2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elkayem
Originally Posted by Rickster
The Chickering grands made by Baldwin in the early 80's - early 90's were Baldwins with the Chickering name on the fall board... very nice pianos. They had the accujust hitch pins too (specific Baldwin DNA)
In the 2003 version of The Piano Book, Fine writes that Baldwin's Chickering line of grands was adapted from the Classic line, which "received one of the worst reviews ever to grace the pages of The Piano Book." He also states that in the most recent survey (as of 2003), every one of the Chickering grands "received poor marks for tone quality, with technicians calling the tone 'hollow', 'woody', 'brassy', and 'not very pleasant.' " Is this the source of Baldwin's suit?

I believe Larry Fine was referring to models from the late 90's.

Well, I based my comments about the Baldwin made Chickering from my own personal experience playing one on occasion. I’ve also tuned it a few times.

Okay, what the heck… I disagree with Fine and all his technician friends here… maybe the one I play on occasion is an anomaly and all the rest of them are crap. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
E
E
Rick, if only Larry had included you in his survey, how differently things would have turned out for Baldwin. If only... wink

Schimmel 130T
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I’m not sure I'd give equal weight to both a gossipy trade journal fluff piece and a Federal Judge’s findings, but it does illustrate the risk of showing up in court armed with little more than innuendo and second-guessing after the fact.

I kinda doubt Wanger's tale of woe was introduced as evidence. The tip-off was when she glossed over the previous fearless leader's 9 billion dollar bankruptcy as "some financial trouble in the 70s." Hmm. She could've at least gotten the right decade. About like saying Charles Manson was a pretty good old boy except for that rought spot in the sixties. And what's up with the needs pyramid? Huh? Is that anything like the cone of truth? Self actualization? Sounds like something at a renaissance fair.

And all these ex-Baldwin executives running around? Seems like they'll say whatever you want them to say quicker than a hobo will jump on a ham sandwich. I guess they're still hungry.

Mike

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Mike

Thanks for your usual insightful comments.grin

Last edited by Furtwangler; 08/09/12 11:15 AM.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
S
S
Originally Posted by Pianolance
According to Larry Fines piano book, early editions, Baldwin made an incredible range of products that went from among the best in the world to among the worst. The way I understand it, they even sued Larry because of his reviews of their products.

Just to clarify (and posting as Larry's representative):

There was never legal action between Larry Fine and Baldwin.

Larry's policy has always been to provide manufacturers a copy of his review (now Company Profile] prior to publication, to provide them with the opportunity to check for factual errors. In an early edition of The Piano Book (c. 1989) upon review Baldwin was unhappy with its review and threatened Larry with legal action. Rather than make changes he felt were unjustified, Larry simply omitted Baldwin from the brand review and instead posted a notice explaining why he omitted Baldwin.

When the next edition cane out several years later Baldwin did not repeat their objection.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Thanks for that clarification Steve. I had that edition of the piano book, which was very strange, specifically for its omission of the Baldwin brand. I remember reading Larrys explination at the time, but that was so many years ago that it was a bit fuzzy. I looked for my old copy of The Piano Book but alas it is nowhere to be found. So legal action was only a threat and didn't actually take place.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
S
S
Correct.

And you post wssn't really a problem, I just felt uncomfortable not clarifying.

It is surprising, at least to me, that in all the years that Larry has been publishing industry facts, opinions ratings, and pricing information, that he hasn't ever been sued.

www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Maryland/DC/No. VA

Amazing, but just heard the new news of who's apparently building the new grands for Baldwin in China now.

Word must be going around who's good over there...

Baldwin reps: when you're making the announcement?

Norbert wink

S
S
I'm not a Baldwin rep but I was told [not confidentially] that it was Parsons.

Were you told differently?

Last edited by Steve Cohen; 08/09/12 06:10 PM.

www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Maryland/DC/No. VA

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
I'm not a Baldwin rep but I was told [not confidentially of course] that it was Parsons.

Does Parsons own any Savings & Loans?

Would they like to?? grin

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Also, F Troop ... (sorry, I tuned in late)

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Furtwangler,

Thanks for your usual insightful comments.

If you say so. What I’m more concerned about is accuracy, probably like a lot of people who prefer a piano forum to a chat room or popularity contest. Your statement from an, er, ex-Badlwin executive that Baldwin’s demise was “swift and sudden”, shows a lack of familiarity with the facts which you further compound by offering a “case history” from an industry writer who seems more interested in leadership theories and gossip than any actual history.

Does any of this matter ten years down the road? No. Ultimately you are left with one fact, Baldwin wasn’t selling enough pianos to cover a long legacy of missteps.

What's a name worth? Despite becoming the Baldwin executive men's club's favorite scapegoat, former CEO Karen Hendricks was able to clear hers. After all the finger pointing, the numerous recitals of alleged acts, and the gossip and innuendo, District Court Judge Thomas Rose made his ruling, “Essentially all of the unsecured creditors’ alleged breaches consist of an arguable fact followed by unsupported allegations of what could have occurred, but did not occur, based on the arguable fact. Said another way, the unsecured creditors’ alleged breaches consist mainly of after-the-fact second-guessing.”

Mike

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

We can read, have read, and don't need to read it again.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M

A guy standing on a street corner holding up a sign? Somehow, Marty, that fits you perfectly.

Mike

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
You know nothing about me - I do tire of you, however.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Come on, folks, I know this thread has been entertaining, but let’s keep it civil...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I don't always read posts from piano forum iconoclasts, but when I do, I read Mike Carr.

Sometimes Mike is off the mark, but he provides some useful insight. The fact that so many industry people dislike him must mean something. I think he's a good part of the forum, different viewpoints should always be welcome.

Civility is always welcome, too, of course.

Gary
K
K-52SM Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Whats A Name Worth ???? HOW CAN AN OLD FAMILIAR FRIEND LIKE IVERS & POND, CHICKERING, WURLITZER, CONN, WINTER, LESTER OR EVEN BETSY ROSS (LOL) BE BORN AGAIN ??? SAY CHICKERING IS GIVEN A NEW REBIRTH AND WE HAVE FOUND OUR SOURCE TO HELP US PRODUCE OUR PREMIUM PERFORMANCE PIANOS, WHAT MODELS SHOULD BE REINTRODUCED FROM THE GOLDEN ERA OF PIANOS. WHAT STYLES, FINISHES, AND AT WHAT PRICE POINT WOULD MAKE THE LINE SUCCESSFUL, KEEPING IN MIND THAT THE GOAL IS TO MAKE CHICKERING A MORE ACCESSIBLE PREMIUM PERFORMANCE PIANO THAT CHICKERING ONCE WAS. ACCESSABLE TO MORE MUSIC TEACHERS, THE MIDDLE CLASS, INSTITUTIONS, STUDENTS AND THOSE DESIREING MORE THAN JUST AN ORDINARY COMMON PIANO. WHAT WOULD THAT PIANO SELL FOR

TOMMY

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Word of the day:
i·con·o·clast 
noun
1. a person who attacks cherished beliefs, traditional institutions, etc., as being based on error or superstition.
2. a breaker or destroyer of images, especially those set up for religious veneration.

By the way, typing in all caps is the equivalent of "SHOUTING"

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by K-52SM
Whats A Name Worth ???? HOW CAN AN OLD FAMILIAR FRIEND LIKE IVERS & POND, CHICKERING, WURLITZER, CONN, WINTER, LESTER OR EVEN BETSY ROSS (LOL) BE BORN AGAIN ??? SAY CHICKERING IS GIVEN A NEW REBIRTH AND WE HAVE FOUND OUR SOURCE TO HELP US PRODUCE OUR PREMIUM PERFORMANCE PIANOS, WHAT MODELS SHOULD BE REINTRODUCED FROM THE GOLDEN ERA OF PIANOS. WHAT STYLES, FINISHES, AND AT WHAT PRICE POINT WOULD MAKE THE LINE SUCCESSFUL, KEEPING IN MIND THAT THE GOAL IS TO MAKE CHICKERING A MORE ACCESSIBLE PREMIUM PERFORMANCE PIANO THAT CHICKERING ONCE WAS. ACCESSABLE TO MORE MUSIC TEACHERS, THE MIDDLE CLASS, INSTITUTIONS, STUDENTS AND THOSE DESIREING MORE THAN JUST AN ORDINARY COMMON PIANO. WHAT WOULD THAT PIANO SELL FOR

TOMMY

Tommy, you should consult with Rich G, he did it with the
Matchless Cunningham. He knows the ins and outs and pratfalls.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission