2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 11 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 274 of 370 1 2 272 273 274 275 276 369 370
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Delighted to hear that all went well, Rossy, and that your mum's recovering. The prognosis now is very good, as I mentioned in my PM.

I just want to pick up a couple of points here from TJ, and my own heart attack brought this home to me - it's not the one who has a heart attack that suffers most from it. Some lifestyle changes are worth considering from the the viewpoint of others.

Also, some lifestyle changes are worth researching first. I also love fatty food and there's a 2.5 million year case study out there promoting saturated fat. Since my own heart attack (and subsequent research) I've avoided anything marketed as low-fat. I've started eating three eggs for breakfast fried in lard, not buying steak without a good half inch of fat on it, taking cream in my coffee instead of milk and spreading Normandy butter thick on all my cooked vegetables. My lipid profile is now excellent and I've recently had my heart medication significantly reduced. Dr Atkins knew his stuff.

Please give my best wishes to your mum.

Richard
Hello all.
I've been reading your lovely messages about Rossy's mum's operation, and its warmed me to the heart. Thank you.

Sometimes it takes us to be shaken up a bit by events to be reminded of what's important in life, and for that I'm grateful.

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Good morning! I wanted to share a few songs this morning. However, I've been having problems getting onto YouTube. I couldn't get onto Facebook either. Anyone else having this problem? Oh well! If time permits, I'll try again later if time permits.

Later!

Carl

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by zrtf90
Delighted to hear that all went well, Rossy, and that your mum's recovering. The prognosis now is very good, as I mentioned in my PM.

Also, some lifestyle changes are worth researching first. I also love fatty food and there's a 2.5 million year case study out there promoting saturated fat. Since my own heart attack (and subsequent research) I've avoided anything marketed as low-fat. I've started eating three eggs for breakfast fried in lard, not buying steak without a good half inch of fat on it, taking cream in my coffee instead of milk and spreading Normandy butter thick on all my cooked vegetables. My lipid profile is now excellent and I've recently had my heart medication significantly reduced. Dr Atkins knew his stuff.

Please give my best wishes to your mum.

I love it- only you, Richard!
You might as well go all the way and forget wearing seat belts and brushing your teeth! smile (kidding)

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ha! He's Back!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! smile

R
R
'Greetings everyone' (copied from Griffin, honestly speakin' grin ). Rossy, I hope your mom is much better now. Please give us some good news about her whenever you're free and relaxed.

In the meantime, I'll carry on my Saturday classical postings. Last week I mentioned about various forms of classical vocal music. Let me introduce one of them today: Thumri. A Thumri is basically a love song (romantic/mortal love or devotional/love for Lord Krishna) of short duration (thus it's actually semi-classical in nature). It expresses a lover's ultimate love, passion and pining in a divine manner when the lyrics is set with a Raaga of proper mood and the ornaments of classical music. Though I can't translate the lyrics of every Thumri in detail, but I think the following performances by Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan (1902-1968) are self-explanatory to convey the fundamental message of Thumri. Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan revolutionized Thumri and Kheyal (another class of CVM, I'll introduce it later) by his own legendary style. His distinctive high-pitch voice and extraordinary skills made him one of the few top most classical vocalists of all time. These are the finest examples of Thumri that I can think of.
[video:youtube]4oJbr6jXfLM[/video][video:youtube]AeMjk1uZLqw[/video]
[video:youtube]scZzivlnyvY[/video]
[video:youtube]OdS6lE1cFEU[/video]
[video:youtube]_-W20p6eoJU[/video]

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Greetings everyone! I've hardly had enough time to keep up with all of these postings this week. I've got just a few more to listen to later today. Rupak, I really enjoyed yesterday's ICM postings. I always learn so much. Thanks.

Rossy, I hope your Mom is having a speedy recovery, and that you are doing well. I'll PM you a bit later.

PPP, I haven't had the chance to check out your post yet because my iPad blocked it. I'll check it out later today on my desktop PC.

Enough of my chatter! It's time to get on with my Sunday classical postings! I'll be right back.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

My first selection today is the "Trumpet Symphony in D Major No. 53" by Franz Xaver Richter. Richter was an Austro-Moravian singer, violinist, composer, conductor and music theoretician who spent most of his life first in Austria and later in Mannheim and in Strasbourg, where he was music director of the cathedral, according to my notes from Wikipedia. He was born December 1, 1709.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

My next selection is "La Stravaganza" Concerto no.2 in E minor, RV 279 by Antonio Vivaldi. The performers are violinist Rachel Podger and Arte dei Suonatori.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
My next selection is "Violin Concerto," Opus 14 - III, Presto by American composer Samuel Barber. This stunning performance is by violinist Hilary Hahn with Hugh Wolff conducting the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra.

This will be my final posting for today. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Last edited by griffin2417; 08/12/12 01:38 PM.

Carl

A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
What I wanted to post was violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter's perfomance of this at Tanglewood's 75th anniversary that I caught on PBS the other night. She was amazing to watch.

We'll have to settle for recordings.

Good posts, everybody, and I hope everyone is well.

Last edited by AimeeO; 08/12/12 02:14 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hya all dudes and dudettes, well here is a quick update for everyone.

My mam is not doing too well at the moment, she is still in hospital and has been dreadfully sick indeed.

Everything she ate ( and that was not what you would call a lot) including just single biscuits she immediately just threw back up, that has been happening since the surgery.
The anti emetics she has been given do not seem to be working at all, and she has not been taking any pain meds for the last couple of days, so it cannot be blamed on anything opiate based.

Naturally they will not even think of letting her out untill she is eating and keeping food down.

Tommorrow they will be taking her over to ( I cant spell this right) Gastroentology unit to see if they can find out what the problem is.

I hope there is an easy fix as I am sure you all do, and I know your thoughts will be with her.

I thought about posting some music, but could not get myself motivated or in the mood, so, I am posting some of my mams favourite music of all time as it seems an appropriate thing to do...

so, first off, Her favourite hymn...

Another piece my Mam loves, and so do I for that matter, I dont care what the "classical purists" whine on about, this is just lovely.......

And finally....

Enjoy folks.

Last edited by Rostosky; 08/12/12 04:23 PM.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Hi Rossy,

I haven't read this thread for a while, and I just saw your post on your mom's hospitalization and read some of the previous ones. I went through something very similar with my mom last year. She had to have major surgery on a cancerous tumor the size of a baseball on her intestines, and there was a lot of throwing up and worse after the surgery. She's doing much better now, although still not cancer free (she is having another procedure next week in fact). I can really sympathize.Hang in there!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks starr keys, glad to see you back, and HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!! I hope you had a really good one and I am sorry I missed sending greetings yesterday, I was really preoccupied.

I wish your mam all the best too and hope she has an easier ride this time round.

You know, this has got me thinking, we are such odd organisms, and in the great scheme of things I do wonder sometimes just what its all about: we are born, we live a while, we grow old, we check out, whats it all about?

Does this amuse the "creator?"

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Rostosky
... I do wonder sometimes just what its all about: we are born, we live a while, we grow old, we check out, whats it all about?...

Ah the big question, Rossy. To which some believe they have an answer.

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Rostosky
: we are born, we live a while, we grow old, we check out, whats it all about?

The hokey-pokey. That's what it's all about.

(this will fall completely flat if the song is unknown outside the US.....)

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

Page 274 of 370 1 2 272 273 274 275 276 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission