2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
A couple of weeks ago I decided to buy an upright. Since I began my piano studies I've been using a digital piano (a really nice privia) and even though it has been great and loyal I need a change. The thing is that finding piano stores here is almost impossible so the only way of getting a piano nowadays is by other families that long time ago bought a piano abroad.

One family offered me a Hofmann-Wien that has 27 years old aprox. I haven't checked it personally and I want your opinion before doing business. What do you guys know exactly about this brand? I have done some research and I have found basically NOTHING. A Hofmann made in Austria? haven't heard something like that before, I'm just a beginner trying to figure out piano brands. The only Hofmanns I know are W. Hoffmann (with double f) and the american brand Hofmann. While doing this research I realized there are more than two Hofmann/Hoffmann brands

One good thing I did find was that for some time the austrian brand Hofmann & Czerny changed their name to Hofmann. Do you think both names ,Hofmann-Wien and Hofmann & Czerny, are related? Because we have also another austrian brand that makes of this problem a big salad: Karl Hofmann

I don't know how much does this help, but this is the piano:
[Linked Image]

The label, which is really difficult to see, is basically like this:
[Linked Image]

...and in the Hofmann & Czerny website there is this non explained picture that is like a clue but I'm not sure enough to drop conclusions:
[Linked Image]

I would really appreciate if you guys help me with this problem of names. Plus if you can give me your personal opinion or experiences related to the brands that are mentioned, it would be awesome. I can afford this piano but I want to make sure that is worth the effort. Thank you smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
There were at least three Hofmann brands coming out of Vienna but very little information on the brands besides that.

As with all lesser-known (or no-name) pianos, don't expect too much, but be open for a pleasant surprise. It mostly comes down to condition, and not brand recognition on these instruments, so you have to physically look at it and play it. If the piano passes that first test, call in a technician to assess its condition.

JG
L
OP Offline
L
Oh thank you for your quick answer ^^ ok, I'll go and check the piano, probably this week. Another question: the serial number is 42754. If we are not sure about the brand, what can I do to find the year when this piano was made? The family that is offering don't know much about the subject. They say the piano is 27 years old, but I'm sure they mean the piano has been for 27 years in the family. Maybe it was already old when they bought it.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Try giving Phil Warfield of Warfield pianos in Catonsville, MD (or maybe Baltimore). He sold Hoffmans and could have some insight of that vintage.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission