2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content

2000 Post Club Member
G
Moving right along. Agreed, so to quickly recap, the chords that can be written above measure 7 are:

C#min (1st beat, 1st two triplets)
F#min (2nd beat, 2nd two triplets)

measure 8 ...

E/B (1st beat)
(2nd beat) ... B7

Good catch with the slur phrase Carol, I often don't notice these things. I would also like to ask why we see another PP at the top of measure 5. Aren't we already in PP?

OK that is all for me today ... off to see my Parole Officer laugh

Me too Wayne. That's a hard one. I agree with the E Maj/B on the first two triplets. confused

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
smile

What notes do you get the most of? What notes is in bass?
You're really close!

Richard
Originally Posted by Greener

measure 8 ...

E/B (1st beat)
(2nd beat) ... B7

.....I would also like to ask why we see another PP at the top of measure 5. Aren't we already in PP?

OK that is all for me today ... off to see my Parole Officer laugh

Ok. I think I understand about the B7. I had to experiment with the notes though.

I'd like to know about the PP as well. Also, the rest before it. I don't know why it's positioned like that.

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm not concentrating again lol, we're dealing with D#, so it could be B dominant 7 or B9

Originally Posted by zrtf90
You're right with the chords in measure 7, Carol, but as the root is in the bass for each they're considered to be in root position regardless of the right hand configuration

Oh. OK. I learned something there. Thanks Richard.

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
G

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content

2000 Post Club Member
G
Sorry Richard, I did not mean to jump in on your coaching. I was writing my last response before I saw what you had recently added in the thread (hand slap #2)

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
That's twice I've missed one of your posts, Greener. I must be more vigilant.

So now we have the B seventh in bar 8 resolving to E major in bar 9.

The rests in bar 5 are specifically for the melody which might conveniently be understood as being on a third staff and the PP is a precaution against taking this new melody too loud. Try to think of persuading the keys down for this ever so slightly more forcefully than the ostinato and the bass.

Richard
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
No problem, Greener, and no need for more hand slaps (unless you're enjoying them). Give masochists a fair crack of the whip, that's what I say!

Glad you got there, Wayne, with the B. Not sure where you got the possible ninth from though.

Richard
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Picking up on a few details which I can't find mentioned elsewhere in the thread (but I may have overlooked it).

Originally Posted by wayne33yrs
C#, D#, F# G# in the key signature, so it's written in C# minor.

It might also be E major, but the C# minor chord in the first measure strongly suggests C# minor, not E major.

Bar 1: G#, C#, E (C# minor, 2nd INV)

Don't forget the notes in the bass clef, C#. So this is C#m in root position.

Bar 2: errr is it C#minor7/B again 2nd INV?

Yes, the B in the bass makes it C#m7/B: 3rd inversion. (2nd inversion would be C#m7/G#.)

First half of Bar 3: A major root Inv

When it's in root position, I call it root position, not root inversion.

Second half of Bar 3: D major/F# 2nd Inv.

D/F# is 1st inversion. The inversion is determined by the lowest note, ignoring the order of the notes above. For D major chord (D F# A), D lowest is root position. F# lowest is 1st inversion. A lowest is second inversion.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Measure 3.

Originally Posted by thurisaz
I like using Roman numeral analysis (Wikipedia has an introduction), since it helps to see the functional relationships. Adding that to what's been done so far, we have: 1. c# (i), 2. c#/B (i), 3. A (VI (or III of IV)), D/F# (VI of IV), 4. G# (V). Adding the Roman numerals helps me think about what's happening with modulation, etc; in this case, I'm still a bit confused about the second half of the third bar. D is not a chord in the key of c#; I've resorted to annotating it as the VI chord of F# minor (the subdominant key) but I don't think that's quite right. It almost seems like there's an aborted attempt at modulation here and in bar 4, but I'm not convinced that's right either. It also almost seems like a VI-ii-V progression, but D isn't the ii chord of c#. On the other hand, thinking of it as f# +5 would give something like a VI-IV-V, which seems to make more sense.

I would not think of it as F#m(aug5) because I think Beethoven is really careful with his note spelling in this piece (witness the Fx in m.27). F#m(aug5) would be F# A Cx, but the notes here are F# A D. That suggests by spelling a D major chord.

In a variation of Roman numerals, it can be called bII. Since it's in first inversion, perhaps it's a Neapolitan sixth chord. The next chord is G#7, the dominant chord of our C# minor key, and AIUI that's where the Neapolitan sixth chord is supposed to resolve to.

I know very little about Neapolitan sixth chords, so I hope someone who knows more about them will either confirm or deny.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Hi PianoStudent88! Thanks for joining in. smile

Your first point about the key signature is good but there's a bit at the top of the page where it says "Piano Sonata No. 14 in C-sharp minor" that kind of gives it away. smile

I think we just covered the inversion question a couple of posts ago but it's worth reading it it again. These things need to be drummed in at first.

--------------------------------------------------

So, we're done up to bar 9 now. Is there anything we've missed?

The next section to tackle is a little longer and goes from bar 9 to the first beat of bar 15. When you get there the rest of the piece should give you little trouble.
Any takers?

(It's worth doing this on your own even if you don't publish - you learn best by doing.)

If you're learning this on the piano as we go I advise you to memorise bars 1 to 5 on their own. Get them right each day, nice and slowly, then repeat them seven to ten times without error. Do the same with bars 5 to 9.

When you can do both sections right, from memory, first time each day then you can join them together and just repeat them three or four times a day before starting on the next section.

Treating the sections individually means they're short enough to memorise easily, you're more aware of wrong notes creeping in and are more likely to correct them as you go. This will speed up the learning process inordinately. If you include at the end of each section the start of the next one they will knit together quite easily.

For two or three of your repetitions while you're memorising I recommend pausing on each beat, that's twice per bar, to test your recall, reinforcing the memorisation, and to help bring out the pulse (it will embed itself in your subconscious).

Richard
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Hi PianoStudent88! Thanks for joining in. smile

Playing with chords, how can I resist? laugh

Your first point about the key signature is good but there's a bit at the top of the page where it says "Piano Sonata No. 14 in C-sharp minor" that kind of gives it away. smile

I'm using my own copy (Willard Palmer edition from Alfred) which just calls it "Sonata quasi una Fantasia 'Moonlight Sonata'" smile .

I think we just covered the inversion question a couple of posts ago but it's worth reading it it again. These things need to be drummed in at first.

I'm having to read the thread several times to absorb everything in it!

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Measure 4: in the preceding discussion, it seems to have been settled as G#, or G#7 for the whole measure. That leaves the two C#'s and the E in the middle of the measure as non-chordal notes. To me it makes more sense to consider measure 4 as four chords, one on each half-beat:

G#7
C#m/G#
C#sus2/G#
G#7

The D# in C#sus2 acts as an anticipation of the D# in the final G#7 chord.

It's as if Beethoven is flirting around with resolving to C#m, and then flits back to G#7, and then in m.5 resolves strongly to C#m in root position.

(ETA: Oh, on rereading I just found this:
While you're there, this is also the mystery chord from bar 4. The first triplet is G#7, the second would be C#m in second inversion, the third and fourth triplets are G#7 with and without a suspended fourth but since we're in cut time the second triplet is not on a beat and so it constitutes passing notes rather than a change of chord. Take your time digesting this - it's not all obvious - and ask if you need more explanation.

I'm not sure if I agree. The triplets are so much part of the harmony I hate to relegate any of them to passing notes only. I see how it's stronger to call the downbeat of beat 2 as G#sus4 instead of C#m(sus2), but I wonder if the fact that there are two names for this chord points to a cleverly-used ambiguity, of Beethoven sliding back and forth between G# and C#.)

Last edited by PianoStudent88; 08/14/12 05:13 PM. Reason: quote from zrtf90, and response

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
I'm having to read the thread several times to absorb everything in it.

Ah, the perils of arriving late!

We're using the IMSLP link from the OP (and I'm using my ABRSM version too).

Yes, it is indeed the Neapolitan sixth in bar 3!

Let's get this one out of the way quickly. It's not a sixth! We don't know where the name comes from as it predates the Neapolitan school. And yes, it resolves to the dominant seventh.

Good catch! smile

Measure 4: in the preceding discussion, it seems to have been settled as G#, or G#7 for the whole measure. That leaves the two C#'s and the E in the middle of the measure as non-chordal notes.

Again, I think we resolved this when Carol solved bar 6.

Richard
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Measure 8, second beat.
Originally Posted by wayne33yrs
I'm not concentrating again lol, we're dealing with D#, so it could be B dominant 7 or B9

B7, not B9. B9 would need a C#.

One quick way to identify the possible root of a chord is to see if there are two notes that are next to each other in the alphabet. E.g. A and B in this measure. That suggests a possible 7 chord; the letter that appears later in the alphabet will be the root. You have to then check this by looking at the other notes, and also to see if it makes harmonic sense to name it that way, but this is a shortcut I've come up with.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Greener
I agree with G#7 in measure 6. But we also have a C bass. So, I believe we will likely be calling it:

G#7/C

Further to this though, I think we agreed earlier in this thread that we will not be worrying about the 7, 9, 11, 13 etc. and instead just the root chord (triad.) Or, maybe it was just anything beyond the 7th. So, we may just call this ...

G#/C

Please stick around ... I for one am certainly learning a lot already.

Correction: I believe this should rather be written as:

G#/B# ... help Because of the score and key we are in?

The score writes this as B#. That makes sense, because the notes G# B# D# F# are the traditional spelling for the G#7 chord. B# also suggests that it's the raised seventh for the key C# minor.

Writing plain C washes out all of those visual harmonic hints.

I understand that as music progresses through time, this kind of hypervigilant spelling starts being broken for various reasons, but I find it helpful to use it in music that does provide those clues.

Last edited by PianoStudent88; 08/14/12 05:30 PM.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Measures 1-9: we have resolved to E major, the relative major to our starting key of C# minor.

Beethoven has taken us on quite a harmonic journey already, starting with the minor 7 chord on the tonic already in measure 2. Then the piquant Neapolitan chord in m.3, some supension in the middle of m. 4, and restful resolution to C#m in m. 5 Then the melody starts, and it seems as if we will stay in C# minor with G#7 in m.6 followed by C#m to start m.7. But the subsequent developments through m.9 show that C#m in m.7 is a pivot chord, and the three measures 7,8,9 can be read as a circle of fifths progression in E major

m. 7: vi, ii
m. 8: I64, V7
m. 9: I

I recall reading recently about the I64 (tonic chord in second inversion) being a standard part of certain cadences, but I forget which cadences, and why.

The next section to tackle is a little longer and goes from bar 9 to the first beat of bar 15. When you get there the rest of the piece should give you little trouble.

I don't agree that past m.15 is so simple. I find dim7 chords past there, and a sus4 chord. Even the end is tricky (what is that A doing in mm. 66-69? Don't answer that, I'll wait till we get there! smile .)

On "Neapolitan sixth" nomenclature, I always understood that to come from figured bass notation for inversions. Since the Neapolitan chord is normally used in first inversion, the figured bass symbol for that is a superscript 6. hence Neapolitan Sixth or N6. Admittedly, and confusingly, this is different from what we commonly call a six chord now, which is a triad plus the sixth above the root.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
OK, now I'm all caught up and will quit hogging the thread after this post laugh .

Measure 9: E, already identified.
Measure 10: Em

For those more harmonically experienced than I am, does going from a major chord to the same root, but minor, suggest any expectations?

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I'm not sure if I agree. The triplets are so much part of the harmony I hate to relegate any of them to passing notes only. I see how it's stronger to call the downbeat of beat 2 as G#sus4 instead of C#m(sus2), but I wonder if the fact that there are two names for this chord points to a cleverly-used ambiguity, of Beethoven sliding back and forth between G# and C#.)

Disagreeing is great! That's how we learn from dialogue and discussion. smile

Beethoven relegated them to passing notes with his Alla breve time sig.

My inclination is to add up the bass, the six ostinato notes and the melody all together as the notes constituting the beat and see what results.

I get the G# sus 4 from the bass note. I don't get the second name as the first one is already evident (Occam's Razor). As I'm doing the analysis I'm unconcerned about cleverly used ambiguity. Once I've understood what the composition is doing to a satisfactory level I need look no further. Beethoven can slide all he wants.

Knowing Schumann has written cryptographic messages into his score doesn't affect the analysis I perform on it to help me memorise it and help me form an interpretation.

And in bar 8, for example, I get five B's, two A's, two D#'s and an F#. The five B's strongly suggest B (yes, they really do smile ) and the rest in key order gives me B7.

One quick way to identify the possible root of a chord is to see if there are two notes that are next to each other in the alphabet. E.g. A and B in this measure. That suggests a possible 7 chord; the letter that appears later in the alphabet will be the root. You have to then check this by looking at the other notes, and also to see if it makes harmonic sense to name it that way, but this is a shortcut I've come up with.

This wouldn't work for a suspended 4th! smile

I suspect Greener was playing at the keyboard when he came up with the G#/C but he corrected himself at the end of the post. I also believe a lot of this wouldn't be happening if we'd started with a piece in C major.

I don't agree that past m.15 is so simple. I find dim7 chords past there, and a sus4 chord. Even the end is tricky (what is that A doing in mm. 66-69? Don't answer that, I'll wait till we get there! .)

True, there are more complex chords further along but after handling 12 thru' 14 I think we'll have a much better handle on how we do this and we'll be getting more used to dealing with a minor key. We've not started with the easiest piece for learning analysis.

Delighted to know you've caught up now. smile

Richard
Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission