Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
140 registered (ajames, accordeur, 36251, anamnesis, Alexander Borro, 40 invisible), 1647 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1943217 - 08/15/12 01:43 PM Playing in restaurants
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Some of you here will have. The one I played in was very nice, and was attached to a holiday park. Which meant the level of sophistication was not so high, a bit like my own.

Children were present. More than that, the little dears were charging around causing mayhem, even when the flambe dishes were evident . . and the noise! Adults talking, or attempting to talk above the kids.

And then there was me. Playing an octave higher than usual so as to cut through the general hubub . . .

Some of these folk had serious money and lived on the site. Never worked; how their income was generated was none of my business, but conversations would indicate strange goings on . . .and wine loosens the tongue somewhat.

There was the 75 yo barman who got propositioned by a woman half his age . .and lived to tell the tale (!)

I felt like a living CCTV camera. But my memory`s bad . .

Over to you lot . . !!

""

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1943229 - 08/15/12 02:02 PM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: peterws]
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
Restaurants are a place where you can go to perform and be ignored. It adds an element of sophistication but doesn't add a lot to the fine arts in general. There will always be people talking, eating, and drinking, and ignoring you. Don't play an octave higher to cut through the din, just accept it for what it is - you are background music and not center stage. It's nothing at all like playing a concert, but if it pays the bills, so be it.

#1943234 - 08/15/12 02:09 PM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: peterws]
Sir Lurksalot Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Consider posting your story in the Non Classical Pianists forum, where a lot of similar discussion takes place.

#1943241 - 08/15/12 02:33 PM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: Sir Lurksalot]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Tanks for that, man, I`ll look in.

""

#1943243 - 08/15/12 02:35 PM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: Sir Lurksalot]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

"Don't play an octave higher to cut through the din,"

I had to, otherwise I would`ve known what I was playing . . headpones would be a bit naff . . . Must admit, there were laughs along the way. And you develop your own style!

""

#1943276 - 08/15/12 03:36 PM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: peterws]
Piano*Dad Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
My son occasionally wandered to a piano in restaurants. He played standard classical repertoire, not improv. I really liked the establishment that sent a full tray of desserts to our table after he finished a set of pieces. grin
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1943306 - 08/15/12 04:48 PM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: peterws]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Okay, I suppose I have a tendency to be just a bit unorthodox regarding some matters… (Perhaps a lot of matters smile ).

A few years ago, after church one Sunday, we were eating dinner at a nice restaurant in Warm Springs Georgia… (think of the former President Franklin D. Roosevelt; that’s where he spent a lot of time during his presidency). It was a very nice restaurant with excellent food. There was a fairly attractive older lady playing an old upright piano, which seemed to be tuned well. Her by-ear playing was very good… phenomenal even.

Problem was, when I listen to music, especially live music, I want to listen closely and intently. My ears are trained to hone in on the music very precisely. On the other hand, when I’m eating, my brain is trained to focus on what I’m eating and how it looks on the plate, and how it taste. My brain was somewhat confused as to which sense to allow to be dominant.

Now, I suppose some folks can multi-task and chew chewing gum, pat themselves on the head and rub their stomach all at the same time; but when I’m eating a nice meal, I do not particularly like to hear music, especially live music; and, when I’m listening to music, I do not like to eat at the same time. My senses seem to want to focus intently on one or the other, and not both at the same time. Ultimately, one is a distraction over the other.

Well, like I said, I know I’m a weirdo… smile

Rick

#1943316 - 08/15/12 05:04 PM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: Rickster]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

I can Identify wi that. If there`s music playing for instance, in a pub, I find it hard to hold a conversation. And any social athering seems to attract music these days!
I never have music on at home.

""

#1943419 - 08/15/12 08:56 PM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: peterws]
thetandyman Offline

Loc: Indiana
Rickster, I'm with you. I'm an active listener, not a passive one. Even at home, I don't have music playing unless I am actively listening to it. I will never forget a restaurant in the Chicago area many years ago, which featured a former accordion player. He had never mastered the bass pedals, so he just occasionally pumped the low "C" pedal in time with the music. Most OK, I could not stand it.

#1943421 - 08/15/12 09:01 PM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: peterws]
thetandyman Offline

One more post, back in the "20's and '30's, famous theater organist Jesse Crawford used to play music for large crowds. It is told, that when the audience recognized the tune and started to sing along, he would close the swell shades, and cut to a quieter registration to discourage them, and encourage active listening. Uppity? I don't think so, He felt that he shouldn't pander to the crowd, rather, educate them in new thoughts. (He was the Michael Jackson of the organ world in the 1920's)

#1943683 - 08/16/12 10:52 AM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: thetandyman]
Annitenth Offline

Loc: Texas
My favorite restaurant in Dallas, where we go for all birthdays and anniversaries, is a rather small place with beautiful piano music being played. The food's good, the service very nice, but the piano is what makes the place for me.

There used to be a harp place in town as well, but that has bit the dust. Maybe too many people agree with those of you who can't eat and listen at the same time. smile

#1943724 - 08/16/12 11:29 AM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: Rickster]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rickster
. . . I do not particularly like to hear music, especially live music; and, when I’m listening to music, I do not like to eat at the same time. My senses seem to want to focus intently on one or the other, and not both at the same time. Ultimately, one is a distraction over the other.

Well, like I said, I know I’m a weirdo… smile

Rick

You are not a weirdo, Rick, you are a musician. That is why you focus on the music. laugh

#1943853 - 08/16/12 01:58 PM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: peterws]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
A number of years ago the Muehlebach Hotel in Kansas City had a Sunday brunch which featured a harpist on a rotating platform. Aural as well as visual. That's just too over the top!

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1944047 - 08/16/12 06:42 PM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: peterws]
thetandyman Offline

Marty, if you throw a cheese wheel hard enough at a harp, it slices it nicely.
Unfortunately, harpists don't care for this procedure. LOL

#1944068 - 08/16/12 07:28 PM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: thetandyman]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
I grew up in Wisconsin and that behavior is reserved for only the finest of restaurants. The masters of the art only aim at revolving harps. whistle

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1944076 - 08/16/12 07:53 PM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: peterws]
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1944109 - 08/16/12 09:08 PM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: Annitenth]
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: Annitenth
My favorite restaurant in Dallas, where we go for all birthdays and anniversaries, is a rather small place with beautiful piano music being played. The food's good, the service very nice, but the piano is what makes the place for me.

Annitenth, I live in the Dallas area, too, and I've been looking for a restaurant like that for a long time. Can you tell me the name and location?

#1944431 - 08/17/12 11:28 AM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: peterws]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

There is a regional cafeteria chain here called Furr's. When I was a kid the one in Midland had live piano music on Sundays. I remember a grand piano played by an older black gentleman, but I do not recall what style of music he played. It was a long time ago. This was a moderately priced family cafeteria, not an upscale restaurant. Of course in those days (1960's) eating out was reserved for special occasions for most people. Furr's still exists. The same location is open. Of course it's been remodeled a few times since then. It's still popular with the after church crowd. Sadly, there has been no piano there for at least 40 years.

flickr

#1944463 - 08/17/12 12:36 PM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: peterws]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: peterws
...If there`s music playing for instance, in a pub, I find it hard to hold a conversation...

You can always text message the others at your table while you enjoy the music.
wink

#1944599 - 08/17/12 04:52 PM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: ChrisKeys]
Annitenth Offline

Originally Posted By: ChrisKeys
Annitenth, I live in the Dallas area, too, and I've been looking for a restaurant like that for a long time. Can you tell me the name and location?

With pleasure. It's St. Martin's Wine Bistro at 3020 Greenville (what I'd call lower Greenville). I don't know how to put in a link here, but you can read about them at www.stmartinswinebistro.com.

(Hey, I see the link comes in automatically. smile )

Perhaps you'd better call to make sure when the pianist will be there. If you decide to go, I hope you enjoy it.

#1944678 - 08/17/12 06:42 PM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: peterws]
thetandyman Offline

Many years ago in the '80's, I had an experience in Savannah GA. I drove over from Hilton Head because I wanted to hear some jazz. After I left one club, they told me I should see Emma Kelly who played at a Johnny Mercer themed joint overlooking the waterfront. When I got there, it was early, and nobody was there. I talked to the bartender for a few minutes, and he said Emma would be there in about a half an hour. He told me I was free to play a tune or two on the piano. There were two pianos there, a baby grand, and an old upright. The baby grand was missing an F key, so I sat at the upright and played a couple of 1920's pieces. It wasn't long before this little old woman looked around the upright and said "I thought it was an old man playing all these songs". I stoped playing to meet her, and she told me to stay put and play some with her. Well, we played all night, about 4 hours, and had such great fun. She was later featured in a movie called "Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil". I visited her again shorlty after that movie, and she was playing at another club, and was playing a S&S L.
She remembered me, and we talked, but I didn't play this time. She had a few 8X10 pictures of her in the film. She passed before I got back there again.

#1944690 - 08/17/12 07:26 PM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: peterws]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
That was a great story, thetandyman. I enjoyed reading it very much! I have an aunt that lives in Savannah.

It sounds like you have met and tickled the ivorys with some famous artists. smile

Heck, it sounds like you are a famous artist! smile

Take care,

Rick

#1944799 - 08/18/12 12:20 AM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: peterws]
thetandyman Offline

Rickster, ANYTHING BUT!, but I'm sure many of us have a story we cherish. Your kind comments make Piano World a nice place to spend some time.

#1945030 - 08/18/12 11:58 AM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: peterws]
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: pagosa springs,co
Years back I was playing @ The Rancho Bernardo Inn [ north of San Diego,if you know the area....a gorgeous venue]. They had a nice Steinway on a nicely elevated area placely about midway through the beautiful dining area. I had worked hard on a condensed version of 'Rhapsody in Blue' and was excited to give it a try....during the time I played there I always had positive encourgament from the diners so I figured what the heck.
After I finished playing [having to put some proper weight on the final chords] out of the corner of my eye I see a man standing and I thought ' OMG, I am getting a standing ovation'...when I looked over at the man I could clearly see he was motioning for me to pipe down. Probably haven't played that piece in that situation again besides today I find that Steinway in rather poor condition.

rada

#1945213 - 08/18/12 09:43 PM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: Annitenth]
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: Annitenth
It's St. Martin's Wine Bistro at 3020 Greenville (what I'd call lower Greenville). I don't know how to put in a link here, but you can read about them at www.stmartinswinebistro.com.

Great, thanks! Each year my wife and I enjoy a special anniversary dinner out on the town. Once, a long time ago, the restaurant had a piano (and pianist), and I got to sit down and play my love a song or two. Been wanting to do that ever since, but the old restaurant isn't there, and I haven't found another. This'll give me something to consider.

#1945265 - 08/19/12 12:26 AM Re: Playing in restaurants [Re: Annitenth]
Annitenth Offline

Quote:
It's St. Martin's Wine Bistro at 3020 Greenville (what I'd call lower Greenville). I don't know how to put in a link here, but you can read about them at www.stmartinswinebistro.com.

Try to reserve the semi-private room (for 2 or 4) in the back. Close enough to hear the piano but far enough away to carry on a conversation.

Edited by Annitenth (08/19/12 12:27 AM)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Old should Bass Strings be Before You Replace Them?
by Paul678
11/28/14 11:03 AM
My Blthner
by joe80
11/28/14 10:30 AM
What to teach before transferring to a jazz teacher
by hreichgott
11/28/14 10:06 AM
Neo-soul keys on Steinberg's half-price sale
by dire tonic
11/28/14 09:13 AM
Bob Marley - Is this love piano cover
by Danijelcro
11/28/14 07:28 AM
Forum Stats
77074 Members
42 Forums
159417 Topics
2341806 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission