2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Serge88
Experience:6 years of piano experience + 5 years many years ago
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:What'd I say
Composer:Ray Charles
Duration:02:17
Source of music:Video, sheet music, IrockU piano lessons
Instrument used:Roland FP7
Recording method:Roland FP7 -midi- Garageband - Kontakt piano sampler
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:Not exactly like the CD, I play the song about half of the tempo of Ray Charles and I also play with a drum track. It was fun to learn.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Starr Keys
Experience:3-1/2 this time around without a teacher, 2 years 15 years ago and about 3 as a child with teachers.
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysMt5PKGsDw
Title of piece:It Goes Like It Goes
Composer:David Shire
Duration:04:19
Source of music:Sheet music which I significantly altered to help me play and sing it--I needed all the help I could get!
Instrument used:Casio PX-3330 (Note the video shows me at my accoustic which I filmed separate from the audio mainly because I couldn't fit all the photos on my digital and they would look silly on it if I could.
Recording method:Zoom Q3
Additional info:Since my birthday was a few days before my quarterly August recital deadline, and my husband's is about a week after it, I wanted to choose something with a theme reflecting on the passing of time. I was particularly motivated to do this this year because of the health issues confronting us with each of our single remaining parents. My mother and I live on opposite coasts and she has her second major Cancer procedure this year next week, so I�ve gone outside my comfort zone and have used personal photos.

The song is the theme from Norma Rae. It won the Academy award for best song of 1979 but has rarely been covered since the original artist did it for the film. After trying to sing it, I can see why, it spans a wide range and has a lot of leaps and half steps and other chromatic intervals. I�m not terribly happy with the vocal but it is the best I can do right now and I know my mom will like it anyway. I hope you do. It's the first time I've used a sophisticated video editor (on the images, not the audio). I play the accompaniment which I memorized from the sheet music and then liberally changed to make it easier to play and sing and support my vocal phrasing. I had dim sung for lunch from the Chinese market.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:CMohr
Experience:5 or so years as a child - 3 years since returning
Title of piece:Imagination
Composer:Jimmy Van Heusen (music), Johnny Burke (lyrics)
Duration:02:22
Source of music:Lead Sheet
Instrument used:1907 Wellington Upright
Recording method:The Mikey by Blue Microphones. Converted from WAV to MP3 in iTunes.
Additional info:"Imagination" was written in 1940. I learned this tune at my mom's request and for her 90th birthday on August 9th. She has been asking me to play tunes she knows and started singing this one. I told her I would learn it for her.

This is my own arrangement and although played from memory, it is not without my usual mistakes and hesitations. (I really need to work on keeping good time). But I did manage to add a little improvisation towards the end.

I had a horrible time with the red dot (or in my case the blue dot) this time around.

Lunch was cilantro lime shrimp salad

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:ClavBoy
Experience:3/4 year
Title of piece:Prelude No. 1 C Major BWV 846
Composer:J.S.Bach
Duration:02:21
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Roland FP-7F
Recording method:Roland R-05
Additional info:Still very difficult for me. Practising it since I started with the piano.
Sounds for me as if the first notes of each arpeggio stick out too loud and the legato between the arpeggios is often not there (played without pedalling).
Like to know your opinion.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Ken.
Experience:4 years
Title of piece:Light Blue
Composer:Thelonious Monk
Duration:02:28
Source of music:Thelonious Monk Easy Piano Solos
Instrument used:Milton Spinet
Recording method:Zoom H4
Additional info:One of Monk's lesser played pieces. I wasn't going to submit anything this time since it wasn't up to tempo. The marked tempo is 62 and I was stuck on around 55, but in the last week I started to make progress again, until the time of recording this I was able to play it at tempo, Yay!:) I included two takes since it is a short piece and I couldn't decide which one to pick.

Here is Monk's version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twriNk0N9qQ

Here is some info on the tune: The first recorded evidence of this tune comes from a radio broadcast from Pep's Music
Lounge in Philadelphia, where Monk led a trio on February 9, 1957, consisting of Jimmy Bond and bass and Albert
"Tootie" Heath on drums. Interestingly, the first official recording of "Light Blue" was also live, this time at the
Five Spot Cafe on August 7, 1958. It is not a blues but rather a sixteen-bar theme played at a slow, plodding tempo
built on descending chord progressions.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:daveindenton
Experience:2 years, 6 months
Title of piece:Theme from Schindler's List
Composer:John Williams
Duration:02:00
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha P120
Recording method:Audacity via ProSonus Audiobox USB
Additional info:I was hesitant to turn this in because it's such a beautiful and moving piece. Hope I did a fair enough job with it. Comments welcome.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:MaryBee
Experience:40 years playing on my own, followed by 3.5 years of actual learning with a teacher.
Title of piece:Sonata in C minor, K.457, Mvt.1
Composer:Mozart
Duration:06:05
Source of music:"Mozart, his greatest Piano Solos". The book includes a one-page biography, along with this helpful heading: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Pronounced Mote-zart). Just in case you've never heard of him before. wink
Instrument used:Charles Walter 1520 upright
Recording method:Tascam DR-08. Converted to MP3 using Audacity.
Additional info:I had my heart set on learning the 2nd movement of this sonata, but my teacher wanted me to learn this movement first. I wasn't thrilled with that proposal, but I soon found myself falling in love with this piece -- it is so utterly full of excitement, passion, and drama. I think the coda is my favorite part of the entire movement. Listening to a professional recording of this can send shivers through me.

This piece has been a long time in the works. I started learning it over a year ago, brought it to a basic level, and then left it for a long time. But it kept calling me back, so I returned to it again at the beginning of this summer. It doesn't look or sound as if it should be so very difficult, but for me, so many spots took a lot of sweat to learn. It's not done yet, and it certainly isn't effortless yet. When I come back to it next time, one of the things I'll be working on is evening out and speeding up the tempo. But it has come a long way since the beginning, when my teacher's comment on the cantabile section was that it sounded like a "drunken uncle" singing. laugh

I edited out the first page turn between the exposition and the development sections. Both hands were busy at the time, so I had to stop to make the page turn. You will however, hear the second turn at the bottom of page 4.

BTW, I haven't forgotten the 2nd movement -- that will probably show up in a future recital. smile

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:DadAgains_Daughter
Experience:since 5yrs old (now 8)
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1LMU-EAcQI
Title of piece:Invention in F Major
Duration:01:11
Instrument used:Bernstein (Hailun) 151
Recording method:onboard microphone on Dell laptop! Sounded better than iPad, Blackberry or Nikon D90 microphone

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:DadAgain
Experience:Many years....
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cRedstkcbE
Title of piece:Prelude and Fugue XX - A minor
Duration:04:17
Instrument used:Bernstein (Hailun) 151
Additional info:Sorry - way too many stuff ups.

...and try as I might I can never get the hang of Bach. I don't know how to make it sound musical! (and can't do the trills in the Fugue!)

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White
Experience:Lifetime by ear, self-teaching appx. six years
Title of piece:Dance of the Blessed Spirits
Composer:Christoph Willibald Ritter von Gluck
Duration:01:20
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha P-80
Recording method:Audacity
Additional info:This piece was sight-read. I have been working on harder pieces, but ran out of time.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Falmc
Experience:5 years
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A5LRiqNNNo
Title of piece:Sweet Sereny
Composer:Carlos Mendoza Falmc
Duration:01:52
Instrument used:Keyboard
Recording method:audacity
Additional info:This song was originally written for guitar for my girlfriend Sereny, then when i learn some chords on piano i transcribed the song to piano

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Clemente
Experience:Bunch of years as a teenager. Stopped playing/studying piano for a whole bunch of years, and just came back to playing and taking lessons a year and four months ago.
Home page link:http://pianoandstrings.com
Title of piece:Andalucia
Composer:Ernesto Lecuona
Duration:03:04
Instrument used:Boston Baby Grand piano
Recording method:ZOOM video recorder
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:I read the first page of this pice on December 6th, 2011. The subsequent weeks were a joke which included 4 new teachers in a span of a month. Finally, on found a new teacher and the piece was picked up again at the end of January, concentrating on this piece every other week. It needs a little bit more of tender loving care. smile
If you wish to view the video, you are welcome to go to: http://www.pianoandstrings.com
Click on the "Videos" page.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Norrec (Tim)
Experience:Started playing about 2 years ago, but with a one year break. Been back to playing for two months.
Title of piece:Beaming Sunlight
Composer:Michiru Oshima
Duration:01:30
Source of music:I played using sheet music transcribed by 'Snomits' availible at the following link,http://snomits.net/sheets.php?x=anime
Instrument used:Keyboard, Yamaha YPG-235
Recording method:Lacking a USB cable, I carried the keyboard to my computer and laid my microphone directly over one of the speakers. I then recorded with Audacity.
Additional info:I watched the Full Metal Alchemist anime on Netflix following my brothers recomendation, I was impressed with much of the music from it and, having recently begun playing piano, I found what sheet music I could. It wasn't until after my break that I actually attempted to learn to play any of it. Thanks goes to Derulux and packa for helping me with the finguring for the section starting at 25 seconds. The only other sturggle I had with this peice was the first sheet music I tried to use contained either errors or notation that was confusing to me, Snomits's version was much clearer.

This is my first time playing anything outside of Alfred's Adult Piano Level 1 and my first time recording. I found recording harder than I expected because every time I listen I hear a mistake and want to try again. I finally settled on this being 'good enough' with time running out.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:notbach
Experience:15 months
Title of piece:To a Wild Rose (Op.51 No. 1)
Composer:Edward MacDowell
Duration:02:10
Source of music:'Piano Classics' compilation (Fall River Press)
Instrument used:Bosendorfer B-200 (1979)
Recording method:Zoom H4n with built-in microphones
Additional info:As usual, I was caught unawares by the recital announcement, only this time I had no ready-to-go pieces to record. I thought it would be fun to start a new piece and see how far I could get with it by the deadline.

It's not perfect, but I'm pretty happy overall. I'm getting better at playing through mistakes, and I've left a few in this recording for discipline (haha).

Oh yeah, I've never heard a performance of To a Wild Rose, so I have no idea how far I am from the 'standard' interpretation. Any performance advice would be most welcome (wouter79, you have advanced permission to comment!).

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:lyricmudra
Experience:Learned classical piano as a child until I was 13 or 14 years old. Did not touch the piano for some 35 years until about three years ago. I have not taken piano lessons since childhood but I plan to find a teacher in the near future.
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQIVp_72V60
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/user/lyricmudra
Title of piece:Sheep May Safely Graze (from J.S. Bach's Birthday Cantata)
Composer:J.S. Bach (arranged by Egon Petri)
Duration:04:29
Instrument used:Kawai RX-2 Blak
Recording method:Zoom H4N (audio) and Kodak Zi8 (video)
Additional info:When I heard this piece months ago it sounded simple, but it turned to be harder to learn than my previous May recital piece! My current rendition of it needs more work technically (there are wrong and missed notes), needs improvement in voicing, and has to mature more in expression, I believe. This is what I have so far. It is a work in progress. :-)

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:RedKat
Experience:Experience: Had to follow compulsory "basic" piano during my violin study as a child. Well, it was very formal, just for the record. Now, has been playing for almost 2 years after a 30 year break
Title of piece:Waltz, B minor, Op. 69 n. 2
Composer:Chopin
Duration:03:56
Source of music:Memorized sheet
Instrument used:Essex EUP-123
Recording method:Zoom H1 WAV 48/24, Audacity to convert to mp3 192kbs
Additional info:I think this is one of the most beautiful waltzes ever written. Hence, my desire of playing it doesn't need any explanation. Yet, I found it challenging and a little bit beyond my current abilities to play in a really comfortable way (you will hear wrong notes here and there, etc.; even the pure length of the piece plus the red dot pressure makes it quite difficult to play without any mistakes). Still, I hope you will enjoy this Chopin's jewel.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Grouchomarx
Experience:3-4 years
Title of piece:Hungarian Rhapsody 2 Lassan (no Friska)
Composer:Franz Liszt
Duration:05:21
Instrument used:Digital piano roland hp305
Recording method:Audacity
Additional info:Hadn't visited the site in some time and recalled that the recital would probably be around now. With less than a day worth of time I had no choice but to take the audio from an old video and upload that. Would have like to make a new recording of the piece but noticed that I couldn't play it properly anymore.
With a bit more time I probably would have been able to upload the piece that I'm currently working on(rach op 32 no 12). The piece that I uploaded instead is the first part of Liszt famous Hungarian rhapsody no. 2.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Tiago84
Experience:5 months
Title of piece:Prelude in E minor (Op28 No4)
Composer:Chopin
Duration:02:29
Instrument used:Kawai CN-33
Recording method:Reaper
Additional info:Work in progress, oh and ribs!

I've messed up in some parts, already showed it to my teacher and she pointed out the parts I can improve. It has been a lot of fun laugh

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:AndyMc
Experience:15 yrs, off and on
Video link:http://youtu.be/Lhq7Al3US44
Home page link:http://www.lineandlandscape.com
Title of piece:Riverlights #1
Composer:original composition
Duration:02:59
Source of music:Sheet music: http://db.tt/BO00fIAH
Instrument used:Kohler & Campbell
Recording method:iPhone
Additional info:I'm new to the forum; thanks for the opportunity to participate.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:yohyrral (= Larry Hoy)
Experience:30 years (mostly) off and more on since I acquired a real piano of my own
Title of piece:Three Themes for Piano
Composer:Lawrence Hoy
Duration:08:34
Source of music:Original composition play by ear
Instrument used:J&C Fischer Baby Grand rebuilt c. 2009, vintage unknown- 1920's or 30's
Recording method:zoom H2

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission