2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well mines in at #6. I was going to submit the Metallica tune I've been working on but it's not ready as I decided to go a different way with the piece at the last minute. So I went with the Paul Stookey tune instead. Cover version of course.

Now all this talk about 'top spot' placement makes me think that maybe the very top spots should be reserved for anyone who really has a stellar performance in store or has reached some sort of performance milestone.

Just a thought.

I know in the past that certain performances of mine were just okay and I wouldn't mind being further down the list while others I tried to get into the upper spots.

It seems a lot of skipping around is done to almost make the top submissions seem irrelevant anyway. Plus, everyone has there favorites and wouldn't miss them no matter what order the submission. Still, the top spots could have some special meaning associated with them. Sort of like "employee of the month parking" in a way.

Any thoughts?

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
"employee of the month parking" - I knew I was missing out by being a contractor frown

I've never figured out the "in at #1" stuff for those who are serious about it. I mean, as a joke, I understand - calling "neener neener" to the rest of us - that makes sense laugh But to actually care? I don't get it.

The only thing it does for those who care, as far as I can tell, is get most of their reviews in in the first week or so. But since pretty much everyone gets reviewed a pretty good number of times in the end, and it's fun (to me, anyway) to read the reviews of other people's submissions, well, I can wait.

But I may misunderstand those who care smile But if I'm ever first it'll be neener neener for the next two weeks! laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur
(...)But since pretty much everyone gets reviewed a pretty good number of times in the end (...)

I was thinking about that - a pretty good number - so I did a quick resume of the last recital:
- 26th recital Participants: 50
- Comments: 19 (*)
(*) counting only the comments on my piece.

I think 19/50 is a good number of reviews but I wonder why there isn't more participants doing individual comments. The fact is that everyone gets reviewed but not everyone makes a review.
(I'm not complaining! I know that there are no rules or obligations, and so it should be!)

ABF recitals are a unique experience for me, and most of the improvements I've got came from the work I do for them. So, the order I appear in the list is not important. I just mark the 1st day of each ABF Recital as a deadline to submit my piece. That's why I'm usualy in the front line.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I agree with you CarlosCC, the AFB recitals are a unique experience. The effort to polish a piece enough for a recording to share with others teaches a lot. I also have improved from that experience.

As far as comments go, like many others here, I comment on everyone's submission- but then I am retired so I have the time to do so. Others may not have that luxury of time.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
Well mines in at #6. ... I decided to go a different way with the piece at the last minute. So I went with the Paul Stookey tune instead. Cover version of course.

"There is Love" - Excellent selection Hunky!

Are you doing a vocal version of this? - would really like to hear that - if not, will you include the highly meaningful lyrics in the info section?

There's an old but captivating video of Paul doing this live in concert on YouTube - check it out...
-------------------------------------------------------------

Also noticed that kenjazz is submitting his take on the beautiful and soulful pop tune "A House is Not a Home" - anxious to hear this too - there's a 7 minute version of this on YT by a young Luther Vandross at an awards show...an amazing performance...

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
For me, the comments are nice, but not what the recitals are all about. What is important is the whole process of preparing a piece for performance (against a deadline), overcoming the terror of recording, and battling shyness and the fear of exposure to actually present the piece in a public forum.

The comments, which are overwhelmingly feel good and supportive, are welcome proof that someone actually took the time to listen to my playing.

Like most things in life, it's about the journey, not the destination. It's about all the work that goes on preparing and presenting the music. Having someone listen to and comment on the music is a nice reward, but not the major benefit.

When I do the statistics after the recital goes live, and look at the number of participants and the history of the recital, I am always struck by how fragile it all seems. We are very lucky that it has continued as long as it has with so much success.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, the good thing: I’m in.

The bad thing: I can’t wait to listen to the recital!!! smile

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by BenPiano
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Thanks again, and always to Monica for her efforts and to all the others who have worked and contributed to make these recitals the great success they are!!!

+1 smile

Hear hear - Thank you, Monica!

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur
"employee of the month parking" - I knew I was missing out by being a contractor frown

I've never figured out the "in at #1" stuff for those who are serious about it. I mean, as a joke, I understand - calling "neener neener" to the rest of us - that makes sense laugh But to actually care? I don't get it.

The only thing it does for those who care, as far as I can tell, is get most of their reviews in in the first week or so. But since pretty much everyone gets reviewed a pretty good number of times in the end, and it's fun (to me, anyway) to read the reviews of other people's submissions, well, I can wait.

But I may misunderstand those who care smile But if I'm ever first it'll be neener neener for the next two weeks! laugh

Cathy

I actually make a point of never starting with the first entries. In fact I try to go to some of the last entries first. Of course these days I just can't comment on all of them like I used to... just not enough time to do them all justice and I hate just doing a cursory comment.

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
For me, the comments are nice, but not what the recitals are all about. What is important is the whole process of preparing a piece for performance (against a deadline), overcoming the terror of recording, and battling shyness and the fear of exposure to actually present the piece in a public forum.

The comments, which are overwhelmingly feel good and supportive, are welcome proof that someone actually took the time to listen to my playing.

Like most things in life, it's about the journey, not the destination. It's about all the work that goes on preparing and presenting the music. Having someone listen to and comment on the music is a nice reward, but not the major benefit.

When I do the statistics after the recital goes live, and look at the number of participants and the history of the recital, I am always struck by how fragile it all seems. We are very lucky that it has continued as long as it has with so much success.

Sam

For me, more than anything, the recitals force me to take at least one of the pieces I'm working on seriously. Without them I really don't know if I would be recording myself. The comments are always great too. I feel like I'm part of a like minded family.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn

"There is Love" - Excellent selection Hunky!

Are you doing a vocal version of this? - would really like to hear that - if not, will you include the highly meaningful lyrics in the info section?

There's an old but captivating video of Paul doing this live in concert on YouTube - check it out...[/quote]

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sorry TJ but I know nothing of the background of this tune. I just heard it on the radio and recognized the beauty of the melody. While the lyrics of a song appeal to many, it is the melody of a beautiful piece that appeals to me most.

This 'song' (since it originally had/has words) does have meaningful lyrics but it was the melody that struck me most.

I applied the usual Super Hunky conversion so you will be getting the usual butchered up, solo piano, Readers Digest version only;...NO singing!

Purists will cringe a little but that's okay because deep down I think part of them likes it. I mean why not?, it's cheap entertainment after all.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm literally working triple-time trying to prepare my piece for this recital. With 7 weeks off from lessons earlier this summer, I didn't make a whole lot of progress on it. Then when we finally got back to it, my teacher told me that if I wanted to get it in shape for mid-August I'd have to spend much more of my practice time on it than I had been. So my other pieces are being neglected right now, but I just might have this one ready to record by next weekend.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Just fyi... I'll be out of town until the 11th. I'll be able to check my email on my phone but may not be able to troubleshoot any uploading problems until after I get back. I don't anticipate any difficulties, though, as this is the third time we've done the recital with the new servers and everything is going smoothly so far.

But just in case you're the exception, don't panic. We will get you straightened out. smile

M
M
I'm in but two times ...

Monica, HELP !

Not to worry. I'll delete the duplicate entry when I get home. smile

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I'm in. Wow! It's only the 6th! Usually it's the 14th. So I'll be a little past the middle instead of competing for dead last laugh

How nice it will be not to be in last minute rush. I may try this more often.

Looking forward to seeing the last 30 or so entries and then listening to everyone.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
12. Recaredo (Ricardo) - Piano sonata No 25 Op 79. Second movement. (Ludwig van Beethoven)

I can't wait to hear your interpretation!

I had this movement (recently) on my "next to learn" list. It's still there in the pile on my floor (that's my next to learn list), but it was superseded by more pressing (and easier) material! laugh

A subtle nudge might just bring this to the top of the pile of sheet music once again! smile

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The "Phantom" eek and I are in at No. 36...

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BenPiano
12. Recaredo (Ricardo) - Piano sonata No 25 Op 79. Second movement. (Ludwig van Beethoven)

I can't wait to hear your interpretation!

I had this movement (recently) on my "next to learn" list. It's still there in the pile on my floor (that's my next to learn list), but it was superseded by more pressing (and easier) material! laugh

A subtle nudge might just bring this to the top of the pile of sheet music once again! smile

Hi Ben!

This movement is short, but it moves between drama and epic on a very effective way. I’m sure you’ll enjoy playing it wink .

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
If you start recording, stop after a single measure, start again without pressing stop on the recorder, does it still count as take #1?! wink

Anyway, in at 38 ....

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission