Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 182 of 236 < 1 2 ... 180 181 182 183 184 ... 235 236 >
Topic Options
#1936924 - 08/03/12 02:24 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: TrapperJohn]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Hi TJ! Your wonderful posts today were certainly not an "intrusion". Thanks for those fine postings. I remember first hearing that wedding song by Paul Stookey when he was on PBS with the special on Peter, Paul, and Mary. A beautiful song he wrote especially for his friends' wedding.

As for that amazing performance by Luther Vandross I only have one inadequate word -- FABULOUS!!!

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1936969 - 08/03/12 03:55 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: AimeeO]
griffin2417 Offline

Aimee, I was also saddened to hear of Gore Vidal's passing. I had not ever listened to Tony Sly before your posting. I enjoyed it and would like to learn more. Thanks!

I'm glad you enjoyed my postings. I can see your point, however, about the distraction over the performer's outfit for the Khatchaturian piece. I still found her performance the best of the others I reviewed.

#1937035 - 08/03/12 06:03 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain

One post more about Lully. This video is a bit long, but we can watch and listen to an amazing “Te Deum”.

My website

#1937277 - 08/04/12 11:34 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rupak Bhattacharya Offline

Loc: West Bengal, India
Time for Saturday Classical (ICM)!

Today I'm gonna introduce the greatest ever instrument for ICM: human vocal! It can produce all the complex ornaments and articulations used in classical music (of course it depends on the performer). Besides the standard structure of a full-length classical music there are several other categories of classical vocal music (CVM), for instance, Dhrupad, Kheyal, Thumri, Ghazal etc. I'll try to introduce some of them later on. For now, let's start with some pure classical. I mentioned earlier that for classical instrumental there were broadly three passages: Alaap(Slow), Jor(medium) and Jhala(fast). For vocal it's slightly different. A full-length CVM consists of Vilambit(very slow) and Drut(fast) Bandishes (a Bandish is a short lyrical piece over which the improvisations are performed). The Vilambit part starts with Alaap, then the Bandish is introduced slowly (a few words at a time) followed by various types of improvisations in between. At the end of this part, there may be some very fast passages of notes which is called Taan. Taan is one of the most important ornaments of CVM. The drut part has another Bandish with plenty of Taans.

Sorry for a long discussion (actually it's a pretty gross and short discussion missing lots of details which will take lots of pages to describe laugh So, its better to be brief!). Let's now enjoy two stunning performances on Raga Maru Bihag and Yaman by vocal maestro Ustad Rashid Khan.

#1937700 - 08/05/12 12:14 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rupak Bhattacharya]
griffin2417 Offline

thumb WOW!! Rupak, I noticed that your informative postings have taken this thread beyond 2-million views! Cool!! I've listened to the first post which I really liked. I've listened to Ustad Rashid Kahn before. However, that was before you started making your wonderful ICM postings here, and given us so much more information about ICM. I truly appreciate this. I will be finishing listentining to your second posting today when I have some time to listen fully! Thanks!

Recaredo, thanks for the Lully posting. I had not heard his music before you started posting his materials! I'll be back shortly with some Sunday classical postings.

#1937724 - 08/05/12 12:58 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Greetings everyone! My first classical posting will be the "Flute Concerto Op.10 No.1," by Antonio Vivaldi. It is performed on recorder by Jiri Stivin, accompanied by the Slovak Chamber Orchestra under the direction of Bohdan Warchal.

#1937728 - 08/05/12 01:08 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

My next selection is the "Concerto for Organ and Strings," by Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach. It is performed by organ soloist Tobias Frankenreiter and ZHdK Strings under the direction Rudolf Koelman.

#1937739 - 08/05/12 01:29 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

I don't believe I've ever posted any of the music of Austrian composer Anton Bruckner. Here is the first movement of "Symphony 0" performed by the Chicago Symphony under the direction of Sir George Solti.

This will be my final posting today. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

#1937829 - 08/05/12 05:42 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I get this message when I try to submit a post today: We encountered a problem. The reason reported was. Database error only visible to forum administrators. Please click back to return to the previous page.

Anyway… Thanks Rupak for your post on “the greatest ever instrument” ( I loved that expression). You’re right , it’s amazing the amount of ornaments that can be heard in those samples. You did it again, Rupak.

Griffin, I’m glad to see Bruckner’s music in your Sunday’s postings. He is one of my favorite composers. The Symphony 0 is quite infrequent; I hadn’t listened to it for ages. Btw, that version conducted by Solti is excellent.

My website

#1938198 - 08/06/12 01:59 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Hello all,

Recaredo, Rupak, we still need 2 volunteers for Metamorphosis 1 and 5 you up for it? smile

#1938251 - 08/06/12 03:15 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Recaredo. I got that message too for a while, seems ok now.

Well folks some very upsetting and unsettling news..
last week my mam suffered a series of heart attacks and is now in hospital awaiting a triple coronary by pass, which I believe TJ has also recently undergone..

So, she is 79 has never smoked, has been very very active all her life, as a young women she thought nothing of cycling 60 miles up the coast road to visit her friends and then 60 miles back and then 28 mile round trip to work the next morning.

She played tennis and still plays golf sometimes a few times a week and has been lady captain at her local club a few times.

She is not a drinker and eats healthy food and takes vitimins etc.

I know all you wonderfull folk will be wishing her well, I am not too good at religeous things, but for those that are , seeing as its my mam, and I only have one mam, please would you offer up your bestest prayers for her operation tommorrow..

I am a bit freaked out about it.

Well done dudes and dudettes for the two million mark.. my guess is that this is probably one of the nicest kindest and friendliest international music threads on the internet, and its all down to you guys.

Well done dudes and dudettes, well done.

Thank you all.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1938280 - 08/06/12 03:59 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
piRround Offline

Loc: Yarmouth, Maine
Rossy, best wishes to your Mom for a speedy recovery. Bypass surgeries are practically routine now and not as scary as they used to be. Well, unless it happens to you or your loved ones. I'll be thinking of you.

#1938300 - 08/06/12 04:26 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Rossy, I’m sure all will go well.

My best wishes to your mom, my friend. You are in my thoughts.

My website

#1938337 - 08/06/12 05:06 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Rossy, all of my best wishes and thoughts are for your mom for a speedy recovery from a successful surgery. My thoughts and good wishes go to you as well!

Your friend,
Carl

#1938406 - 08/06/12 06:37 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: griffin2417

Rossy, all of my best wishes and thoughts are for your mom for a speedy recovery from a successful surgery. My thoughts and good wishes go to you as well!

Your friend,
Carl

1+ (except....NOT Carl...)

If it’s any consolation...my dad underwent a triple bypass at the age of 77 (no drinking/smoking either) and is now as ornery as ever -and still asking me if I need money- at the age of 89 !
ps. he started exercising for the first time in his life post bypass....it’s never too late!

#1938440 - 08/06/12 07:57 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: Rostosky

Well folks some very upsetting and unsettling news..
last week my mam suffered a series of heart attacks and is now in hospital awaiting a triple coronary by pass, which I believe TJ has also recently undergone..

Rossy - yes I did and this is the best I've felt in years - while not exactly done on an outpatient basis (yet) thousands are done every year without a hitch and you mom will come thru with flying colors (British Union Jack, of course) - her healthy lifestyle has given her a slight edge and a head start - good luck to both of you!

Trap

P.S. make sure you encourage her to participate in cardiac rehab as much as possible afterwards - it's highly beneficial to a speedy recovery...

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

#1938613 - 08/07/12 04:06 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks folks, she is also having a valve repaired at the same time and is now (as I type) in theatre, she went in at 8 Am Uk time and the surgery is expected to last about five ish hours . I was there at 7 am and was with her till she went in at 8.

I will be back for when she comes out of theatre.

Good advice TJ, she will definately be totally involved in the cardiac rehab and has been informed of what that is all about by the docs..

Nothing for me to do except wait now.. and be tense and anxious till around 1.30 ish.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1938623 - 08/07/12 05:08 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]

I am not too good at religeous things, but for those that are , seeing as its my mam, and I only have one mam, please would you offer up your bestest prayers for her operation tommorrow..

Rossy, I'm definitely praying for your mom, and I'm sure she'll recover pretty soon. But I think you're far more better at religious things than me. I'm well aware of the strength of your prayer that you did for me. I think nobody can offer better prayer for her except you. Please keep faith in the Almighty and pray to him. I'm pretty sure he can never ignore your prayer.

#1938646 - 08/07/12 07:22 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
PM'd you Rossy smile

#1938671 - 08/07/12 08:31 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Rossy, I've sent you a PM.

#1938801 - 08/07/12 01:40 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks everyone for all the kind wishes and prayers.
I am glad to report that I have just got back from the hospital where my mam is recovering extremely well in ICU.

Just three hours after coming out of theatre even though she was still under the affects of the aneasthetic and the morphine, I whispered in her ear and made her smile.

The nurses say their job is made so easy because my mam needs the minimum of attention, as she is "doing it all by herself"

It appears at the moment that all is more than well and she could not be doing any bettter.

She is of course attatched to more tubes and machines than I have ever seen, but it would appear that the tension is off, and I feel a weight of hideous anxiety has been lifted .

Phew.

Tommorrow morning the nurses say she will be awake and aware enough to be able to communicate properly if she carries on with her present rate of recovery.

Remind yourself regularly how much you love your family folks, its really important as we are not here forever.

You only have one mam.

And now I think a very very large Ameretto will be in order.

#1938809 - 08/07/12 02:05 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Glad all went well, Rossy! You all are in my thoughts.

Aimee

#1938865 - 08/07/12 04:24 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Rossy, I'm so happy to hear such good news!

My website

#1938945 - 08/07/12 07:39 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Rossy - Great news!

My docs told me it would take anywhere from 6 months to a year to fully recover, but I felt really good after about 4 months since I undertook rehab diligently and then resumed my 3 times a week workouts at the fitness center - I was back playing golf after just 3 months - this should be encouraging news for your mom since she appears to be very active...

I also had a visiting nurse come in twice a week for about 6 weeks to check on my progress - you might want to arrange for the same thing (if you already haven't and insurance picks up the tab).

I've found that making adjustments in eating habits has been the hardest thing to do - love my salty, fatty food!

One final note - there's a lifestyle lesson in all this for you too! smile

TJ

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

#1938951 - 08/07/12 07:49 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Absolutely wonderful news Rossy! I'm glad it all went well.

#1938976 - 08/07/12 08:38 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rupak Bhattacharya]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Rupak

It took a while but I found the programme from the sitar concert I went to in 1968 (!). Not exactly as I remembered it but a curiosity nevertheless.

[img:left][/img]

Regards

Newman

#1939046 - 08/07/12 10:38 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
You only have one mam.

And never forget it.

#1939103 - 08/08/12 12:10 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Newman]
polyphasicpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Newman
You only have one mam.

And never forget it.

Indeed.

#1939194 - 08/08/12 06:43 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]

Rossy, I'm really very happy and relaxed to hear such a good news! And...
Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn
One final note - there's a lifestyle lesson in all this for you too!

+100
Please Rossy, you must consider it seriously!

WOW CaptainK, it's really a gem. Thank you so much for taking your time to find it for me. I can only imagine how gorgeous the concert was! I'll post some great performances of Pandit Nikhil Banerjee very soon. He's also one of the greatest ever Sitar maestros.

#1939195 - 08/08/12 06:57 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]

Let this little angel's prayer keep us all safe and happy:

Page 182 of 236 < 1 2 ... 180 181 182 183 184 ... 235 236 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
170 registered (accordeur, Akshay, acortot, 36251, 53 invisible), 1705 Guests and 69 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153503 Topics
2249476 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1952 Bechstein Grand Piano - family needs appraisal
by feigede
56 minutes 29 seconds ago
Ruben Schoutrop - Nocturne Op. 55 No. 1 in F Minor
by Ruben1
Today at 05:14 PM
Question about monitor speakers with keyboard
by peabody
Today at 04:00 PM
Disklavier to replace digital piano?
by Big Cheese
Today at 03:42 PM
Happy Birthday TwoSnowflakes
by gooddog
Today at 02:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission