2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (CharlesXX, bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
11. Jazztpt - Lament
You have created a somewhat dark and meditative mood with this piece. This is one of the more expressive performances of the recital.

12. (Was)TrueBeginner - Goodnight Kiss
How coincidental that you follow Jazztpt with another poignant and melancholy original composition. Nice.

13. kenjazz - A House Is Not A Home
This really got my feet tapping. This is a Professional level performance and recording.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
14. Amaruk - Sur le fil
Well played. I like the red lighting in your video. You do a very good job of maintaining the tempo.

15. Sam S - Prelude and Fugue X WTC1
I’ve enjoyed observing the evolution of your playing over the last couple of years. You strike me as someone who is really working on developing their craft and your efforts are obviously paying dividends. I love the crispness of the faster passages (is that presto??). A very enjoyable listen.

16. Peyton - Mazurka #4 in A Minor
You seem to have given this a little jazz/bluesy flair that I was not expecting. Very cool. Kind of miss your signature artsy video.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
D
D
Tough to know where to start - so thought I'd start by listening to all the Chopin since its all stuff I'm familiar with:

In general the standard was high! - Dont any of you guys ever play wrong notes? Obviously a lot of careful practice and preparation around here! Make me feel kinda ashamed at my always untidy efforts.

SwissMS - Nocturne Eflat Op9#2
Beautifully played. Its such a simple sound this nocturne - but that simplicity really bites you in the bum if you stuff up. - You DIDNT stuff up and the result was fantastic. If pressed for a criticism I'd say there was some uneveness in the RH runs that 'd prefer to be more equal (I probably play them more equal but with fistfulls of bum notes - so on balance your approach is better!). I love the brave slow start to the final cadenza-ish trill - really 'hold your breath and wait for it' stuff!

22 Lady Chen - Nocturne Emin Op72#1
I love this nocturne and often have a stab at it myself. Your last page was fantastic (much tidier than I ever manage)with a real dark mood to it that I liked right up until the lightness of the final coda. If I had to offer any criticism I'd say that some of your right hand melody on the first page was a little harsh - but its really tough to project a nice tone without it coming across that way (I'm not saying I can do any better by the way!)

34 Andy Platt - Prelude Emin Op28#4
Initially your left hand chords were a little unsteady. I've heard plenty of people talk about Chopin rubato suggesting that your LH should be fairly metronomic, with the RH doing all the variation for expression. Obviously thats overstating the case a little, but I think its something for all of us to bear in mind when getting indulgent with Chopin's work. Your dynamic build through the piece was great and there was plenty of control at the ending. Very beautiful.

55 RedKat - Waltz Bmin
I think this may be my favourite Chopin waltz and you did a great job. Your tone is crisp and clear. I'm not convinced about all your rubato in the first section (and its reprisal), but perhaps its just *different* to how I'd do it? (I cant put my finger on what I'd do different - sorry!). Fantastic performance!

57 Tiago84 - Prelude Emin Op28#4
Great recording, really nice sound. Lovely playing of a beautiful piece. The holding back before the final 3 chords was just a little long but really draws the tension out! Absolutely stella effort for a few months of playing! Congratulations - keep going!!!!

(N.B. Any criticism are not meant negatively - I enjoyed everything immensely, but I know I like to hear suggestions of how I can improve, so I've tried to give some of that type of feedback to others - no matter how trivial the issues mentioned are. Well done everyone - you've killed my work productivity today!)

Parent....
Orchestral Viola player (stictly amateur)....
Hack Pianist.... (faded skills from glory days 20 yrs ago)
Vague Guitar & Bass player.... (former minor income stream 15 yrs ago)
Former conductor... (been a long time since I was set loose with a magic wand!)

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member
17. ladypayne - A New Change Absolutely beautiful! You have matured on the piano by leaps and bounds. I love the oboe-it gives your piece that plaintiff quality and moves into an exciting expectation to the middle section. Fabulous composition. Love the slide shoe and the recording is wonderful, too! Good luck in Alaska.

18. Riddler (Ed) - Slaughter On Tenth Avenue I always look forward to your submissions. This was an extra-special treat. So cool, I love it! It does have a movie/musical feel to it, but is made grander with your able fingers. I love how the theme has so many different moody variations, and you've given each a flavor all their own. I was dazzled!

19. Greener / Jeff Green - Schindler's List - Theme Welcome to the recital! Every time I hear this I get goosebumps....even now as I listen to your performance. Really well done. You've captured the heartbreak and glimmer of hope very well in your interpretation by keeping the haunting melody a little sparse - very fitting.

20. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Rigaudon & Entree Perfect choice in pairing the two pieces. They really flow together well. Rigaudon is played with the perfect touch and feeling. The Entree is assuredly played - your confidence is shining through. Nice duo you've presented. A completely pleasant listen!

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
11 jazztpt - Lament
This piece is dark and lush sounding. Nice performance.

12 (Was)TrueBeginner - Goodnight Kiss
This is also a dark moody piece. I'm not sure the title fits the mood of the piece. I think of a goodnight kiss as something a bit more positive. Nice music, though.

13 kenjazz - A House is Not a Home, Bacharach/David
You handle the speed well, kenjazz. If you aren't playing out somewhere, you should be. Nice!

14 Amaruk - Sur le Fil, Yann Tiersen
You have certainly done it justice, Amaruk. This is simply beautiful!

15 Sam S - Prelude and Fugue X WTC1, Bach
Those devilish ornaments that Bach used to torture pianists got you in a few places, but this is coming along nicely. You must have worked on the fast part in the prelude a lot. It sounds quite nice. I think the fugue is in better shape overall than the prelude. It's quite nicely done.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks to all your wonderful comments! Here's a few from me.

05. Inlanding - Glen - Warum? Op 12 No 3 Always looking forward to your fantastic piano touch and tone and it always never fails to give me goose pimples. So wonderful! Are you able to play now? Must be so impatient to get back.

08. CarlosCC - Ambers You are sounding so good now Carlos. You've come a long way from your dedication. Really good tone and evenness. Wonderful balance between the hands. Melody is brought out nicely. Great job. This is a nice piece too.

11. Jazztpt - Lament I swoon at the sound of those lush chords and complex harmony. Then combine that with your glorious piano touch and we're in heaven. Beautiful work.

13. kenjazz - A House Is Not A Home - I thought I was listening to a live trio (with better recording than mine!). You're really building a nice touch and feel already. It's really hard to sound remotely good so early in jazz and you are doing great so quickly. Excellent work.

18. Riddler (Ed) - Slaughter On Tenth Avenue Once again I am awed by the amount of music you know. I know that at every recital you will surprise me with some new tune. So well played and unlike your usual style of going with accompaniment. Nice change because it highlights your long developed piano skills. Lovely work.

22. Lady Chen - Nocturne in E minor, op. 72, no. 1 Excellent piano skills! Obviously no beginner and wonderful playing. Everything is so smoothly played and great balance between the hands and fingers. Fantastic tone. Bravo!

31. jotur/Cathy Turner - Dill Pickle Rag Wow. So well performed! Great tone on the piano and excellent rhythm. You have come so far from when I first came to ABF. Perfect!

33. knotty - Petite Fleur Of course I've heard this before and it's on Reverbnation. I just want to say that the recording is awesome. I've so far not found a good live environment where I'm able to take a nice recording. It's always noisy or too much carpeting or too boomy. Is this at your house? Great sounding comping work and soloing. Triplet 16ths now! Moving up in the chops world. I liked how you kept it simple. Excellent musicians all around.

34. Andy Platt - Prelude in E Minor (Opus 28, No 4) Nice balance between the hands Andy! Now this tune requires more advanced technique than is obvious and you are doing extremely well for 2 years of lessons. And you even can sense the tension in the LH. Well we all have it still so it does take awhile. I would develop a more consistent rhythm in the LH. Just because it's rubato doesn't mean the time wavers. The time stretch has to feel consistent. So think about that. Great work. Love it!

35. Newman - Desperado - You're playing wonderfully and accompanying yourself with such perfect rhythm. Doing great work and welcome to the recital. Excellent singing.

42. CMohr - Imagination Always looking forward to your playing especially your beautiful two handed voicings. You don't even realize how far you've gotten all these years. Beautiful work. You've begun to specialize in this kind of solo piano playing.

51. Clemente - Andalucia Nice legato playing and good piano tone Clemente. You're doing very well for so little instruction so far. Let's try to bring you to the next level. You ought to slow it down, particularly that left hand rhythm (maybe at least to 25%) and allow those muscles to develop. This is a difficult rhythm to be doing. And then bring down the touch a notch. You will find some magic weight that's a little less that will bring out the tone even more. Nice balance between the hands. Great work!

58. AndyMc - Riverlights #1 First of all welcome to the recital and thanks for your comments. Glad to have you here. Beautiful playing. I didn't realize it was an original composition. That makes it doubly special. Wonderful piano tone that's not so obvious given the iphone recording. Fantastic work.

60. BillM - Try A Little Tenderness Beautiful haunting tune. You played it wonderfully. Just loved the little tinkling you do on the keys. So smooth. And of course, great vocals as always.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
02. dannylux / Mel - Bortkiewicz Lyrica Nova Op.59 No.3 - Wow- splendid! I hope to play this sort of stuff in another 3 or so years (give or take 10 years). You played this beautifully!

03. BenPiano - Prelude Op. 17 No 6 - Dude, get a teacher!

04. Jazzwee - Invitation - Nice improv - the audience (including us) surely appreciated it! Your band sounds great!

05. Inlanding - Glen - Warum? Op 12 No 3 - You know, I think I'm a Schumann fan now after hearing this. I was never particularly impressed with pieces he wrote that were at my level, but time after time, I hear gems like this for more advanced players that are just exquisite and really inspire me to get to this level some day. There are so many layers to this, and you played them all perfectly enough to inspire a noob like me to learn one day. I hope you get well enough to play this again!

06. Mr Super Hunky - There is love (The wedding song) - Another beautiful submission for the recital - you're really an inspiration for those not taking formal piano lessons to just keep noodling around on the piano and figure it out. Not many can do it like you do - but we can all aspire to be almost as awesome. wink

15. Sam S - Prelude and Fugue X WTC1 - hehe, I'm working on a Bach invention right now - it's hard to appreciate his genius unless one has tried to decipher it! This sounds seriously difficult - I'm glad your playing it and not me! wink Very well done, and thanks again for maintaining the recital index! smile

16. Peyton - Mazurka #4 in A Minor - Wonderfully played - your ease with the piece makes it sound much less "monumentally difficult" than it is. I'm glad you submitted this!

24. Monica K. - Fairy Tale - I thought you played this wonderfully despite your reservations. Had I learned this, it would have been playing in my head as I traveled on several vacations over the past month - every new hill revealing its own fairy tale.

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B
Sorry if this is a bit cluttered, but its copied over from a Word doc for the most part

1.wouter79 – What catchy counterpoint. Overall, I really enjoyed the playing. Thanks for introducing me to some more Rameau – I’ll need to invest time into listening to more now.
2.dannylux – Those ARE some beautiful melodies, and you made them sing quite serenely. Thanks for sharing
3.benpiano – What calming playing – nice!
4.Jazzwee – I wish I could’ve made out your playing a little clearer, but what I could hear was great. I aspire to play jazz and improvise as comfortably as yourself one day.
5.Inlanding – Nice playing (that apparently runs in the family!). If you’re even sort of contemplating it, you really should look into lessons – if nothing else, it’s helped me personally stay more accountable with my learning and thus progress quicker (along with learning various things I wouldn’t have otherwise!)
6.Mr Super Hunky – What rich, delicate sounds you bring to life. If you ever do play at wedding venues, I’m sure your playing would make for the absolute perfect experience.
7.Swissms – Excellent tone and sense of rhythm – I’m envious.
8.CarlosCC – Beautiful, expressive playing.
9.Diana – What a wonderful little tune. Simple, of course, but as far as doing the most with the least goes, you really brought it to life. I look forward to hearing you play more in the future.
10.Recaredo – I also got a little ahead of myself choosing to learn the piece that I did. It may not have been the most EFFICIENT use of time, but when you can sit down and play that piece that just a short time ago you felt was impossible, but yet so breathtaking, it all feels worth it. Great job with what you have thus far, but don’t think the pedestal that is mastery over a Beethoven sonata doesn’t require a lot of time and effort to stand comfortably on!
11.Jazztpt – I think you did a good job articulating your feelings of loss in the composition. Very nice work
12.(Was)TrueBeginner – Nice composition
13.kenjazz – Quite the performance, sir. Loved to see just how much you put into the presentation. I enjoyed the rendition and will have to look up Hazeltine’s performance
14.Amaruk – Ah, I keep forgetting to learn some Yann Tiersen. A re-arranged Comptine d’un Autre (I think that was the title) was one of the many reasons I decided to pick up the instrument. The various compositions have such quaint, warm melodies. You did a good job bringing this one out.
15.Sam S – The E minor P+F is probably my favorite – especially the fugue! I agree that it’s arguably the most unique of Bach’s WTC having the only 2-voice fugue. Great job with it so far. If you aren’t already familiar with it, http://www2.nau.edu/tas3/wtc/i10.html#movie is a great resource for analysis and recordings not only on this particular fugue, but all the fugues of Bach’s WTC – check it out, it’s quite wonderful and, as interested in the WTC as you’ve come across in my short time here, likely of some value to you. I particularly like the analysis page (http://www2.nau.edu/tas3/wtc/) for picking out fugues to listen to.
16.Peyton – Such exquisitely clear note articulation – you exhibit a very professional touch here. Whether this piece could be considered "monumental" or not, I don't know - whatever the case, however, your playing very much IS monumental here.
17.ladypayne – I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that I’m such a big fan of your own work after how blown away I was at your composition from the last recital – I really feel you could score professionally (assuming you don’t already). This one has such a trance-like feeling about it and fits incredibly well with the video you made for it. Thanks for sharing and keep them coming! Most importantly, enjoy your new home in Alaska and best of luck settling in.
18.Riddler – Your playing conveyed what felt like unrequited feelings finally being able to be expressed through the medium that is piano – be it the playing, your description, or some combination of the two that made me think that, I certainly can’t say. Regardless, I absolutely your playing as well as that piece. I’m personally striving to branch out as much as musically possible in hopes that if and when I come to teach one day as I aspire to, I won’t be forced to turn a student away that enjoys something I can’t enjoy myself out of ignorance, or, far worse, instill a several-decade-long hatred of playing music.
19.Greener – I agree with your description of the piece. You did a good job expressing that “romantic heartbreak” feel.
20.Casinitaly – I like your approach to recording – maybe I’ll try employing it next time (I say that now until I screw up mid-take, haha). You did well with both pieces, especially the first, considering your self-restrictions.
21.timmyab – A very musical moment …musical. I especially enjoyed that forte (?) section and then it coming back to its original level.
22.Lady Chen – You portrayed the pieces haunting, yet beautiful qualities superbly. Absolutely loved your technique.
23.MrPozor – I’d have to see the score to really notice if you missed anything, but I thought you’re playing was really good, not even noticing that you’re self-taught of 4 months time. As far as just generic feedback on playing any piece, objectively identify problem areas and proactively set time aside to focus just on those areas as slowly as necessary several, several times over until you can play them as smoothly and unconsciously as all the rest. Be sure to check out the Adult Beginners Forum (which you’re on), the Pianist Corner, as well as possibly some of the others for advice and tips of all kinds.
24.Monica K. – As soon as your warm playing started, before I looked who it was, I thought the player had absolute mastery over their piece… and I continued to think as such throughout the music’s entirety. Though a simple piece technically, I think musically this is by far one of the standout performances up to this point.
25.Cookie74 – I’m not sure about the dynamics (as mentioned) having never played the piece, but thought you did a good job with it.
26.Mile Hi Steve – At first, I thought your description said 6 years public performance and thought that matched well with the excellent playing, but 6 months seems far too short to exhibit that sort of control over a performance. Quite a stand-out performance. Unfortunately I just noticed I had to follow you ahhhh! ha
27.bobpickle – Hah, your articulations are too exaggeratedly pronounced and rhythm inconsistent. It’s a good thing we’re smoothing that out, eh
28.joangolfing – A nice rendition of a Schumann work I hadn’t heard prior. Congratulations on the new grand – I’m jealous.
29.Mar_red – Quite the description! I can honestly say I listened intently through to the end and did enjoy it.
30.cscl – A nice rendition of a bagatelle I had not heard. I wish you the best with your new home for you and your piano.
31.jotur – A fun little song – I agree that it might be a bit more enjoyable faster paced, but still enjoyed it nonetheless.
32.Trapperjohn – I liked the cantabile playing and agree with you on the beauty of the piece.
33.knotty – I enjoyed your soloing.
34.Andy Platt – Excellent rendition of the prelude. My teacher presented me with this piece discussing freedom from notated rhythm while still retaining control and you did an exquisite job of this here. Thanks for sharing.
35.Newman – Great accompanying/cover! Impressive that you learned it by ear.
36.Copper – Good job, Copper.
37.Jake S – Very controlled and articulate playing for 7 months – nice dedication; was a very pleasant listen.
38.Augustina – Surprisingly good recording for a cell phone. Good cover.
39.Sand Tiger – Very nice little piece and good playing. Happy learning!
40.Serge88 – Nice cover – congratulations on learning it and I’m glad you had fun.
41.Starr Keys – Beautiful cover and excellent job arranging to best support your singing.
42.Cmohr – I love that you learned and played this at the request of your 90-year-old mother.
43.Clavboy – No matter how many covers of this prelude I hear, it still sounds pleasant – I find it unique in that respect. For what it’s worth, I think you played it well – it was a smooth, enjoyable interpretation and the first beat didn’t really stick out more than it should.
44.Ken. – As little a fan as I am of much dissonant music, I enjoyed your playing.
45.DaveinDenton – Such exquisitely delicate playing. You did a truly excellent job evoking the emotions of the piece.
46.MaryBee – Very Mozartian in its exactness. Excellent, controlled playing. I can see how you could fall in love with it like you did – I ought to look up the second movement.
47.Dadagain Daughter – Good playing. I can see what you meant when you said your daughter had a strong affinity for these works.
48.Dadagain – You certainly didn’t want to let your daughter out-do you, huh? wink A very musical and playful rendition here – quite enjoyable.
49.Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White (is that really your username? lol) - Sweet little cover.
50.Falmc – Very pleasant little piece – the ending could have a bit more of an “ending” feel to it, though. When in doubt, throwing in a IVI perfect cadence will finish a piece off.
51.Clemente – Excitable playing in a fun, upbeat piece.
52.Norrec – Haha that did remind me of the show. The playing was nice. If you aren’t already familiar with the tune from the show, check out the theme “Brothers” (Germanseabass on youtube has an excellent rendition) that you might also like – sheets were also made on his website.
53.notbach – I’ve never heard a performance of this piece prior either so yours will be the “standard” now smile . It was nice, especially considering the time put into it.
54.lyricmudra – It may be a work in progress, but it sounded good nevertheless!
55.Redkat – Though I feel the tempo could’ve been a bit more secure in places (like I critiqued mine! Haha), I do think you conveyed the feeling of the piece quite nice. I’m glad you had fun with challenging yourself – for such a work, it’s rewarding.
56.Grouchomarx – I really liked it, but wish I could’ve enjoyed the whole thing (cadenza and all wink )!
57.Tiago84 – Textbook playing – but almost too much so! Feel free to exercise a bit more freedom with the tempo. That being said, though, very enjoyable and accomplished playing. Congratulations on the first recital!
58.AndyMc – Nice playing/composition. Welcome to the forums.
59.yohyrral – Larry Hoy spelt backwards? No wonder your username is so weird, haha. As far as your playing goes, it was very nice! I enjoyed being introduced to such nice new melodies.
60.BillM – Very serene playing, Bill. Your playing complemented your voice spectacularly. Calming and quite pleasant
61.PianoStudent88 – I don’t know about Ivan, but you certainly sing in your playing smile . Very nice

Special [much sought-after] Pickle Award recipients:
Favorite performance: Monica K
Favorite composition: ladypayne – A New Change
Favorite piece: Bach – Prelude and Fugue in E minor WTC bk. 1 BWV 855 (Sam S)
Favorite new piece [I hadn’t heard prior]: Theme from Schindler’s List (Greener & DaveinDenton; melodies from different parts of the same movie, I hear, but both still gorgeous)

Thanks to everyone for the opportunity to play like this and be heard.

Last edited by Bobpickle; 08/17/12 03:28 AM.
D
D
Comment by Dadagains Daughter:

25 Cookie74 - Bach Invention #4
Definately a good performance. You are right the recording really flattens out the dynamics. I had the same problem when I recorded it last year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7-mlXar864
(I play it a bit slower than you too)

Parent....
Orchestral Viola player (stictly amateur)....
Hack Pianist.... (faded skills from glory days 20 yrs ago)
Vague Guitar & Bass player.... (former minor income stream 15 yrs ago)
Former conductor... (been a long time since I was set loose with a magic wand!)
B

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B
As far as for #62 (Mister Sam Rose), maybe if you visited the forums more and didn't wait until 10 minutes to the supposed cutoff to try and submit your piece *waves finger*! Just kidding, just kidding (sort of wink )

I watched your performance on youtube (actually on the 14th when u uploaded it - I'm subscribed to your channel) and liked it.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This is my last batch of reviews. To everyone- great job. A big thank you laugh to Monica and everyone that helped make this recital possible. It is a wonderful gift you are giving to the rest of us and it is greatly appreciated.

01. wouter79 - La Poule (Nouvelles suites de pieces de clavecin, No.12) Crystal clear playing! It is a very busy piece, but you managed to balance it well with steady rhythm. The image of cackling, clucking hens scurrying about makes this piece very fun. You gave it a great feel. This is an outstanding job for only 2 ½ years at the keyboard.

02. dannylux / Mel - Bortkiewicz Lyrica Nova Op.59 No.3 This a very soothing, floating piece. Your interpretation was very nice. I like the relaxed feeling that you gave it.

03. BenPiano - Prelude Op. 17 No 6 I am not familiar with Scriabin, but you played this beautifully. I like the clarity of the melody and the gentle touch that you gave it.

04. Jazzwee - Invitation A live performance! That is a treat. Your playing is very free and competently. You make it sound so easy to improvise! Wonderful performance.

05. Inlanding - Glen - Warum? Op 12 No 3 You gave this piece a sensitive touch that accents the questioning nature of it. Very delicately played to great affect. Fantastic.

06. Mr Super Hunky - There is love (The wedding song) I love your beautiful, full arrangement of this song that maintains its light character. Very nice!

08. CarlosCC - Ambers You really have the touch for this genre of music. This is absolutely beautiful. With the openness of this piece it could get lost, but you hold it together and give it substance were well.

09. Diana - Raymond - Theme from Overture Great job! Nice steady rhythm and good clarity. Your doing fantastically for five months experience!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
16. Peyton - Mazurka #4 in A Minor - Peyton, it's very good, and not easy at all! I think it's the first time I heard this Mazurka and you gave it a "special" touch with your brilliant playing. Very good!

17. ladypayne - A New Change - Ladypayne, I like your piece a lot. Your compositions are getting better and better. I loved the story beyond this piece. Thanks for sharing this!

18. Riddler (Ed) - Slaughter On Tenth Avenue - Riddler, such ability is amazing. I can see you're very comfortable with this piece. You make what you want with it. Incredible!!!

19. Greener / Jeff Green - Schindler's List - Theme - Jeff, that's it, I'm going to put this piece on the top of my "to-do list". I think you play it with the right mood. I loved this melody since the first time I heard it. Beautiful.

20. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Rigaudon & Entree - Cheryl, this is a very concentrated and clean interpretation. I like your image of a "puzzle" because that's exactly what seems to me too. Congratulations!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
21. timmyab - Moment musical Nr.2 - wow, it sounds professional to me. Very, very good work in a hard piece. I loved the changes along the piece that you played extremely well and, IMO, the tempo and beats are just right. Congratulations.

22. Lady Chen - Nocturne in E minor, op. 72, no. 1 - I share your feelings about Chopin. As you, I think Chopin demands, among an extraordinary technic, some life experience of the performer. It's a brilliant interpretation. Congratulations.

23. MrPozor - Minuet in A minor - Z649 - MrPozor, I'm also a self-learning guy, so I can imagine the dedication and the effort you put on this. Only 4 months of experience? You are in the right way! Congratulations!

24. Monica K. - Fairy Tale - Monica, this time was your turn to play Einaudi smile . It's seems we switched our "roles". Anyway, I was reading this piece and I was not too far of selecting it for this season. Your rendition is an excelent guide and this is one more for my (long) to-do list. great job!

25. Cookie74 - Invention No. 4 in D minor - Cookie74, I always admire those who play Bach, because it seems to me so complicated and tricky... Congratulations on this piece. Although I am not an expert on Bach I think your opening on ABF recitals was great!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Random Reviews...

26. Mile Hi Steve - Leaning on the Everlasting Arms

Really nice performance of a good arrangement of this classic hymn - enjoyed listening Steve - would like to hear more of these gems from you in the future...

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
Thank you jotur,Inlanding(Glen),AndyMc,Andy Platt,jazztpt,SwissMS,CarlosCC, Monika K, Clemente,Cmohr,Bill M, TX-Dennis,Jazzwee, Bobpickle for all of your wonderful comments. I can honestly say that I’ve gotten more positive feedback in the last couple of days than in all of my playing time combined.

I’ve cut-and-pasted your comments into a word document for inspiration.

Now on to more listening…

Originally Posted by CMohr
13. kenjazz - ... (I'm a huge Hazeltine fan, too.) ...

Now I know I've found a home!

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Another batch of 5:

26. Mile Hi Steve - Leaning on the Everlasting Arms - Just knowing that you worked to offer this piece to a church is enough to give congratulations. Good job!

27. Bobpickle - June (Barcarolle) - I read twice your bios because it's amazing how you can play this at the end of 8 months... It's unbelievable.

28. joangolfing - The Poet Speaks - Your new yamaha has a great sound, the piece is a true poem, and you join it all together with a sublim rendition. Good job!

29. Mar_red - Rosemary's Baby - Lullaby - It's really, really beautiful. Your interpretation is very solid, and affecting. It did not let me indifferent. Thanks for sharing. Congratulations.

30. cscl - Bagatelle in G minor, Op. 119, No. 1 - Very clear interpretation of this Beethoven piece. All the phrases are in the right place and you keeped a constant balance along the entire (far from easy) piece. Good job!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
42. CMohr - Imagination The only version of this song that I’m familiar with is by Stan Getz done as a real straight 4 number. Its kind of schmaltzy done that way. I love your lonely bar ambiance approach to this. I have some background noise from a lonely bar in Hamburg that would sound perrrfect mixed in with this.
50. Falmc - Sweet Sereny I commented on this one in the piano bar. This is such a memorable melody, and I’m sure it had its intended effect on your girlfriend. Oh, those heart stealing musicians….

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Thank yous:

Thanks SwissMs, PianoStudent, Clemente, and Bobpickle
I’m glad you enjoyed the photos and thank you for the kind words on behalf of my mom. She is a fighter, as you probably got from the first photo. I also appreciate the kind words about my singing. I know I have work to do there, but like Recardeo with his beloved Beethoven, I so wanted to sing this for her.

Comments:

Not usually one to follow the crowd, I think I will this time and make the rest of my reviews “random” selections. Not out of any desire to ignore or exclude anyone, but because after all the playing and obsessively trying to master video editing in two days, typing the first ten reviews has my arm in need of some down time. Since I’ve already typed them that way, though, here are my responses to the first 10 contributions in non-random order:

1. Wooter79 – Once again I’m amazed by your discipline and dedication to improve your skills. I’m sure it will pay off dividends in helping you play the kind of music you want to play. Your speed and control are impressive for the short time you’ve been playing.

2. Dannylux -- You play music I never hear anywhere else. It makes me think of ladies in long white dresses with parasols strolling near the sea. I think you must have lived an earlier life in the 19th century, you convey the sensibility so well, even though this one was written in 1940.

3. Ben The Romantics have the floor. This also sounds like an impressionist painting, very expressively colored. I always get excited when I seen this composer’s name on the roster, which isn’t really true of any other classical composer, except the ones Dannyux lists, most of whom I never heard of. Great job!

4. Jazzwee – This also makes me think of the impressionists even though the style is very different. Maybe it’s closer to Expressionism since that was the rage when Kurt Weill was writing his music and this sounded like a fragmented version of his “Speak Low,” which is one of my forever favorites. It made me want to see our favorite combo, partly because I was frustrated by the sound quality – but enticed by the performance. If you were in my neck of the woods I definitely visit your club.

5. Inlanding – Did someone spike the national water supply with LSD so everyone’s seeing the world through the 19th Century (except Wouter's whose feet are planted firmly in the 18th)? Even you have departed from your beloved jazz vernacular to play a classical piece (of which you are eminently qualified to do BTW). You really can do it all, can’t you? You’re one of the most versatile pianists around here. Your playing this gave me an image of a Degas painting. Graceful young ballerinas—all of whom I’m sure would be honored to dance to your lovely accompaniment.

6. Mr. Super Hunky – I don’t recall ever hearing this on the piano but your style is perfectly suited to render it that way. Great arrangement (or noodling, depending on what stage your noodling is in, mine isn’t good enough yet for this kind of performance). My widowed sister recently jumped back into the dating pool, and I’m saving this to sing at the wedding I somehow know is in her future. Great job!

7. SwissMs Do you live near the Alps from where you are In Switzerland? Because your playing so sublime, I’m wondering if your piano is near a window with a view of them that is a constant source of inspiration for you. I saw them in my mind’s eye with this one. Wunderbar! (or whatever it is they say in Switzerland).

8. CarlosCC You are such a natural! Your playing seems to spring effortless from your heart as if you’d been playing all your life instead of the mere 2-1/2 years you have. I could listen to you all day.

9. Diana I can tell you have a lot of talent even from this brief piece. Perhaps what I said about Carlos will turn out to be true of you as well. Keep it up!

10. Recaredo I don’t know enough about classical technique to know what’s wrong with yours. I thought this was a darn impressive performance for someone playing only as long as you have. Personally I think Beethoven inspires you more than pedagogy and playing him and listening as you play is ultimately better for your technique than technics. Plenty of people learn to play technically well without much feeling or understanding of what makes the music live and breathe. Yours breathes.

Last edited by Starr Keys; 08/17/12 08:29 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
31. jotur/Cathy Turner - Dill Pickle Rag - Cathy, your piece put a smile on my face. I love ragtime, so everytime I listen a rag piece like this, i feel happy smile . Thanks! Good job!

32. TrapperJohn - Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again (from "Phantom...") - TrapperJohn, I was waiting for your piece. As usual, you give such useful information about it. Almost so good as your interpretations smile . I like it a lot!

33. knotty - Petite Fleur - knotty, at the beginning I tried to mentaly isolate the piano part of this song but... I couldn't. The whole solo instruments are good and attractive, and the result is great! The piano solo is realy nice!

34. Andy Platt - Prelude in E Minor (Opus 28, No 4) - Chopin is always beautiful. I love it, and you did a delicate and serious job on this piece, very nice to hear. Very good!

35. Newman - Desperado - My friend, for me is 100% 'pianoished'. I paid to hear more like this. My sincere congratulations!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
17. ladypayne - A New Change
This is an outstanding piece of work! The pictures and your original composition are stunning. What will you be doing in Alaska?

18. Riddler (Ed) - Slaughter On Tenth Avenue
This is much different from your usual style. If Mrs. Calabash isn’t proud of you she has no sense and should be banned from giving lessons for life. You get a wonderful, full sound from your piano. This is an outstanding performance. Wow!

19. Greener / Jeff Green - Schindler's List - Theme
Your piano produces a melancholy tone that perfectly complements your touching and expressive performance. I really enjoyed listening to you play.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission