2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Recital #27 is now open for submissions!

Believe it or not, our 27th quarterly Piano World Adult Beginners Forum recital approaches! smile The recital will be posted some time on the 15th of August, which means that the submissions must be in by 9:00 pm Eastern Daylight Time, August 14. Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added.

While any and all styles of music are welcome, we do ask that it be piano related. Only one recording may be submitted per forum member (although that recording may consist of a medley of two or more very short related pieces).

If you are fairly new to the piano, please do not be intimidated by some of the talent here in the ABF. We all consider ourselves to be beginners even though we may have been playing for some time. And, we LOVE to hear recordings from folks new to the keyboard. So even if you’re on your first Alfred’s method book, we would *really* enjoy hearing from you. heart

Recital submissions must be in MP3 format. The maximum size of the file is 20 MB. We recommend encoding the recording at 192 kbs with a constant bitrate, as that works best with the online streaming player. At that bitrate, a 20 MB file works out to be about 7 minutes in length. Your recording will be normalized when placed in the consolidated zip files, but your original link will still be available for those who want it.

If you are new to recording your music, there are several threads in the forum archives that address the ways and means. See the "Important Topics in the AB Forum" thread stickied at the top of the AB forum page. Audacity is an excellent free recording application that can be used.

Submitting Your Recording:

We will be using again the absolutely marvelous automatic web-based recital program that mahlzeit wrote for us. You will upload your mp3 file to the recital server as part of the recital submission process.

When you have your mp3 file ready, go to:

https://recitals.pianoworld.com/

and follow the instructions there. Please note that this URL reflects our new permanent home for all the recital files. Once you have uploaded your info to the automated recital software, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. You will have the opportunity to revise your submission any time up until the deadline. If you have any problems at all using the new website, or if you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within a few hours, just PM me. If you have not participated in past recitals using this software, you may want to submit your recital piece at least a day in advance in case you run into any problems with it.

The recital website uses the following submission template to be filled out along with your attached music file. You may want to have your responses to these fields prepared in advance so all you have to do is cut and paste:

Performer's Name: {forum ID and real name if you’d like}
Where you are located: {optional}
Experience: {Yrs/Mos of piano playing experience}
Link to YouTube or other video: {optional}
Home page link: {optional}
Title of piece/composer:
Source of music: {sheet music, improvised score, play-by-ear, etc}
Instrument used: {Piano make, keyboard model, etc.}
Recording method: {audacity, Zoom, digital to PC, etc.}
Constructive technical feedback wanted: {Yes/No}
Additional Info: {Your thoughts on the piece, what you had for lunch, etc.}

The due date for all submissions is 9:00 pm US EASTERN DAYLIGHT TIME on August 14, 2012.

Did I mention that the 9:00 pm deadline was firm?

Think "consistency of concrete." smokin

By submitting a piece to the recital, you are certifying that it is a recording of your own performance.

Again, the recital order will be presented in the order the pieces were received, so the sooner you send in your piece, the higher you will be on the list! You can revise your entries on the template (e.g., thoughts about your piece, adding YouTube links, and the like) any time and not lose your place in the recital queue, but if you resubmit your recording at any time, for any reason, you will be bumped to the end of the list.

Should anyone have any questions at all on what to do or how to do it, this is the place to ask. Remember, there are NO stupid questions, as we have a steady flow of new members in AB forum for whom this is their first recital, so your questions will probably help to eliminate other members’ problems. Please ask away! smile

Let's all go out and brave that Red Dot and share a lot of beautiful music! thumb

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I just woke up in the middle of the night, saw that it's open and Woot! In at place 1 again??!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Next time, though, Wouter, I won't make the mistake of opening the recital before posting the Call For Submissions. smokin

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Ah, ok nice, thanks for that!

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
And Monica, you have the luxury to post at any place you want. What place do you pick this time?

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Monica I see a few small issues

(1) if I use a è in my title of the submitted piece (pièces de clavecin), I get to see weird characters

(2) I already see this recital on the list of closed recitals (http://recitals.pianoworld.com/closed-recitals.php) and also in the wrong place (between 25 and 26)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In at no 4 this time. I recorded this a few weeks ago and was hoping to record something a little more recent, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen this summer...

(*shakes fist at beautiful summer weather spoiling my practice and recording sessions!!)

grin

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I guess I gave you my spot Ben. I changed my mind on my submission at the last moment and submitted something else.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

D
D
twin Bach submissions from me and daughter....

We have a recording of daughter - but will try for a better one as it has lots of dog 'tap dancing on wooden floor' noise in the background! My contribution is yet to be recorded - but will be soon!

(I have a sneaking suspicion I'm about to be upstaged as Bach is very much my 'weak' suit and daughters 'strong' suit!)

Parent....
Orchestral Viola player (stictly amateur)....
Hack Pianist.... (faded skills from glory days 20 yrs ago)
Vague Guitar & Bass player.... (former minor income stream 15 yrs ago)
Former conductor... (been a long time since I was set loose with a magic wand!)

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Okay, I did it, I submitted a super short very tentative recording! This morning I tried to record it again to improve the dynamics and add the repeat part, but I couldn't hit a right key for the life of me! I still don't know how I managed to get a single decent recording.

Please bear with me, I've been plink plonking on the keyboard for less than 6 months. There are a few other pieces that I seem to be able to play from start to end but the Red Dot still gives me the shivers!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ok, I'm in! I sended a piece of Helen Jane Long.
This time I wasn't deeply "in love" with the piece but I wanted to do a (short!) break in my studies of Einaudi.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Not sure I'm going to get in this time. I've just been far too busy frown

I'll try to submit something short and sweet if I have the time.

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I am in at #17. There is always this burst of submissions when the recital first opens - it's great to see how eager people are to share their performances.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index

Originally Posted by wouter79
Monica I see a few small issues

(1) if I use a è in my title of the submitted piece (pièces de clavecin), I get to see weird characters

(2) I already see this recital on the list of closed recitals (http://recitals.pianoworld.com/closed-recitals.php) and also in the wrong place (between 25 and 26)

(1) Yeah, international symbols give the software some problems. I'm not able to fix that.

(2) The recital is very much open, as attested by our 17 submitted pieces thus far. Don't sweat it. smile

Originally Posted by wouter79
And Monica, you have the luxury to post at any place you want. What place do you pick this time?

Probably dead last, as it doesn't look like I'll have time to do a recording session before going out of town. grin

You are absolutely correct that I have an unfair advantage in that I, and I alone, know exactly when the recital will open. For that reason, I deliberately refrain from submitting my recordings first, even on the occasions I'm actually ready. I started managing the recitals with #7, and you can go back through numbers 7-26 and see where I've placed if you want to double-check.

I feel everybody but the admin should have an equal shot at making it in for number 1, which is why I tweaked you for submitting before the call for submissions was posted--and why I'll make sure to close that loophole in the future.

N
N
I've decided (or rather had decided for me) to try a new challenge. I'm going to start, practice, and record a new piece in the next two weeks. I've been doing a LOT of sight reading over the last couple of months and haven't focused on any new pieces.

Nothing like a deadline to focus the attention!

Actively working on:
Bach - Two-part Invention No. 14
Chopin - Prelude in E minor - Op. 28, No. 4
Notenbuch für Nannerl - Tempo di menuetto in F (Anonymous)

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Ok, I am in. I couldn't listen to check my piece / Monica, I have sent you and email to ask if you would kindly verify that it is ok, and if not, to help me out.

Thanks again, and always to Monica for her efforts and to all the others who have worked and contributed to make these recitals the great success they are!!!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
>and you can go back through numbers 7-26 and see where I've placed if you want to double-check.

Thanks, I don't feel any need to check you. On the contrary, as admin you are doing all the hard work. If anybody deserves to end up 1 a few times it would be you right?

Your recording uploaded fine, casinitaly. Good to go! thumb

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Thanks again, and always to Monica for her efforts and to all the others who have worked and contributed to make these recitals the great success they are!!!

+1 smile

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission