2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 58 of 106 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 105 106
B
B
Congratulations to Mark. I remember that feeling, after my first real tuning, it was so nice.

Today I made some wounded strings, tuned one old upright of my own which is for sale, did some action repairs on it, and planted 4 plants around my workshop.

Bojan Babic
piano technician and tuner
Sid, Vojvodina, Serbia
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Well, I am making a come back, I think? Tuned 7 today. Did three, 9' concert tunings, tuned 2 Yamaha U1's, 1 Kawai RX-6 and a Schimmel studio. Not to bad for being a sicko. smile

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
6 at a college followed by a private tuning. The marathon continues... smile

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
B
B
http://www.npr.org/2011/01/18/132945634/musical-innovation-a-grander-grand-piano

My FB friend sent this 102 keys piano link. I find it interesting.
Tuned an upright in extremly cold room, so I had to go for a recover after that.

Last edited by Bojan Babic; 01/18/11 06:02 PM.

Bojan Babic
piano technician and tuner
Sid, Vojvodina, Serbia
Tuned a Baldwin Studio upright for a church this morning, a Baldwin Ellington large upright for an individual. Then drove out in the boonies to look at and possibly tune an old upright.

Turned out to be an old Beckwith upright built in 1919 with major troubles. Treble bridge is cracking and breaking everywhere with some of the pins in the bottom of the piano, you can see part of the pin block and it is cracked and several pins are loose, and the sound board is coming apart. Also had one hammer shank broken at the butt and one broken pedal.

Had to turn that job down, just too much wrong.

Tuning and repairing pianos since 1981 in Ranger, Tx. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roys-Piano-Service/173273022711505
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Roy Rodgers
Turned out to be an old Beckwith upright built in 1919 with major troubles.

Maybe Sears will take it back? smirk

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
7 more at the college, 1 private tuning. College marathon is winding down! Few more days...

DiGiorgi Piano Service
Originally Posted by Eric Gloo
Originally Posted by Roy Rodgers
Turned out to be an old Beckwith upright built in 1919 with major troubles.

Maybe Sears will take it back? smirk

Think their warranty might still be valid? grin

Tuning and repairing pianos since 1981 in Ranger, Tx. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roys-Piano-Service/173273022711505
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yaaaaawnnnnn, sleeping in today..... First tuning at 10:30. Then, off to the college to get done, oh, maybe 3, if I feel up to it today...... hehehe. I have about 39 to go yet. Don't want to over work myself now, do I???? grin

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Had to put my IT hat on today and try to resolve wifes PC. Did a full scan and it shut it self down and now won't turn back on...Jer, looks like it might be trying to out do ya...haha. Dell is coming out tomorrow to service... boy is she going to be livid when she gets home... Medical Transcriptionist...24 hr turn around...not today!!!

oh boy, look for fireworks in the A2 area...

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You mean like this Les???

[Linked Image]

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
yea...it's going to look like that...omg I think it's the Mother Board ...

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
A Wurlitzer spinet side gluing problem! Other than the usual cleaning, tightening and regulation problems of a 40+ year old Wurlitzer spinet may have, this piano had become totally separated from its sides. The action itself was the only thing holding it together.

It was a childhood piano, the one that the customer loved. Although the cost of repairs exceeded greatly its market value as it was, zero to say the least, the customer opted for the repairs that would make it whole and playable again.

The repairs and usual regulation, hammer filing and alignment saved a precious family treasure. The piano now plays as the manufacturer originally intended. Although the cost of repairs exceeded greatly the value of the instrument as it was, zero, the instrument was resurrected and will perform as intended for the rest of the customer's life with usual service.

I truly believe that soon, these disregarded pieces of American craftsmanship will become treasures.

These will become the bread and butter of many piano technicians in the next 30-50 years. Rather than something shunned, they will be what the consumer wants and will pay a handsome fee to be maintained.

Last edited by Bill Bremmer RPT; 01/19/11 11:17 PM.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Tuned a Walter console, almost new, and a brand new Kawai k-3. I like both pianos quite a bit. Then it was off to see a Wurly console in pretty nice shape to fix a note that wasn't repeating and replaced the jack spring, which was broken.

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Did 7 more at the college + 1 private tuning. A few more days and this college will be wrapped up!

DiGiorgi Piano Service
D
D
A clients S+S "B" w/PDS 228+ had a large hour glass that (was) on the side of the music desk, fell onto the plate and broke. The client used a shop vac to suck out what sand they could but not enough. This sand is so fine that it got into everything. The P-disc solenoids are usless as the sand has seized them all. It is also affecting the damper guide rail bushings on all but the bass section. The sand is into everything! The only way I can get all this sand out is to roll the piano and blow compressed air until evety speck of the sand is gone. This is the worst spill of any kind I've dealt with including water. What a mess.

David Chadwick RPT
Newark, Ohio
1931 Mason Hamlin AA
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bill Bremmer RPT

...I am closing in on 2,000 posts. Maybe sometime in February or March I'll reach that mark but when I do, I'll know that each of my posts has been about something meaningful, not one line wisecracks....

Meaningful things are appropriate in forums, but don't get too ahead of yourself. You've been temporarily banned in the past here for comments that are on the less meaningful, more innaproprite side of things.

Besides, coming on here and praising yourself for lightening a spinet owners wallet for work that costs more than the instrument is worth...regardless of the owners wishes to do so... how is this meaningful, pray tell?

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
6 at the college and 2 private tunings. Tomorrow is the end of college #3 (if the weather cooperates, that is!).

DiGiorgi Piano Service
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Emmery
Originally Posted by Bill Bremmer RPT

...I am closing in on 2,000 posts. Maybe sometime in February or March I'll reach that mark but when I do, I'll know that each of my posts has been about something meaningful, not one line wisecracks....

Meaningful things are appropriate in forums, but don't get too ahead of yourself. You've been temporarily banned in the past here for comments that are on the less meaningful, more innaproprite side of things.

Besides, coming on here and praising yourself for lightening a spinet owners wallet for work that costs more than the instrument is worth...regardless of the owners wishes to do so... how is this meaningful, pray tell?

We've had conversations about this in PM's. When the MODERATORS have felt Bill (or anyone as you are about to find out) have been out of line we have addressed it.

You won't give Bill the chance to behave. You're just waiting to jump up his butt and I for one am tired of it. I told you before that instigating is just as bad in our eyes. tiki

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
A Kranich & Bach small grand reconditioning with the help of an aspiring PTG Associate whom I already feel is capable of passing all exams. We used the wound string cleaning and polishing technique which was written up here and in the PTG Journal in past years.

The wound strings and the entire soundboard and plain wire strings appeared dirty and dark. The wound strings were dead, rattling and tubby, especially among the single double wound strings in the low Bass. Polishing with a wire wheel for most of it and finishing off the tight spots with a Dremel tool (and mini wire wheel) proved once again that this technique is the most effective in rejuvenating old wound strings.

The polishing only takes about an hour and with a single turn twist to the strings, the Bass strings came to life again without a single rattle or tubby sound to them. They also looked great! (Nearly like new strings). The plain wire was scrubbed with a Scotch Bright pad and they looked nearly like new too. The tone showed definite improvement from the cleaning and polishing.

Even though the piano was quite old, the hammers had little wear. A good re-shaping and basic regulation along with alignment and flange tightening brought this piano back to life for the young student who plays it.

The customer paid the quoted price and gave a handsome tip to both of us because we did run a little late but the piano looked so beautifully clean and sounded so good when we finished. The lady also said it smelled so fresh and clean which to her, meant more than anything else.

Dark, sick sounding and ugly to fresh, sweet smelling and shiny like new in a day's work. The smile upon the face of the 11 year old who plays very well was worth it all!

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
Page 58 of 106 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 105 106

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission