Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1918590 - 06/25/12 05:38 PM K & C KIG-52D?
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
The word on the street is that Samick has killed Kohler and Campbell. And yet today at lunch I saw a brand new K&C KIG-52D.

There's no mention of this in the Piano Buyer or on SMC's website. It was a really new and raw piano, a bit out of tune, but it felt good. Compared to a Kawia GM-12 next to it, the sound was clearer/brighter and the action a bit lighter.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1928678 - 07/18/12 05:48 PM Re: K & C KIG-52D? [Re: Plowboy]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I'm giving this piano some serious consideration. I can find nothing on the Internets through Google. It must be a new design?

If the price is right, this might be the one. If the price is right. The same dealer had a new Kawai GE-20 in mahogany polish, they offered $17,000. That's $3000 more than what a new GE-30 is going for locally.

#1928696 - 07/18/12 06:22 PM Re: K & C KIG-52D? [Re: Plowboy]
jrcallan Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
You have dealers selling a new GE-30 for $14,000?

#1928704 - 07/18/12 06:27 PM Re: K & C KIG-52D? [Re: Plowboy]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Samick owns so many scale designs that anything is possible. They made a 5'1.5" design for Story & Clark for a while until recently. Since K&C name is coming off the market, it could be new production but finished with old decals or it could be reassigned stock from an overrun of another brand or partnering manufacturer. KIG is a more recent designation, but the D...is there anything about the cabinet style? I would reference the last available pricing from the KIG-50 & KIG-54 for your purposes.

If the price is right, go for it.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1928729 - 07/18/12 07:50 PM Re: K & C KIG-52D? [Re: jrcallan]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jrcallan
You have dealers selling a new GE-30 for $14,000?

Yeah.

#1928730 - 07/18/12 07:54 PM Re: K & C KIG-52D? [Re: PianoWorksATL]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL
Samick owns so many scale designs that anything is possible. They made a 5'1.5" design for Story & Clark for a while until recently. Since K&C name is coming off the market, it could be new production but finished with old decals or it could be reassigned stock from an overrun of another brand or partnering manufacturer. KIG is a more recent designation, but the D...is there anything about the cabinet style? I would reference the last available pricing from the KIG-50 & KIG-54 for your purposes.

If the price is right, go for it.

Sam, there is nothing different about the cabinet, at least cosmetically. Same music desk, etc as the other K&Cs I've seen. They offered 30% off what would roughly be the SMP between the 50 and 54. They will tune it tomorrow and if it sounds good, I may very well get it. It fits the space and the touch is good.

Edited by Plowboy (07/18/12 07:55 PM)

#1938731 - 08/07/12 11:04 AM Re: K & C KIG-52D? [Re: Plowboy]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

So shopping at a restricted budget and space is all about compromise. To make a long story short, the K&C KIG-52D is now in my living room.

It is really squeezed in, but it fits. I like the action quite a bit, it's even, not too heavy, not too light. Tonally, it is not ideal, but that comes with the territory.

I'm looking forward to my technician getting her hands on it. If past performance is any indication of future results, she'll have it sounding its best.

A grand is different from an upright. It's quite an adjustment, but a fun one.

#1939016 - 08/07/12 09:31 PM Re: K & C KIG-52D? [Re: Plowboy]
supersport Online   content

Loc: Arkansas
Hey,

Your new piano looks right at home there! Congratulations on getting it.

I did see a blurb on a Canadian site that the KGC 500 is KIG 52 in Canada. Maybe you have one that wanted to escape the cold weather for the beach. Anyways, congratulations again.

David

#1939113 - 08/08/12 12:40 AM Re: K & C KIG-52D? [Re: Plowboy]
RX2Bunny Offline

Loc: Chicago
Hi Plowboy- I'm also considering a K&C (model is KCM 500). So how do you like the piano so far? how big is your piano? the one i'm interested is 5'1" and it should fit perfectly in my home. but I'm still doing research on the make and build of the instrument. also, do you mind to let me know the price you got? feel free to PM me if you prefer to keep that offline. thanks!

#1939131 - 08/08/12 01:15 AM Re: K & C KIG-52D? [Re: Plowboy]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I did see a blurb on a Canadian site that the KGC 500 is KIG 52 in Canada. Maybe you have one that wanted to escape the cold weather for the beach. Anyways, congratulations again.

So, it's Canadian, eh? And thanks.

Quote:
Hi Plowboy- I'm also considering a K&C (model is KCM 500). So how do you like the piano so far? how big is your piano?

I haven't measured it, but the dealer said 5'2". At first I wasn't sure I did the right thing, but I've had it about two weeks now, and I'm starting to really like it. Once it gets tuned and voiced I think it will suit me fine. I'm getting used to the grand action and think it is a real plus.

As for the price, it wasn't the best I could have done. I could have gone to another Samick dealer and gotten a similar piano much cheaper, but it would have been delivered right out of the warehouse in a box. This piano is the one I tried at the dealer, and they tuned and voiced it for me once I expressed an interest in it. I noticed a slight mar in the finish on the rim, and they are sending a fellow out to work on that. So, I believe there is some value in the extra cost.

The KCM is, if I read Larry Fine correctly, an higher grade piano than the KIG. If you like the touch and tone on it, I don't think you'll be going far wrong. I looked for a KCM-500 and never found one.

This is not the piano I set out to buy. But it fit my very limited budget. Maybe someday there will be an upgrade in my future, but right now I'm looking forward very much to exploring this piano.

#1939190 - 08/08/12 06:30 AM Re: K & C KIG-52D? [Re: Plowboy]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Congratulations Plowboy. Enjoy your new piano!
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#2101223 - 06/11/13 10:01 PM Re: K & C KIG-52D? [Re: Plowboy]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

It's been a year now with this piano. It's had its pros and cons.
Cons: 1. There's a couple of notes at the bridge break that are real honkers. Not bad at all when playing Chopin, but they really stick out with Bach and these Czerny and Gurlitt etudes I've been playing.
2. Right after I purchased this piano, Field's, the dealer, went on a genuine liquidation sale. They are eliminating their stock to become a Steinway Gallery. My timing is so good! Not! They have a Kawai RX-1 in polished walnut for $16,000 that I would have totally purchased.
3. Samick could have paid a bit more attention to the detail on this piano, but what do you want for $8000?
4 The bass is not that great.

Pros: 1. I have a good tech.
2. It has a wonderful singing treble.
3. The hammers respond well to voicing.
4. The action is nice, it has much better dynamics than my old beloved Kawai K-2.
5. It seems to be holding a tune quite well now.

My tech just left. She did some deep voicing and the tone is really nice. She spent four hours voicing and tuning. Samick pianos do have their own tone, and it is not a bad tone. I like it. It's a short piano, I'll have to live with the limitations of the scale.

She did some work on the pedals her first time with this piano, which has improved the damping.

All in all, I enjoy playing this little grand. Like all pianos it has its good days and bad days, but overall it is treating me well. I stood off to the side today while the tech was playing it and it is really a nice sounding piano. Maybe I'll keep it.

Larry Fine is correct when he states: "With dealer prep, Samick made pianos are a good value for most typical uses."

Unfortunately, while helping out a co-worker shopping for a piano, I played a beautiful rosewood polish Kawai RX-2 at Kim's in Garden Grove that not only sounded better than any RX-2 I've tried before, but had a wonderful touch, one of the best I've ever felt. It has been on their floor a long time and they are eager to sell it. Really eager. help

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
111 registered (Abby Pianoman, alfstan, AmateurBob, ajames, ando, 35 invisible), 1414 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75528 Members
42 Forums
156184 Topics
2293547 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Frederick Historical Piano Benefit Concert - July 29 2014
by Terrytunes
4 minutes 36 seconds ago
Using a (continuous) sustain pedal as expression
by barmassimo
23 minutes 38 seconds ago
PianoDiscs and Synthesia
by pianistfromSG
40 minutes 59 seconds ago
[AMAZING PIANO COMP.] Anyone able to transcribe it from ear?
by Weakky
41 minutes 20 seconds ago
Has any franchised their studio?
by Tommy13V
43 minutes 54 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission