2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,142 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
OP Offline
H
Hi all. I'm new here, trying to decide on a piano purchase. FYI - I last competed (and won - yipee) at a grade 10 level in the 1990's, but have since fallen off the wagon for not having my own piano to practice on.

So, I have the opportunity to buy a newer (around 2005-07 likely) Petrof P125 G1 for between $4-5000. But I've read differing opinions about the quality of Petrof's these days. Some say they sound nice at first but don't last very long, then become tin cans.

Anyone out there have an opinion on this?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Very nice model at a very nice price.

If it feels good under your hands, then it's worth getting it checked out by a technician. Petrofs usually sound great, but some of the actions can present problems. I's a positive sign though if it feels okay to a player at your level.

If you can supply the serial number, someone here will nail down the actual age for you.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The Petrof 125 is the sweetest sounding vertical I have ever played. Very beautiful tone. That sounds like a tremendous price assuming it's in good condition.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
As a general rule, I like the Petrofs very much. I have never heard of a blanket problem with them deteriorating any more than any other brand. Have it checked out and that will give you the best information.

Good Price - I think worth pursuing.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
C
C
I had that model Petrof (bought new in 2009), and traded it in for a grand a few months ago. It was the best vertical I have ever played on, with deep rich bass and treble that sounded like handbells.
I had never had a problem with mine, and got 6 grand as a trade-in value. The dealer promptly sold it for $7500. My opinion (assuming the tone and touch are to your liking) is to run out and buy it right now!

Ignorance is not a point of view.
H
OP Offline
H
Thanks everyone. The serial# is 591073. Likely only a few years old by my estimation.

Yes, the price seems very good (new puchase price was $16,000), but recent home renos have drained my account so I wanted to make sure Petrof still made good pianos (it's been 20 years since I played one).

Someone suggested I look at digital pianos, due to my family situation (can't make noise when kids are sleeping). I'm thinking about a Yamaha NU1, but am wondering if I'd always regret letting that Pertof slip through my fingers.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I think sleeping kids look great in earmuffs. grin

Marty in Minnesota

H
OP Offline
H
Maybe just no Rachmaninoff after 8 pm. I'll stick to Mendelssohn. wink

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Maybe you would be better off sticking with the Two Part Inventions.

The "Hunting Song" from SWW could blow the roof off!

Marty in Minnesota

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HoriwitzFan
Thanks everyone. The serial# is 591073. Likely only a few years old by my estimation.

Yes, the price seems very good (new puchase price was $16,000), but recent home renos have drained my account so I wanted to make sure Petrof still made good pianos (it's been 20 years since I played one).

Someone suggested I look at digital pianos, due to my family situation (can't make noise when kids are sleeping). I'm thinking about a Yamaha NU1, but am wondering if I'd always regret letting that Pertof slip through my fingers.

The serial number confirms your estimation. I would still get it inspected though before purchase.

The choice of a digital or acoustic in your situation is a very personal one. It depends on your comfort level with technology and the layout of your home.

The P125 G1 has a middle pedal that Petrof refers to as a moderator rail. Felt is suspended from the rail and quiets the hammer strike when the pedal is applied and the rail is in place. As practice rails go, Petrof's is okay, but it does affect the feel of the action and the sound produced could still interfere with kids sleeping if their bedroom is nearby. Activating the rail will certainly decrease your enjoyment of the playing experience, but it may be an acceptable compromise to you, especially if you don't need to employ it often.

The NU-1 is a very compact piano (if that's important). It has a Yamaha acoustic upright action stuffed inside. The action feel is good. Yamaha also offers the N-1. Its cabinet is a little unconventional because Yamaha stuffs a grand action into it, so the cabinet requires more depth. It's more expensive.

If you are comfortable wearing headphones while playig, either of these hybrids will give you an enjoyable playing experience. You will not worry about disturbing anyone's sleep. Headphone play also allows your practice sessions to be more self-critical and analytical (if that appeals to you).

The sound sample you will hear from either of these hybrids is from a Yamaha concert grand. It's important that you like that sample because you can't escape it without adding other hardware.

The big advantage of the Petrof (or any good acoustic) is the natural emission of the natural sound. When you can play without volume constraints, you will fully appreciate the lovely tone of the Petrof. The Yamaha NU-1 will transmit a signal rather than emit a sound, and it will transmit that signal through a pair of six-inch speakers. The result will in no way compare with the remarkable sound quality you will get from the same piano through excellent headphones and will in no way compare with the natural sound of the Petrof.

To sum it up, both the Yamaha and the NU-1 excel in their areas of strength. The Petrof's strength is to fill a natural listening environment with beautiful sound. The Yamaha's is to offer a good facsimile of acoustic piano playing in a very small box at a relatively low price. It also has the advantage of interconnectivity (e.g. headphones, direct recording) if that appeals to you.

If it were me, I'd get the Petrof inspected and buy it if it checks out. It's a good long-range solution for a dedicated pianist. I'd also buy a good stage piano in the $1000 or $1500 range and some excellent headphones for silent play. Since advances in digitals and hybrids are coming with a rush these days (the NU-1 was introduced just a few months ago), it might not be prudent to sink your whole piano budget into a current model.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
H
OP Offline
H
Thanks a lot turandot. All good points to consider.

I'd choose the Petrof (or any good acoustic upright for that matter) in a heartbeat if it wasn't for my boys sleeping just down the hallway. There's also a space issue, and controlling humidity.

As far as digitals, I could never bring myself to like them in the past, but haven't tried one for several years. The sound sample from a Yamaha concert grand is enticing. I played Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C sharp Minor. (Op. 3. No 2) at a competition on a 9-foot Yamaha and the sound blew me away.

Getting both doesn't work for my bank account or floor space, so I guess the answer is to test them out. If I settle for the digital, a good acoustic will still be coming once my situation changes.

T
T
Hey, I actually have a Petrof P131.. Amazing piano, incredibly clear and beautiful sound. Petrof has great pianos, I definitely recommend it.

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by TheCorecase
Hey, I actually have a Petrof P131.. Amazing piano, incredibly clear and beautiful sound. Petrof has great pianos, I definitely recommend it.

Thanks for the recommendation.

S
S
It sound like the issue more of a decision between an acoustic and digital pianos. I live in a smaller home (1100 sqf upstairs) and have a 2 and 4 year old that share a bedroom down a hallway from our grand piano, a 5'11". It's our routine that I play a little for them before bed time, then after they go down it's my practice time. I certainly don't blow the roof off and keep my piece choices closer to the schmultzy end of the spectrum, but they both tend to drop right off after a few minutes.

My piano career sounds very similar to your own, having reached Gr 9 RCM then taking a ~ 10 yr hiatus while attending school, starting a family, and "growing up" so to speak. My wife and I had many conversations concerning acoustic vs digital pianos and in the end chose acoustic. This choice has been extremely rewarding for not just myself but for the whole family.

Anywho, just my 0.02.

P.S. I've heard nothing but great things about Petrofs in general, and their grands that I test drove were stunning.

Hailun 178

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission