2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
The Chickering grands made by Baldwin in the early 80's - early 90's were Baldwins with the Chickering name on the fall board... very nice pianos. They had the accujust hitch pins too (specific Baldwin DNA).

And, I've read that Condoleezza Rice owns a Chickering. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Condoleezza Rice is my favorite side dish.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
Originally Posted by Derulux

I'm not so sure. The reason Baldwin failed is because of the perceived value of the brand name "Wurlitzer" and "Chickering". They weren't worth the price tag on the piano, so nobody bought them.

On what do you base that statement? I don't think it has any validity. There were far more compelling issue that lead to Baldwin's failure.

The fact that the consumer base did not purchase the product, which you're right, could indicate more than one thing. But, I am always willing to listen to a more compelling argument.. care to add more? smile

Originally Posted by MinnesotaMarty
Derulux,

Please explain this statement which is ambigious. It wasn't until Steve's response that I realized it has two different interpretations. What did you mean by perceived value? Was it that these "names" were lesser than the Baldwin name itself, or that the names were on par with Baldwin, but didn't live up to the expectation?

Unfortunately, I've less details than I would like to delve into a micro analysis of why the brands failed. So I am left only to look at the macro. One of the biggest contributors to a failed brand in a luxury market is the market-perceived value of that brand versus the price tag on the product and the other options available to the consumer within that market.

Hoping if Steve wants to get into micro analysis that he provides the details.. because I openly admit I don't have 'em. I would definitely like to hear more from him, though, other than, "Your point isn't valid." wink

Last edited by Derulux; 08/08/12 11:16 AM.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Pianolance,

I'm not so sure of the timeline of your ranking. In the early 20th century the big-name American pianos were Steinway, Chickering, and Knabe.

Midway in the century, the usual names mentioned were Steinway, Baldwin and Mason. Though still respected, Chickering and Knabe no longer were at the forefront. During the late 1980's and and 90's it was in flux again.

Charles Walter emerged and Mason soared. Steinway slipped a bit, but was still the name which was held in highest regard. It was also during this time that the piano community was learning of the great European imports and Yamaha and Kawai finally gained merited respect.

The internet has totally changed our awareness of what is available and how we obtain information. "Word of mouth" is no longer from the mouth, but from the (non-piano) keyboard. With this, a greater amount of knowledge is available to the first time buyer. But, it can also be very confusing.

Gone is the time when the primary source of information for a recommendation was from respected musicians in the immediate geographical area. Often the quality of a given instrument was assessed as to the regard in which a dealer was held. The concept was that Mr. Such-N-Such was on the school board, active in his church, and leads the local food drive, he must, therefore, sell the best pianos. Now we seem to need to know if the hammers are Renner, who supplied the pinblock, how the soundboard is laminated using wood from trees grown where, etc. Personally, I would like to know the name of the sheep supplying the hammer felt.

The question of who builds the best piano in America has faded into the past. Now it falls within the parameters of the world. All that said, I think that if you would ask a fine, advanced pianist, who is not a self-professed piano nut, if (s)he likes Fazioli, the reply could very well be, "especially with meatballs."

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Derulux,

Steve's response was to your very direct statement: "The reason Baldwin failed is because ...." You stated it as definative and all encompassing. Steve pointed out that it is not as simplistic as you portrayed. I totally agree with Steve. If you don't have access to all of the facts, which you admit, don't state your opinion as fact.

It's that simple.

Marty in Minnesota

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Pianolance,

I'm not so sure of the timeline of your ranking. In the early 20th century the big-name American pianos were Steinway, Chickering, and Knabe.

Midway in the century, the usual names mentioned were Steinway, Baldwin and Mason. Though still respected, Chickering and Knabe no longer were at the forefront. During the late 1980's and and 90's it was in flux again.

Charles Walter emerged and Mason soared. Steinway slipped a bit, but was still the name which was held in highest regard. It was also during this time that the piano community was learning of the great European imports and Yamaha and Kawai finally gained merited respect.

The internet has totally changed our awareness of what is available and how we obtain information. "Word of mouth" is no longer from the mouth, but from the (non-piano) keyboard. With this, a greater amount of knowledge is available to the first time buyer. But, it can also be very confusing.

Gone is the time when the primary source of information for a recommendation was from respected musicians in the immediate geographical area. Often the quality of a given instrument was assessed as to the regard in which a dealer was held. The concept was that Mr. Such-N-Such was on the school board, active in his church, and leads the local food drive, he must, therefore, sell the best pianos. Now we seem to need to know if the hammers are Renner, who supplied the pinblock, how the soundboard is laminated using wood from trees grown where, etc. Personally, I would like to know the name of the sheep supplying the hammer felt.

The question of who builds the best piano in America has faded into the past. Now it falls within the parameters of the world. All that said, I think that if you would ask a fine, advanced pianist, who is not a self-professed piano nut, if (s)he likes Fazioli, the reply could very well be, "especially with meatballs."

MinnMart,
You are much more detailed and correct. I was speaking in general terms. And, I DO love a good plate of Fazoli with Meatballs.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
S
S
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen

I'm not so sure. The reason Baldwin failed is because of the perceived value of the brand name "Wurlitzer" and "Chickering". They weren't worth the price tag on the piano, so nobody bought them.

On what do you base that statement? I don't think it has any validity. There were far more compelling issue that lead to Baldwin's failure.

The fact that the consumer base did not purchase the product, which you're right, could indicate more than one thing. But, I am always willing to listen to a more compelling argument.. care to add more? smile

Unfortunately, I've less details than I would like to delve into a micro analysis of why the brands failed. So I am left only to look at the macro. One of the biggest contributors to a failed brand in a luxury market is the market-perceived value of that brand versus the price tag on the product and the other options available to the consumer within that market.

Hoping if Steve wants to get into micro analysis that he provides the details.. because I openly admit I don't have 'em. I would definitely like to hear more from him, though, other than, "Your point isn't valid." wink

If you don't have the details, then don't assert your unsupported theories as fact! Applying macro thinking to an individual case is often incorrect. In this case, egregiously so. Baldwin's problems were dominantly poor financial leveraging and debt. The company was mismanaged at the very top by a new CEO that had no background in the piano industry.

Your statement "The fact that the consumer base did not purchase the product, which you're right, could indicate more than one thing." contains a compound statement thst is false. Consumers were purcghasing Baldwin pianos.

Your opinions and beliefs are not facts and are considerably misleading and mis-guided.

Again the fact that "One of the biggest contributors to a failed brand in a luxury market is the market-perceived value of that brand versus the price tag on the product and the other options available to the consumer within that market." has no bearing when discussing a specific entity.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I'll PM ya with my receipe for Fazioli Carbonara.

Marty in Minnesota

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Steve,

The company was mismanaged at the very top by a new CEO that had no background in the piano industry.

Attacking one poster's, in your own words, "unsupported theories as facts", with your own unsupported theories as facts is a bit ridiculous. I see you were careful not to mention names.

Mike

S
S
Originally Posted by Mike Carr
Steve,

The company was mismanaged at the very top by a new CEO that had no background in the piano industry.

Attacking one poster's, in your own words, "unsupported theories as facts", with your own unsupported theories as facts is a bit ridiculous. I see you were careful not to mention names.

Mike

My information come from a number of executives at Baldwin during the crisis. [Not the CEO.] There is relatively universal agreement within the piano industry about the causes of Baldwin's downfall.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
FWIW

I have a friend who was in an executive position with Baldwin in those days who would agree totally with what Steve has said.

The company's demise was swift and sudden.

Takes a long time - decades - to build up an organization.

It can evaporate in 12 months.

I have seen it happen in other industries.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Um, Mike,

The difference is that Mr. Cohen is acknowledged as one of the most respected individuals in the industry, regarding those very facts.

There is the old adage to consider the source. Usually it implies a negative connotation. In this instance, it is unquestionably the opposite.

Before you speak, you might want to provide for yourself, a sound basis for your comments.

I would not be one to question Mr. Cohen's credibility.

Marty in Minnesota

It will be perhaps interesting to compare notes on that subject once again in the next few years.

We may be in for a lot more surprises than people reckon at that time.

Outside certain premium makers, the Chinese domestic market will drive the largest percentage of world consumption. It will be interesting to see who will still be making it at that time and who "not".

One thing for sure, bluffing your way around and pretending things won't be going nowhere.

My own guess is that the above discussion for the most part, will be mute by then.

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 08/08/12 03:01 PM.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Steve,

While I generally don't concern myself with the intellectual honesty of self-styled internet experts, Who exactly were these so-called Baldwin executives going to point the finger at? Themselves? Come on, Steve. Industry gossip is not facts. No matter how you dress it up or how many times you repeat it, it's still gossip.

It might have helped if you'd mentioned the savant who was at the helm when Baldwin went famously bankrupt, one of the biggest bankruptcies at the time in American history. And the savings and loan debacle?

Mike

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Unbelievable

Marty in Minnesota

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
But consistent

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Since we are posting articles now, try this...

http://www.meiea.org/Journal/html_ver/Vol03_No01/Vol_3_No_1_A2.html

Online Content

Originally Posted by Furtwangler
Since we are posting articles now, try this...

http://www.meiea.org/Journal/html_ver/Vol03_No01/Vol_3_No_1_A2.html

ha I was in the process of posting that one as well when my computer crashed.....

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
E
E
Originally Posted by Rickster
The Chickering grands made by Baldwin in the early 80's - early 90's were Baldwins with the Chickering name on the fall board... very nice pianos. They had the accujust hitch pins too (specific Baldwin DNA)

In the 2003 version of The Piano Book, Fine writes that Baldwin's Chickering line of grands was adapted from the Classic line, which "received one of the worst reviews ever to grace the pages of The Piano Book." He also states that in the most recent survey (as of 2003), every one of the Chickering grands "received poor marks for tone quality, with technicians calling the tone 'hollow', 'woody', 'brassy', and 'not very pleasant.' " Is this the source of Baldwin's suit?

I believe Larry Fine was referring to models from the late 90's.

Schimmel 130T
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission