Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1937459 - 08/04/12 08:08 PM Another Acoustic Convert, Maybe
SirHuddlestonFudd Offline

Loc: Cambridge, MA
Hi All,

I just had a Yamaha P-22 delivered. I'm renting it, partly because I can't afford to buy a piano right now, partly because I wasn't sure whether I'd find an acoustic to be better, rather than just different from, my digital (a Yamaha P-95).

First of all: it's loud! The room it's in is narrow (27x11), and hard surfaced: no rugs, drapes or hangings. But hokey smokes, even taking that into consideration, my neighbors (I'm in a condo) will hear every last thing.

The sound is not as good as the digital. I think the hammers are a bit hard, and it's quite bright, and it's a little upright, compared to a Yamaha C3 grand (or whatever).

However, the action makes up for both of the forgoing shortcomings. It's not a great action, but already I can tell that there will be many more degrees of piano available to me. That's good, because I will spend a lot of time trying not to play forte. I've played a lot of DP actions, and they all seem to have a certain regularity of travel from top to bottom of the keybed, which is different from the acoustic. Maybe the new actions from Roland and/or Kawai, with escapement, will rectify that.

My advice to anybody wanting to take up the piano would be: unless you live in a great big detached house, far from neighbors, buy a good DP. You will need it every day in order to practice. But try to get an acoustic, because you'll need to work on touch, and after an acoustic, most DP's just feel funny.

Anyway, my initial impressions.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1937465 - 08/04/12 08:12 PM Re: Another Acoustic Convert, Maybe [Re: SirHuddlestonFudd]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
A good technician can probably improve the dynamics and the sound of the piano. You may not be able to afford anything beyond tuning now, but at least you have the potential.

#1937506 - 08/04/12 09:31 PM Re: Another Acoustic Convert, Maybe [Re: SirHuddlestonFudd]
j&j Offline

Loc: Southwest
Congratulations on your introduction to acoustic pianos. A thick rug under your P22 might make it sound softer. Use your P22 during the day or early evening and then use your P95 with headphones when neighbors might object. I play my acoustic when my family is doing other things and then use my Privia when they're sitting down watching TV or when I'm up at weird hours.

With practice on your acoustic, your touch and dynamics should improve rapidly. Good Luck.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." Pablo Picasso

#1937507 - 08/04/12 09:33 PM Re: Another Acoustic Convert, Maybe [Re: SirHuddlestonFudd]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
An easy partial fix, and tried and true, is a big puffy comforter, or a quilt, between the piano back and the wall.

Give yourself a few days to adjust to the new sound.

Have lots of fun with your new toy!

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1937534 - 08/04/12 10:54 PM Re: Another Acoustic Convert, Maybe [Re: SirHuddlestonFudd]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
I played an older Yamaha P22 studio upright for the first time at a church a few weeks ago... I was impressed with the tone and touch. It was a tad bright and the bass a little weaker than I'm use to, but a very nice piano nonetheless.

Congratulations on acquiring the P22, even if it is only a rental. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Rick

#1937547 - 08/04/12 11:55 PM Re: Another Acoustic Convert, Maybe [Re: SirHuddlestonFudd]
thetandyman Offline

Loc: Indiana
SirHuddlestonFudd, Many years ago I lived in a highrise in the Chicago area. I had an old upright player piano and TWO very large electronic "Theater" organs. I was so very lucky because my elderly neighbors actually liked hearing the music. Of course, I only played them during the day and early evening. Later in life, I lived in a private house with a 2000 watt Ham radio amplifier. When I used it, nobody could watch TV. My neighbors then didn't like that one bit! Maybe your neighbors will like the piano!
Best, Bill

#1937688 - 08/05/12 11:50 AM Re: Another Acoustic Convert, Maybe [Re: SirHuddlestonFudd]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Hi Sir Huddleston,

Before my mother passed, she lived in a two story apartment building whose residents happend to be elderly. Her apartment contained our family S&S grand. When I visited, her law was layed down that I could not play before 10:00am or after 5:00pm.

While practicing one day, there was a knock at the door. The neighbor from across the hall asked if when I practiced, would I leave our door open? !!! I quickly got into the habit of practicing in the morning, and performing a "mini" recital every evening at 8:00pm. The time was selected by the fellow residents. The hallway doors opened up like clock work. When I finished, you could hear the doors closing, from both floors. I would post the program of the day on the bulletin board in the common laundry.

My mom and I received an endless supply of cakes, cookies, candies ......

Perfectly lovely!

#1937729 - 08/05/12 01:08 PM Re: Another Acoustic Convert, Maybe [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
An easy partial fix, and tried and true, is a big puffy comforter, or a quilt, between the piano back and the wall.

Give yourself a few days to adjust to the new sound.

Have lots of fun with your new toy!

+1

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1938872 - 08/07/12 05:06 PM Re: Another Acoustic Convert, Maybe [Re: Minnesota Marty]
KarelG Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Hi Sir Huddleston,

Before my mother passed, she lived in a two story apartment building whose residents happend to be elderly. Her apartment contained our family S&S grand. When I visited, her law was layed down that I could not play before 10:00am or after 5:00pm.

While practicing one day, there was a knock at the door. The neighbor from across the hall asked if when I practiced, would I leave our door open? !!! I quickly got into the habit of practicing in the morning, and performing a "mini" recital every evening at 8:00pm. The time was selected by the fellow residents. The hallway doors opened up like clock work. When I finished, you could hear the doors closing, from both floors. I would post the program of the day on the bulletin board in the common laundry.

My mom and I received an endless supply of cakes, cookies, candies ......

Perfectly lovely!

Such a nice story! Thanks a lot for it!
Karel

#1938931 - 08/07/12 07:03 PM Re: Another Acoustic Convert, Maybe [Re: KarelG]
Minnesota Marty Offline

With my compliments.

It is one of my fond memories of being with my Mom during her senior years, and from the last months of her life.

#1939193 - 08/08/12 06:41 AM Re: Another Acoustic Convert, Maybe [Re: SirHuddlestonFudd]
Larry Buck Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lowell MA
Voicing can help.

I would caution though, it is the fundamental tone that penetrates the walls not so much the "bright tones" that we might want to lessen to make it more pleasant to play.

One way or the other, playing the piano more softly will help.

What voicing CAN do, is make it more pleasant to play softly when you "play softly" considering the neighbors.

my 2.654 cents (inflation + fuel charge)

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
facebook.com/E. J. Buck & Sons Performances

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
126 registered (Almaviva, anadyr21, AmateurBob, A Guy, Anne'sson, 32 invisible), 1424 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74318 Members
42 Forums
153719 Topics
2253435 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Whole tone scales leading to interesting series of keys
by caters
04/25/14 12:16 AM
Another beginner
by mojoe
04/25/14 12:02 AM
GH1 tuning pin torque
by awyaks
04/24/14 11:38 PM
Will you take Manhattan?
by davefrank
04/24/14 11:31 PM
Growing student
by pianoplayer84
04/24/14 11:19 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission