2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 27th quarterly Adult Beginners' Forum Recital! smile So, pull up a chair and have a listen.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the audience to please refrain from commentary in this recital room.

A separate room has been provided for the purposes of intermezzo discussion. Please take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room.

Thank you!

In addition to the zip files linked below, mahlzeit has added a feature to his program that creates an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Online Streaming Player

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:

Recital #27 Response Template

For the convenience of forum members, mahlzeit's program has normalized the files for consistent volume and standardized the ID3 tags in a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Zip 1
Zip 2
Zip 3
Zip 4
Zip 5
Zip 6
Zip 7
Zip 8
Zip 9

And here's the link to Sam S.'s terrific ABF recital index, that allows you to browse through and search for pieces in all of our past recitals:

ABF Recital Index

Let me express my greatest thanks to some very special people: mr_super-hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; LaValse for hosting the recitals for so long and then devoting hours of programming trouble-shooting making the transition to Frank's servers; Frank for agreeing to host the recital now that it's gotten so big; Copper for trouble-shooting help and the Order of the Red Dot; Sam S. for his terrific AB Forum Recital Index and also devoting hours to programming trouble-shooting; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using. THANK YOU MAHLZEIT!!! heart

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:wouter79
Experience:2.5 years
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:La Poule (Nouvelles suites de pieces de clavecin, No.12)
Composer:Jean-Philippe Rameau
Duration:04:32
Source of music:sheet music, played from memory
Instrument used:Grotrian-Steinweg 189
Recording method:DPA4060, EMU0404, Jecklin Disk
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:Jean-Philippe Rameau wrote this around 1726. This suite is a set of small pieces, and this is the 12th part. The title is "the hen" in French. You can hear the hens clucking and chasing each other, suddenly standing still for a moment and then cackling on.
Rameau does not put any speed indications at all in his Suites, and performances vary wildly, I found anything between 104 and 144. However he gives an important clue in this piece by writing 'co co co co co coco dai' under the first notes. I take this as the clucking of the hens. This gives me a speed of at least quarter note 144. Sokolov has a wonderful performance at that speed but I can't play it now at that speed. I'm pushing hard though, sorry for the missed notes because of that!
This is written for (double manual?) harpsichord so I do a lot of staccato to keep the sound clear. Since my piano has only one keyboard, there are various places where the hands overlap very tightly, it took me some fiddling to make this work.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:dannylux / Mel
Experience:Six and a half years after starting again. Lots as a kid.
Title of piece:Bortkiewicz Lyrica Nova Op.59 No.3
Composer:Sergei Bortkiewicz
Duration:03:24
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha P140
Recording method:Piano line-out to computer sound card line-in. Audacity. No edits.
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:Sergei Bortkiewicz wrote Lyrica Nova Op.59 No.3 in 1940, and like all of his music, it's filled with beautiful melodies and lush harmonies.
The piece is in typical ABA form, first melody in F# major, 2nd melody in d# minor, and a repeat of the first melody.
This is the 4th Bortkiewicz piece I've submitted to the ABF Recitals. Hope you like it.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:BenPiano
Experience:3 years
Video link:http://youtu.be/lnkImQ-EGy8
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
Title of piece:Prelude Op. 17 No 6
Composer:Scriabin
Duration:02:01
Source of music:Faber Music - "Romantic Piano Repertoire, Level 1"
Instrument used:Kawai K5
Recording method:Zoom H1 for audio
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:I didn't include the key this piece was written in. It's Scriabin, so it doesn't really matter. smile

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Jazzwee
Experience:7.75
Title of piece:Invitation
Composer:Bronislau Kaper
Duration:03:32
Source of music:Real Book - Lead Sheet. Completely improvised.
Instrument used:Chickering Grand Piano at a Church
Recording method:I used a Zoom H4. This was a live performance. The recording was done in a church so it's a bit boomy and echoey. The piano was far back and the Zoom doesn't give a good balance. But this is an unprofessional live recording.
Additional info:This tune is an advanced jazz piece with a really complex harmony.

What you will be hearing is the beginning of the piano solo section of the peformance. I had no idea what I would be playing until I got to it. The second half of what you hear (after the clapping) is the original melody (head) of Invitation which is used to close out the tune.

Now as far as my approach to soloing on this, I went with just a simple melodic approach. No pyrotechnics but just a mellow approach. I rarely play like this so it was a nice change. But like I said, I didn't plan this, that's just the way it came out.

The original recording is very long (14 minutes or so). So I chopped off the beginning section. This cuts it down to about 3 minutes. I'm sure you don't have the patience to listen to the whole thing, but if you do, the full recording is here:

https://www.box.com/s/304073afa3f7ca65f50b

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Inlanding - Glen
Experience:Off and on for years
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/inlandings
Title of piece:Warum? Op 12 No 3
Composer:Robert Schumann
Duration:02:59
Source of music:Sheet Music
Additional info:This is one of eight pieces from, Fantasiestucke, written in 1837, based on characters in Novellas written by his favorite author, E.T.A Hoffmann, then dedicated to an 18 year-old Scottish pianist, Anna Robena Laidlaw, with whom he shared a brief flirtation.

One of the many aspects that fascinates me about this piece is that it seems to move with gentle questioning, then ends with in inconclusive answer, hence the title. Schumann wrote so many wonderful pieces and this series is one of my favorites. I tried to capture it as well as my abilities allow.

My Dad used to play this one-pager expertly and I am fortunate to play it on his piano.

I recorded this awhile back before surgery and listening to it again is motivation for me to want to play regularly again and eventually take lessons.

For lunch, it was a falafel sandwich and lentil soup.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Mr Super Hunky
Experience:7
Title of piece:There is love (The wedding song)
Composer:Peter, Paul & Mary
Duration:03:16
Source of music:Played by ear (noodle method)
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin BB
Recording method:Zoom H2
Additional info:I recently heard this tune on the radio and thought to myself "I've gotta learn this piece" as it was so beautiful.

I've given up on finding sheet music for much of what I play since a lot of it is not written for solo piano so the 'noodle method' was used once again...(Pound it out and memorize it).

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:SwissMS
Experience:About 4 years off and on. Resumed playing in Jan 2011 after a two year break.
Title of piece:Nocturne in Eb Op. 9 Nr. 2
Composer:Chopin
Duration:04:39
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Yamaha Avant Grand N2
Recording method:Line out to H2 Zoom
Additional info:When I first returned to piano as an adult, this was the first Chopin that my teacher back in the states assigned to me after the method books. I fell in love with it! I could not really play it very well back then, so I decided to relearn it this spring.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:CarlosCC
Experience:2y8m (self-learning since Dec2009)
Title of piece:Ambers
Composer:Long, Helen Jane
Duration:03:36
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha P85
Recording method:Captured from Piano to PC with Audicity.
Additional info:I did a break in my studies of Einaudi to work on this litle piece wroten by Helen Jane Long. I don't know if I made the right decision... This piece has a nice melody and I was engaged with his delicacy from the first beginning. After some bars I was a little disappointed with this solo version because it seems to me that the arrangement was not perfect for a version without accompaniment - the original song has some instruments sustaining the melody in the background -.
Anyway, and despite not being totally in love with it, I decided to play and not to change the original sheet; I only added a little bit of speed.
It was played by memory. I hope you enjoy it.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Diana
Experience:5 months
Title of piece:Raymond - Theme from Overture
Composer:Ambroise Thomas
Duration:00:45
Source of music:Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course book 2
Instrument used:Digital piano

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Recaredo (Ricardo)
Experience:One year plus six months
Title of piece:Piano sonata No 25 Op 79. Second movement.
Composer:Ludwig van Beethoven
Duration:02:57
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai CN 33
Recording method:Digital piano to PC. Software: Audacity.
Additional info:This piece was, and is, above my level. Probably, I made a mistake learning it, and I might have spent this time improving my poor technique and sight-reading. But I truly wanted to play Beethoven.

Thanks for listening!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Jazztpt
Experience:35+
Video link:https://www.box.com/s/4c552ef4e1515b8ddd20
Title of piece:Lament
Composer:Original composition
Duration:04:42
Source of music:Original
Instrument used:Roland 101e Digital
Recording method:Digital to PC (Audacity)
Additional info:I don't usually write too much about my music but I would like to say a few things about this piece.
I wrote this tune many years ago after losing someone close to me, it was written for flugelhorn ( for me to play) but I have never played it anywhere.
I don't play horns anymore but I have always played it on piano so I know it well and of course over the years it has changed a bit. I did post a version of it to the Piano Bar about a year ago(with a different title) but after posting it I wasn't happy with the arrangment, the playing or the improvisation - pretty much the whole thing really !

I recorded this version right after the last recital, it wasn't intended to be for the recital but I was happy with the way it turned and so thought I would share it here.

I stick pretty close to the melody throughout but there is some improvisation during the 2nd chorus. Nothing technical about the music, my aim was to try and capture the emotion of the song so I am keen to find how this comes across to the audience.

Thanks for listening.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:(Was)TrueBeginner
Experience:4+ years
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ7_6ae-L6M
Title of piece:Goodnight Kiss
Composer:Original
Duration:03:02
Source of music:Self-composition
Instrument used:Essex Upright piano
Recording method:used Flip camera then extracted mp3 using Super
Additional info:I hope you guys like it.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:kenjazz
Experience:3.5 years
Home page link:http://kenblog05.blogspot.com
Title of piece:A House Is Not A Home
Composer:Bacharach/David
Duration:07:30
Source of music:My own arrangement loosely patterned after arrangement by jazz pianist David Hazeltine.
Instrument used:Schimmel upright
Recording method:Zoom H3/Audacity. Additional instrumentation provided by Band in a Box 2012.
Additional info:This was my first attempt trying to feature a drummer in a jazz arrangement. It was also my first try at such fast speeds (191 BPM)

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Amaruk
Experience:No idea... Took piano lessons as a child for a few years.
Video link:http://youtu.be/o2ebPY_l52Y
Title of piece:Sur le fil
Composer:Yann Tiersen
Duration:03:56
Source of music:Yann Tiersen's sheet music collection "Six pieces pour piano: Vol. 2".
Instrument used:Roland RD-700NX digital piano set to the "Concert Grand" sound.
Recording method:Recorded as a .wav file directly to a USB stick on the digital piano. Converted to .mp3 file on my computer.
Additional info:I simply love this piece and it is very fun to play. It starts out quite simple but I find it challenging in many sections. I find the rhythm interesting and it is fun that you have to cross your arms while playing! I hope I do the piece justice with this performance.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Sam S
Experience:4 years back after 30+ years off.
Title of piece:Prelude and Fugue X WTC1
Composer:J.S. Bach
Duration:05:39
Source of music:Henle urtext
Instrument used:Yamaha UX1
Additional info:This is still a work in progress, but I am going to shelve it for awhile and come back to it later, so I thought a recording now would be a good thing.

This is my first P&F, and was probably not a good one to start with. The prelude is very difficult and requires a lot of control to play well. Did I mention trills and ornaments? They are a real bear to play smoothly. And then there is the sudden presto (surprise!).

I got conflicting advice on the transition to the presto from two different teachers. One wanted a gradual speedup, the other wanted no speedup, just a sudden tempo change. For this recording, it is a surprise presto.

The fugue is "only" 2 voices, but don't let that fool you into thinking it is easy. Bach is so clever - I am told that if you change just a couple of notes in this fugue then it would wander through all the keys before returning to where it started. The two notes as written by Bach enable it to return to the original key sooner. Those must be the two notes I keep missing!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:forty years with a few years of lessons
Title of piece:Mazurka #4 in A Minor
Composer:Chopin
Duration:04:14
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Pramberger grand
Recording method:Metro/mac
Additional info:I'm at a point right now in my playing where I'm not trying so much to tackle the "monumentally difficult" works that I will never master but rather going back to pieces that seemed fairly easy...like this one. Only the more I play the more I see how pieces such as this one are in fact incredibly difficult to play well. I keep thinking I'm playing it well, then record it and hear how far from "well" I am. That all said... I am by no means done with this mazurka but here is the best recording I have so far.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:ladypayne
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQMbAFpkp2E&list=UUpam4VQFISGJYmRx5gjmJHQ&index=1&feature=plcp
Title of piece:A New Change
Composer:ladypayne
Duration:02:13
Source of music:my own score
Instrument used:Casio Privia
Recording method:zoom h1
Additional info:I wrote this particular piece of music and decided to call it A new change which I dedicated to my new life in Alaska. I just recently drove 4k miles from Michigan to Alaska all by myself! I packed up my stuff and it took me 7 and a half days to drive to Alaska. What a trip! I drove through parts of the United States and through Canada which included Alberta, British Columbia, and the Yukon Territory. I also created a video which includes some of my photos from driving in Alaska and on the Alaska Highway that runs through Canada starting in British Columbia and ends in Alaska. Funny short story: When I was driving through Michigan, a cop pulled me over..I was like oh oh and cmon I haven't event left Michigan yet!.. maybe I was speeding right? Nope.. Turns out the cop thought I had too much stuff in my back seat! lol. He asked me how am I suppose to back out and see anything coz my back seat was too pack full of stuff. I kindly explained I was moving to Alaska and then he said he would be a little understanding and let me go.. Phew lol.. That was the only time I got pulled over :P Anyway hope you enjoy the song!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Riddler (Ed)
Experience:Two or three years of lessons as a kid; three years of jazz lessons as an adult; and a lifetime of noodling and playing by ear.
Home page link:http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:Slaughter On Tenth Avenue
Composer:Richard Rogers
Duration:06:32
Source of music:Based loosely on the standard sheet music.
Instrument used:Yamaha P-120
Recording method:Pianoteq
Additional info:Slaughter on Tenth Avenue is a jazzy ballet piece written by Richard Rodgers in the 1930s. It was part of a broadway musical comedy, and was also used in a movie.

For me, this has been a long time in the making.

When I was a teenager (1950s), I really wanted to learn this piece and play it in the annual recital organized by my teacher, who was a sweet little old lady who lived up the street - let's call her Mrs Calabash. Unfortunately, that sweet little old lady had ideas of her own, one of which was that there would be no "undignified" music in her recitals. I played something else, then quit taking lessons (what a fateful blunder!).

It has been on my mind all these years.

Now, don't expect me to say that playing this piece in a recital is the fulfillment of a lifelong dream, or to say it has been on my bucket list, etc. Nope, not gonna go there. But, well..., Mrs Calabash, if you are out there, would you please take a minute to listen, and tell me honestly, don't you hear the power and the majesty in that ending? And BTW, I'm sorry I have not really improved much over all these years. I know, I shoulda worked on those scales and Hanons, like you told me.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Greener / Jeff Green
Experience:On and off (mostly off) for years ... since about the age of 12. That's along time smile. But, only more disciplined approach to expanding repertoire, practicing and concerted effort towards learning, in the past 2 years.
Home page link:http://www.greenermarketing.ca
Title of piece:Schindler's List - Theme
Composer:John Williams
Duration:01:46
Source of music:Youtube tutorial for the main elements. Other Youtube videos for ideas on expression and attempting to improve on the tutorial arrangement.
Instrument used:Samick SU-105 40" console (acoustic)
Recording method:ADK A-51 Large Diaphragm Condenser Mic, Audio Technica AT8010 Small Diaphragm Condenser Mic, to M-Audio interface (pre-amp), to Audacity.
Additional info:"This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf." Itzhak Stern

John Williams composed the score for Schindler's List. The composer was amazed by the film, and felt it would be too challenging. He said to Spielberg, "You need a better composer than I am for this film." Spielberg replied, "I know. But they all dead!"

Williams approaches the horrors on screen with a beauty so primordial that the score is dripping with romantic heartbreak at each of its harmonic turns.

The album won the Academy Award and the BAFTA Award for "Best Original Score" and the Grammy Award for "Best Instrumental Composition Written for a Motion Picture or for Television". It was also nominated for a Golden Globe.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission