Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1936359 - 08/02/12 01:09 PM Alan, tell us about your new Grotrian (title change)
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Old title:
It's THURS in US, and was THURS for a long time in Australia

New title:
Alan, tell us about your new Grotrian

And we are all awaiting your piano delivery adventure, Alan!

(backto study piano)

So how's the new GROTRIAN 7'4" straight from the factory?

Sure, we understand your wanting to just play the darn thing, but you have an audience here on pins and needles wanting to hear about it and see it!

I am so envious!

LL

Edited by lilylady (08/03/12 03:48 PM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1936694 - 08/03/12 12:47 AM Re: It's THURS in US, and was THURS for a long time in Australia [Re: lilylady]
backto_study_piano Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi

I've been neglectful.

Blame Clara, my 7'4" Grotrian Concert. Arrived yesterday, and kept me up late last night. She's just beautiful, and a delight to play. Not that she was Clara at the start - I waited till evening to name her - with a short list of possibilities (Genevieve, Nadia and Dame Nellie too). But after playing her for a while, I knew Clara was her name. Clara means "clear, bright and famous" - and she's the first 2 - not sure about the last. I don't think her fame will come during my relationship.

She's not loud - except when I want her to be, and yet it's not a distressingly "too loud". My mini poodle was quite happy to lie on his mat beside my stool while I played. But she's got the most superb pp and ppp. Better than mine, but she's up to wonderful gradation of tone.

Out of the box - she's in remarkable tune. Set a 443, so the technician told me, but she'll probably drop a little as she gets played in. And the voicing is superb. The only adjustments I may - in time - have made is the top octave which may be a little bright.

When I was considering ordering her, I asked the dealer if Grotrian could put a concert regulation on her - he contacted them, and they agreed. And delivered just that.

Last night, I couldn't help getting out old "flames" - music I played long ago and forgotten long ago, just to work out what I'll learn (again), and see what suited her best. And she's risen to each occasion - much better than I did. Hope Mozart didn't mind his Allegro Vivace more at an Andante Vivace - with hiccoughs. How the fingers ever played what they did back then, I don't know. The only thing she didn't like was my Debussy - and that was only because Clair was just TOO pained at being attempted. Let's see if my fingers can get back to their flexibility and speed of 30+ years ago. She's encouraging me to.

She arrived uneventfully yesterday, in all her black shiny glory. She looked a picture in the bright winter sunlight, being wheeled off the truck. I've got a flat street, flat block, slab on ground, so it was wheel the new one in, and out with the old (Schimmel 182).

Seeing her on her side from the underneath, she was beautiful - the fine laminated timbers of the rim underneath are finished off superbly, topped off with a clear coat, and the wood joins are perfect. Compared with the Schimmel where they'd painted the frame and bottom of the rim in mat black, she is a show piece, even from underneath.

After it was put in place, the technician undid the packing and I had a very short - 1 minute play - start of Paderewski Minuet. Then, I had to stop - as he was installing the DamppChaser underneath. Seemingly for ever. But I could admire the other side. The iron frame in a subtle gold, the almost white soundboard, the glimmer of the lights on the strings. But most of all, I was taken by the colour of the inner rim. I don't know what timber it is - like the rich burled rosewood on my mother's old piano, but probably isn't. That inner rim is an encouragement to play from memory, so I can just watch it.

I'm still working on how to get photos onto PianoWorld - but they'll be here within a couple of days.

I'm not sure if you can see them on my FaceBook page - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4101413250517.283131.1138511400&type=3&l=bbd5e02225 might work for you.

cheers, Alan

#1936714 - 08/03/12 01:20 AM Re: It's THURS in US, and was THURS for a long time in Australia [Re: lilylady]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Clara is just stunning!

Congratulations, oh CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

(BTW - A=443 would be very common for a european piano. It hasn't dropped even a cent during its transport! Very, very good.)

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1936744 - 08/03/12 04:49 AM Re: It's THURS in US, and was THURS for a long time in Australia [Re: lilylady]

And her tuning was consistent at half a dozen notes he tried across the whole keyboard, with the slightest variation top & lowest octave.

#1936746 - 08/03/12 05:17 AM Re: It's THURS in US, and was THURS for a long time in Australia [Re: lilylady]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Fantastic!

Clara is just begging to be played. She's beautiful.

None of this lying on the floor looking at her underside!!!

May you have many years of enjoyment.

LL

#1936755 - 08/03/12 06:19 AM Re: It's THURS in US, and was THURS for a long time in Australia [Re: lilylady]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Beautiful pictures Alan!

Clara will serve you for many years to come. Enjoy!
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#1936759 - 08/03/12 06:30 AM Re: It's THURS in US, and was THURS for a long time in Australia [Re: lilylady]

With the tuning, the technician warned me to expect it to maybe shift a bit in the next few weeks as it acclimatises.

#1936760 - 08/03/12 06:34 AM Re: It's THURS in US, and was THURS for a long time in Australia [Re: backto_study_piano]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted By: backto_study_piano
With the tuning, the technician warned me to expect it to maybe shift a bit in the next few weeks as it acclimatises.

That is totally normal. Also expect up to 4 tunings the first year as the strings are still a bit elastic and need to stretch a bit.

Cheers!
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#1936805 - 08/03/12 09:36 AM Re: It's THURS in US, and was THURS for a long time in Australia [Re: Rich Galassini]
Annitenth Offline

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Rich Galassini
Also expect up to 4 tunings the first year as the strings are still a bit elastic and need to stretch a bit.

Is this because the piano is new, or because it has just been moved to a new home?

Edited by Annitenth (08/03/12 09:37 AM)

#1936806 - 08/03/12 09:39 AM Re: It's THURS in US, and was THURS for a long time in Australia [Re: backto_study_piano]
Annitenth Offline

Loc: Texas
The Facebook pix worked fine for me. Loved the piano. (Loved the dog.)

#1936810 - 08/03/12 09:58 AM Re: It's THURS in US, and was THURS for a long time in Australia [Re: lilylady]

The piano left Braunschweig, Germany 2 weeks ago, flew (I understand on a plane) to Australia, and is now acclimatising to my home. It has a DamppChaser installed now. The temperature here is appreciably higher than at Braunschweig, it's winter now here, but the relative humidity is probably a little lower.

So, the piano will take time to get used to what to expect. Also, the new strings will take time to achieve an equilibrium.

It is good practise to tune a piano more regularly in its early life; that way it stands a good chance of greater stability.

#1936966 - 08/03/12 03:51 PM Re: It's THURS in US, and was THURS for a long time in Australia [Re: lilylady]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Many of us are not 'in tune' with conditions in Australia.

Could you share your temps and relative humidity summer/winter?

Are you still playing night and day? (oh wait...didn't mean the song!)

#1937003 - 08/03/12 05:01 PM Re: It's THURS in US, and was THURS for a long time in Australia [Re: lilylady]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
beautiful instrument. the one i once played was, in a word, orchestral.

#1937055 - 08/03/12 07:06 PM Re: It's THURS in US, and was THURS for a long time in Australia [Re: Entheo]
allthumbs Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hi btsp

Georgeous piano! I am envious you've already have,your piano in place. I've ordered my Sauter Delta, but it will not be here until sometime in September.

I see people are naming their pianos, so I guess I should start thinking of a name. After all if 'she' is going to be my mistress, I should at least name her.

allthumbs

PS - Good on you for returning to piano after all these years. I did the same in 1994 after a 20 year absence and I am loving it.

Edited by allthumbs (08/03/12 07:08 PM)

Single Malts Forever!

#1937068 - 08/03/12 07:57 PM Re: It's THURS in US, and was THURS for a long time in Australia [Re: lilylady]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Greetings Alan and Clara,

Again Alan, Congratulations on the new love in your life. I need to talk to you about something she doesn't need to hear, she'll start developing ill humor.

In private? Good.

Ya know, fine females require lots of maintenance, especially the very refined ones. They always need to feel good about themselves. I don't know why, it just is. I feel ackward asking about your living situation, however, it is important to consider your new significant other. Because she is descendant of royalty, she will require perfection of her environment at all times. The little gift of the Dampp-Chaser system is perfect for her as a start, but merely a bauble. Will she be residing in the surround of a full humidity control system? La Grande Damme should expect it. So, I shall now take my leave with the following parting;

Do ya gotta full HVAC system in yer house?
If ya dont, ya shoodd kensider it!

With my regards,
I am,

#1937102 - 08/03/12 09:42 PM Re: Alan, tell us about your new Grotrian (title change) [Re: lilylady]

I'm just outside Brisbane in the centre of the east coast of Australia (north to south), and about 10 miles inland. The climate is quite temperate.

No HVAC really. There is a front and back door open = V. Heating is by putting another cardigan on (though the A/C has a heating mode which I rarely use), and there is an AirConditioner which goes on when I'm hot. I always put it on "Dehumid" setting, as when it gets hot enough to need the A/C, the humidity is always up too. I turn the overhead fans on low to circulate it through the living area. And I've got a small efficient A/C in the bedroom, and sometimes I'll go in there in the middle of the day - but the piano won't fit.

Winter is generally pleasant (for someone who prefers the cool). This morning was one of our coolest at 37(F), but inside it was 57. Humidity read at 60% on the digital readout inside - not sure how accurate that is, though. It will get to an average winter 70 in the middle of the day - the Weather Bureau Website says it's 31% humidity, but my indicator is reading 45% and 61 degrees inside. That humidity is a bit lower than normal for winter.

Summer seems to go on a cycle of hot to reasonable and back again - maybe 7-10 days in the cycle. The minimum temps 60-70 - with the very rare night 75-80.
Daytime temps range from 75-100, with the vast majority 89-90. Humidity tends to be around 50-60, except when we get a hot north-easterly when humidity would be 80% and temp around 90. Days like that are when the A/C goes on, and it pours water out the drain outside.

Very few homes around here have fireplaces or heaters other than Reverse cycle A/C. I'd guess maybe 1/3 of new homes have airconditioners installed, but often only one room.

As for humidity control systems, I haven't heard of any homes with it installed. Are they like a giant DamppChaser smile ?

#1937105 - 08/03/12 10:01 PM Re: Alan, tell us about your new Grotrian (title change) [Re: backto_study_piano]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Many vast areas of the U.S. and Canada have four distinct seasons. The RH fluctuates dramatically with the seasonal shifts. Pianos don't care for that much. Neither do people or furniture.

The majority of the single family houses use a forced air furnace which can get the air very dry in the winter. Often, or even most often, there is a full house air conditioner which is combined with the furnace unit and uses the same fan. To this can be added a humidifyer which works in conjunction with either function.

The standard term is HVAC - Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning. The modern units are considerably smaller than Clara and are tucked in the basement or a mechanical closet. The units keep the interior climate stable through the seasons.

#1937165 - 08/04/12 04:03 AM Re: Alan, tell us about your new Grotrian (title change) [Re: lilylady]
Jibbers Offline

Congratulations on the new Grotrian!
The dealer is a fairly good technician and should be able to properly service your piano.

I bought my Grotrian from the same dealer 2 years ago and the tuning and regulation work he did when the piano first arrived was fine.

Enjoy your time with Clara!

#1937171 - 08/04/12 04:45 AM Re: Alan, tell us about your new Grotrian (title change) [Re: lilylady]

Jibbers, thanks - I've heard there are a few Cabinet owners in my area. It's good to hear that the service is good. That was the biggest problem with my old piano, and my main concern with a Grotrian was how well it would perform. I had the dealer request the factory for a concert regulation (unlike the fairly ordinary Charis in the showroom), and they delivered.

We're enjoying the time.

#1937172 - 08/04/12 04:57 AM Re: Alan, tell us about your new Grotrian (title change) [Re: lilylady]
BerndAB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Alan, your young Clara is a beauty.

(Seeing your FB pics, I wondered about the question how many layers of wood build the rim... , more than 30..?..)

Most probably you will know this: her grand-grand-grandmother (or so) was once owned by famous concert pianist Clara Schumann, née Wieck (famous piano teacher) and wife of composer Robert Schumann. Clara Schumann's last piano was a Grotrian-Steinweg grand. This concert grand is now in the stock of the Brunswick City Museum. The museum also contains the many historical instruments once bought and owned by Theodor(e) Steinweg/Steinway.

Actually this museum is closed for renovation but is said to re-open in late summer or autumn. I will visit this museum and when seeing the Grotrian concert grand of Clara Schumann I might think about some pianos in Australia. ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clara_Schumann

I wish you years no decennies of fun, pleasure and life enrichment with your beautiful Clara.

D 1877 satin black plain

#1937237 - 08/04/12 09:50 AM Re: Alan, tell us about your new Grotrian (title change) [Re: BerndAB]
Cornelius Offline

Loc: Stuttgart (Germany)
Hi Alan,
congratulations again from a Grotrian owner in Germany to one on the other side of the world. I wish you many years of joy with your new fellow. As a dedicated member of the AFL (Anti Facebook League) I am however interested in seeing pictures of Clara. May you post some here in the forum? Have a good time!

#1937397 - 08/04/12 05:56 PM Re: Alan, tell us about your new Grotrian (title change) [Re: lilylady]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
Magnificent piano! Congratulations. Play something wonderful for the rest of us who are wishing we had your piano.

#1939034 - 08/07/12 10:09 PM Re: Alan, tell us about your new Grotrian (title change) [Re: lilylady]
hoola Offline

Loc: LA, USA
Hello,

I see that the name is Grotrian, does it means that the restriction of using Grotrian-Steinweg is also applied in Australias same as in USA?

Thanks

#1939130 - 08/08/12 01:15 AM Re: Alan, tell us about your new Grotrian (title change) [Re: lilylady]

Yes, so I'm told. Mine says clearly GROTRIAN on the fallboard, plate, in every photo on the brochures and warranty documents.

#1939422 - 08/08/12 03:48 PM Re: Alan, tell us about your new Grotrian (title change) [Re: lilylady]
hoola Offline

Hi Alan,

I guess that you had enough time to have a 1st feeling of Clara now. Please elaborate "a little bit" your snapshot on its sound? How it sounds differently from the Schimmel?

I know it's very difficult to describe the sound, may I use analogy to describe mine: After full regulation and voicing, mine is in the best sound that I never knew before. Now it's like a full-body, mature wine in oak barrel, but when playing at the right volume, it's also sparkling like Champagne. Because mine has some bright, harsh notes previously so we did not play it as it should have been played, so the tonal pallete was limited, but after voicing its tonal color is very vast now. My Cabinet is just 192 cm, yours is 225 cm and the difference is more emphasized. I never heard a Grotrian 225, so I'm very curious.

Thanks

#1939727 - 08/09/12 05:31 AM Re: Alan, tell us about your new Grotrian (title change) [Re: lilylady]

Hi - just a brief response. I really haven't had enough time to crystallise in my mind what's different (had a few things on). I've a much quieter week next week, so hopefully, we'll make music together much more.

It really isn't any louder than the Schimmel - unless I open up all stops. Hang on, it's not a pipe organ - but you get the idea. In fact, I was at a piano party night at the dealer's showroom on Monday, and played the Charis. The dealer has a more active room sound wise - timber floors, no soft furnishings, and I felt the Charis was considerably louder than my new Concert, which is in a carpeted room filled with soft furnishings.

My carpeting is due to be replaced, and I'm tempted to go with a timber floor - and use area mats etc to regulate it. But I'll wait till it's first service in about a month.

That said, it is easier to play pp or ppp on my Concert than either the Charis or the Schimmel - it seems to be slightly easier to control. Maybe not quite as good as a 9' Steinway Hamburg.

Tone wise, it's a cleaner tone than the Schimmel, in some circumstances, a little brighter. Just a bit more pleasant. The very top octave is very clear and bright - almost too much if not careful. But, I'm enjoying using that octave to advantage in improvisation and just fun playing. It's so usable. As usable as the top octave of the 9' Hamburg Steinway. But the 9' had it all over the Concert in bass response. In fact, I don't think the bass is all that much louder than the Schimmel, but a much cleaner sound.

In 2 words - clean and clear.

What I really want is for some great pianist to play it - so I can listen.

Must go - Clara is calling!!!!!

#1940082 - 08/09/12 09:50 PM Re: Alan, tell us about your new Grotrian (title change) [Re: lilylady]
hoola Offline

"clean and clear", now I understand what this means.

We tried 4 Shigeru Kawai, SK-3 (186cm) SK-5 (197cm), SK-6 (212cm) SK-7 (227cm), and surprisingly we liked the smaller models more than the SK-7 (227cm), because we found the SK-7's sound unfamiliar, kind of "clean and clear" to our ears, we have the Cabinet (192 cm) and we found that the smaller models of Shigeru sound more intimate, confortable.

Now I understand: we had that feeling because the difference between our piano (192 cm) and the size 227cm is too big, so we did not know to adapt to new feeling, our way of playing also need to adjust with a much bigger size piano before knowing how to get the best of a bigger piano. And I wish that we could afford a bigger Grotrian, because the bass of our piano is lacking.

Go for timber floor, we are with you :), because of the osmosis between the piano and its surrounding, do timber floor first before any adjustment on the voice.

Thank you, I always look forward to hear your echos on the voice of Clara

#1940261 - 08/10/12 10:32 AM Re: Alan, tell us about your new Grotrian (title change) [Re: hoola]
Cornelius Offline

Loc: Stuttgart (Germany)
Hello Alan
"clean and clear" - that's an astonishing description. I would describe the treble of my Grotrian as well as "clear" but the mid section sounds very "orchestral" and full of harmonics. We have a hard wood parquet floor in our living room and only a very small rug (more to prevent the parquet from damage than to damp down the piano) beneath the Grot. Usually I play with the lid closed or opend only on the short stick. One grand I would describe as "clear and clean" - or "transparent" - was a C.Bechstein C 234 I once had the chance to play. If space wouldn't be a limiting factor I would put money aside for the next hundred years till I could afford one as counterpart to the Grotrian smile. Concerning playing ppp I made the same experience: it's much easier to play the Concert ppp than it was possible on the Cabinet I owned before. On the other hand the accoustic pressure of the Concert seams to be more powerful: windows closed you hear the Concert abundantely clearer in the street than once ago the Cabinet.

#1940566 - 08/10/12 08:35 PM Re: Alan, tell us about your new Grotrian (title change) [Re: Cornelius]
hoola Offline

"orchestral" and full of harmonics...

I believe that Clara can have all these attributes once she is stabilized in the new environment, and a good technician can easily help.

#1940639 - 08/11/12 12:11 AM Re: Alan, tell us about your new Grotrian (title change) [Re: Cornelius]

Originally Posted By: Cornelius
Hello Alan
"clean and clear" - that's an astonishing description. I would describe the treble of my Grotrian as well as "clear" but the mid section sounds very "orchestral" ...

Hi - maybe goes to show that I haven't spent enough time with her.

Volume, from where I sit, isn't loud, not that much different from the 6' Schimmel. And my dog hasn't complained. Nor have the neighbours. Though I've got a great advantage - behind my home is green space, and then an 8 lane motorway. So there is sufficient ambient noise. And even more at the moment - they're still building it, with jackhammers and tractors in the distance even at night (weekends off mostly).

Tone wise - yes, orchestral would describe it well, other than the top 2 octaves. The Schimmel was very much that way, which is probably what attracted me to it. Maybe it complemented my Tinnitus?? But where, particularly when playing louder in the mid keys, the Schimmel could get a bit muddled or less clear with maybe too much harmonics, the Grotrian has better clarity, a more distinctiveness to the primary sounds. This could be because of the duplex scaling on the Schimmel, but not sure. I've yet to hear her played by someone else, so I can hear her maybe clearer.

And mine is on the carpet, which may be changing the tonal characteristics.

Must go - she's calling again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
93 registered (amv256, AZ_Astro, AndrewJCW, Aucha, 25 invisible), 1446 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75908 Members
42 Forums
156876 Topics
2305092 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How does a composer/songwriter learn piano chords?
by amv256
Yesterday at 09:49 PM
The Chair
by Brinestone
Yesterday at 09:44 PM
Baldwin BJ124; Are Baldwins still quality?
by Benn
Yesterday at 07:30 PM
Tuning levers
by AaronM
Yesterday at 07:17 PM
Buying a Piano
by boppy75
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission