2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 180 of 341 1 2 178 179 180 181 182 340 341
J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Scott: Never knew about that Herbie disk. I may have to check it out.

Hearing Chick and Herbie would be great. I heard them play a concert together in Chicago many many moons ago. They recorded an album from that tour. My recollection is that it was fantastic.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Scott, clearly you got the bop idiom down. You even have it down uptempo. So that was impressive. Whatever style of playing one chooses, when you master it, it really makes you shine. Maybe we don't hear you much with bop tunes because we're always doing the unusual tunes like Naima, etc. that are not suited to the bop idiom. Perhaps you should be posting music that fits more often as we're seeing a hidden side of you.

I guess it's like me playing over bop tunes. It sounds different then when I play over Body and Soul. Like different approaches it seems.

I've never even realized how far I've gone with developing my bebop sensibilities. I may have erred here in skipping this portion of my education. I lack that side of the vocabulary to broaden my sound.

Among our little group here, probably no one else is bebop oriented.

Beeboss - I don't think you sound like a bop player either smile (though I know you love that era).

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Scott Coletta
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy

It's the middle C. Maybe it was the placement of the mic, but that note is muffled (less harmonics, softer) than the other notes you're playing in the RH. So, not tuning, but could be just a misaligned hammer. There could be others, but that was the first one that I heard.

Thanks Scep, I'll check it out.

Actually, I think it was the C below middle C--probably at or close to the tenor break on your piano, and in that case those are tricky to get to sound like the surrounding scale.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Scep, you never warn us that you've got new recordings posted on you box.net. I'll check it out.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Scep! Nice energetic Solar(#1). Impressed with your unisons! You don't sound bebopish either though the vocabulary is there a little (unlike complete absence in mine). Great work. That a jam? BTW - each one of you plays an interesting variation on the head. Some copying may be necessary (by me) smile.

The Solar #2 has an even better feel. The relaxed swing is really happening.

Very pretty version of Body and Soul and I loved that unusual rhythmic feel for solo piano. Your acoustic touch is really good. I think that your playing sounds really good and melodic with less 16ths then this proves it. thumb

Last edited by jazzwee; 10/31/11 03:18 PM.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by jazzwee

Beeboss - I don't think you sound like a bop player either smile (though I know you love that era).

I love everything from Jelly Roll Morton through to Aaron Parks and Tigran Hamasyan. I don't really gravitate towards bop, and if I do have a preferred style it would be an ECM vibe I think. I do believe it is important as far as possible to assimilate the older styles of jazz language but I have no time for jazz that tries to recreate times past, I want to hear something fresh and new and would like to play in that way if I am able to. Obviously all players should be able to improvise well over bop compositions but I really prefer players who don't play the bop cliches. In my own playing I really hate some of these cliches but often I can't stop them coming out, I fear some run too deep to eradicate them. What would be perfect would be to know and be able to play all the cliches but then to be able to choose not to actually play them.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Scep!
Very pretty version of Body and Soul and I loved that unusual rhythmic feel for solo piano. Your acoustic touch is really good. I think that your playing sounds really good and melodic with less 16ths then this proves it.

I enjoyed the vibe on that one as well. Nice.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss

I love everything from Jelly Roll Morton through to Aaron Parks and Tigran Hamasyan. I don't really gravitate towards bop, and if I do have a preferred style it would be an ECM vibe I think. I do believe it is important as far as possible to assimilate the older styles of jazz language but I have no time for jazz that tries to recreate times past, I want to hear something fresh and new and would like to play in that way if I am able to. Obviously all players should be able to improvise well over bop compositions but I really prefer players who don't play the bop cliches. In my own playing I really hate some of these cliches but often I can't stop them coming out, I fear some run too deep to eradicate them. What would be perfect would be to know and be able to play all the cliches but then to be able to choose not to actually play them.

I hear you and as you already know, I sound pretty unusual (though I never realized it before). But you've assimilated bop and made choices. I haven't even done that.

I asked my teacher about this and he said that I need to master it because it is part of what jazz is. He also told me to start working on Walking bass (a neglected area). Not necessarily Walking and soloing but walking plus comping.

Now obviously I haven't gravitated towards bop and I don't think my teacher implied it as negative, but maybe as a way to inform my choices. By the similar token, someone only into bop may need to explore other territories too to expand their knowledge.

BTW - Beeboss, since you're talking about the ECM Vibe, KJ really draws a lot from bop. Really heavily actually. Something absent in let's say, Brad Mehldau. Brad will pull from Bop as he needs but in his regular playing he's moved on. I was listening to his version of Solar and this one clearly he did with bop roots.

My Jazz Blog

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Hey I wanted to share this... I'm living for 4 months in France without piano so I got myself a melodica and a keyboard! Been trying to bend notes and hopefully achieve some arabic touch.
Here's Caravan.

http://www.box.net/files#/files/0/f/144203162/1/f_1076805294

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KlinkKlonk
Hey I wanted to share this... I'm living for 4 months in France without piano so I got myself a melodica and a keyboard! Been trying to bend notes and hopefully achieve some arabic touch.
Here's Caravan.

http://www.box.net/files#/files/0/f/144203162/1/f_1076805294

Link doesn't work Klink.

My Jazz Blog

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Hmm do I have to pay at box.net to be able to link it direct?
Try this I guess.
http://www.box.net/shared/6mru3nm1bgaqk0u4svc7

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
det fungerar toppen!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Klink,
I really liked that. You get great sound out of the melodica. Very well played. Did you play some kind of horn instrument before?

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KlinkKlonk
Hmm do I have to pay at box.net to be able to link it direct?
Try this I guess.
http://www.box.net/shared/6mru3nm1bgaqk0u4svc7

That is so cool sounding! You sound like a horn player.

Sounds like you have pretty strong bebop roots too.

Obviously you had to mic the melodica in but the rest of the sound is so clean that it sounds like they were recorded directly without a mic. So how did you record it?

Pretty funny ending smile

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I did another version of Skylark for youtube
You can find it here if you like.....

http://youtu.be/K2j4IHB6W9g

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
You surely got the ECM Vibe there Beeboss thumb Even, the active switching from melodic to harmonic playing that KJ often does. Very nice.

You forgot your pencil...

My Jazz Blog

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Yes it was very beautiful Dave B. All those transcriptions you did of KJ must have infiltrated into your thinking process.
You threw everything at it - nice juxtaposition of scales, repeated motifs, repeated notes, blues.
One of my favourites amongst your vids.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks, glad you liked it

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Thanks Knotty and JW. I don't play any horn instrument but I think the melodica is a great learning tool for phrasing and breathing beetwen phrases and it's fun! You should get one, they're not very expensive.

Anything but the melodıca is midi and loops from Logic and Garageband.

Interesting remark about bebop, I think the melodica lends itself more to lyrical playing. It's so nice to be able to hold long notes! Harder to phrase it like bebop, easy to run out of air. smile

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Klink, I found the Ipad Garageband pretty much can be the equivalent of a melodica (minus the breathing). I was thinking of even plugging it into an amp for a gig smile People might find it entertaining. Piano sound is actually good. Plus the backing track can be built right in there. Or I attach a little AKAI Midi keyboard which is EXACTLY the size of a melodica (feels like it too - squishy keys smile ).

I guess when you don't have a piano around you'll try everything. I got it because I went on a cruise and had nothing to play on.

My Jazz Blog

Page 180 of 341 1 2 178 179 180 181 182 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission