Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
129 registered (alans, Anita Potter, 43 invisible), 1637 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1940673 - 08/11/12 01:45 AM portable digital piano
Lingyis Offline
500 Post Club Member

i'm thinking of purchasing a 88-key keyboard with a reasonable piano-like touch and is somewhat portable. is there a consensus "best in class"?

if i were to remove the 88-key criterion, what then would be the "best in class"?

thanks!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1940702 - 08/11/12 04:06 AM Re: portable digital piano [Re: Lingyis]
Harry-in-PA Offline

Loc: Rural Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Lingyis
i'm thinking of purchasing a 88-key keyboard with a reasonable piano-like touch and is somewhat portable. is there a consensus "best in class"?

if i were to remove the 88-key criterion, what then would be the "best in class"?

thanks!

Hi, Lingyis - I'm also looking. Have heard some good things about the Kawai MP6, and even better things about the Kawai MP10. But at 70 lbs, the MP10 seems a bit less than portable.

I'm still using an Ensoniq TS12 for outdoor gigs, but it is old (~1996) and heavy (55 lbs).

#1940707 - 08/11/12 04:20 AM Re: portable digital piano [Re: Lingyis]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Best for portability is the Nord Piano 2 .... but the action is so so ...

#1940710 - 08/11/12 04:26 AM Re: portable digital piano [Re: Lingyis]
Kos Offline

Korg SV-1 73
Nord Pianos a pretty good too, but as mentioned above they use Fatar actions, witch are total crap really.

#1940743 - 08/11/12 08:05 AM Re: portable digital piano [Re: Lingyis]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

What are your approximate price and weight limits?

#1940806 - 08/11/12 11:32 AM Re: portable digital piano [Re: Lingyis]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
There's portable and there's portable. If you just want something two people can move across the room and aren't worried about the money you want an AvantGrand. If you plan to put it in your car and take it to a gig, that's a completely different question.

The fact that you even ask about 76 key keyboards tells me that you are interested in low end, very lightweight keyboards. There aren't any "piano-like" 76 key (or less) keyboards.

Anyway, you have to define "class" more carefully in terms of portability at least. The very best digitals either don't qualify as portable (like the AG and CA65/95) or hardly do (like the RD700NX, MP10, and V-Piano).

Edited by gvfarns (08/11/12 11:33 AM)

#1940811 - 08/11/12 11:41 AM Re: portable digital piano [Re: gvfarns]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: gvfarns
There aren't any "piano-like" 76 key (or less) keyboards.

Nord Electro 3HP and Stage 2-76; Korg SV-1 and Kronos in their 73 versions; Yamaha S70XS.

#1941020 - 08/11/12 07:50 PM Re: portable digital piano [Re: Lingyis]
Lingyis Offline
500 Post Club Member

i'm mainly considering keyboards that i can load into my car; basically, something i can carry around without too much hassel. if i need a friend to help me carry to my car, then it's probably too big.

i guess action-wise, Korg has a good reputation?

oh and price-wise... maybe < $1000? the korg sv 1 is $1500 is probably unnecessary for my purposes, since i do have an acoustic piano. i'm thinking it'll probably for traveling and perhaps performing at parties for fun, plus outputing digital formats to a computer when perhaps i want to record my improv or compose some music.

edit: googling around it seems like most of the pianos recommended here are >= $1500 smile so <$1000 might not be realistic :P

Edited by Lingyis (08/11/12 08:08 PM)

#1941094 - 08/11/12 11:02 PM Re: portable digital piano [Re: Lingyis]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Have you tried the Casio PX130 and PX330?

Their actions are surprisingly good, and at less than 25 pounds, you won't find anything significantly lighter, and very little even close.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#1941105 - 08/11/12 11:29 PM Re: portable digital piano [Re: Lingyis]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)

Errrr... no Korg has a poor reputation. I'd maybe look at the Casio PX-3 or the Kawai MP6

#1941159 - 08/12/12 01:11 AM Re: portable digital piano [Re: ClsscLib]
Kos Offline

IMO, Korg's RH3 action is probably the best you can find in a light-weight portable. They did have problems with some of their keybeds lately though, here are some details.

Originally Posted By: ClsscLib
Have you tried the Casio PX130 and PX330?
Their actions are surprisingly good

That's a good one thumb

Edited by Kos (08/12/12 01:18 AM)

#1941182 - 08/12/12 02:50 AM Re: portable digital piano [Re: Lingyis]
Lingyis Offline
500 Post Club Member

hi guys--i managed to try out a korg ps 250 and actually really liked it. unfortunately it was their only korg. the store had many yamahas and i consistently did not like their actions. they also had nord 2 but i didn't like that either. they probably did have casios but i don't remember if px3 was available. a couple of rolands, on the "workstation end" i think. they didn't have any kawai's.

only thing about the ps 250 is that it appears attached to a frame so would be kind of heavy.

next time i'll make sure to look out for mp6 and px3 and px130.

edit: yeah, i learned that workstation models would be overkill for me, though very nice toys. workstations there are so many features for an "optimizer" like me it'll take a year to figure out which one to pick.

Edited by Lingyis (08/12/12 03:03 AM)

#1941285 - 08/12/12 09:27 AM Re: portable digital piano [Re: Lingyis]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

hi guys--i managed to try out a korg ps 250 and actually really liked it. unfortunately it was their only korg.

As I understand it, there are basically only two weighted actions from Korg... the lower end action in the SP170, and the RH3 action in everything else (SP250, SV1, weighted M50/M3/Kronos).

the store had many yamahas and i consistently did not like their actions.

Yamaha has the lower end GHS action in the P95, MOX8, DGX640 and a heavier (more like RH3) action in the CP33, P155, CP300, CP50. They also have some other actions, like the one in the CP5 (and CP1).

only thing about the ps 250 is that it appears attached to a frame so would be kind of heavy.

It detaches from its stand, but its still 42 lbs which isn't so light.

#1944872 - 08/18/12 02:48 AM Re: portable digital piano [Re: Lingyis]
JcKeys Offline

I Recently got the Sp-170S. I returned it, bocz the keys were making clicking sounds. Very Annoying while playing forte phrases. Then i got the Sp-250. The RH3 action feels firm to play on. The sounds are also great, with a good metronome sound for practice.

But the SP-250 has some serious issues playing softer phrases. Btw some lower velocity range, it triggers a muted, staccato like piano sample & believe me for a pianist it is very ANNOYING. It's like you play a legato phrase & if you aren't hitting the keys hard enough, you are likely to hear some short length notes (like; theres is no decay or release on those notes).

I would really request to people who are buying the KORG SP-250 to play it for a while with Headphones & play @ different dynamics.
I checked this with LP-350 too, and it too has that issue.

I wish to return this and check the Yamaha P-155. If the exchange doesn't work out, then the only solution i have is to attach a sampler/laptop and use an external Piano LIbrary.

I would like to know if any other owners of SP-250 noticed this.

#2034359 - 02/16/13 05:10 PM Re: portable digital piano [Re: Lingyis]
JcKeys Offline

Edited by Ken Knapp (02/16/13 06:11 PM)
Edit Reason: McDonalds has served few people than the number of these duplicate posts I've deleted!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Way to Clean Keys on an Acoustic?
by newbert
58 minutes 34 seconds ago
Interesting Thesis comparing popular methods
by kcoul058
Today at 07:30 PM
As a teacher would this irritate you?
by pianosNpreschooler
Today at 07:13 PM
What do you play for?
by findingnemo2010
Today at 07:07 PM
Nonflammable action lubricant
by showard
Today at 06:05 PM
Forum Stats
77031 Members
42 Forums
159326 Topics
2340423 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission