Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 181 of 236 < 1 2 ... 179 180 181 182 183 ... 235 236 >
Topic Options
#1933375 - 07/27/12 08:28 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Goat stalking is probably more entertaining than the opening ceramoney of the olympic games.

In fact I will have a little to say on the opening ceramoney thing. Maybe I just need to go and google goat stalking to read upp and clue up on it first though.

Isambard kindom brunel is how we all often dress up as in GB.

We all dance round a phallic pagan pole as soon as the first day of summer appears, or so the opening stealyourmoney would have us believe. Maypole dancing, actually if wayne does do or has done maypole dancing I will shut up.

I thought it would be bad, but it was worse than that, it was sad and lame, there was even a silence for the wars gone by in it... it was tragic and worse, there was lots of it.

we used to have foundries employing real men spewing iron into the machine shops that employed even more men, that through toil and skill produced parts for machines made in britain that were sold over the empire.
then it all went pear shaped, but acording to our opening sadsaladmoney this is what it means to be british.. all hail Fred Dibna, But even the last flat cap wearing, ferret trousering, eat yer chips with yer oily fingers, three pints of stout at dinnertime swigging stereotypical northern bloke has passed away.
But now we just do plays in remembrance of that great time, and thats what it was like, it was like a remembrance service instead of fun.
RIP Fred.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1933404 - 07/27/12 10:18 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Rostosky
...Maypole dancing, actually if wayne does do or has done maypole dancing I will shut up....

We used to do Maypole dancing when I was at Cardinal Road School. Does that count? Tee Hee

#1933504 - 07/28/12 07:22 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

OMG I hadto read that properlyto see that you have changed your name captkawai!!! what brought that all about?
i was fine with captain kawai, now i will have to remember you are the same person with a different name Newman!!!

The post count seemed odd for a name I have not seen before, that alerted my focus.

back to met4 and the eternal struggle to emphasise the first beat in ever bar in your left hand whilst arps in the right are going on with a different emphasis or phrasing thing happening..

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1933583 - 07/28/12 12:25 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rupak Bhattacharya Offline

Loc: West Bengal, India
I got some time to continue my Saturday ICM postings. I'm gonna introduce another instrument used in ICM before going to classical vocal. This instrument is called Santoor which actually originated in Persia. It was introduced in ICM by Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma, though it was being used for many years in folk music. And strictly speaking it's not even quite perfect for ICM, because it's quite impossible for this instrument to produce a perfect legato which is the most important ornament of ICM. But with his own masterful techniques and styles Shiv Kumar Sharmaji has made Santoor as popular as Sitar, Sarod and other instruments used in ICM. Here are some of his beautiful performances:

#1933683 - 07/28/12 05:13 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

vegasE, thanks for the second mvt of that beethoven sonata - it was lovely - poignant somehow and reassuringly slow for anyone attempting to learn it. I may have a go at it soon.
What did you all think of the olympics ceremony? To me it seemed v nostalgic and at times downright strange. However I was entertained throughout. Perhaps the tribute to the British Army etc didn't go down too well in countries which have been invaded by us...
I also think it would have been more in the spirit of the olympics if there had been less emphasis on the history of the UK, and more on the international spirit of the games - .

#1933760 - 07/28/12 08:01 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Rostosky
OMG I hadto read that properlyto see that you have changed your name captkawai!!! what brought that all about?
i was fine with captain kawai, now i will have to remember you are the same person with a different name Newman!!!

I like to live a simple and focussed life; and, I like to believe, with at least a modicum of integrity. Newman is my real surname. I was troubled by the facade of a nom de plume.

#1934063 - 07/29/12 08:47 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
I'm going bonkers over these rags!

I've got this one to about half tempo from the score though I've not memorised it all yet. I can't get it out my head.

#1934161 - 07/29/12 12:54 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Dipsy, I haven't watched any of the Olympics, nor am I going to be, couldn't be any less interested than I am lol. And I can assure Rossy, I have never danced around a Maypole smile

I'm waiting for Griffins "Sunday postings" (Have you seen his new playlist on YT Rossy) lol.........lol

Lets just say your in for a treat/shock!

#1934205 - 07/29/12 02:38 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: wayne33yrs]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Greetings everyone! My Sunday postings are later than usual today. Another busy weekend of work related activities kept me from doing my preparatory work. Wayne, I'll check out Rossy's YT posting a bit later. If I do it now, I'll never get these postings done! grin

Rupak, how wonderful to get to enjoy your ICM postings again! I enjoyed them all, and looking forward to more. Richard, I loved the ragtime. We don't get too many ragtime postings here. Aimee has done a few. I still have some more catch up to do in listening to several other postings today.

Anyways, I'll get things started today with Handel's "Suite in G Minor, HWV 452" performed by Eberhard Kraus. I am personally am excited about the Handel Keyboard Suites because my piano teacher is going to get me started with some of them this fall! yippie

#1934213 - 07/29/12 02:57 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

While exploring more of Handel's music I came across this wonderful performance that I know that Recaredo and others will enjoy. Here is soprano Barbara Hendricks singing Handel's "Giulio Cesare, HWV 17: Da tempeste il legno infranto"

#1934219 - 07/29/12 03:21 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

Let there be trumpets! I've always enjoyed this selection by Vivaldi, "Concerto for 2 trumpets in C". Unfortunately, I can't give proper credit to the performers because it wasn't provided. Oh well! Enjoy!

#1934260 - 07/29/12 04:31 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

Hmm, I seem to be stuck in a Baroque time warp today. Not that there's anything wrong with that grin Actually, there is a Twentieth Century piece that is on my mind these days -- "Toccata in E flat minor" by Aram Khachaturian. My piano teacher thinks I should learn this someday! shocked. That's going to take a long time!

In the meantime, I came across this performance by Sonya Kahn, which I enjoyed. It will also be my final post for today. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday! (or Monday smile )

Edited by griffin2417 (07/30/12 09:06 AM)

#1934264 - 07/29/12 04:47 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I meant your playlist, Grizzly Griffin lol wink

#1934273 - 07/29/12 05:07 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: wayne33yrs]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: wayne33yrs
I meant your playlist, Grizzly Griffin lol wink

blush I see I should have done some housecleaning -- grizzly style!

Edited by griffin2417 (07/30/12 01:53 AM)

#1934552 - 07/30/12 05:27 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I dont quite understand, first I went to griffins utube chanel and saw the grizzly collection and allthough it didnt appeal to me, I thought I knew what the joking was about.

BUT , then griffin posted the Sonya Kahn which had exceptionally good girl legs in fishnets and appropriate short skirt, which funnily enough DID appeal to me , and this is what I enjoyed thinking about and watching for the majority of "classical sunday".

I carried on enjoying this post alll monday morning and will probably better do something about it soon watch it again and again later, thanks Griffin ps, you are not closet hetro perchance?

#1934558 - 07/30/12 06:00 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]

I don't know what Rossy and Wayne are up to but searching with 'Carl Griffin' on utube gives this amazing result:

Salute and respect, Sir Griffin!
Search for something glorious, Rossy, instead of grizzly stuff laugh

#1934598 - 07/30/12 08:29 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: wayne33yrs]
Dipsy Offline

Wayne - how's M2 coming along? I've taken it as far as I want for now (even though its not perfect). I wouldn't mind taking a look at M3, though I am falling behind on my grade 8 piece preparation!

I share your disinterest in the olympics by the way - just wanted to see the opening show. When media coverage of an event reaches saturation point, I find the assumption that everyone is interested in it slightly offensive, and I lose what little interest I had in sport.

Do any of you want to work towards sharing performances of pieces you are working on on this thread - maybe even working towards a sort of collective online 'concert'? It seems a nice and non judgemental way to follow through after we've been hearing about how we've each been getting on with our pieces.
A few months ago I performed a piece to a small group at Swansea music festival ( music teacher suggested this), and although I found it scary, it gave me a push to do my best and I'm glad I did it. Just an idea. Will check out piano bar too - though that may do something a bit different.

Griffin - you've been 'outed' and I've only got one thing to say: RESPECT.

Edited by Dipsy (07/30/12 08:33 AM)

#1934649 - 07/30/12 10:59 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Speaking of the Olympics ceremony, I believe the organizers wanted to show mostly the kindest side of the UK, and they managed to do it. The tribute to British Army was quite prudent, I think. I enjoyed the ceremony; it was imaginative and quite entertaining (the lighting of the Olympic flame was very original).

Rupak, thanks for your post on the Santoor. I think I’ve heard of this instrument before, but I knew very little about it, so I’ve found your post very informative. You chose beautiful samples, excellent contribution Rupak.

Richard, that’s a beautiful piece by Joplin, I’m sure you’ll master it very soon wink .

Griffin, fantastic Sunday postings, as usual! Handel, Barbara Hendricks thumb , Vivaldi, Khachaturian… I’ve enjoyed all of them. Btw, it’s impressive the video that Rupak posted about you. After watching it I’ve felt astonished. I’m glad to know you a bit better now, Carl.

My website

#1934734 - 07/30/12 01:40 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Thanks Recaredo, Dipsy, and Rupak. It's a good thing I have Monday off to recover from that highly unusual and complex Sunday "outing" I had!! Wayne, I just can't begin to tell you what I think. wink

My dear Rostokys, I must set the record straight (oops!), however. I am not perchance a closet hetro! laugh. For example I listened to Sonya Kahn's performance while mostly watching her hands on the keyboard. I also listened for the dynamics of the sounds she produced on the keyboard.

I know of at least one un-closeted hetro male in Wales who has said that he watched her performance over and over again. He never mentioned listening. While I've never gotten to know a closeted hetro male, I suspect they'd be doing more watching than listening too. laugh

Edited by griffin2417 (07/30/12 01:42 PM)

#1935106 - 07/31/12 02:56 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]

Thanks a lot Griffin and Recaredo for the kind appreciations on my ICM postings. Oh...I forgot to thank Griffin for his wonderful Sunday classical postings. I just finished listening to them last night. And thanks to Richard for the 'Pineapple Rag'. Piano rag music is quite new to me.

While searching for 'Flight of the Bumblebee' on YoUtube I came across a superhuman rendition of this piece on guitar:

Its updated version is more hard to believe:

#1935170 - 07/31/12 07:34 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hello all, just popping in before I go to work, Dipsy, I'm getting there, just got to keep at it, don't know how long before I've got it completed satisfactory. However, when I do, I will upload it smile

Maybe between us, Rossy and whoever else wants to join in, we could do one each, so we do the whole 5, and maybe post it up on PW? Show the talent on RST wink

Griffin, I'm still laughing.........

Laters all smile

#1935447 - 07/31/12 06:20 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: wayne33yrs]
Dipsy Offline

That's great Wayne! Both Rossy and I will do one - Rossy wants to do met 4, and I'll learn met 3 (assuming you're happy to do no 2). I'm a bit nervous but looking forward to it.

If anyone else wants to prepare something - that would be wonderful, and if the pieces include met 1 and met 5 that would complete the set!. - though of course any piece which people want to share would be welcome, whatever it is.

How about preparing something ready for the beginning of September?

#1935833 - 08/01/12 01:13 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

errr Ok, I'll try, just need to get up to speed. Rossy you gonna do M4 on an accoustic piano?

Come on guys, we need 2 volunteers for M1 and M5! smile

#1935977 - 08/01/12 06:21 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Greetings everyone! It's the end of the work day for me. Before I head home, however, I wanted to share this beautiful flamenco piece I listened to recently on Pandora.

Here is "Rubia" by Armik. I have Recaredo to thank for introducing me to flamenco. Enjoy!

#1936209 - 08/02/12 07:19 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

Wayne - you're a sport! I'm looking forward to getting going on M3 and having a time to work towards will make me get down to it. Hopefully M1 and M5 will be chosen (they're really short and seem technically quite easy)

Recaredo I'm glad you enjoyed the olympics opening ceremony - people were given several unusual themes to think about!

Rupak - I've never heard the flight of the bumble bee played so fast - the skill was amazing. Though when taken at that speed, I find it difficult to follow the music!

The flamenco was really vibrant Griffin. In suburban Northern England, and it helped me to wake up this morning!

Edited by Dipsy (08/02/12 07:23 AM)

#1936256 - 08/02/12 09:17 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Augustina Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Well I thought I'd see what this thread is. First time I've really scrolled through it:) I like all the music posted!:)

Anyways I was browsing around Youtube this morning and came across this cool song!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530

#1936264 - 08/02/12 09:39 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Augustina, welcome to this thread! I hope to see your favorite music over here often. I really enjoyed your first contribution with that dreamy music.

Griffin, I didn’t know Armik. I see he is Iranian… impressive!

My website

#1936496 - 08/02/12 06:20 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

That was a beautiful selection Augustina! Thanks for sharing it, and welcome to the thread. I hope you'll continue to do postings in the future.

Recaredo, I'm glad you enjoyed Arik's music. I will be exploring more of his music in the future. I just thought I'd drop in and say hello. Right now it's time to head home from work. Off I go!

#1936640 - 08/02/12 10:50 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Wow I need to check in more than once a week.

The Olympic opening stuff was ok... it was long, and some of the parts went on a little too long. We did find it funny that they included the Sex Pistols in the musical sequences.. like in the opening when they played the lyric "God save the Queen," we just automatically thought of the rest of the verse, which we knew wasn't quite the message they were trying to convey. We have watched very little. I watched womens' singles badminton where the commentators kept commenting on how out of shape the poor Malaysian girl was, and some of the gymnastics, where BillyO noticed that some of the girls had stripper names.

I did a maypole dance once, when I was in the first or second grade.
Newman, namechange noted smile

Rupak, great stuff. That reminds me, there is an instrument in Yo Yo Mas's Silk Road Ensemble that I am wondering about. When I have time,I will dig it up and ask.

Richard, I am jealous of your rag playing ability, 'tho I am glad you are enjoying yourself!

Griffin, your postings are always great. I did like the Khachaturian a lot, although her outfit distracts me also.. I keep trying to figure out when that look was in fashion, and if punk-ish was the look she was going for, why was she trying to make it match? Kudos on your award, though! You always do so much!

Would love to play Glass with you all, but I have too much on my plate already!

Sad week.. Gore Vidal is gone, and so is Tony Sly.

#1936777 - 08/03/12 07:23 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Pardon my intrusion in this fine on-going thread but I thought you highly discriminating music lovers here at RST might appreciate these two vids that I came across recently in a little research I was doing for the upcoming ABF Recital...

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

Page 181 of 236 < 1 2 ... 179 180 181 182 183 ... 235 236 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
140 registered (angga888, accordeur, Almaviva, Alux, 45 invisible), 1498 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153617 Topics
2251475 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
5 minutes 7 seconds ago
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
7 minutes 27 seconds ago
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Today at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Today at 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Today at 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission