2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,646 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 266 of 341 1 2 264 265 266 267 268 340 341
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
HEre's a shot at answering my own question.

Strictly from a pedagogy standpoint, what are the top 10 scales. In order, mine. I might change my mind later. Tell me what you think.

Major
Melodic Minor
Harmonic Minor
Lydian Dominant
Lydian
Dorian
Super Locrian
Diminished
Phrygian
Locrian #2

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
You guys play the head of Softly differently but makes no difference. I play it like in the leadsheet. In this case, I just looked at the Colorado Book. Eb IS played on the Downbeat on D-7b5. Whether someone reharmed it or not, the issue is that b9 is played often and there's a whole paragraph in Levine's Jazz Piano Book with the debate.
No reharm here. It's what's in my book. There's several different versions of the head in different books. None has the truth. As Knotty wrote: it's a can of worms.
The only way to start from the beginning is getting hold of the original chart.

Ah well. It was originally a tango in 2/4.
http://www.jazzstandards.com/compositions-1/softlyasinamorningsunrise.htm

Last edited by chrisbell; 08/10/12 10:43 AM.
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty

Strictly from a pedagogy standpoint, what are the top 10 scales. In order, mine. I might change my mind later. Tell me what you think.

Major
Melodic Minor
Harmonic Minor
Lydian Dominant
Lydian
Dorian
Super Locrian
Diminished
Phrygian
Locrian #2

I would never think of practicing all these. I practice

Ionian
Dorian
Diminished
Diminished Whole-Tone

Then the rest of the time I'm just looking at alterations to Ionian (what I think of as the underlying scale).

But I will practice triads in all modes. Now of course visually I know every scale. I just can't see the point of starting at different points of the scale for practice. Dorian being different because there I'm practicing voicings.

Practicing a scale mode implies that there's some different fingering I would use. But Jazz uses whatever fingers are available.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B

Major
Melodic Minor
Harmonic Minor
Lydian Dominant
Lydian
Dorian
Super Locrian
Diminished
Phrygian
Locrian #2

Doesn't the blues scale count?

I suppose I don't really think the dorian is a different scale from the ionian (aeolian, phryg etc). It is a different mode of the same scale.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just need to know what's altered from from the basic scale. It's very important for all improvisers to think in terms of 1-b9-9-#9-3-11-#11-5-b13-13-b7-7 instantaneously in all 12 keys.

You've got to know the numbers in all keys without blinking an eye. thumb All the numbers though, not just the one's you've listed. I think the key word here is "basic scale".

Which leads to this...

Originally Posted by chrisbell
Harmony and scales are two different things.

In the evolution of music, harmony is derived from melody by layering melodic relationships. The relationships are based on the ratios of pitch frequencies, creating the "basic scale". In layering relationships to create harmonies, new relationships are revealed by the same ratios that created the first relationship, contributing to an expansion of what's available melodically and thus leading to more harmonic possibilites, and the cycle goes on...

So really harmony and melody are interconnected in a way that makes them inseperable. You can't have one without implying the other, whether this is acknowledged or not.

So, when we ask a question like this...

What are the first 2 measures of Softly?

(warning, can of worms wink )

Why are we opening a can of worms? Because of course, there are numerous ways of looking at this tune as has been pointed out. But in the end, it all starts with C. Not even C major or C minor... just C. Then, one note at a time, we start to imply inseperable melodic and harmonic relationships. Depending on which relationship we choose to hold on to, we then are able to find more relationships. This is what reharmonization, or lack-thereof for that matter, is all about.

So to me, talking about scales serves only as a way of organizing possibilities into a grouping of notes that are "sound" in some already established conventional way (by tracing back to pitch frequency ratios of the basic scale). It's very useful for learning what is possible at a given moment. But as the myriad of "scale" possibilites are absorbed, compared, and contrasted, it all ends up back to the starting point... numbers in relation (by ratios) to a central pitch. In Softly, that is C. If enough different "sound and conventional" relationships are known and are intuitive, they can be blended and overlapped and manipulated without really thinking anything about C harmonic minor, melodic minor, D dorian, dorian with a flat 2, mixolydian, altered diminished, or whatever. Which is why we all know that all 12 notes can work, so long as you know how to do it.

But that's what it's all about... learning how to do it. We many never know and that's why it's called theory smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss

Major
Melodic Minor
Harmonic Minor
Lydian Dominant
Lydian
Dorian
Super Locrian
Diminished
Phrygian
Locrian #2

Doesn't the blues scale count?

I suppose I don't really think the dorian is a different scale from the ionian (aeolian, phryg etc). It is a different mode of the same scale.

How could I possibly forget the blues scale. And pentatonic scale. Ok, so I need to rethink my priorities.

>>I suppose I don't really think the dorian is a different scale from the ionian (aeolian, phryg etc). It is a different mode of the same scale.
I agree in most cases. When we look at my list of scales, they are mostly modes of major and minor scales. However, taking the example of lydian dominant, it's easier for me to just visualize that scale, rather than to think that it's a mode of a melodic minor. Or that it's some modification of a major scale.

So on that point, I will disagree with you and JW and say that there's value in practicing specifically that scale and it's application to tunes. Starting with Take the A Train, Days of Wine and Roses and other great standards.

OK, another fun quizz for all.
On a 3-6-2-5, say E- A7 D- G7
what do people use on E-7?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So on that point, I will disagree with you and JW and say that there's value in practicing specifically that scale and it's application to tunes. Starting with Take the A Train, Days of Wine and Roses and other great standards.
+1
And from that practice; triads, chords, etc is derived.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
OK, another fun quizz for all. On a 3-6-2-5, say E- A7 D- G7. What do people use on E-7?
Dorian.

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B

However, taking the example of lydian dominant, it's easier for me to just visualize that scale, rather than to think that it's a mode of a melodic minor. Or that it's some modification of a major scale.

So on that point, I will disagree with you and JW and say that there's value in practicing specifically that scale and it's application to tunes.Starting with Take the A Train, Days of Wine and Roses and other great standards.

In A train you may chose to think D lydian dominant (on bars 3 and 4) and I may think A melodic minor (or even Ab dim WT or F sharp locrian sharp2)). It is only the label that changes, the notes remain. This is what is so great about modal thinking - that if you have all the A melodic minor patterns down then they apply to many different chords, so you can simultaneously practice patterns on D7sharp11 and Ab7alt and A min maj7 and F sharp m7b5.

OK, another fun quizz for all.
On a 3-6-2-5, say E- A7 D- G7
what do people use on E-7?

Is it allowed to change the Em to Em7b5 or E7sharp9?
Otherwise maybe C major, G major, D major

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Scott Coletta
I just need to know what's altered from from the basic scale. It's very important for all improvisers to think in terms of 1-b9-9-#9-3-11-#11-5-b13-13-b7-7 instantaneously in all 12 keys.

You've got to know the numbers in all keys without blinking an eye. thumb All the numbers though, not just the one's you've listed. I think the key word here is "basic scale".

Which leads to this...

Harmony and scales are two different things.

In the evolution of music, harmony is derived from melody by layering melodic relationships. The relationships are based on the ratios of pitch frequencies, creating the "basic scale". In layering relationships to create harmonies, new relationships are revealed by the same ratios that created the first relationship, contributing to an expansion of what's available melodically and thus leading to more harmonic possibilites, and the cycle goes on...

So really harmony and melody are interconnected in a way that makes them inseperable. You can't have one without implying the other, whether this is acknowledged or not.

So, when we ask a question like this...

What are the first 2 measures of Softly?

(warning, can of worms wink )

Why are we opening a can of worms? Because of course, there are numerous ways of looking at this tune as has been pointed out. But in the end, it all starts with C. Not even C major or C minor... just C. Then, one note at a time, we start to imply inseperable melodic and harmonic relationships. Depending on which relationship we choose to hold on to, we then are able to find more relationships. This is what reharmonization, or lack-thereof for that matter, is all about.

So to me, talking about scales serves only as a way of organizing possibilities into a grouping of notes that are "sound" in some already established conventional way (by tracing back to pitch frequency ratios of the basic scale). It's very useful for learning what is possible at a given moment. But as the myriad of "scale" possibilites are absorbed, compared, and contrasted, it all ends up back to the starting point... numbers in relation (by ratios) to a central pitch. In Softly, that is C. If enough different "sound and conventional" relationships are known and are intuitive, they can be blended and overlapped and manipulated without really thinking anything about C harmonic minor, melodic minor, D dorian, dorian with a flat 2, mixolydian, altered diminished, or whatever. Which is why we all know that all 12 notes can work, so long as you know how to do it.

But that's what it's all about... learning how to do it. We many never know and that's why it's called theory smile

Cool explanation!

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
+1
And from that practice; triads, chords, etc is derived.

Obviously you still need to know the modes. But I don't "practice" a scale starting from some degree.

I don't sit here saying, today I will do Phrygian mode. Tomorrow, Locrian. Will my fingers play it differently?

I just play the Major scale. For the same reason, I don't get the practice of relative minor scales. Isn't the purpose of this just theory?

Correct me if I'm wrong but so far, I've never spent time on this (after almost 8 years).

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B

Obviously you still need to know the modes. But I don't "practice" a scale starting from some degree.

But why not? I mean if you are going to practise the major scale you don't want to start and stop on C each time. In real music it starts and stops on any note.
I try to vary as much as possible any scale exercises I do.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

In A train you may chose to think D lydian dominant (on bars 3 and 4) and I may think A melodic minor (or even Ab dim WT or F sharp locrian sharp2)). It is only the label that changes, the notes remain. This is what is so great about modal thinking - that if you have all the A melodic minor patterns down then they apply to many different chords, so you can simultaneously practice patterns on D7sharp11 and Ab7alt and A min maj7 and F sharp m7b5.

That makes sense. I'll let that sink in for a while.
I'm going at it from a pedagogy angle. While the notes remain the same, there are ways to present those concepts to a student that work better than others.
I think the idea is that when you see D7 in A Train, thinking D7 lydian dominant might actually be easier than other options outlined above.

And on that, I think Burton's right. His thing is "I don't think this scale name, that scale name, I just think this one, that one". Often it's presented as "the notes should light up in your brain". Like the toy keyboards. I like that analogy.

But until that happens, when explaining concepts to students, I think it's key to show something that is easy to understand and apply.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member

But why not? I mean if you are going to practise the major scale you don't want to start and stop on C each time. In real music it starts and stops on any note.
I try to vary as much as possible any scale exercises I do.

I'd rather do that with real music rather than with scale practice.

To me scale practice is a specific thing. If I practice it in 4 octaves, I'm hitting every note in the normal range am I not? What's the purpose of stopping (which is what it amounts to) in some middle range?

Real music looks like real music. Not scales.

I could be wrong. I just never got a convincing explanation. Is there something technically different that I'm missing?

Do you use different fingering when you play scales in modes? I haven't done that.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member

That makes sense. I'll let that sink in for a while.
I'm going at it from a pedagogy angle. While the notes remain the same, there are ways to present those concepts to a student that work better than others.
I think the idea is that when you see D7 in A Train, thinking D7 lydian dominant might actually be easier than other options outlined above.

And on that, I think Burton's right. His thing is "I don't think this scale name, that scale name, I just think this one, that one". Often it's presented as "the notes should light up in your brain". Like the toy keyboards. I like that analogy.

But until that happens, when explaining concepts to students, I think it's key to show something that is easy to understand and apply.

If I'm going to think of D7, why would I need to think of scale alone which is limiting? I would rather think of the D7 in all its inversions, two handed, cluster, open.

Then visualize every alteration possible. Especially with dominants, why think in the limited view of a scale?

I think of chord tones and then expand that to visualize all 12 tones to see how I'm going to alter it. To properly improvise, eventually we have to see it this way in total IMHO.

As I've said earlier, although I know the scale to which a chord belongs, I realize that's not enough.

My Jazz Blog

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Knotty
For D7s in general I tend to use mixolydian. But I know you like me using lydian dominant, so I've used that too.
For Take the A train, I use lydian dominant as that is the sound intended by the head.

Thanks very much for your quest in trying to make my workload easier, much appreciated smile

From a beginner's perspective, I only know one mode of major: maj 7 #11 (this is all I got up to from the Burton masterclass). Even knowing just one mode has given me so much more improv freedom e.g. if I want to make the major sound even brighter, I can switch to #11.

Last edited by custard apple; 08/10/12 08:20 PM.
B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B

To me scale practice is a specific thing. If I practice it in 4 octaves, I'm hitting every note in the normal range am I not? What's the purpose of stopping (which is what it amounts to) in some middle range?

In the real world you may wish to go up a ascending E major scale starting from an A and then at say top F sharp turn and descend. Your fingers are not going to know what to do if you have only practiced turning round at E.
Also if you play scales rhythmically in groups of 3 4 5 etc you may want to turn around on the beat which is probably not going to be the tonic. Music isn't normally in the 7/8 of normal scales.

Do you use different fingering when you play scales in modes? I haven't done that.

Sometimes, it depends. I used to practice some alternative fingerings, and trying some different ones has got to be a good idea.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hey Dave
I'm glad you've joined in this can of worms.
I know you practise a lot of scales and modes.
For the major scale, which modes do you practise ?

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hi Custard
all of them, and turning round on each note as well, in rhythmic groups of 3 4 and 5
and in plenty of other ways as well but that is enough to keep anyone busy for a while.
Don't neglect a variety of dynamics and articulations. I have found staccato to be particularly useful.

I don't do it a lot, just 5 or 10 minutes a day. Maybe I do 1 unfamiliar scale (to learn the notes) then a well known one in unusual grouping and then one more for speed and evenness.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks Dave, that's very useful !
That's a great idea to do them in groups of 3, I only do them in groups of 4.
I'd love to do the sort of triplets that Bill Evans uses.

For articulation, I've been practising accenting the upbeat. Do you ever accent the downbeat ?

For phrase endings, do you ever end on a staccato ?

Yeah for me, 10 min a day is all my brain can absorb.

Page 266 of 341 1 2 264 265 266 267 268 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission