2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 11 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 38 of 38 1 2 36 37 38
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Of course pianists want their pianos to be tuned, but that is not a reason for you to tune them, especially if you don't like to tune them! You can leave this "anoying" work to folks like me, who love to tune and love pianos and love music!

ET accomplishes their need of tuning, that's right. But ET is not the only and unique temperament which accomplishes that. ET is only one among hundreds of other ways to correctly tune pianos.

Last edited by Gadzar; 08/13/12 11:27 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gadzar
Of course pianists want their pianos to be tuned, but that is not a reason for you to tune them, especially if you don't like to tune them!

ET accomplishes their need of tuning, that's right. But ET is not the only and unique temperament which accomplishes that. ET is only one among hundreds of other ways to correctly tune pianos.

Rafael:

If you give it a moment of thought, I am sure that you will be able to think of many things that you do not like to do, but do anyway. That is something we have in common.

Something that we do not have in common is believing a piano can be in-tune. It seems bizarre to me to declare that a piano cannot be in-tune, and then to go tune it! Well, maybe not bizarre if you also believe that a piano can be tuned any-which-way...

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well,
25 pages of debate….A subjective phrase such as “in-tune” which can mean something different to almost every person, and that is the simple reality.

The phrase “in-tune” will mean a different mathematical sequence for a chamber music player than it would for a rock guitarist and so on…..
Really when referring to “in-tune” for most it is a reference to the music....is the instrument in-tune with what is being played?

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Dan:

It is clear from the OP and later posts that we are talking about pianos being in-tune. I do not think in-tune is a subjective when it comes to pianos. It all has to do with a piano being in-tune with itself. I do not see how deliberately varying the width of intervals can result in a piano being in-tune with itself.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
Dan:

I do not see how deliberately varying the width of intervals can result in a piano being in-tune with itself.

Does this mean that you don't apply any stretch whilst tuning? This is the only way that all intervals could have the same width, surely?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

I do not see how deliberately varying the width of intervals can result in a piano being in-tune with itself.

Is this not what we obtain when tuning with different temperament sequences? I believe your focus is too narrow to ET in the belief that those particular intervals are considered “in-tune”.

It is just that someone else may not have the opinion that those particular intervals as being “in-tune” for them.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pyropaul
Dan:

Does this mean that you don't apply any stretch whilst tuning? This is the only way that all intervals could have the same width, surely?

I tune with pure 12ths and any change in the other intervals is not deliberate, it is natural. But what I do isn't important. What those that deliberately tune various width intervals, in order to obtain a UT, is a different thing altogether.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Silverwood Pianos

Is this not what we obtain when tuning with different temperament sequences? I believe your focus is too narrow to ET in the belief that those particular intervals are considered “in-tune”.

It is just that someone else may not have the opinion that those particular intervals as being “in-tune” for them.

I agree that different ET sequences can result in slightly different tunings, especially when made near or across a break. But the difference is not deliberate. It is an artifact.

But you mention "particular intervals." If these "particular intervals" are deliberately tuned to different widths in order to produce a UT, then how could the piano to be in-tune with itself?

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well Jeff,

In theory no piano is in tune with itself. They are in tune with the application to be used on that piano. If the application requires a Victorian or some other type of early music temperament then that would be considered in-tune with itself.

As technicians we know that a piano is deliberately tuned out of tune, out of pure so to speak...so all the keys sound good.

Expand this a little; what was considered in-tune 200 years ago. It certainly wasn’t ET. But the pianos of the day were considered “in-tune”

They were considered in-tune for the application applied.

Times change. So does the knowledge of certain things as we evolve...

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Silverwood Pianos
Well Jeff,

In theory no piano is in tune with itself. They are in tune with the application to be used on that piano. If the application requires a Victorian or some other type of early music temperament then that would be considered in-tune with itself.

As technicians we know that a piano is deliberately tuned out of tune, out of pure so to speak...so all the keys sound good.

Expand this a little; what was considered in-tune 200 years ago. It certainly wasn’t ET. But the pianos of the day were considered “in-tune”

They were considered in-tune for the application applied.

Times change. So does the knowledge of certain things as we evolve...

"Times change. So does the knowledge of certain things as we evolve..."

Yes! And isn't that waht happened with the evolution of temperments? What was in-tune then is not what is in-tune today. And for good reason, too!

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
K
K
Hello there,

I am violinist and retired.
Now I have lot of time and I discovered a new temperament.
Using Microsynth I recorded one example and if you have some free time,please listen and tell me if do you like.

Thanks

Mr Dimitrov

Email: latchezar_d@yahoo.com

https://app.box.com/s/ub3uaub0ct17rcecdd607wx11phixl68

Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kajok
Hello there,

I am violinist and retired.
Now I have lot of time and I discovered a new temperament.
Using Microsynth I recorded one example and if you have some free time,please listen and tell me if do you like.

Thanks

Mr Dimitrov

Email: latchezar_d@yahoo.com

https://app.box.com/s/ub3uaub0ct17rcecdd607wx11phixl68

Any particular reason why you posted in this thread?

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Beemer
[...] Any particular reason why you posted in this thread?

Ian

I agree. Instead of dredging up this train wreck of a thread, why don't you please start a new thread? The performance in the recording is very enjoyable. I wonder, though... How did you get wobbly unisons from Microsynth? Is this a feature? (DON'T ANSWER THAT, unless you start a new thread!!!)

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
Page 38 of 38 1 2 36 37 38

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission