2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 222 of 341 1 2 220 221 222 223 224 340 341
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
When I think of minor blues, I just play Mr. PC smile

Or even Footprints.

But there's so much possibilities with chromatic chords (like in Stolen Moments), that it's actually a fun form.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
When I think of minor blues, I just play Mr. PC smile

Or even Footprints.

But there's so much possibilities with chromatic chords (like in Stolen Moments), that it's actually a fun form.

What do you mean by chromatic chords? Did you mean diatonic?

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
From the B section: [Linked Image]

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
If you listen to Herbie play Footprints, for example, you will see chromatic movement in the chords.

Cm7-C#m7-Cm7-Bm7 etc...

It just opens up possibilities.

Unfortunately, not enough time to do this on Mr. PC at 240bpm...

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I was just playing stolen moments in a big band the other day and was noticing that it has a rather unexpected major 7th chord in it. If you listen closely you can hear it in the 2nd half of the 4th bar. genius

at 17 seconds in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I777BcgQL9o

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chrisbell

You're such a Finale 'power user'. wink

Yes, I realize this section is chromatic, but I'm not sure I'd base my accompanying scales or solo on that movement. I think it provides much more harmonic interest to keep on the blues scale, choosing the notes that would fit the chromatic stuff underneath, rather than playing four different blues scales.

I've got to check out the Herbie version to see what JW is talking about.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Highly disagree with you on that Scep.

Playing a blues scale is not the only way to around it. Nor is playing a predictable chromatic movement either. First of all this is minor blues and a tune like Footprints for example can be thought of either in a minor blues context or a modal context.

So I know you will be critical if I play a blues and start substituting chords around it. But it's something I learned and can actually be fun when the bass player starts listening to you and takes similar chromatic approaches. It's happened a lot to me now and it's opened up what I play. Sometimes it works even when unexpected.

This is why I like minor blues a lot. There's a lot more to learn on my end. But I'm just starting to break down the logic of 1-b3-b5-5-b7 on minor blues. I was playing it a moment ago and was mostly playing extensions. A big no-no to you I'm sure.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I just have to bring this back again because it's such an eye opener. I know he's talking about melody but the real thing that's interesting is what he's playing. If I didn't pay attention to the LH, I would not have any idea that he was playing F Blues.

man, this guy hears things I can't even begin to imagine. This is not your father's Blues Scale...(or 'Chevrolet' as the old commercial goes).

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

So I know you will be critical if I play a blues and start substituting chords around it.

Why would I?!? I'm only critical of things that don't sound like they make any musical sense.

Originally Posted by jw

This is why I like minor blues a lot. There's a lot more to learn on my end. But I'm just starting to break down the logic of 1-b3-b5-5-b7 on minor blues. I was playing it a moment ago and was mostly playing extensions. A big no-no to you I'm sure.

Extensions of what exactly? Are you talking about extending a scale or the chord notes from the chromatic passage?

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I think we look at music differently. I'm hearing things differently. I'm not able to express it yet but I predict that over the long haul, I will sound different. Though maybe with a clearer intent than today.

You once told me to transcribe myself and so I just examined briefly what I do, and a little revelation occurred. I understood why I was doing things differently. Though not consistently.

I think the idea of horizontal playing is starting to hit my ears but I wasn't completely ready. When I stop questionning myself my intent will be more clear. You may disagree with my musical message though. And that's fine.

But it was in playing minor blues that I felt that I did NOT want to play chord tones.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy
Originally Posted by chrisbell

You're such a Finale 'power user'. wink
Actually this is not me doing my power-finale-thingie, but me doing my power-realbook_I-screenshot-thingie. The tune is in Realbook I. smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
How many here have attended the Aerbesold summer camp?
If attended, how was it?
If not, heard any story?
Anyone here going this year?

Other thoughts?
I need a vacation this summer, I'm between this and golf so far :-)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A friend of mine teaches a week there each year, he says it's great fun, good teachers, great vibes, a mixture of late teens to seniors - well organized.

I would love to go, a bit far to go for a week - maybe take the two weeks . . .

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Maybe take the opportunity to visit the area (basically, drink Bourbon). Or stop by NYC or something.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Hey Knotty, I was comparing Aebersold Workshop to the Port Townsend Centrum one (over by Scep), and the Centrum one requires you to send audition tapes. I wonder if that filters out the crowd differently.

Also it was specifically noted on the Centrum one that piano slots are limited (they turn people away). I guess that makes sense. Only one piano per ensemble while there could be multiple horns, guitars.

These things look like fun vacation things. I wonder if serious players actually consider learning from these.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'm thinking there would be at least a few good players there. At least a good bass player and drummer.

It does sound like a fun vacation. It's 400 people each week. I don't know if they turn down people or no, but 800 is all is quite a good number.

Let me look at that centrum thing.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I think the idea of horizontal playing is starting to hit my ears but I wasn't completely ready. When I stop questionning myself my intent will be more clear. You may disagree with my musical message though. And that's fine.

But it was in playing minor blues that I felt that I did NOT want to play chord tones.

I'm interested in what this sounds like. Post something so we can have a more concrete idea about what you're actually doing. From what I read it appears that you are playing the minor blues scale but avoiding any notes that might be chord tones, but I don't think this is what you actually mean.

In any case, Stolen Moments appears to be a modal tune, and not based on a blues scale... I mean just play the melody...it's not a like Work Song or Birks works, etc.
However, since someone (you?) said that you can just use the blues scale to play over the changes I just went with that and suggested that the chromatic changes that occur are not a directive to change the scale that you'd use on top.

But, to be clear, it's much, much, much easier to hear what you have in mind, rather than having you try to write about the process. Post something when you have a chance.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey Knotty, I was comparing Aebersold Workshop to the Port Townsend Centrum ....I wonder if serious players actually consider learning from these.

I recall some years back that there were some real heavy-weight players that go to these things, but I have no idea these days. Back in the day it was a great way to network and have a chance to play with stellar players that all seemed to congregate there.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss
I was just playing stolen moments in a big band the other day and was noticing that it has a rather unexpected major 7th chord in it. If you listen closely you can hear it in the 2nd half of the 4th bar. genius

at 17 seconds in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I777BcgQL9o

You know, I often wonder if mistakes sometimes just get left in and then become part of the song. Not saying that the maj doesn't sound good, but I really do wonder if genius was at play, or just some tired sax player was misreading his part and then Nelson going "hey! keep that in!"

I'm give them all a call and check. wink

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
For those that are interested, here's a nice discussion of the basic minor blues changes and many possible additions and substitutions: http://www.jazzguitar.be/minor_blues.html

The author does a nice job of showing the step my step process by which jazz takes something simple and makes it as complex as possible.

Page 222 of 341 1 2 220 221 222 223 224 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission