2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,788 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MH1963 Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
I just ran across some of this music and just loved it. Does anyone here play it?
Any recommendations for a book that would not be too difficult?

river runs in you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zodLr_U5F8

time forgets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anicaKGED00

Both are really lovely.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Never heard Time Forgets, but River Flows in You is one of the more popular modern learning pieces for beginning players. I quite enjoy it and will probably pursue playing it one of these days!

edit: I don't have any book recommendations, but the individual sheets could easily be obtained online for free. Otherwise I'm sure they are commercially available in book format through Amazon and what-not

Last edited by Bobpickle; 07/23/12 01:43 AM.
M
MH1963 Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
Yes, I tried Amazon, no luck there. I also found one site that sells digital versions of one of his songs, to download and print, but no luck on any collections.

Download and print isn't really what I want, since the page size would be a little smaller, but if that's all there is, i can live with it. I'd just rather get a collection book if I could.

MH1963

[Linked Image]
G
G
Both are in the book "Yiruma - Piano Album I". Just google Yiruma songbooks, should be easy to find

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Here's one of the books I have, available at Amazon no less. Scroll down and you can see the song list as well. All the titles are in English BTW.

Yiruma Piano Album sheet music

http://www.amazon.com/Yiruma-Piano-...p;sr=8-1&keywords=yiruma+sheet+music

I have another score book but I couldn't find it online, it was published in Japan and may be out of print. Anyway, this one is the better collection.
Good luck!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
I just bought "River Flows in You" at a Hal Leonard workshop. It is in the Hal Leonard Student Piano Library Level 5. It's a 2012 arrangement by Wayne Hawkins. (I like it.)
http://www.halleonard.com/search/search.do?subsiteid=1&keywords=river+flows+in+you

M
MH1963 Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
Thanks!

I located a copy of 'River Flows in You' and i can tell that I'm not quite ready yet.... I think when I can get through the first page, I'll spring for the book mentioned above.

Thank you for pointing me to it!

MH1963

[Linked Image]
Do you think "River flows in you" is easier than "Kiss the rain" ? I am beginner (6 months playing) and would love to learn one of these.
Thanx

Yamaha NP-V80 (sold)
Yamaha DGX640 (sold)
Kawai CL-36
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
River flows in you is beautiful and a perfect moderate piece for beginners to piano. I teach some students this song but it isn't part of a book just the sheet music only, which can be bought from most popular music stores and online at places such as amazon and music room.

B
B
Originally Posted by jarosujo
Do you think "River flows in you" is easier than "Kiss the rain" ? I am beginner (6 months playing) and would love to learn one of these.
Thanx

"Kiss The Rain" is in a harder key. A student of mine who did well with "River.." really struggled with it. YMMV.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Oongawa
Yes, I tried Amazon, no luck there. I also found one site that sells digital versions of one of his songs, to download and print, but no luck on any collections.

Download and print isn't really what I want, since the page size would be a little smaller, but if that's all there is, i can live with it. I'd just rather get a collection book if I could.

For whatever it might be worth, I applaud this!

Originally Posted by samasap
I teach some students this song but it isn't part of a book just the sheet music only, which can be bought from most popular music stores . . .

Ah, at last! A MUSIC STORE. Now, help me remember - Isn’t that sort of a real place, with walls and doors and things. They may not have virtual Shopping Carts, but as I recall they do have proprietors and clerks who can answer your questions “in real time”, and even help you find stuff -- stuff that is already printed and bound, by professionals. A Music Store, where one can browse and see lots and lots of different kinds of music, and where one may encounter other (live) musicians, too. A music store where, when one pays for one’s purchase, part of that money pays those same employees who might have helped you, and part goes to help ensure that, the next time you need music, their door will be open, and their lights will be on.

Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
If someone has that kind of music store available to them, fantastic.

My music store, I tend to know more about the music I want than they do. Then they look it up online anyway to get the numbers they need to put in their order with their distributor (and often I have to point out to them in their online interface which book it is that I want). Then it takes 6 weeks to arrive, when I could have ordered it online and had it arrive in a week.

They rarely have anything I want in stock; almost everything has to be ordered.

I still order from them, because I believe in supporting the local music store. But it's getting harder and harder to put up with ordering music (and yes, I prefer and buy professionally edited and bound books, even for things available free on imslp) from the store rather than buying it online.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
PianoStudent88,

I do not want to take Oongawa’s thread any further off-topic, but I agree with you on all points. First of all, you, in particular, would know more about what you need to order than any clerk. That will be the case regardless of where you are purchasing. But isn’t it truly sad that so many of the remaining music stores have been reduced to the level of Order-Taker? Walmart clerks are everywhere, and their marketing style is becoming pervasive.

Bravissima for sticking with the perceived tediousness of their inventory and ordering system, also a victim of the Global Economy. If a few hundred more folks like us pay attention to where our hard-earned dollars are going, perhaps a few of those stores will be forced to hire-back some of the musicians who used to staff them, and will be able to stock some items in depth -- maybe even a Kabalevsky or two.. All good things.

Ed

M
MH1963 Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
Well, I found the sheet music (not the book) at a local store and bought it. So, I can wrangle my way through it, though it is pretty bad.

I'm really surprised at the note above that says it is 'popular for beginners' - I mean... wow. I don't think I'm exactly a rank beginner but I'm struggling here and if this is a beginner piece I may as well ditch the whole idea. Is that really right? I mean, there are big jumps in it, and tons of 16th notes, grace notes and all sorts of things that trip me up along the way.

So anyway, here's my question. on the 16th notes, as I play this piece through very slowly, I know that I am striking them more than they really should be (based on the recordings I've heard.) So, my 'muscle memory' is going to be all wrong when I ever get this thing up to speed. Sort of in the same way that walking and running both use your feet and legs but they're pretty different movements - if you tried to walk at running speed, it would be very awkward.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this? I can get the notes and i'm trying to speed it up... but it has a long way to go and I think the slow playing of the fast notes is going to cause problems, but I can't play it at speed.

??

MH1963

[Linked Image]
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Patience . . . . . Others here are going to chime in with better specific advice, but, overall, Patience and Practice usually bring results.

Without having seen the score, and just from listening briefly, the harsh reality is that this music IS fairly simple. That means that it will not take you as long to play it credibly as a more complex piece. But it does not diminish the work that will be required.

Play all the notes carefully and clearly. As your execution speed increases, your “muscle memory” will accelerate, and everything will work out just fine!

Bravo for using the local music store!
Patience.
Ed

C
C
I am also learning this piece and I would also be considered a beginner, as I have been playing since late March. I was also intimidated by this piece at first. However, I took it slow and soon muscle memory set in and I found myself easily being able to speed it up. Like LoPresti said, patience. Just take it slow at first, and once you can hit the notes without error, speed it up.

"Kiss The Rain" is in a harder key. A student of mine who did well with "River.." really struggled with it. YMMV.

Hm, I would consider Kiss the rain easier when watching synthesia videos:

Kiss the rain - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jWrVudw92M
River flows in you - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMi22kZHANY

With River flows in you your hands have to move from one side of keyboard to other quite a lot, which is difficult for me (beginner).
I guess I will have to try to find out :-)

Last edited by jarosujo; 08/16/12 11:05 AM.

Yamaha NP-V80 (sold)
Yamaha DGX640 (sold)
Kawai CL-36
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2
M
MH1963 Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
Yes the hand movements are what presents issues for me.

Although I have no problem reading the notes, when I have to move my hands, I have to look down. Then when I look up, I've lost my place in the music.

I've made some marks in the music at the usual problem spots, so that after I look down it is easier to see where I was since there's a mark there. It's not a solution but it's a start.

I tried covering my hands to stop myself from looking more than was really needed since I know some of the glances are just habit. That makes the whole thing really hard.

I know practice makes perfect but wow, I was hoping for more progress than this...

MH1963

[Linked Image]
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Oongawa
I know practice makes perfect but wow, I was hoping for more progress than this...

We all hope for more progress, faster. Our talent and skill level limit us. It is nothing new or unique . . .

M
MH1963 Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
Bummer....

It was out of stock at Amazon for quite a while. Now there is one available but it's $69 plus international shipping.

If you have one you'd like to part with for a reasonable price, please contact me privately. I'd rather have the book than buy the songs individually for download and print.

MH1963

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission