Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1895873 - 05/12/12 06:15 PM casio privia px330 and recording multichannel midi
charliedunn Offline

i'm hoping somebody can advise me on how to set up my casio px 330 with cubase, or really any other midi software, in order to record and playback multichannel midi. the problem lies in the fact that the px330 has pretty weak midi capabilities

- for example, i can set channel 1, in cubase, to play a GM Piano, and channel 2, to be GM strings, but i can't figure out how to set channels to be any of the px330's non-GM sounds (e.g. its main sound, GrandPiano is much better than its GM Piano, but since it's not GM i can't find a way to set it).

- on the keyboard itself, for example when i'm playing it in order to record my strings, say on channel 2, i cannot easily get the piano to transmit only on specific channels. i believe there is setting deep in some menus about which channel to transmit on, but it's very tedious if you want to be swapping back and forth between two.. so i end up having to play it using the main Grand Piano sound, setting up Cubase to receive and record on all channels, then setting the playback instrument as strings. which means, when i'm recording i can't actually hear the instrument that i want to have it play back as.

does anyone know any good tips for setting up the px330 for recording multichannel midi?

thanks in advance.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1895938 - 05/12/12 09:32 PM Re: casio privia px330 and recording multichannel midi [Re: charliedunn]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
The midi implimentation on the PX-330 should be explained in the manual. You might also find some videos on you tube showing you how to set up cubase. If you are trying to record the internal sound of the PX-330, you can use the flash memory built into the 330's 17 track on board sequencer and save it to a SD card and import it into Cubase. You could also connect the 330 to the computer via the line out of the 330 to the line in of your computer and record it with Cubase.

#1902347 - 05/24/12 11:45 AM Re: casio privia px330 and recording multichannel midi [Re: galaxy4t]
charliedunn Offline

thanks, yes, i've read the manual and also i'm able to record the piano fine into cubase. basic setup isn't the problem, it's the multi-channel part that i can find no information about. every other digital piano or synth i've used before let's you assign multiple midi channels, each to a different patch or sound, but from what i can tell on the 330 you can only set a single channel, i.e. the piano as a whole, and all its sounds get set to the midi channel that you set deep inside one of the menus. there must be (??) a way to do this properly, like it is on pretty much every other keyboard.... or am i too optimistic?

#1911567 - 06/10/12 06:28 PM Re: casio privia px330 and recording multichannel midi [Re: charliedunn]
Roswell4 Offline

I would like to learn the answer to this too. Though in my case, I can't even get the patch to show up in Cubase. This is my first time trying to use MIDI. I've used Cubase for years, and my PX320 as an audio input for several years.

#1935155 - 07/31/12 06:37 AM Re: casio privia px330 and recording multichannel midi [Re: Roswell4]
charliedunn Offline

just giving this question a little *bump* in case anyone else in the last couple of months has any ideas about this since i'm still stuck with it!

#1935157 - 07/31/12 06:46 AM Re: casio privia px330 and recording multichannel midi [Re: charliedunn]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
Is local enabled in the menu settings of the PX-330. If it is not, you won't be able to use any of the piano internal sounds.

#1935164 - 07/31/12 07:15 AM Re: casio privia px330 and recording multichannel midi [Re: charliedunn]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
It used to be the case that you had to select midi multi mode to play different voices from the same device. But I think now, multi-mode is the default, or is automatically selected when required.

I had exactly the same doubt with my Roland HP302, but it turns out that it will respond to different sounds on different midi channels simply by selecting them inside the computer sequencer/ recorder (Cubase etc). The type of voice selected is most easily done by selecting General Midi (GM1 or GM2) in the instrument map.

It was not necessary to change the midi mode or channel inside the piano - all you need to do is disable LOCAL ON so that sounds are controlled through the computer and not by the settings in the piano.

Edited by toddy (07/31/12 07:16 AM)

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#1935176 - 07/31/12 07:54 AM Re: casio privia px330 and recording multichannel midi [Re: charliedunn]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: charliedunn
- for example, i can set channel 1, in cubase, to play a GM Piano, and channel 2, to be GM strings, but i can't figure out how to set channels to be any of the px330's non-GM sounds (e.g. its main sound, GrandPiano is much better than its GM Piano, but since it's not GM i can't find a way to set it).

It sounds like you're sending simple Program Change commands from Cubase to the PX330, and that will only give you GM sounds. If this is like other Casios I have used, you have to also send Bank Change (MSB/LSB) info to get to the non-GM sounds. I believe you should be able to assign any of the PX-330's 16 sounds to any of its 16 channels that way. It is all done via your software (Cubase, or whatever else), it cannot be done from inside the piano itself.

on the keyboard itself, for example when i'm playing it in order to record my strings, say on channel 2, i cannot easily get the piano to transmit only on specific channels. i believe there is setting deep in some menus about which channel to transmit on

The procedure is detailed on page 40 of the PX330 manual. The settings you're looking for are shown on page 42. It looks pretty straight forward. But I'm not sure why you need to set the PX330 to transmit on different channels in the first place. I don't know Cubase, but you should be able to leave the piano transmitting on the same MIDI channel (typically 1), and allow Cubase to reroute it to the desired MIDI playback channel.

i end up having to play it using the main Grand Piano sound...then setting the playback instrument as strings. which means, when i'm recording i can't actually hear the instrument that i want to have it play back as.

Can't you use the PX330's front panel controls to select the same string sound you'll be using for playback? Why do you have to leave it on piano? Though if this is the approach you take, you'd want to make sure Cubase isn't echoing MIDI IN to MIDI OUT while you're recording, or else whatever you're playing "live" will also be sent back out to the keyboard.

But I think that's all academic because I think the preferable approach is to turn Local Off and let Cubase send your playing back into the Casio over the desired MIDI channel while you're recording, as I alluded to in the previous paragraph.

The only thing that I think is a little "different" about Casio's MIDI approach is that the MIDI IN is usually treated as a source completely apart from the keybed itself. This allows someone to playback a 16 channel MIDI sequence and then play a 17th sound over it, live from the keybed, at the same time. For your purposes, it might make sense to look at it as a 16-channel MIDI playback device, and a 1-channel MIDI recording device, in the same box. So turn Local Off and think of it as a simple one-zone soundless controller hooked up (MIDI OUT) to a 16-channel MIDI sound module (MIDI IN), and I bet it all falls into place.

#1939760 - 08/09/12 07:37 AM Re: casio privia px330 and recording multichannel midi [Re: charliedunn]
MartyOCS Offline

Hello all,

I'm a new pianist, started playing six months ago, got my new casio privia 330 two months ago,,

If you are a fan of video games pieces, you might enjoy these:

Silent Hill series:

Promise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46frGNdy47Y

Not Tomorrow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmdcEZ5jxnw

Room of Angel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcKusOoa5fA

Final Fantasy:

Yuna's Ballad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHcfuXp16O8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Donnie Darko:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENBXyhqbkQg

Please feel free to subscribe for more videos

Marty

#1939836 - 08/09/12 11:55 AM Re: casio privia px330 and recording multichannel midi [Re: MartyOCS]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Originally Posted By: MartyOCS
Hello all

Cross-posted 3 times, yikes haha

#1987497 - 11/16/12 02:25 PM Re: casio privia px330 and recording multichannel midi [Re: charliedunn]
funkygas Offline

Loc: Santiago, Chile
Hey!

I found a similar problem today with my PX330, linking to Cubase through a Lexicon Lambda.

Taking the midi out from Cubase to the PX330,it would only play GM tones. Even setting the patch setting to 'OFF' in Cubase (which then sends no patch change information to the keyboard) it would just default to GM sound 1 (crappy piano).

But, if I connect the PC to the PX330 via a USB cable (not the midi in), and select the new midi connection in Cubase - it works as a typical midi slave, playing the midi track with whatever keyboard sound I change it to. I don't understand why this worked though!

Also, it created some weird feedback hum in one of the speakers, but at least I can access the non-GM tones now!

I don't think you will be able to use the PX330 (with non-GM tones) as a multi-track midi player though. I don't think it was designed for such a function.

My Yamaha QY300 (15yrs old now!) is exactly that - a multi-track midi player/sequencer which acts as 16 different keyboards. Glad I hung on to it!

#1987565 - 11/16/12 05:43 PM Re: casio privia px330 and recording multichannel midi [Re: funkygas]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Originally Posted By: funkygas
I don't think you will be able to use the PX330 (with non-GM tones) as a multi-track midi player though. I don't think it was designed for such a function.

So ... the 10 built-in demo songs work by ...

#1988243 - 11/18/12 05:23 PM Re: casio privia px330 and recording multichannel midi [Re: funkygas]
1John Offline

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Originally Posted By: funkygas

Also, it created some weird feedback hum in one of the speakers, but at least I can access the non-GM tones now!

A possible reason for the extra hum may be that the midi connection through the Lexicon Lambda is opto-isolated, but the USB connection is producing a ground loop?

#2006048 - 12/29/12 02:08 PM Re: casio privia px330 and recording multichannel midi [Re: charliedunn]
funkygas Offline

Loc: Santiago, Chile
Eureka! I've just made a discovery on my PX300!

After getting the non-GM sounds to play using the USB cable, I didn't work the next time I tried. So,it meant that it 100% had to be something that I'd done differently with Cubase. The Midi setting within the keyboard are so basic that there was no other rational explanation.

My great discovery - you need to have the 'monitor' button on (for your midi channel). Then if you select a non-GM tone on the keyboard, it switches to it without drama!

As for using the PX300 as a multitrack midi player using the non GM sounds - no wiser!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (AndresD, ajames, 36251, 35 invisible), 1806 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156090 Topics
2292127 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help for Newbie
by PianoJill
17 minutes 28 seconds ago
25 Vintage Steinways
by Rich D.
20 minutes 51 seconds ago
First steps for improvisers and composers
by Mark Polishook
26 minutes 59 seconds ago
First steps for improvisers and composers
by Mark Polishook
39 minutes 53 seconds ago
Partial strength - hammer voicing or soundboard ?
by prout
42 minutes 26 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission