathy

Yes! And, I want to hear Lady Chen's piano teacher on PW, too! And, I want to know what Lady Chen's relationship to her piano teacher is, such that she gets an extra hearing on a Sat. morning! grin Ha-ha!

And, Lady Chen, I hope your Piano Teacher investigates PW! smile

#1937513 - 08/04/12 09:46 PM Re: Chopin - Nocturne in E minor - Take 2 [Re: LadyChen]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Haha, she avoids the internet like the plague. I'll tell her about things I find on the internet, like out-of-print books, and she gives me her credit card so I can order them for her!

She was my teacher as a kid, and now that I've returned to her as an adult, she has been a friend, mentor, teacher all-in-one. And I'm free to come practice on her Steinway whenever I want. yippie I have two pedagogy exams this month, so I'm there a lot! And it gives my husband a break from the constant practicing.

I'm going to try and post recordings of my P&F and Haydn Sonata next week -- they are the other two that need work.

#1937804 - 08/05/12 04:36 PM Re: Chopin - Nocturne in E minor - Take 2 [Re: LadyChen]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

That is truly beautiful! Thanks for sharing that story Lady Chen! You are very fortunate! thumb

#1946852 - 08/21/12 07:28 PM Re: Chopin - Nocturne in E minor - Take 2 [Re: LadyChen]
Michael Forbes Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Hauntingly beautiful, LadyChen.

I do not possess the experience or finesse to technically analyze your performance...except to say that to this relatively untrained ear, it was lovely.

Edited by Michael Forbes (08/21/12 07:29 PM)

http://soundcloud.com/michael-forbes-5

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Marche Funèbre d'une Marionette
by Minnesota Marty
09/21/14 10:09 AM
Tired and groggy
by PhilipInChina
09/21/14 08:26 AM
Digital piano key noise
by bigsmile
09/21/14 03:15 AM
Hans von Bulow's piano
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:57 AM
Rubinstein teaching style
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:52 AM
Who's Online
151 registered (accordeur, alfredo capurso, A Guy, 41 invisible), 1452 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157665 Topics
2315875 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission