2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 268 of 341 1 2 266 267 268 269 270 340 341
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by jazzwee

But legato still needs work. That's a lifetime of work there. All articulation is I suppose. Beeboss truly honed in this early on. He's been talking about this (articulation) for years, including dynamics in jazz.

Yes it does need work, forever. On a piano what have you got - note on note off and velocity of attack (and if one forgets about the pedals) nothing else. All the things that we regard as desirable - pearly fast notes, voicings where melody comes through, a singing tone, a deep swing, a rhythmic drive - all these have to be achieved by subtle manipulation of just these few variables.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Finger independent legato though seems to be fundamental to the jazz sound. Probably needs to be mastered first (to some degree since it may take beyond a lifetime to get to KJ's legato).

As I'm writing this, I'm icing my hand as it got strained from overpractice of thumb over-under legato last week. I actually LOST legato when I played last probably because my thumb hurts. (Yes I realize that it got strained because I was doing something wrong).

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by chrisbell
The piano is a staccato instrument, it's percussive by nature, whereas a wind instrument is naturally legato, breathe out and move those valves/keys.

So I prefer the school of playing that Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett, etc belongs to.

Hi Chris
Is this what the Bill Evans biography refers to when it mentions that Bill developed a way to deal with the instantly decaying nature of a note ?

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by beeboss
Originally Posted by custard apple

So Dave, for playing triplets, could I please confirm that I could accent either the 1st, 2nd or the 3rd note of a triplet ?

Start with accenting the first until you are very comfortable at a medium speed. It is hard to accent the others, especially at tempo. Ultimately it is best to be able to accent any one you wish to bring out and there are lots of cool cross-rhythms that you can do accenting say every 4th triplet.

OK Dave, I'll start with accenting the first of every 3 notes when I practise triplets.
In a long string of triplets, is it better to accent every 6 notes ?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The piano is a staccato instrument, it's percussive by nature, whereas a wind instrument is naturally legato, breathe out and move those valves/keys. So I prefer the school of playing that Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett, etc belongs to.

Hi Chris
Is this what the Bill Evans biography refers to when it mentions that Bill developed a way to deal with the instantly decaying nature of a note ?
Well, he was trained in the Russian school of playing (Heinrich Neuhaus amongst others) as he played a lot of Chopin one must assume he was familiar with Cortot's exercises. So I assume he applied all that knowledge as he moved into jazz. Don't forget that Evans practised alot, mythology says up to 18 hours a day.

Interesting, this discussion concerning Legato, touch etc we've had earlier, albeit in a different manner.

Last edited by chrisbell; 08/12/12 05:00 AM.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

OK Dave, I'll start with accenting the first of every 3 notes when I practise triplets.

If you are doing it as an exercise then do it both ways. If you are actually playing music then do whatever you think the music demands at that moment.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

Well, he was trained in the Russian school of playing (Heinrich Neuhaus amongst others) as he played a lot of Chopin one must assume he was familiar with Cortot's exercises. So I assume he applied all that knowledge as he moved into jazz. Don't forget that Evans practised alot, mythology says up to 18 hours a day.

I have just started on the Pettinger biog, these details are not in there. Just curious what your sources are.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi Knotty
For D7s in general I tend to use mixolydian. But I know you like me using lydian dominant, so I've used that too.
For Take the A train, I use lydian dominant as that is the sound intended by the head.

Depends where the D7 is. But if it's not part of the 2-5-1, then it's a good bet that lydian dominant is a better choice. So that's a good one to practice.
All the things you are is not such a good one for that, but What is this thing called love it. Stella, Beautiful Love, etc...

Thanks very much for your quest in trying to make my workload easier, much appreciated smile

you're funny wink

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Yeah good point Knotty. While the b9 sound can often sound too out in the middle of a 2 5 1 progression, it is very handy for negotiating dominants that aren't part of a 2 5 1.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Yeah good point Knotty. While the b9 sound can often sound too out in the middle of a 2 5 1 progression, it is very handy for negotiating dominants that aren't part of a 2 5 1.

Hmmm. You may need to transcribe lots of Bill Evans. He's a b9 kind of guy.

My Jazz Blog

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Are you talking about lydian dominants for a major progression which are
not part of a chromatic sequence; and
on beats 1 or 3 ?

Do you regularly yourself like to use the lydian dominant for a major 2 5 1 progression ?

I might have to seriously transcribe something Bill Evans.
Next up on my list for studying is melodic minor: Cannonball's Autumn Leaves suggested by Chris.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by beeboss

If you are doing it as an exercise then do it both ways. If you are actually playing music then do whatever you think the music demands at that moment.

Thank you Dave !

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
if you want to use color on a 2-5-1, a very easy way is to use a tritone substitution. Play Db7 instead of G7 and all of a sudden you've got yourself some color. You don't even need to learn a new scale, extension or anything. Free.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Knots
Only recently have I become confident with using tritone subs. I love the slightly out sound and their smooth voice leading properties so much that I hope I do not become in danger of over-using them smile

For the last line of the bridge on ATTYA, I've been changing scales.
F# min 7 b5: A Blues scale
B7 (tritone subbed as F7) : I use F7 scale (Bb maj scale)
E maj 7: E maj scale

I hope you're OK with this approach.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Why do the tritone sub on a minor ii-V? Minor ii-V has colors already. We just discussed the zillions of scale options there. Think of it on MAJOR ii-V.

My Jazz Blog

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
It is for the E maj sequence.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Here's the one thing that doesn't work over B7, it's Bbmaj7. But almost. If you use your favorite F lydian dominant over the B7, then you have yourself the fancy B altered scale, which is also C melodic minor.

But the point is that once you got the lydian dominant down, you get good bang for your buck.

So you have lots of ways to think about one given scale, but in my view, some approaches are just easier than others.

You can also experiment with arpeggios and extended arpeggios, substituting one dom7 for another.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
I would change that to "cus gets good bang for her buck" from your advice.
Yeah you're right, if you consider the whole progression as E maj, the Bb doesn't work. Whereas your suggestion of lydian dom, or C mel minor, works really well.

But if you consider the local measure of F7, the Bb maj is the perfect fit.

However I'm in the process of training myself to think of the bigger picture, because I think that is what Bill Evans does from the Touch of your Lips video that you recommended.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
That Bill Evans interview is dynamite for sure.

Halberstadt has a very good method for finding "most consonant" scales. Do you have that book? Anyway, it just works out that way that the tritone sub scales just matches the altered scale (super locrian). I think it's a decent trick. find what works for you.

If you want real outside sound, check out Dave's video on playing outside. That should keep you busy for the next 25 years or so ... wink

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hey Knotty
No I don't have the Halberstadt book. Does the book give practical exercises ?
I have watched Dave's video and at the moment it's too advanced for me. I'm ready to play just a bit out but not way out.

Also I'm going to change all my dominant chords that I've altered to the dim. The dim chord to me is too sinister a sound for ATTYA, do you agree ?

Page 268 of 341 1 2 266 267 268 269 270 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission