2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
K-52SM Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Pianolance

Please accept my apologies. I meant no offence. I should not have used such terms to illustrate my passion for my dream idea. I with all sincerity did not mean to attack you or anyone elses personaly held beliefs. Please accept my apology and I extend that to anyone that I offended. I should have been more thoughtful about what I was saying.

As for all caps I didn't mean to shout. Sometimes It's just easier for me sometimes than using the shift key for the occational capital,you see I have sever tremors from parkinsons

Last edited by K-52SM; 08/10/12 02:06 PM.
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Plowboy
I don't always read posts from piano forum iconoclasts, but when I do, I read Mike Carr.

Sometimes Mike is off the mark, but he provides some useful insight. The fact that so many industry people dislike him must mean something. I think he's a good part of the forum, different viewpoints should always be welcome.

Civility is always welcome, too, of course.

Yeah he is a real sweetheart. And, as he himself put it - he is only concerned about accuracy.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Tommy,

It seems that we have given you all of the advice we can. None of us has ever tried it, and don't know about it. We can only speculate, as you have done.

Pianolance gave you the best advice to contact Rich Galassini. To the best of my knowledge, he is the only individual who has done this very thing. It would be best to contact him in a PM.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
No problem at all K-52SM, I took no offense. The only reason I posted the definition of Iconoclast is because I thought it was an interesting word.

I think your idea is tantalizing and it would be interesting if someone could do for Chickering what Samick has done for Knabe. Of course the ultimate would be to follow what the new Mason and Hamlin has done but I fear that would be cost prohibitive.

There are a few GREAT names out there such as Ivers and Pond (which I believe is also owned by Baldwin but I'm not sure) and some other smaller makers that still had a reputation for very high quality such as Steiff, what you are proposing would pretty much have to be a labor of love, but pulled off, it could be great.

Last edited by Pianolance; 08/10/12 03:59 PM.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Mike Carr

What's a name worth? Despite becoming the Baldwin executive men's club's favorite scapegoat, former CEO Karen Hickman was able to clear hers.

Which name - Karen Hendricks or Karen Hickman ??? grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
K
K-52SM Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Marty and Forum members

Thank-you much for the facinating discussion, debate and opinions contributed to this thread. It certainly took some interesting turns. It would certainly take a hercalian effort to make something like this happen.This was just more of a 'what if?" curiousity on my Part.

Perhapes the question should be, with all the branding potential that "Chickering" has, why does "Baldwin" seem to be sitting on all that. Premuim Performance Pianos at affordble accessable Prices.

Not everyone that wants a Steinway, Mason & Hamlin, Charles Walter, or Baldwin for that matter, not that they are not fine piano much deserving of thier fine reputations, Some folks want something different, unique and prestigous with all that comes with a not so commonly found But familiar name
What a potential gold mine

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by K-52SM
Marty and Forum members

Thank-you much for the facinating discussion, debate and opinions contributed to this thread. It certainly took some interesting turns. It would certainly take a hercalian effort to make something like this happen.This was just more of a 'what if?" curiousity on my Part.

Perhapes the question should be, with all the branding potential that "Chickering" has, why does "Baldwin" seem to be sitting on all that. Premuim Performance Pianos at affordble accessable Prices.

Not everyone that wants a Steinway, Mason & Hamlin, Charles Walter, or Baldwin for that matter, not that they are not fine piano much deserving of thier fine reputations, Some folks want something different, unique and prestigous with all that comes with a not so commonly found But familiar name
What a potential gold mine

I hate to disappoint you but Chickering has virtually zero brand equity.

The name Chickering would only be known by piano nerds like me.

There are only 2 brands of pianos that have even measurable brand awareness in this country and you can pretty well guess what those are.

A potential gold mine? I highly doubt it.

IMHO

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Well certainly Chickerings of the late 19th & early 20th are worth rebuilding..
they are listed among the top makes alongside Steinway,M&H, and Knabe..of that period..
and chickering is include in that list..

S
S
I'm with Furtwangler.

My specialty in piano consulting is marketing. I've been in many meetings with piano manufacturing execs discussing marketing issues, including Yamaha, Bechstein, Samick and Young Chang.

For many years Chickering made a very good piano. However, its name recognition and its image outside of the piano community (dealer, manufacturers, serious players and enthusiasts) is very low.

Kimball and Wurlitzer have exponentially higher name recognition and quite frankly, even those brand names have little value. In fact, the Kimball name was basically abandoned before being picked up a few years ago at no cost.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Karen Hendricks, but then...what do I know...

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission