Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1939348 - 08/08/12 01:20 PM Any other left handed players?
dbush2765 Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
So this is a weird issue that I've been really thinking about lately. I'm as left handed as you can get. I don't do a thing with my right hand, for the most part.

I've been noticing that some more complicated melodies have been giving me a lot of trouble, just because my right hand just can't seem to keep up. I've been working on a few David Nevue pieces, and quick runs really give me a hard time. I can knock out bass lines no problem, but I'm starting to hit a wall with my right hand.

I had this same issue when I played guitar. I just could not play faster solos. I could "play" them on the fret board no problem, but my right hand just couldn't move the pick fast enough to keep up.

Anyone else have an issue like this? I eventually got a left-handed guitar to fix the issue, obviously I don't have that luxury with piano frown

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1939375 - 08/08/12 02:04 PM Re: Any other left handed players? [Re: dbush2765]
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Well, there's always this solution: Left-Handed Piano.

Or, you could specialize in left-hand repertoire: Piano Music for One Hand

Seriously, I suspect everyone struggles with hand dominance (right or left) at one time or another. I think the only solution is practice. My brother, a classically trained pianist, is left-handed in most things, and my impression is that he worked a bit harder at right-hand training during his studies but didn't find the problem too hard to manage in the end. Hanon or even scales can be used for developing hand equality. If you are studying classical literature, Bach is pretty good at exercising both hands without the traditional "melody in RH/harmony in LH" structure. And there are etudes that focus on one hand or the other.
Estonia L168 #1718

#1939388 - 08/08/12 02:23 PM Re: Any other left handed players? [Re: packa]
Farmerjones Offline

Loc: USA
im left handed but wouldn't say severely so. i play guitar, banjo, mandolin, violin, all conventional/right handed also. Cause & effect wise, i wouldn't know if doing so contributes to a lesser dominance or not? Piano-wise, my right hand is definately nothing to brag about. Picking out a melody on a mandolin or guitar has it's speed limitations as well.

#1939720 - 08/09/12 04:47 AM Re: Any other left handed players? [Re: dbush2765]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
playing fast melodic lines - especially more difficult melodies - most often won't come to you immediately. Though fortunately, with slow, methodical practice, they can if you're patient enough and put in the work. If, after a few days of slow practice (while memorizing) you still don't find yourself making any progress, then it's likely a technical and/or fingering issue that should you re-post about with more specific details - assuming the piece(s) in question aren't just simply too far out of your current ability

#1939723 - 08/09/12 05:13 AM Re: Any other left handed players? [Re: dbush2765]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I'm ambidextrous, which does really help with this aspect of piano playing, but I think with slow, dedicated practice, you can learn to do things very well with your right hand. Maybe not as well as someone who's right handed, but very well.
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

#1939746 - 08/09/12 06:34 AM Re: Any other left handed players? [Re: dbush2765]
samasap Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
I am left handed also and we all play stronger with the hand we write with, but what you need to do is to practice melody arrangements with your right hand only. Work on various songs start with slower pieces and then find some pieces that have fast rhythms required in the right hand and play these right hand only and eventually along to a metronome in which you gradually increase the speed. This way you will strengthen up your right hand so it becomes as strong as your left.

#1939781 - 08/09/12 09:01 AM Re: Any other left handed players? [Re: dbush2765]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Hang in there and be comforted by the fact that there have been many, many great left-handed pianists:

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/collect...anded_pia.shtml

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#1939806 - 08/09/12 10:43 AM Re: Any other left handed players? [Re: dbush2765]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I would think that except for the few who, like Sam, are ambidextrous, most pianists experience some variation of relative RH or LH weakness. As a right-handed person, I started piano with the same problem in reverse, compounded by already being able to read the treble staff (from playing recorder) and being totally UNable to read the bass. My LH has gotten a lot better with practice, especially since I've been learning some of the easier Bach pieces - Minuet in GM BVW 116 (# 4, I think) from AM's Notebook is full of alternating RH/LH arpeggios. My biggest LH challenge now is dynamic control - controlling loudness/softness, etc. Otherwise, I can play melodies as well with my LH as with my RH. Which is also still far from perfect much of the time. But I think with time, your RH will catch up with your left.

#1940060 - 08/09/12 09:06 PM Re: Any other left handed players? [Re: joyoussong]
Joke Fingers Offline

I'm left handed and there is good and bad. Firstly I practice Hannon a lot to stregthen my right hand as the right hand parts can be more demanding a times. Plus it creates a better balance between both hands. The good part I think is it's far easier for me to lighten my left hand and not drown out the melody. Also being left handed means I can focus my attention far more on my right hand. I think we are disadvantaged a bit in the begining but it evens itself out later on.

#1940113 - 08/09/12 11:39 PM Re: Any other left handed players? [Re: dbush2765]
Para Otras Offline

You've only been playing a year and you skipped over the basics/intermediates and went straight into repertoire. Give your body time to catch up. You are hitting these blocks because your technique isn't perfected yet.

It takes time and practice. Just relax and do the best you can. Work on things you CAN manage with no problem in order to overcome this.

And remember, speed is rarely important when learning. Speed comes after technique and after even more time.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
108 registered (ando, alans, anotherscott, Almaviva, 31 invisible), 1585 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75336 Members
42 Forums
155776 Topics
2287294 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
If there were only 2 choices..
by ChopinFan66
Today at 08:04 PM
symphonic pianomusic
by dolce sfogato
Today at 06:16 PM
First Digital Piano - Casio AP250 or Roland RP301?
by Jorgeb
Today at 02:07 PM
Interested in an Exam Program; Which One Best in Eastern US?
by ClsscLib
Today at 10:40 AM
Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ?
by Abby Pianoman
Today at 10:02 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission