Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 183 of 236 < 1 2 ... 181 182 183 184 185 ... 235 236 >
Topic Options
#1939260 - 08/08/12 10:23 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Delighted to hear that all went well, Rossy, and that your mum's recovering. The prognosis now is very good, as I mentioned in my PM.

I just want to pick up a couple of points here from TJ, and my own heart attack brought this home to me - it's not the one who has a heart attack that suffers most from it. Some lifestyle changes are worth considering from the the viewpoint of others.

Also, some lifestyle changes are worth researching first. I also love fatty food and there's a 2.5 million year case study out there promoting saturated fat. Since my own heart attack (and subsequent research) I've avoided anything marketed as low-fat. I've started eating three eggs for breakfast fried in lard, not buying steak without a good half inch of fat on it, taking cream in my coffee instead of milk and spreading Normandy butter thick on all my cooked vegetables. My lipid profile is now excellent and I've recently had my heart medication significantly reduced. Dr Atkins knew his stuff.

Please give my best wishes to your mum.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1939731 - 08/09/12 05:50 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: zrtf90]
Dipsy Offline

Hello all.
I've been reading your lovely messages about Rossy's mum's operation, and its warmed me to the heart. Thank you.

Sometimes it takes us to be shaken up a bit by events to be reminded of what's important in life, and for that I'm grateful.

#1939788 - 08/09/12 09:30 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Good morning! I wanted to share a few songs this morning. However, I've been having problems getting onto YouTube. I couldn't get onto Facebook either. Anyone else having this problem? Oh well! If time permits, I'll try again later if time permits.

Later!

#1939821 - 08/09/12 11:20 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: zrtf90]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: zrtf90
Delighted to hear that all went well, Rossy, and that your mum's recovering. The prognosis now is very good, as I mentioned in my PM.

Also, some lifestyle changes are worth researching first. I also love fatty food and there's a 2.5 million year case study out there promoting saturated fat. Since my own heart attack (and subsequent research) I've avoided anything marketed as low-fat. I've started eating three eggs for breakfast fried in lard, not buying steak without a good half inch of fat on it, taking cream in my coffee instead of milk and spreading Normandy butter thick on all my cooked vegetables. My lipid profile is now excellent and I've recently had my heart medication significantly reduced. Dr Atkins knew his stuff.

Please give my best wishes to your mum.

I love it- only you, Richard!
You might as well go all the way and forget wearing seat belts and brushing your teeth! smile (kidding)

#1940010 - 08/09/12 06:45 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK

#1940011 - 08/09/12 06:46 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1940023 - 08/09/12 07:21 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
TrapperJohn Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

#1940845 - 08/11/12 01:10 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: TrapperJohn]
polyphasicpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ha! He's Back!

#1940854 - 08/11/12 01:40 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! smile

#1940879 - 08/11/12 02:42 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rupak Bhattacharya Offline

Loc: West Bengal, India
'Greetings everyone' (copied from Griffin, honestly speakin' grin ). Rossy, I hope your mom is much better now. Please give us some good news about her whenever you're free and relaxed.

In the meantime, I'll carry on my Saturday classical postings. Last week I mentioned about various forms of classical vocal music. Let me introduce one of them today: Thumri. A Thumri is basically a love song (romantic/mortal love or devotional/love for Lord Krishna) of short duration (thus it's actually semi-classical in nature). It expresses a lover's ultimate love, passion and pining in a divine manner when the lyrics is set with a Raaga of proper mood and the ornaments of classical music. Though I can't translate the lyrics of every Thumri in detail, but I think the following performances by Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan (1902-1968) are self-explanatory to convey the fundamental message of Thumri. Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan revolutionized Thumri and Kheyal (another class of CVM, I'll introduce it later) by his own legendary style. His distinctive high-pitch voice and extraordinary skills made him one of the few top most classical vocalists of all time. These are the finest examples of Thumri that I can think of.

#1941364 - 08/12/12 11:59 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Greetings everyone! I've hardly had enough time to keep up with all of these postings this week. I've got just a few more to listen to later today. Rupak, I really enjoyed yesterday's ICM postings. I always learn so much. Thanks.

Rossy, I hope your Mom is having a speedy recovery, and that you are doing well. I'll PM you a bit later.

PPP, I haven't had the chance to check out your post yet because my iPad blocked it. I'll check it out later today on my desktop PC.

Enough of my chatter! It's time to get on with my Sunday classical postings! I'll be right back.

#1941368 - 08/12/12 12:04 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

My first selection today is the "Trumpet Symphony in D Major No. 53" by Franz Xaver Richter. Richter was an Austro-Moravian singer, violinist, composer, conductor and music theoretician who spent most of his life first in Austria and later in Mannheim and in Strasbourg, where he was music director of the cathedral, according to my notes from Wikipedia. He was born December 1, 1709.

#1941384 - 08/12/12 12:40 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

My next selection is "La Stravaganza" Concerto no.2 in E minor, RV 279 by Antonio Vivaldi. The performers are violinist Rachel Podger and Arte dei Suonatori.

#1941398 - 08/12/12 12:58 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

My next selection is "Violin Concerto," Opus 14 - III, Presto by American composer Samuel Barber. This stunning performance is by violinist Hilary Hahn with Hugh Wolff conducting the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra.

This will be my final posting for today. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Edited by griffin2417 (08/12/12 01:38 PM)

#1941443 - 08/12/12 02:13 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
What I wanted to post was violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter's perfomance of this at Tanglewood's 75th anniversary that I caught on PBS the other night. She was amazing to watch.

We'll have to settle for recordings.

Good posts, everybody, and I hope everyone is well.

Edited by AimeeO (08/12/12 02:14 PM)

#1941504 - 08/12/12 04:21 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Hya all dudes and dudettes, well here is a quick update for everyone.

My mam is not doing too well at the moment, she is still in hospital and has been dreadfully sick indeed.

Everything she ate ( and that was not what you would call a lot) including just single biscuits she immediately just threw back up, that has been happening since the surgery.
The anti emetics she has been given do not seem to be working at all, and she has not been taking any pain meds for the last couple of days, so it cannot be blamed on anything opiate based.

Naturally they will not even think of letting her out untill she is eating and keeping food down.

Tommorrow they will be taking her over to ( I cant spell this right) Gastroentology unit to see if they can find out what the problem is.

I hope there is an easy fix as I am sure you all do, and I know your thoughts will be with her.

I thought about posting some music, but could not get myself motivated or in the mood, so, I am posting some of my mams favourite music of all time as it seems an appropriate thing to do...

so, first off, Her favourite hymn...

Another piece my Mam loves, and so do I for that matter, I dont care what the "classical purists" whine on about, this is just lovely.......

And finally....

Enjoy folks.

Edited by Rostosky (08/12/12 04:23 PM)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1941526 - 08/12/12 05:03 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Starr Keys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: california
Hi Rossy,

I haven't read this thread for a while, and I just saw your post on your mom's hospitalization and read some of the previous ones. I went through something very similar with my mom last year. She had to have major surgery on a cancerous tumor the size of a baseball on her intestines, and there was a lot of throwing up and worse after the surgery. She's doing much better now, although still not cancer free (she is having another procedure next week in fact). I can really sympathize.Hang in there!

#1941534 - 08/12/12 05:15 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Thanks starr keys, glad to see you back, and HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!! I hope you had a really good one and I am sorry I missed sending greetings yesterday, I was really preoccupied.

I wish your mam all the best too and hope she has an easier ride this time round.

You know, this has got me thinking, we are such odd organisms, and in the great scheme of things I do wonder sometimes just what its all about: we are born, we live a while, we grow old, we check out, whats it all about?

Does this amuse the "creator?"

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1941558 - 08/12/12 06:02 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Rostosky
... I do wonder sometimes just what its all about: we are born, we live a while, we grow old, we check out, whats it all about?...

Ah the big question, Rossy. To which some believe they have an answer.

#1941615 - 08/12/12 07:56 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
: we are born, we live a while, we grow old, we check out, whats it all about?

The hokey-pokey. That's what it's all about.

(this will fall completely flat if the song is unknown outside the US.....)

#1941664 - 08/12/12 09:42 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
polyphasicpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You know, this has got me thinking, we are such odd organisms, and in the great scheme of things I do wonder sometimes just what its all about: we are born, we live a while, we grow old, we check out, whats it all about?

Does this amuse the "creator?"

As the token Atheist here I feel compelled to point out that you should never presume an uncaused cause. wink Beyond that I have no logical answers for you Rossy, except to say that when the sheer philosophical weight of reality sets upon me hardest, the best place to take refuge from gaping void it produces is within the enjoyment of the simpler things in life: Backgammon, friends, music, etc. I do wish your mom the best.

I wasn't sure what to post but this always cheers me up, so maybe its appropriate.

#1941722 - 08/13/12 12:27 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: TrapperJohn]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn

Absolutely splendid tj!!

#1941813 - 08/13/12 07:38 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Rossy, I just sent you a PM.

#1941948 - 08/13/12 01:05 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A joke for you,

A bloke walks up to a woman in a bar and says, "Hi i'm Bond". She says, "Don't tell me it's James!?". He says, "No it's Uni, i'm here to fill you're crack!" .....

smile

#1941949 - 08/13/12 01:06 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1941950 - 08/13/12 01:07 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1942112 - 08/13/12 05:18 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
3000 Post Club Member

Rossy - hang tough and keep the faith - I couldn't eat much for a while either - all I wanted to do was drink ginger ale, which seemed to help relieve the nausea - your mom (mam) will be fine in a short time I'm sure...

Trap

#1942120 - 08/13/12 05:31 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
3000 Post Club Member

Who would have thought that vacant and empty chairs could be the common thread between such divergently beautiful songs:

From Ken Burn's "The Civil War" Soundtrack with Country Music star Kathy Mattea on vocal:

From "Les Miserables" Michael Ball as Marius sings of his fallen comrades who used to meet and plan revolution in the local pub:

#1942130 - 08/13/12 06:01 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

@PPP lol smile

#1942517 - 08/14/12 11:56 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
piRround Offline

Loc: Yarmouth, Maine
Keep the faith, Rossy. Some people (myself included) are very sensitive to anesthesia. I was nauseous for days after even simple surgery.

Best of luck to both of you!

Page 183 of 236 < 1 2 ... 181 182 183 184 185 ... 235 236 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
82 registered (36251, ando, Alux, anotherscott, 24 invisible), 1164 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153599 Topics
2251197 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
50 minutes 1 second ago
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
Today at 04:55 AM
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
Today at 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
Today at 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission