2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
pjc Offline OP
OP Offline
P
We are in the market to buy a baby grand piano for our 10 year old. We're looking at a Kimball, a Baldwin Hamilton and a Gulbransen. The Kimball is about $1200, the Baldwin and Gulbransen are $1800. If the condition is equal, which is a better piano? Thanks, Pam

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi Pam, and welcome to the Piano World Forums!

You did not mention age, size, or condition... these things play a major role in a pre-owned piano's value/worth.

Personally, I'm partial to the Baldwin, but it still depends on the age, size and condition of the competitors.

The price you mentioned is not a bad price, especially for the Baldwin. Probably wouldn't hurt to have the one you decide upon inspected by a piano tech, just for a little insurance.

Which one do you all like the best?

Good luck, and keep us informed.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
B
BDB Offline
B
If these are grands, it will depend on a number of things, particularly the age, condition, and model. It may be that none of these are great bargains, and you might be better spending a bit more for a better piano.

Semipro Tech
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Grands in this price range in my local ads are usually dusty wrecks from the 60s, 50s, or earlier. Rusty strings, broken key tops, missing cabinetry, etc. etc. If the condition is equal and everything works (keys, pedals, dampers, etc.) then I'd prefer the Baldwin. Get a professional tech to check out your favorite to look for subtle but possibly serious problems.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
The Baldwin is a Baldwin "product" or in other words Hamilton. People love to say Baldwin when the piano is only a Baldwin Product. With the exception of the Hamilton upright, most "Baldwin Products" are inferior to the real Baldwin quality. That being said, I have a "Gibson" Epiphone Les Paul I would like to sell you, heck I'll throw in the London Bridge and some bottom land in South Florida.

Last edited by Pianolance; 06/18/12 12:44 AM.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
Originally Posted by Pianolance
The Baldwin is a Baldwin "product" or in other words Hamilton. People love to say Baldwin when the piano is only a Baldwin Product. With the exception of the Hamilton upright, most "Baldwin Products" are inferior to the real Baldwin quality. That being said, I have a "Gibson" Epiphone Les Paul I would like to sell you, heck I'll throw in the London Bridge and some bottom land in South Florida.

Very true, Lance...

Kind of like saying a Boston or Essex is a Steinway.

I called about a Martin guitar for sale in my area once... I asked the seller what model it was and how old it was. He said it was a Sigma made by Martin, though it was advertised as a Martin. I said, wait just a minute, I thought you said in the ad it was a Martin? He said once again, it is a Martin with the Sigma name on it. I say, okay, thanks anyway.

I'm thinking a Hamilton is closer to being a Baldwin than a Sigma is to being a Martin. laugh

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
G
G
With all do respect to those who may think that the Hamilton line of Pianos can not and should not be called "Baldwins", My Vintage 1929 HAMILTON Grand Piano does indeed have a Medallion pressed into the Plate with the printed words "House of Baldwin"..As far as saying the Hamilton line of Pianos are "inferior" to A Baldwin proper, is akin to saying a Chevrolet Pickup truck is inferior to GMC Pickup truck...Granted the Pianos with the Baldwin Moniker stenciled on the Fall board may be the flag ship Concert grands, and the smaller ones may have dual casters on each leg, and may have a higher end set of Hammers and a longer warranty, but those things are just options..What really counts in the end is the Sound board, the Hardrock maple Rim's and Pin Block,s, oh yea the action, the Bridges, the Capo Castro bar, all these things are patented by The House of Baldwin and are the same in all the Baldwin line of Pianos, and yes that includes the Hamilton line...

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission